Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Re: The Official Nic Claxton Thread 

Post#101 » by MGrand15 » Fri Feb 5, 2021 4:13 am

ecuhus1981 wrote:
Paradise wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:I've got to disagree with both of you here. There isn't enough data to even remotely make a judgment on Nic. We haven't seen him play any meaningful basketball thus far. I can't make an assessment on someone who hasn't suited up in nearly a year.

The only thing we know for sure is that he is unable to stay healthy. At this point, he is a non factor until he can actually practice and play.

Reggie Perry has been sent to the Long Island for the G-League bubble. I believe it lasts for a month. No call ups until after.

Sounds like we’re rolling with Pelle, Jordan and Clax once he’s healthy.

I know that Reggie needs to develop, but develop into what exactly? Realistically, his ceiling is his current role of an 8th/9th man, he just needs to improve at his craft. If he had a string of DNP-CD's and was hopelessly mired behind a platoon of superior bigmen, I would understand sending him down. But even in a minor 6mpg role, the best place to learn how to be an NBA role player is in the NBA. Plus, that extra PF/C body can prevent us from over using our stars.

We're playing with fire by removing Reggie from the equation for a month. We do realize that 34yo's like Green and 32yo's like Durant and Jordan can pick up nagging injuries under high usage? Of course I don't wish ill for our players. This seems like an unnecessary move, with very little to gain and considerable, realistic downside.

Pelle will be taking his spot in the rotation. He's going to rack up DNPs and be behind DJ, Green, and Pelle at C. Once Claxton is back - no idea when that is - Reggie is technically the 5th center on the roster. G League is the way to go.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#102 » by ecuhus1981 » Fri Feb 5, 2021 6:55 am

MGrand15 wrote:Pelle will be taking his spot in the rotation. He's going to rack up DNPs and be behind DJ, Green, and Pelle at C. Once Claxton is back - no idea when that is - Reggie is technically the 5th center on the roster. G League is the way to go.

You're counting Jordan, Pelle, Green, Claxton and Perry each as 5's. So, who's your backup 4? TLC? Shump? Brown??? I dislike that plan. Not to mention, that's assuming full health.

It doesn't cost us a roster spot for Reggie to remain with the big club. And what do expect to gain from him getting modest PT in the Gubble? I would rather have him here.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,551

Post#103 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Feb 5, 2021 12:13 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:
MGrand15 wrote:Pelle will be taking his spot in the rotation. He's going to rack up DNPs and be behind DJ, Green, and Pelle at C. Once Claxton is back - no idea when that is - Reggie is technically the 5th center on the roster. G League is the way to go.

You're counting Jordan, Pelle, Green, Claxton and Perry each as 5's. So, who's your backup 4? TLC? Shump? Brown??? I dislike that plan. Not to mention, that's assuming full health.

It doesn't cost us a roster spot for Reggie to remain with the big club. And what do expect to gain from him getting modest PT in the Gubble? I would rather have him here.

Right now our PFs are KD and Green.

I don't like the lack of depth either but Marks is hellbent on waiting til buyout season
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
brook
Senior
And1: 115

Post#104 » by brook » Fri Feb 5, 2021 1:18 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:
Paradise wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:I've got to disagree with both of you here. There isn't enough data to even remotely make a judgment on Nic. We haven't seen him play any meaningful basketball thus far. I can't make an assessment on someone who hasn't suited up in nearly a year.

The only thing we know for sure is that he is unable to stay healthy. At this point, he is a non factor until he can actually practice and play.

Reggie Perry has been sent to the Long Island for the G-League bubble. I believe it lasts for a month. No call ups until after.

I know that Reggie needs to develop, but develop into what exactly? Realistically, his ceiling is his current role of an 8th/9th man, he just needs to improve at his craft. If he had a string of DNP-CD's and was hopelessly mired behind a platoon of superior bigmen, I would understand sending him down. But even in a minor 6mpg role, the best place to learn how to be an NBA role player is in the NBA. Plus, that extra PF/C body can prevent us from over using our stars.

We're playing with fire by removing Reggie from the equation for a month. We do realize that 34yo's like Green and 32yo's like Durant and Jordan can pick up nagging injuries under high usage? Of course I don't wish ill for our players. This seems like an unnecessary move, with very little to gain and considerable, realistic downside.

I have to remember that two-way players are allowed to play only 50 games. Then you have to offer a standard nba contract to retain him, and use a roster spot.
Maybe this move is not only made for his development, but to control this 50 games too.
With Pelle and Shumpert in, I think we can easily play without Reggie for a month.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#105 » by Prokorov » Fri Feb 5, 2021 4:49 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:
Paradise wrote:

The solution to a prolonged Green/DJ injury isnt second round rookies or 2nd round second year players. Its signing dedmon or trading for mcgee or something similar. This is a team with title aspirations, we dont need to be playing scrub d-league second rounders big rotation minutes. It was cool with perry for a few games after dealing allen, but we are past that now.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#106 » by Prokorov » Fri Feb 5, 2021 4:51 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:

We dont really play a 4. we play 4 guards/wings and a either a big or small-ball big. TLC/Brown are techincally the backup 4/F. Green for short spurts when we go "big"
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#107 » by MGrand15 » Fri Feb 5, 2021 8:37 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:

DJ, Pelle, and Perry are strictly 5s. Green and Claxton are 4/5s.

I would love to keep Reggie here but realistically, Pelle should take all his potential minutes. In the G League, he can play 30 MPG. That's really valuable for his confidence + development compared to not playing + not practicing.

I feel like you're thinking of the absolute worst case scenario. Understandable but if things go OK - Perry is just sitting on the bench doing nothing.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#108 » by Prokorov » Fri Feb 5, 2021 8:52 pm

MGrand15 wrote:
ecuhus1981 wrote:

DJ, Pelle, and Perry are strictly 5s. Green and Claxton are 4/5s.

I would love to keep Reggie here but realistically, Pelle should take all his potential minutes. In the G League, he can play 30 MPG. That's really valuable for his confidence + development compared to not playing + not practicing.

I feel like you're thinking of the absolute worst case scenario. Understandable but if things go OK - Perry is just sitting on the bench doing nothing.

He needs minutes and he needs to become a 36% or better shooter from 3 on decent volume. otherwise hard to play him
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#109 » by ecuhus1981 » Fri Feb 5, 2021 11:24 pm

I appreciate you guys talking me off the ledge with this one. I didn't think about the 2 way game limit, and I am fearing the worst. In Marks we trust.
-- Steve Martin
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#110 » by GTR11 » Mon Feb 8, 2021 7:41 pm

Progress

Read on Twitter
?s=20
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#111 » by GTR11 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:04 am

Davis getting hurt pissed me off right now. There is no way rest of that trash can show us what we might see come finals ( yeah I know I know ).
I'd rest KD for that game too. Its not like Indy and Saltics challenging us for that third seed. Captors and Miami most likely will claim those last two spots, ill take that third seed. If anything give me TrashTors.
Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,463

Post#112 » by Stone » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:09 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20

It would be nice to see Nic get some minutes. As long as he is good to go.
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
GYK
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#113 » by GYK » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:50 am

Questionable at least shows he’s getting close to ready. Huge news. While we pray for a 30mpg paint protector(*cough*Drummond*cough*). Another 18mpg pain protector gives us 36 minutes. 12 minutes of small ball(possibly end of each quarter) to offensively overwhelm and pull away.
3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Post#114 » by 3pt_chucker » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:01 pm

Excited to see Clax in action. His first game might be vs the Kings.
Shark
Lead Assistant
And1: 980

Post#115 » by Shark » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:52 pm

Looking forward to seeing what Nic can contribute. I'm not nearly as high on Clax as most here. I do think he could eventually be good player.The fact that Pelle and Vonleh haven't really gotten minutes is telling, so as long as Nic can do better than those two I'll be happy.
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#116 » by ecuhus1981 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:31 pm

Alright, go BIG GUARD!

I'm glad to see Claxton upgraded on the injury report. Hopefully, Nic can get some burn, no matter the game score or situation.
-- Steve Martin
Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#117 » by Claud » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:18 pm

Huge opportunity for Clax. Allen is gone and DJ is pretty washed.

He fits exactly the type of player we need.

A big that can play defense, protect the rim, be an intimidator on D + offensively has a much better repertoire than any other big on the roster.

He will be rusty AF but the kid has tons of talent. I think he could be a perfect 4/5 for small ball line-up that Nash loves so much.

Pelle and Vonleh are trash. We need to keep trying different guys until someone sticks.

I have more faith on Clax than those types of signings unless we're talking McGee/Drummond.
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Post#118 » by DarkXaero » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:48 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:Alright, go BIG GUARD!

I'm glad to see Claxton upgraded on the injury report. Hopefully, Nic can get some burn, no matter the game score or situation.
He won't, Nash already said that it's unlikely he gets minutes tonight, unless there's garbage time or a special situation.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#119 » by Paradise » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:17 am

Curious to see how much strength he’s added since missing the bubble.
Whiskey Slick
Pro Prospect
And1: 407

Post#120 » by Whiskey Slick » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:37 pm

Great news that Claxton is ready to return.

Great timing too, especially if Uncle Jeff misses any time.

I Just hope he can really help us off the bench. So what's the deal, can he ball or are we overrating him?

Watching that video above, it looks like he can ball and take some of the load off DJ who needs the help. Not because he hasn't been playing well as of late. He sure as heck has, but he's not getting any younger and needs the minutes restrictions because there's another 5 we can trust.

Return to Brooklyn Nets