Game 29 Portland vs Washington 7:00pm SNW

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Re: Game 29 Portland vs Washington 7:00pm SNW 

Post#21 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:35 pm

Beal was amazing last night. Nearly everything he threw up went in. Heck, even Westbrook looked decent and that pains me to admit. Honestly, I have never heard of the 3 front court players that started for them last night. I don't know why Lopez is not starting for them. He is clearly their best center, at least last night anyways. The Blazers are really hurting at center right now with only Kanter being healthy. Last night was another example of a team locking in on Lillard and forcing everyone else to beat them. Sadly, Kanter was the only one who showed up. Everyone else layed an egg.

How many games have we seen this year where the starting unit builds a decent lead in the first quarter, only to find it completely gone by half time? Too often is the correct answer. 43 points in the 1st quarter, 12 in the second quarter? How does that happen? They definitely need a better backup PG to run things when Lillard is out of the game. I'm kind of done with Hood, as well.

Hood, Simons, and Collins... $17.7M means the Blazers could take back up to $22.2M in return. I know that puts them over the tax or whatever, but if other teams can afford to do so, the Blazers should be able to do so, as well. They have a 3 year window to go for broke, then it's over. Pony up the bucks and let's make dreams happen!!!
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
whatchaknow
Analyst
And1: 716

Post#22 » by whatchaknow » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:15 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:Beal was amazing last night. Nearly everything he threw up went in. Heck, even Westbrook looked decent and that pains me to admit. Honestly, I have never heard of the 3 front court players that started for them last night. I don't know why Lopez is not starting for them. He is clearly their best center, at least last night anyways. The Blazers are really hurting at center right now with only Kanter being healthy. Last night was another example of a team locking in on Lillard and forcing everyone else to beat them. Sadly, Kanter was the only one who showed up. Everyone else layed an egg.

How many games have we seen this year where the starting unit builds a decent lead in the first quarter, only to find it completely gone by half time? Too often is the correct answer. 43 points in the 1st quarter, 12 in the second quarter? How does that happen? They definitely need a better backup PG to run things when Lillard is out of the game. I'm kind of done with Hood, as well.

Hood, Simons, and Collins... $17.7M means the Blazers could take back up to $22.2M in return. I know that puts them over the tax or whatever, but if other teams can afford to do so, the Blazers should be able to do so, as well. They have a 3 year window to go for broke, then it's over. Pony up the bucks and let's make dreams happen!!!

Who is out there? Is Aaron Gordon worth it? Julius randle available? I agree with the premise no doubt but seems the trade market is weak this year
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#23 » by DaVoiceMaster » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:00 am

Either of those two players (Gordon & Randle) would be an improvement over any combination of Hood, Simons, & Collins. I don't think Orlando or New York would bite though without additional compensation. Maybe toss in Little if a player is available and you need a bit more compensation.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#24 » by d-train » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:59 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:Either of those two players (Gordon & Randle) would be an improvement over any combination of Hood, Simons, & Collins. I don't think Orlando or New York would bite though without additional compensation. Maybe toss in Little if a player is available and you need a bit more compensation.

The most important thing Gordon and Randle have in common with Hood, Simon's, Collins, and Little is they are all substantially worse scorers than Lillard and CJ. The best thing about CJ is that he is a great scorer who is willing to defer to and complement another great scorer. This is the basis of a team. The best thing about RoCo and DJJ is their willingness to all the dirty work that facilitates more scoring opportunities for their teammates.

Neither Gordon or Randle would help our team as much as RoCo and DJJ do. Both players are classic best players on lousy team's with no interest in deferring to or complementing their teammates. Gordon is less bad than Randle, but he falls way short of RoCo and DJJ at reliably and dutifully shoveling the s__t out of the barn.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by DaVoiceMaster » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:21 pm

d-train wrote:
DaVoiceMaster wrote:Either of those two players (Gordon & Randle) would be an improvement over any combination of Hood, Simons, & Collins. I don't think Orlando or New York would bite though without additional compensation. Maybe toss in Little if a player is available and you need a bit more compensation.

The most important thing Gordon and Randle have in common with Hood, Simon's, Collins, and Little is they are all substantially worse scorers than Lillard and CJ. The best thing about CJ is that he is a great scorer who is willing to defer to and complement another great scorer. This is the basis of a team. The best thing about RoCo and DJJ is their willingness to all the dirty work that facilitates more scoring opportunities for their teammates.

Neither Gordon or Randle would help our team as much as RoCo and DJJ do. Both players are classic best players on lousy team's with no interest in deferring to or complementing their teammates. Gordon is less bad than Randle, but he falls way short of RoCo and DJJ at reliably and dutifully shoveling the s__t out of the barn.

I wasn't suggesting getting rid of RoCo or DJJ though. I'm looking for someone else to play with them.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
d-train
RealGM

Post#26 » by d-train » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:03 am

DaVoiceMaster wrote:
d-train wrote:

I wasn't suggesting getting rid of RoCo or DJJ though. I'm looking for someone else to play with them.

I don't see the skill that either of those players brings, that is needed, and is worth paying for. Randle might get a couple more rebounds, but that isn't worth getting compared to all we would lose playing him instead of RoCo, DJJ, GTJ, Melo, and Little.

I would rather have money to keep GTJ, DJJ, Collins, and Kanter. Or, I'd rather execute Hood's option next year than pay for Randle or Gordon, although I don't really like keeping Hood either. I would rather add another highly skilled veteran near the end of his career, on a cheap contract.

I like players like Gibson, Morris, Noah, Temple, and Bazemore. Even Cousins makes more sense than paying big money to players like Randle or Gordon.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by DaVoiceMaster » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:36 am

d-train wrote:
DaVoiceMaster wrote:
d-train wrote:The most important thing Gordon and Randle have in common with Hood, Simon's, Collins, and Little is they are all substantially worse scorers than Lillard and CJ. The best thing about CJ is that he is a great scorer who is willing to defer to and complement another great scorer. This is the basis of a team. The best thing about RoCo and DJJ is their willingness to all the dirty work that facilitates more scoring opportunities for their teammates.

I don't see the skill that either of those players brings, that is needed, and is worth paying for. Randle might get a couple more rebounds, but that isn't worth getting compared to all we would lose playing him instead of RoCo, DJJ, GTJ, Melo, and Little.

I would rather have money to keep GTJ, DJJ, Collins, and Kanter. Or, I'd rather execute Hood's option next year than pay for Randle or Gordon, although I don't really like keeping Hood either. I would rather add another highly skilled veteran near the end of his career, on a cheap contract.

I like players like Gibson, Morris, Noah, Temple, and Bazemore. Even Cousins makes more sense than paying big money to players like Randle or Gordon.

I was with you about keeping GTJ, DJJ, and Collins, but you lost me at Collins and Hood. I don't care if the Blazers add a highly skilled veteran near the end of their career or trade a player that is not contributing for a player that would offer more than what we're currently getting, but Noah? Bazemore? And you know I'm not a fan of Morris. Maybe Temple and Gibson. None of those names excite me though.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
d-train
RealGM

Post#28 » by d-train » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:58 am

Scraping the bottom of the barrel is never exciting. I don't want overpaid players from bad teams. I like our team as is. If we add someone, I want proven players on short cheap contracts that know how to help a team win. If Lillard and CJ aren't healthy, we can lose without any additional help.
d-train
RealGM

Post#29 » by d-train » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:58 am

DaVoiceMaster wrote:
d-train wrote:
DaVoiceMaster wrote:

I was with you about keeping GTJ, DJJ, and Collins, but you lost me at Collins and Hood. I don't care if the Blazers add a highly skilled veteran near the end of their career or trade a player that is not contributing for a player that would offer more than what we're currently getting, but Noah? Bazemore? And you know I'm not a fan of Morris. Maybe Temple and Gibson. None of those names excite me though.

Ok, I reread that post. I think I had a some good points in there, but I did a terrible job articulating them. Our difference is, I like Nurkic and Collins going forward if Collins is healthy by next off-season and his foot is structurally sound. I like RoCo, DJJ, and GTJ now. I want to keep and build on what we have for 2 more years. You want to reset the team.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by DaVoiceMaster » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:43 pm

d-train wrote:
DaVoiceMaster wrote:
d-train wrote:I don't see the skill that either of those players brings, that is needed, and is worth paying for. Randle might get a couple more rebounds, but that isn't worth getting compared to all we would lose playing him instead of RoCo, DJJ, GTJ, Melo, and Little.

Ok, I reread that post. I think I had a some good points in there, but I did a terrible job articulating them. Our difference is, I like Nurkic and Collins going forward if Collins is healthy by next off-season and his foot is structurally sound. I like RoCo, DJJ, and GTJ now. I want to keep and build on what we have for 2 more years. You want to reset the team.

Nope, I'm good with all of that, except the Collins piece If the guy could get and stay healthy and not demand too much money, I wouldn't mind keeping him around, but I don't think he is some great player, nor do I think he will be worth the contract he wants and at this point, I seriously have to question whether he will remain healthy.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018

Return to Portland Trail Blazers