Last Chance Picks At Predicting The Eastern Conference All Star Reserves

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Who Gets Your Vote For All Star Reserve (Pick 5)

Trae Young
10%
Jayson Tatum
16%
Jaylen Brown
14%
Zach Lavine
13%
Domantas Sabonis
10%
Bam Adebayo
7%
Julius Randle
10%
Nikola Vucevic
4%
Ben Simmons
12%
Other (Name Them)
3%

Total votes: 489

Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,961

Re: Last Chance Picks At Predicting The Eastern Conference All Star Reserves 

Post#21 » by Metallikid » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:26 pm

Johnny Tomala wrote:
Metallikid wrote:Guards - Kyle Lowry, Fred VanVleet, Trae Young (Jaylen Brown will be the injury replacement for Kyle Lowry)

Forwards - Jayson Tatum, Ben Simmons, Julius Randle

Centre - Nikola Vucevic

There is no way Lowry and VanVleet make a ASG.

Last time I checked winning still counts for something.
Johnny Tomala
Veteran
And1: 2,057

Post#22 » by Johnny Tomala » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:29 pm

Metallikid wrote:
Johnny Tomala wrote:
Metallikid wrote:Guards - Kyle Lowry, Fred VanVleet, Trae Young (Jaylen Brown will be the injury replacement for Kyle Lowry)

Centre - Nikola Vucevic

The worst picks for ASG are the one based on team records. That way Korver and Jeff Teague have in their resumes that they are All Stars 'cause Hawks had good record'. That way Goran Dragic made a ASG 'cause Heat were 4th seed'.
danvato
Rookie
And1: 1,040

Post#23 » by danvato » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:36 pm

Metallikid wrote:
Johnny Tomala wrote:

Centre - Nikola Vucevic

your team is 16-15 bro. lol @ "winning"

Those Raptor wins without Lowry make him look like Kyrie.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 10,786

Post#24 » by eyeatoma » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:41 pm

Tobias Harris

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,327

Post#25 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:43 pm

Brown
Middleton
Simmons

These guys feel like they have to get in. Philly can't just have one and I'm taking Simmons over Harris

Tatum
Sabonis

Can't see leaving those two guys off either.

Harden

I don't think he's done enough in the East yet and he wasn't good in Houston, but he's a big name so he gets a spot. Which leaves one and some people will get mad.

I think I'll go Randle. I like to reward guys who don't just put up numbers but have real positive impact on their teams. So he gets the nod over Trae, Vuc and Bam.

Final 7: Brown, Middleton, Simmons, Tatum, Sabonis, Harden, Randle
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Metallikid
RealGM

Post#26 » by Metallikid » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:44 pm

Johnny Tomala wrote:
Metallikid wrote:
Johnny Tomala wrote:

The worst picks for ASG are the one based on team records. That way Korver and Jeff Teague have in their resumes that they are All Stars 'cause Hawks had good record'. That way Goran Dragic made a ASG 'cause Heat were 4th seed'.

It's a combination of being a good enough player and winning.

Kyle Lowry 2021 - 17.7 / 5.4 / 6.4 / 1.2 on .452/.388/.874
Fred VanVleet 2021 - 20.1 / 4.4 / 6.6 / 1.7 on .408/.376/.894

Those are both very good lines, with both being great on defense (Fred should be 1st team) and Kyle especially considered by players and coaches around the League as an important leader.

Kyle Korver and Goran Dragic's stats the years they were selected were well below either Kyle or FVV, and Teague's were arguable. None averaged more than 16 ppg.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,486

Post#27 » by Patsfan1081 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:45 pm

LloydFree wrote:Locks:

James Harden
Zach Lavine
Trae Young
Jason Tatum
D. Sabonis
Nik Vucevic

12th spot will go to one of Jaylen Brown, Tobias Harris, Fred Van Fleet or Khris Middleton

I think it will go to Van Fleet, because they won't want to shut out the Raptors. The spot should go to Jaylen Brown (over Jason Tatum), but they won't want to give the Celtics 2, while giving the 76ers and Bucks one player.

I think people put way to much stock into record, especially this year when we haven’t even played thirty games yet. Record only heavily ways on a pick if it’s close and a team is dramatically leading its conference. I don’t really se it this year, they’ll pick the players putting up the best numbers.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,486

Post#28 » by Patsfan1081 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:47 pm

Metallikid wrote:
Johnny Tomala wrote:
Metallikid wrote:

Those are both very good lines, with both being great on defense (Fred should be 1st team) and Kyle especially considered by players and coaches around the League as an important leader.

Kyle Korver and Goran Dragic's stats the years they were selected were well below either Kyle or FVV, and Teague's were arguable. None averaged more than 16 ppg.

You have guards putting up better numbers shooting 50% from the floor, this would only be the case if Toronto had a Atlanta type of first half(the reason Teague got a nod) and the guard depth wasn’t there. You’re also forgetting Dragic was a replacement and Korver was at a record pace shooting from the outside atthe time.
Richard4444
General Manager
And1: 5,913

Post#29 » by Richard4444 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:53 pm

If we use team record as the referential for ASG, we would have:

Over 0.580 winning record: 2 spots
Sixers: 2 - Embiid, Simmons
Nets:2 - Durant, Irving
Bucks: Giannis, Middleton

Over 0,440 winning record (less than 0,58):1 spot.
Pacers: Sabonis
Raptors: Fred
Celtics: Tatum
Knicks: Randle
Hornets: Hayward
Bulls: Lavine

Snubbed: Harden, Brown, Butler, Trae and Vuc.
BAF Brooklyn - Pre-Season NBA 2K Simulation 2023 Champions.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Boucher/Morris/Baldwin Jr
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
danvato
Rookie

Post#30 » by danvato » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:58 pm

Pretty tough in the East actually. Idk why most have Middleton as a lock, 20ppg on a 18-13 team, 3rd best in the East, not sure thats all-star worthy. Why not Tobias Harris, putting up very comparable production including borderline 50/40/90 and is on a way better team?

I've heard many list Trae Young as a lock. Maybe because the game is in Atl, but how does he get in over guys like Beal or Lavine? Do both Boston Jays deserve to be in with 15-15 record?

I think Lavine is most likely to get shafted.

Nets 3 deserve to be in, incredible numbers for all 3 and 2nd in the East.
Giannis, Embiid are locks. The rest are a coin toss imo

Btw, Gordon Hayward needs some love too.
danvato
Rookie

Post#31 » by danvato » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:14 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Brown
Middleton
Simmons

These guys feel like they have to get in. Philly can't just have one and I'm taking Simmons over Harris

Tatum
Sabonis

Harden

I don't think he's done enough in the East yet and he wasn't good in Houston, but he's a big name so he gets a spot. Which leaves one and some people will get mad.

I think I'll go Randle. I like to reward guys who don't just put up numbers but have real positive impact on their teams. So he gets the nod over Trae, Vuc and Bam.

lol @ Harden hasn't done enough in the East yet.

seriously just LMAO at the idea that a guy putting up 25ppg, league leading 11.4asp, 8.3 rpg, 50% FG, 40% 3P, 5 triple doubles, 12-6 record, would get into the all-star game cause "he's a big name".

Also, why exactly do the Sixers must have 2 all-stars? They .64 winning % is a 53 win pace in a normal season. Thats not some setting the world not fire top team that deserves their bench players in the all-star game. Look at the 16/17 season, Celtics finished as the #1 seed with 53 wins, matching the Sixers pace exactly. Guess how many all-starts they had. 1 - Isiah Thomas. Cavs finished 2nd with 51 wins, matching the Nets pace exactly. Guess how many all-stars they had. 3.
Blaze94
Freshman
And1: 93

Post#32 » by Blaze94 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:15 pm

Such a tough pick between Sabonis/Randle/Vucevic for the last couple spots..damn lol

Harden
Tatum
Brown
Lavine

should be locks
Metallikid
RealGM

Post#33 » by Metallikid » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:23 pm

Patsfan1081 wrote:
Metallikid wrote:
Johnny Tomala wrote:

You have guards putting up better numbers shooting 50% from the floor, this would only be the case if Toronto had a Atlanta type of first half(the reason Teague got a nod) and the guard depth wasn’t there. You’re also forgetting Dragic was a replacement and Korver was at a record pace shooting from the outside atthe time.

Korver averaged 12 ppg. He shouldn't have been an All-Star. You basically just helped argue my points. The Hawks record got Korver in, Teague was likely to make it in a weak East, which is exactly what we have now. Dragic was an injury replacement and even if I was wrong about my selections, it's extremely likely Fred or Kyle would be chosen as a replacement. You can put up better numbers and not win anything. Kyle and Fred both deserve to make it. I voted for Vucevic, Randle, and Trae because without those guys those teams wouldn't even be in games at all.
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,199

Post#34 » by LewisnotMiller » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:45 pm

perempe20 wrote:Indiana, Toronto, Boston, New York and Charlotte should give a player because of their record.

I never really understand that view, in and of itself. Why?
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,559

Post#35 » by DarkXaero » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:00 am

bisme37 wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:How is Harden not on that poll?

Did you read the OP? There are 7 reserves and OP thinks Harden and Middleton are locks. So he's asking who the other 5 should be. (I don't necessarily agree on Middleton being a lock but whatever.)
No my bad, the poll choices took up my entire page, so I didn't read the OP. Looking at the poll choices first, it just seemed like a weird omission.
deneem4
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,197

Post#36 » by deneem4 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:01 am

Randle
Lavine
Sabonis
Tatum

Are the for sure locks..
Pay your beals....or its lights out!!!
Bron, Bosh, Wade is like Mike, Hakeem, barkley...3 top 5 picks from same draft
mike, hakeem and Barkley on the same team!!!!
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,559

Post#37 » by DarkXaero » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:05 am

danvato wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:Brown
Middleton
Simmons

Tatum
Sabonis

Harden

lol @ Harden hasn't done enough in the East yet.

seriously just LMAO at the idea that a guy putting up 25ppg, league leading 11.4asp, 8.3 rpg, 50% FG, 40% 3P, 5 triple doubles, 12-6 record, would get into the all-star game cause "he's a big name".

Also, why exactly do the Sixers must have 2 all-stars? They .64 winning % is a 53 win pace in a normal season. Thats not some setting the world not fire top team that deserves their bench players in the all-star game. Look at the 16/17 season, Celtics finished as the #1 seed with 53 wins, matching the Sixers pace exactly. Guess how many all-starts they had. 1 - Isiah Thomas. Cavs finished 2nd with 51 wins, matching the Nets pace exactly. Guess how many all-stars they had. 3.
Utterly bizarre to think Harden hasn't done enough in the East yet. :lol: :lol:

Nets are 13-5 with Harden, and that's despite KD & Kyrie missing quite a few games in that stretch. His numbers have been phenomenal with the Nets, and he's leading them to wins over good teams as well.
cool007
RealGM
And1: 3,098

Post#38 » by cool007 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:12 am

People may not realize but Lavine is averaging 29ppg 5+rpg 5+apg on high efficiency and great TS% on a team where his 2nd best player on the team has been 32 year old Thad Young.

Think about that for a moment. Arguably, he is having a better season than Brown, Tatum, Randle, Young, Butler, Simmons.

My picks: Harden, Tatum, Lavine, Sabonis, Brown, Randle and Young.
RB34
RealGM
And1: 14,112

Post#39 » by RB34 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:14 am

FVV and Lowry? Lol put the crack pipe down
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,275

Post#40 » by Scalabrine » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:25 am

DarkXaero wrote:How is Harden not on that poll?

Cause I put him as a lock...

(read the OP)
Go Knicks!

Return to The General Board