Pau Gasol signing with FC Barcelona at age 40

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

ThatBoyNick
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,423

Re: Pau Gasol signing with FC Barcelona at age 40 

Post#21 » by ThatBoyNick » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:44 am

Nuntius wrote:
ThatBoyNick wrote:Luis Scola is still balling at 40 in Italy. Not sure what level the team is don't know the Euroleague very well.

Varese is not a EuroLeague team. Not right now at least. They used to be a EuroLeague team and they were pretty dominant throughout the 70s. Starting from the 69-70 season and up until the 78-79 season, they made the Finals every single year. They won the title 5 times and they came in second 5 times. So, yeah, they were dominant back then but they aren't that kind of team right now. They did compete in the EuroLeague in 13-14 but they lost in the qualifying round and they were unable to make the group stage.

They do compete in the highest tier of the Italian league system (called Lega Basket Serie A) but they aren't a particularly strong team over there. They usually finish on the mid-to-lower half of the table and they are currently facing relegation as they are at the bottom of the table (well, technically they are second to last since Virtus Roma has already been disqualified but the last two teams are relegated anyway so it doesn't change anything).

PS: I just want to clarify that I'm not an expert in the Italian league. I did google stuff like Varese's current standing. I started this post with the intention of clarifying that Varese is not a EuroLeague team anymore and it went from there. If we have any resident Italian fans in here or anyone else who knows the Italian league better than I do, then feel free to correct me :)

Hey man, you're an expert as far as I'm concerned, I don't know nuntius about any part of that stuff lol. Just knew Scola played is playing in Italy.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,482

Post#22 » by Mirotic12 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:39 pm

ThatBoyNick wrote:Luis Scola is still balling at 40 in Italy. Not sure what level the team is don't know the Euroleague very well.

Scola's team just plays in the Italian first division. They don't play in a European wide league (level 1 - EuroLeague or level 2 EuroCup / BCL). Looking at his club's roster, which is pretty bad for European standards, and considering that they are in 14th place out of 15 teams in the Italian League..........

the team Scola plays for couldn't win a single game in the EuroLeague in an entire season. Khimki Moscow has only won 2 EuroLeague games this season, and their roster was like light years stronger than Scola's team.

So we are not even talking remotely the same level of competition there, as to a team like Barca, if Pau joined them.

Scola did play in the EuroLeague last season with Milano. He was OK for the most part, although in the second half of the season he was pretty bad. By the end of the season, it honestly didn't look like he was capable of playing in EuroLeague anymore. Which is a shame, because he's such a fun player to watch, one of my all-time favorite players.
CaptainFanchini
Veteran
And1: 137

Post#23 » by CaptainFanchini » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:00 pm

It's official

Read on Twitter
Basketball is my religion
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,797

Post#24 » by UcanUwill » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:08 pm

ThatBoyNick wrote:
Hey man, you're an expert as far as I'm concerned, I don't know nuntius about any part of that stuff lol. Just knew Scola played is playing in Italy.

Scola is playing on Italian team thats not qualified for Europe, Pau is going to most stacked team in the Euroleague.
DAcReator
Junior
And1: 522

Post#25 » by DAcReator » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:01 pm

damn on a side not, kinda sad that he wont be with Kobe's kids anymore. Seemed like an amazing uncle figure
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#26 » by Mirotic12 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:13 pm

UcanUwill wrote:Scola is playing on Italian team thats not qualified for Europe, Pau is going to most stacked team in the Euroleague.

Is Barca really the most stacked team in EuroLeague? Their roster is nice, but it doesn't seem particularly better than several other team's rosters at all.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#27 » by Mirotic12 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 3:55 am

After practicing with Barca for several weeks, Pau is finally going to play in a game.

https://www.euroleague.net/news/i/bftelycesp6offoa/gasol-announces-friday-return-for-barca

Gasol announces Friday return for Barca!

Return to The General Board