There are currently 54 active players that are shooting 40% from three point range or better.

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Vampirate
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,615

There are currently 54 active players that are shooting 40% from three point range or better. 

Post#1 » by Vampirate » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:24 pm

This is absurd, and i'm not even counting the players that are actually close to 40% like shooting in the 39-40% range.

There are over 100 active players that are shooting at an above 35% clip from three point range.

Evan Fournier has the 100th best 3 point shooting percentage at 37.5%

Crazy.
G35
RealGM
And1: 7,704

Re: There are currently 54 active players that are shooting 40% from three point range or better. 

Post#2 » by G35 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:27 pm

Better athletes today than ever before......
I'm so tired of the typical......
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Re: There are currently 54 active players that are shooting 40% from three point range or better. 

Post#4 » by The_Hater » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:28 pm

The current 36.8% league average on 3’s is the best all time, and coupled with a all time high 34.9 3FGA’s per game that makes the entire thing pretty absurd. 9 seasons ago that number was 18.4 attempts per game.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,177

Post#5 » by xdrta+ » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:30 pm

What is absurd about it? More people practicing means more people better at it. Unlike something like post play it's something any player can practice.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,067

Post#6 » by therealbig3 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:30 pm

I remember when 40% from 3 was the mark of a truly elite shooter and was pretty rare. Now you might not even be top 50 in terms of percentage.

Imo, it’s all about improved offensive strategy and greater emphasis on 3pt shooting, so pretty much everyone focuses on honing their 3pt shooting, so you have so many great 3pt shooters now. It’s just improved skill level as a result of improved offensive strategy.

I’m sure people will try to diminish it though.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#7 » by The_Hater » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:34 pm

therealbig3 wrote:I remember when 40% from 3 was the mark of a truly elite shooter and was pretty rare. Now you might not even be top 50 in terms of percentage.

Imo, it’s all about improved offensive strategy and greater emphasis on 3pt shooting, so pretty much everyone focuses on honing their 3pt shooting, so you have so many great 3pt shooters now. It’s just improved skill level as a result of improved offensive strategy.

I’m sure people will try to diminish it though.

Agreed. Players have spent so much more time in the gym working on these skills. Guys that never would have felt the need to be a 3 point shooter in a different era and good shooters that have learned the value of 3 over 2. It used to be that if you ran at a shooter, he would take one dribble in and shoot the long 2, now all the great shooters have learned to jump sideways and take the 3. And the great shooters can all pull up on the break. Years ago, everyone would call this a bad shot.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Bornstellar
Head Coach
And1: 17,088

Post#8 » by Bornstellar » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:35 pm

I wonder if the empty arenas have any impact on that, or if guys are just getting better. Probably a combo of the two
Sprewell4Three
General Manager
And1: 4,771

Post#9 » by Sprewell4Three » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:37 pm

G35 wrote:Better athletes today than ever before......

How does being a better athlete have anything to do with this? You think Joe Harris is some all world athlete ? Lol

Players are just shooting and practicing 3’s more so then before.
ropjhk
RealGM
And1: 10,438

Post#10 » by ropjhk » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:47 pm

G35 wrote:Better athletes today than ever before......

Two things to consider:
1) Players increasingly are practicing the 3 point shot. This trend has been going on for years now and is still continuing. I think there's still some room to grow before we reach peak 3 point shooting in the NBA. Practice, not athletic ability, has improved 3 point shooting.

2) Players who excel at 3 point shooting are getting more playing time. Players who excel at different aspects of the game aside from 3 point shooting are increasingly finding themselves out of the league. Players who excel at athleticism but suck at 3 point shooting are being filtered out. So if anything, the emphasis on 3 point shooting should have a downward pressure on the overall athletic level of NBA players.
Anticon
General Manager
And1: 4,906

Post#11 » by Anticon » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:53 pm

And I guarantee you none of these guys could guard Shaq!
_qubik
Starter
And1: 1,336

Post#12 » by _qubik » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:22 pm

Well, after it was "discovered" its easy to say this, but its quite simple. Coaching staffs realized that the right 3 point attempts would be more valuable than 2 pt attempts, that the mid range (while I think its mandatory to have guys that can hit it efficiently) could be traded for 3pt attempts, and that could net positive results. Shooting isnt something you are born with and cant get better, its nothing like size or explosion, its a teachable skills, obviously some guys develop better, but anyone teached the right way and putting effort into practice can get better and turn into a consistent 3pt shooter. Now we are seeing the result of years of study in development, better training. I think its great, sometimes games get boring because it looks like just 3pt attempts with a lot of time remaining on the clock, on the other hand the increase in space is very good to lobs, driving dunks and all that kind of stuff we love to watch on highlight heels, and pull up heavily guarded 3s are awesome to watch too.
Schiltzenberger
Junior
And1: 394

Post#13 » by Schiltzenberger » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:28 pm

Yeah, players are practicing more 3s and hitting more..... and the average player gets a bit better in skill with every generation.

But, it's got nothing to do with 'better athletes', 'more skill' or 'better offensive strategies'. lol

It is purely and simply the way the game is being officiated. Rule changes and interpretations have slowly changed over the years, which is what has led to more 3s. So obviously, as more 3s are shot and hit....... the players know to practice 3s more now. A snowball effect.

I can't believe so many people seem to think that 10 years ago all of a sudden players figured out that 3 is worth more than 2....... omg, how did we survive in the olden days when we thought 2 was worth more than 3?
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,420

Post#15 » by scrabbarista » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:46 pm

Schiltzenberger is drastically overstating the truth, but he's right that shooters are protected like never before.

These are the factors in the shooting explosion, in order of importance, in my opinion:

1. More practicing of threes.
2. Strategy and playing time/contracts are geared toward the three.
3. Shooters are protected like never before by officiating.
4. Quiet, empty arenas.

I could see an all-time high this season, with a slight dip next season if arenas are full again.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,496

Post#16 » by zimpy27 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:52 pm

It's the reduced defensive intensity due to the dense season schedule.

I thought it was obvious
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,125

Post#17 » by clyde21 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:54 pm

combination of more sophisticated offenses than ever, but also the handicapping of defenses all over the court.

the NBA needs to allow defenses to catch up to the offenses, otherwise the product will be pretty unwatchable.

make defenses great again.
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,471

Post#18 » by dc » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:55 pm

Bornstellar wrote:I wonder if the empty arenas have any impact on that, or if guys are just getting better. Probably a combo of the two

I suspect the empty arenas are definitely a factor. We'll find out next year when (hopefully) arenas can start filling up.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
jaemulla
Freshman
And1: 37

Post#19 » by jaemulla » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:58 pm

Definitely the empty arenas. With all the chatter and movement gone players are locked in. Game situations are more similar to practice now.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 89,953

Post#20 » by Capn'O » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:22 pm

Time to drop the corners...

I've also seen a model where the arc has the same radius as current but squares off to the sideline at the same spot to eliminate the corner 3.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:

Return to The General Board