Best offer for Collin Sexton or Darius Garland

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,724

Best offer for Collin Sexton or Darius Garland 

Post#1 » by DowJones » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:22 pm

I think Cleveland needs to move on from 1 of these 2 this summer, especially if the Cavs end up with Suggs or Cunningham. What would the trade market look like? Cleveland would only be interested in picks or young players on rookie deals and obviously more would need to be offered for Sexton.

I would personally look to move either, but I will stipulate on the front end that Cleveland would probably require more than anyone would be willing to give up for Sexton. I am still interesting in gauging what the trade market would look like.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,683

Re: Best offer for Collin Sexton or Darius Garland 

Post#2 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:28 pm

Not sure the point of the thread other than vanity which we really frown upon if you are telling us you aren't going to accept any reasonable offers. I'll leave it open, but just a heads up that if I see a number of good offers and Cavs fans all just shoot them down, then you can look elsewhere for everyone to tell you how awesome and valuable Cavs players are.

Sorry but your disclaimer has me nervous about what this thread will become so want to be clear from the jump about us just ending that.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,683

Post#3 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:31 pm

Mod stuff aside, I think this is premature. If you get fortunate enough to move up in the lottery to be in position to draft one of the stud guards next year then you look to sell one of the guards heading into the draft or on draft night. I wouldn't move one now and then end up 7th in the draft and BPA is a big and now what.

But if the Cavs want to get ahead of themselves, I'm sure there will be teams who will give you something pretty good for Sexton. Garland probably doesn't return much--lotto protected 1st maybe? And might as well keep him at that price. He has some tools and he's young enough to put it together yet.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,883

Post#4 » by TGW » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:45 pm

I'd offer Rui Hachimura straight up no chaser (for Galand).
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,081

Post#5 » by jbk1234 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:00 pm

I think you wait and see how the lottery shakes out before moving either of them. It might come down to moving one of them to move up.

But I agree that they're too small collectively to start in the same back court and this is not something that should continue into next season.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,064

Post#6 » by tidho » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:07 pm

as the OP mentioned this is likely something that would happen in the offseason, not at the deadline

i've maintained its somewhat inevitable regardless of who is drafted this year, but without knowing who they add in the draft its tough to guess what direction they would go in a deal. whomever it is, is likely the player the organization is building around.

both are promising young players that will be challenged defensively by bigger guys and whose trade value will ultimately be limited by their lack of position versatility.
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#7 » by DroseReturnChi » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:10 pm

White for garland. cavs get a taller prototypical sg so sexton can play point.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 476

Post#8 » by DetroitDon15 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:26 pm

As a Pistons fan, it might sound crazy but I’d be willing to love Killian Hayes and Seku for one of them. Probably Garland as he is signed longer. I’m ready to move on from both already. Need guys who can push the speed up a little bit. Maybe include a Blake/Dre swap in the deal if I could get it to fly.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#9 » by Stillwater » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:45 pm

Garland for Poku and salary filler make it happen Coby lol
Read on Twitter

Cavs are not getting much for DG despite some improvement beyond a different player with upside, and Sexton is not available at all imo
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
DowJones
RealGM

Post#10 » by DowJones » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:49 pm

jbk1234 wrote:I think you wait and see how the lottery shakes out before moving either of them. It might come down to moving one of them to move up.

But I agree that they're too small collectively to start in the same back court and this is not something that should continue into next season.

Yeah, the lack of length between the 2 has proven to be problematic. You wait for the draft to see who you end up with. Getting a Kuminga or Barnes May change things.
DowJones
RealGM

Post#11 » by DowJones » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:51 pm

DroseReturnChi wrote:White for garland. cavs get a taller prototypical sg so sexton can play point.

I would do this. I like this deal.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,223

Post#12 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:53 pm

DowJones wrote:
DroseReturnChi wrote:White for garland. cavs get a taller prototypical sg so sexton can play point.

Call the GMs.

I also liked Lauri for Garland, I think a front court of Lauri-Allen going forward is pretty awesome, would have to pay both in the offseason though
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,023

Post#13 » by mg » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:03 am

One of them probably gets moved but it won't happen now. They both look like NBA players but they don't seem to fit (most of us knew that when they drafted Garland tbh). Unfortunately starting two small guards probably isn't going to work in today's NBA. I suppose you could look at the Blazers but even they seem to have a ceiling even with a future Hall of Fame player in Lillard their backcourt.
There are too many questions regarding the rest of the future roster to trade either one at this point. The Cavs still don't know which of Sexton or Garland ultimately pans out to be the better player.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by jbk1234 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:12 am

Stillwater wrote:Garland for Poku and salary filler make it happen Coby lol
Read on Twitter

Cavs are not getting much for DG despite some improvement beyond a different player with upside, and Sexton is not available at all imo
Thank god you're not the GM.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#15 » by Revenged25 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:27 am

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:
DowJones wrote:

Call the GMs.

I also liked Lauri for Garland, I think a front court of Lauri-Allen going forward is pretty awesome, would have to pay both in the offseason though

If they could find a way to move off of Love without giving up any picks in the process that I wouldn't mind paying Lauri. I don't think Lauri will get more than 5/100 and if you put Allen at 5/90 that's not a bad amount to have tied up into your long term front court. Plus that would have Sexton/Okoro/Lauri/Allen all 24 y/o or younger. Grab someone like Cade/Suggs in the draft of even pick up a guy like Lonzo possibly as a FA.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by jbk1234 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:56 am

Revenged25 wrote:
Chicago-Bull-E wrote:
DowJones wrote:

Call the GMs.

If they could find a way to move off of Love without giving up any picks in the process that I wouldn't mind paying Lauri. I don't think Lauri will get more than 5/100 and if you put Allen at 5/90 that's not a bad amount to have tied up into your long term front court. Plus that would have Sexton/Okoro/Lauri/Allen all 24 y/o or younger. Grab someone like Cade/Suggs in the draft of even pick up a guy like Lonzo possibly as a FA.
Why would you possibly hand a player who hasn't demonstrated he's a net-positve on the court $100M?

If you're prepared to do that, you don't have to trade Garland because there's no way the Bulls match.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,979

Post#17 » by Apz » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:57 am

Revenged25 wrote:
Chicago-Bull-E wrote:
DowJones wrote:

Call the GMs.

Would pribabky cost more then sexton to just get out of that love contract if u dont want to use picks
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#18 » by Revenged25 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:06 am

Apz wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
Chicago-Bull-E wrote:
Call the GMs.

Would pribabky cost more then sexton to just get out of that love contract if u dont want to use picks

Seriously? Sexton has a lot more value than you're giving him credit for or you're massively overrating how negative of a contract Love is.
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#19 » by Revenged25 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:09 am

jbk1234 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
Chicago-Bull-E wrote:
Call the GMs.

Why would you possibly hand a player who hasn't demonstrated he's a net-positve on the court $100M?

If you're prepared to do that, you don't have to trade Garland because there's no way the Bulls match.

My bad 5/100 was too much you're right, I thought that's what Bertans got. 5/80 is what Bertans got and although it's a bad contract that's probably what you would have to pay to keep a stretch 4 that can shoot 3s efficiently. Plus he has a lot more potential to improve than Bertans going forward.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,743

Post#20 » by azwfan » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:24 am

Wow, i was going to offer the GSW '21 1st (with some sort of protection) else the '22 1st for Garland. But think the offers I've seen in this thread trump that.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.

Return to Trades and Transactions