How can a player who plays no defense (Lillard) be a serious MVP candidate?

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,472

Re: How can a player who plays no defense (Lillard) be a serious MVP candidate? 

Post#21 » by 70sFan » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:20 pm

Iverson over Duncan in 2001 is a disgrace
McBubbles
Rookie
And1: 1,246

Post#22 » by McBubbles » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:05 am

Prior to Giannis in 2019 the last MVP to make an All Defensive Team was Lebron in 2013. Defence has never been a requirement to win MVP, and became even less needed after the rule changes in 05.
You said to me “I will give you scissor seven fine quality animation".

You left then but you put flat mediums which were not good before my scissor seven".

What do you take me for, that you treat somebody like me with such contempt?
sansterre
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,813

Post#23 » by sansterre » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:22 am

70sFan wrote:Iverson over Duncan in 2001 is a disgrace

And yet, if it's the kind of glaring mistake that makes us go "Egads Barnaby, let's not do something that dumb again" then maybe our having learned from it kind of lends it a perverse kind of value, however ridiculous it was on its face.
"If you wish to see the truth, hold no opinions."

"Trust one who seeks the truth. Doubt one who claims to have found the truth."
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,184

Post#24 » by Cavsfansince84 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:31 am

Who considers Lillard to be a serious mvp candidate?
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,335

Post#25 » by Texas Chuck » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:08 am

Cavsfansince84 wrote:Who considers Lillard to be a serious mvp candidate?

I only have 2 players ahead of him right now so I guess I do.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
freethedevil
Head Coach
And1: 3,229

Post#26 » by freethedevil » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:49 am

70sFan wrote:For all this talk of how overpaid Gobert is, give me him over Lillard without thinking twice. Gobert is a legit MVP candidate this season, not Lillard.

Never thought a player could be mvp-worthy off screens and defense in the modern game but its tough to argue gobert isn't worthy.
picko
Starter
And1: 3,381

Post#27 » by picko » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:33 am

I don't think I'd consider him a genuine MVP candidate. He's incredibly entertaining and an outstanding scorer but there has been no point this season where I've grouped him with LeBron or Jokic or Embiid. And no previous season where I've given him any serious consideration.

The only all-offense player I've ever considered MVP was Nash and that's because he was an offensive system, everything they did offensively was tied to his unique set of skills. A style that eventually revelutionised the sport.
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,019

Post#28 » by JN61 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:36 pm

I don't think Lillard is serious MVP candidate. He is top 10 sure, but none of past 5 are actually serious candidates. They are there just to fans to have something to discuss. He is poor defender and his offense can be a bit streaky at times (like vs Wizards) but he is still top 10 player in the league. What would take Lillard to the next level if he had playmaking ability and vision of prime Westbrook. He would then actually be top 3 MVP candidate without a doubt. He is already superior scorer to peak Westbrook so if he just had point guard vision he would take that next step.
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
freethedevil
Head Coach
And1: 3,229

Post#29 » by freethedevil » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:21 pm

picko wrote:I don't think I'd consider him a genuine MVP candidate. He's incredibly entertaining and an outstanding scorer but there has been no point this season where I've grouped him with LeBron or Jokic or Embiid. And no previous season where I've given him any serious consideration.

The only all-offense player I've ever considered MVP was Nash and that's because he was an offensive system, everything they did offensively was tied to his unique set of skills. A style that eventually revelutionised the sport.

Well teh question then, if lillard hasn't been playing mvp level basketball, how do you explain the trailblazers being 18-10
KobesScarf
Veteran
And1: 602

Post#30 » by KobesScarf » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:22 pm

Kawhi and Embiid shouldn't be in the MVP conversation at this point
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#31 » by nolang1 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:15 pm

Because he plays the media game well and has 100x bonus points from sportswriters for playing with the same team for his entire career.
Bayaz
Sophomore
And1: 3

Post#32 » by Bayaz » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:15 am

Because individual defense isn't that important.
AWGXXX
Ballboy
And1: 10

Post#33 » by AWGXXX » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:41 am

You can only lose so much value being a 6'3 guard asked to guard a teams worst perimeter talent anyways lol, it really isn't nearly as needle moving as you think it is

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app

Return to Player Comparisons