ImageImageImage

Activity in trade talks until the trade deadline

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

How aggresive should Dallas be on the trade market until the trade deadline (March 25th)?

1 - Completely passive (i.e., no discussions, nobody is made available in trade talks)
No votes
15%
15%
19%
5 - Completely aggressive (i.e., everyone except for Luka is made available in trade talks)
50%

Total votes: 26

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,898

Re: Activity in trade talks until the trade deadline 

Post#41 » by HMFFL » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:54 am

Teffer10 wrote:
HMFFL wrote:Coach Carlisle thinks Dallas will be active before trade deadline

On @1053thefan just now, Rick Carlisle said he doesn't see a big man/rebounder as a pressing trade-deadline pursuit, but "You know Mark and Donnie. These guys are gunslingers. They're riverboat gamblers, and they're ready to talk about anything that would get the team better."

https://thesmokingcuban.com/2021/02/19/mavericks-rick-carlisle-trade-deadline/amp/

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

I understand why people might want Drummond to improve some of our frontcourt woes but I don't see the Mavs FO and Rick wanting any part of him on this team.
Rick isn't going to completely change his system to accommodate a role player (at best) to address one issue when there are several other issues as well.

I'm a little surprised Nikola Vucevic's name hasn't come up more as a potential trade target. Doesn't necessarily solve all of our problems but seems to fit our system and would at least improve rebounding. I know his name came up a quite a bit when he was a FA. Seems like he'd be a better target than Drummond.

I agree, Nikola seems content with Orlando, so I suppose it's a non topic.

Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,034

Post#42 » by Mavrelous » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:55 am

Mr B wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They just guaranteed him!!!
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#43 » by HMFFL » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:57 am

KhalilS wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

I respect them for doing that and granting what he wanted.
I hope he doesn't give the Lakers a second chance.

ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,100

Post#44 » by ozwizard8 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:01 am

Teffer10 wrote:
KhalilS wrote:I don't think he's a guaranteed success, but he's for free basically and there are 30 minutes of big man missing in the rotation even w/o KP being injured, at any rate, it's a moot point, management is clearly not interested, otherwise it would've already happened.
I'm not big on KP's fit, he needs a strong 4 next to him and Mavs don't have that, I would've went for KP/Powell for Adams/Bledsoe/Ball + (some of) Bucks picks, KP is a great fit in the Pels, Adams is good fit next to Luka, and it keeps the cap situation in tact, while adding promising picks. but it depends how managemt view KP.

You and I think Adams is a good fit next to Luka but Rick certainly doesn't see it that way.
KP is a RC dream but if he is playing 30ft from the basket most of the time we are basically a centerless team.
I like the KP/Powell for Adams/Bledsoe/Ball idea BTW.

KP presents a problem because he isn't a center but isn't quick enough to guard PFs. We basically need a better version of Maxi for us to be any kind of contender. If we don't put some kind of size and strength next to KP who can somewhat guard the perimeter, we might as well expect the same results.

What do you think about KP/THJ/Johnson for Vuc/Gordon/Fourier?

Adams/Bledsoe/Ball would be the funeral of Doncic.3 non-shooter. Awful spacing.
I have watched many S.Adam's games in OKC. He got worse and worse. People blamed Melo then WB-PG, sometimes J.Grant but Adams was getting paid $25m/year without creating a difference on any side of the ball.

On defense, he cannot switch to any guards or forwards. He can't guard any pick n roll action. Adams can't even defend 1-on-1 against big men with a perimeter game. KP had a field day against him, dropping easy 30+pts. Jokic-KAT-Embiid-Davis and more would have wide open shots when defended by Adams.
On offense, Adams clog the lane which reduce whole player offensive efficiency. He sets good screens but he can't shoot. He's slow and not a good finisher for p&r action. He gets occasional off. rebounds but he also lets transition/fast breakpoints due to his lack of quickness. With Adams, the type of offensive plays you can play gets so limited.

Mavs should not take him unless they get 2-3 first-round picks.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#45 » by ozwizard8 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:08 am

HMFFL wrote:
KhalilS wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

I think Drummond/Cousins should not join a team for a ring-chase.

Cousins/Howard only got a vet.min after last years title run. Mcgee is getting 4m/year.
Mavs gave a D.Powell $33m/3 years contract. Mavs were willing to give $70m for Nerlens Noel.
They should look for more minutes and meaning playoff race where they'd have role.

Other than Nets, I think they'd be bench warmers for Lakers/Clippers/76ers/Bucks/Jazz type of contenders.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#46 » by Mavrelous » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:25 am

ozwizard8 wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:
KhalilS wrote:I don't think he's a guaranteed success, but he's for free basically and there are 30 minutes of big man missing in the rotation even w/o KP being injured, at any rate, it's a moot point, management is clearly not interested, otherwise it would've already happened.
I'm not big on KP's fit, he needs a strong 4 next to him and Mavs don't have that, I would've went for KP/Powell for Adams/Bledsoe/Ball + (some of) Bucks picks, KP is a great fit in the Pels, Adams is good fit next to Luka, and it keeps the cap situation in tact, while adding promising picks. but it depends how managemt view KP.

You and I think Adams is a good fit next to Luka but Rick certainly doesn't see it that way.
KP is a RC dream but if he is playing 30ft from the basket most of the time we are basically a centerless team.
I like the KP/Powell for Adams/Bledsoe/Ball idea BTW.

KP presents a problem because he isn't a center but isn't quick enough to guard PFs. We basically need a better version of Maxi for us to be any kind of contender. If we don't put some kind of size and strength next to KP who can somewhat guard the perimeter, we might as well expect the same results.

What do you think about KP/THJ/Johnson for Vuc/Gordon/Fourier?

Adams/Bledsoe/Ball would be the funeral of Doncic.3 non-shooter. Awful spacing.
I have watched many S.Adam's games in OKC. He got worse and worse. People blamed Melo then WB-PG, sometimes J.Grant but Adams was getting paid $25m/year without creating a difference on any side of the ball.

On defense, he cannot switch to any guards or forwards. He can't guard any pick n roll action. Adams can't even defend 1-on-1 against big men with a perimeter game. KP had a field day against him, dropping easy 30+pts. Jokic-KAT-Embiid-Davis and more would have wide open shots when defended by Adams.
On offense, Adams clog the lane which reduce whole player offensive efficiency. He sets good screens but he can't shoot. He's slow and not a good finisher for p&r action. He gets occasional off. rebounds but he also lets transition/fast breakpoints due to his lack of quickness. With Adams, the type of offensive plays you can play gets so limited.

Mavs should not take him unless they get 2-3 first-round picks.

Yeah, the deal should include the Bucks picks or part of them.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#47 » by HMFFL » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:24 pm

ozwizard8 wrote:
HMFFL wrote:
KhalilS wrote:They just guaranteed him!!!

Cousins/Howard only got a vet.min after last years title run. Mcgee is getting 4m/year.
Mavs gave a D.Powell $33m/3 years contract. Mavs were willing to give $70m for Nerlens Noel.
They should look for more minutes and meaning playoff race where they'd have role.

Other than Nets, I think they'd be bench warmers for Lakers/Clippers/76ers/Bucks/Jazz type of contenders.

I don't see an issue with Cousins ring chasing. He's not s future hall of fame player so I don't see an issue. Winning a championship seems to be one of his goals and after turning down 2yrs, $40m from New Orleans prior to being injured, he more than likely realizes he won't ever be offered similar money.

Drummond on the other hand needs to be part of a good system and will more than likely seek a longterm deal. He has his flaws but he's more valuable than all of the players you mentioned. He's worth more and will receive more, too. I'm not even a big Drummond fan, I don't believe he's worth anything close to 28m per season, but he's certainly worth more than the minimum. Minimum I expect him to receive is 4yrs, 80m.

DBoys
Starter
And1: 220

Post#48 » by DBoys » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:17 pm

For this season, if he gets bought out, Drummond will almost certainly be a minimum salary rental to sign. In theory, he can offer everything the Mavs might wish for. Too bad his track record is of a player who lacks the desire to play that way.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#49 » by Mavrelous » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:06 pm

Man I'm watching the Celtics-Pels game, Zion looks human again when facing Theis/Thompson, remember how he feasted on KP/Maxi.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#50 » by Mavrelous » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:09 pm

And of course he dominates the 4th quarter and gives them 2 point lead with an And 1 6 seconds to go :)
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#51 » by ozwizard8 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:49 pm

HMFFL wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:
HMFFL wrote:I respect them for doing that and granting what he wanted.

I don't see an issue with Cousins ring chasing. He's not s future hall of fame player so I don't see an issue. Winning a championship seems to be one of his goals and after turning down 2yrs, $40m from New Orleans prior to being injured, he more than likely realizes he won't ever be offered similar money.

Drummond on the other hand needs to be part of a good system and will more than likely seek a longterm deal. He has his flaws but he's more valuable than all of the players you mentioned. He's worth more and will receive more, too. I'm not even a big Drummond fan, I don't believe he's worth anything close to 28m per season, but he's certainly worth more than the minimum. Minimum I expect him to receive is 4yrs, 80m.

Teams should not pay Drummond that much but I can't argue that he won't be getting that money. If he just signs with Lakers, he might not get enough minutes to command such a contract though. Nets or a team competing for playoff would be a better option for him. Drummond's case is similar with Whiteside imo. They both don't contribute to W column.

I believe Cousins already won a ring last year. I don't think any NBA player should leave that much money for a title run. Cousins made a mistake with not signing 40m/2 year deal and I think he thought he can get a max deal. Similar to Noel situation. After all, Adam Morrison won two rings. It doesn't mean much though.
I'd understand players like Melo, CP3 looking for a one-last title run to complete the last career achievement for them. I don't think Cousins/Drummond are in that position. Drummond winning a title as a 3rd string center for the Lakers won't improve his career achievements much.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#52 » by Darren » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:04 am

KP, J-Rich, Brunson for Wiseman, Wiggins, 1st
DBoys
Starter
And1: 220

Post#53 » by DBoys » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:16 am

ozwizard8 wrote:Teams should not pay Drummond that much but I can't argue that he won't be getting that money.

. . . . . . . .

I believe Cousins already won a ring last year. I don't think any NBA player should leave that much money for a title run. Cousins made a mistake with not signing 40m/2 year deal and I think he thought he can get a max deal.

Drummond can't sign what he's not offered. Teams are getting smarter about paying stupid money to players who have size but are very inefficient in what they give you in scoring and don't especially add to "team." Of course some GM can go crazy and give a big deal, but Whiteside is a good recent example of how the huge money can go away for a player like that.

Unfortunately Drummond has years of putting up empty numbers and self-focused play, so his appeal of having "potential" (because of his size and athleticism) is really dwindling.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 3,957

Post#55 » by Mr B » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:42 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Mr B
RealGM
And1: 3,957

Post#56 » by Mr B » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:43 am

KP for Drummond?

ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#57 » by ejs78 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:46 am

Just remember the source is Bleacher Report. Wouldnt put a ton of stock into it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,795

Post#58 » by dirkforpres » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:13 am

Mr B wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Shocking that they would actually do what they need to do. Lavine and Markkanen please
FIRE JASON KIDD
preldzic
Junior
And1: 345

Post#59 » by preldzic » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:33 am

dirkforpres wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Shocking that they would actually do what they need to do. Lavine and Markkanen please

This is such a difficult decision to make...

Unicorns like Porzingis don't come around that often. On the other hand, if a 6-9 PF/C can shoot and defend as well as a 7-3 PF/C, and that 6-9 PF/C comes with healthier knees, ankles and back, as well as a more reasonable contract... I mean, of course it's more fun to watch a 7-3 player do the same things, but this is not a circus and contribution to winning is what really matters.

I appreciate the fact that the Mavs are sniffing around, but my guess is that Porzingis doesn't have enough value right now and the Mavs aren't gonna sell low. We'll see.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,642

Post#60 » by LoveMyRaps » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:43 am

Lowry would look good in a Mavs uniform.
A package of Lowry + Boucher (and possibly a draft pick) is something I can see the Mavs FO considering.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:

Return to Dallas Mavericks