Gobert = MVP?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Is Rudy Gobert a legit MVP candidate?

Yes
33%
No
67%

Total votes: 128

Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Re: Gobert = MVP? 

Post#41 » by Soulyss » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:30 pm

I am not sure he's even the MVP on his own team... You could argue that Mitchell is more important... heck Conley has Gobert and Mitchell beat on RPM and is shooting over 40% from 3pt.
guille_4
Sixth Man
And1: 845

Post#42 » by guille_4 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:38 pm

Threezus wrote:
guille_4 wrote:
ocelot17 wrote:Clint Capela is better and only makes about $15 million a year compared to gobert’s $40 million/year.

Gobert is definitely better than Capela, hands down.

I wouldn't call Capela better as i still think Rudy is better but this year alone Capela is pretty much on par with him as a player which imo is huge and very impressive for Clint. The hawks might have lucked into a very slightly worse version of Rudy for just the 15th pick in a crap draft and only 15 mil a year. That might be Schlenks best move he has made to date so far. They are both top 3 in rebounds and blocks and until this week both of them were #1 and #2 in defense rating. Hawks whole team had a horrible week in Drating so it hurt clints as well sadly he dropped from #1 at 101.8 to #9 at like 106. That awesome game against Joker should help bring that up a good bit though.

So in the end i say Rudy is a bit better this year still but the production from both for the price their costing Clints giving you a much better value.

So far, in the 27 games he's played this season, Capela has been playing very well.

However, until now, he has never been a plus defender. He's been barely above average, with defensive on-off splits close to 0. Comparing him with Rudy Gobert who's been the best defensive Center of the past 5 years, is a reach at this point. If he can maintain his level of play throughout the season, we'll see.
ptsuperfly
Senior
And1: 84

Post#43 » by ptsuperfly » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:50 pm

Threezus wrote:
guille_4 wrote:
ocelot17 wrote:Clint Capela is better and only makes about $15 million a year compared to gobert’s $40 million/year.

I wouldn't call Capela better as i still think Rudy is better but this year alone Capela is pretty much on par with him as a player which imo is huge and very impressive for Clint. The hawks might have lucked into a very slightly worse version of Rudy for just the 15th pick in a crap draft and only 15 mil a year. That might be Schlenks best move he has made to date so far. They are both top 3 in rebounds and blocks and until this week both of them were #1 and #2 in defense rating. Hawks whole team had a horrible week in Drating so it hurt clints as well sadly he dropped from #1 at 101.8 to #9 at like 106. That awesome game against Joker should help bring that up a good bit though.

So in the end i say Rudy is a bit better this year still but the production from both for the price their costing Clints giving you a much better value.

Jokic was sick, but the front court was so depleted he played anyway.

That said I was super impressed with Trae, and Capella is a beast. I do think he's a similar player to Rudy in defensive impact, and he's a better roll man.

Teams fear going to the rim against Gobert, and he creates a bubble around the interior, forcing teams to take floaters or mid range shots a lot more. I'd take Rudy for that reason.

The Jazz are going to be a problem, and Rudy should be at least mentioned in the MVP race.
Threezus
Veteran
And1: 1,622

Post#44 » by Threezus » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:01 pm

ptsuperfly wrote:
Threezus wrote:
guille_4 wrote:

Jokic was sick, but the front court was so depleted he played anyway.

That said I was super impressed with Trae, and Capella is a beast. I do think he's a similar player to Rudy in defensive impact, and he's a better roll man.

Teams fear going to the rim against Gobert, and he creates a bubble around the interior, forcing teams to take floaters or mid range shots a lot more. I'd take Rudy for that reason.

The Jazz are going to be a problem, and Rudy should be at least mentioned in the MVP race.

Crazy part here is Capela is one of the very few people who more often than not have Jokers number. They have played 16 times so far and Capela has gotten the better of him or kept him well below his normal the majority of the time. Check these out in their head to heads im not sure why Joker has so much problem against him compared to others.

https://www.landofbasketball.com/games_between/clint_capela_vs_nikola_jokic.htm

Jokic even does better against Rudy than he does against Capela for some reason

https://www.landofbasketball.com/games_between/rudy_gobert_vs_nikola_jokic.htm
sip
Rookie
And1: 1,313

Post#45 » by sip » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:03 pm

No way should he be in the MVP discussion. He is a great player but an MVP has to be able to completely dominate games and that simply isn't Gobert. He has those games every once in a while but legit mvp candidates do it all the time.

Sent from my SM-G988U using RealGM mobile app
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,054

Post#46 » by Rauxcee » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:58 pm

nate33 wrote:He is "in the conversation", but not really in the conversation.

He should be mentioned as one of the also-rans, but nobody is seriously considering giving him the award over Embiid, Jokic or Lebron.

This. Mentioning him as a candidate because the Jazz have the best record isn't outside the realm of possibility. But its more of an honorable mention than anything serious.

He'll win DPOY and rightfully so.

At the very least, it makes much more sense to talk about him as an MVP candidate than Mitchell.
campaignist
Junior
And1: 327

Post#47 » by campaignist » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:27 pm

Jazz fan here. He's a top 10 candidate but not a real contender, not because "he doesn't have any offensive game (he does", but because Lebron, Embiid, Jokic, etc. are just playing out of this world.
Tykross
Freshman
And1: 42

Post#48 » by Tykross » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:46 pm

6th for LEBRON

12th for "RPM, RAPTOR, BPM, LEBRON and GmSc/36"
Read on Twitter
BallinBug
Senior
And1: 482

Post#49 » by BallinBug » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:50 pm

Nate505 wrote:
BallinBug wrote:No, he is not. Let's get real, no player averaging less than 25 ppg should even be considered as a candidate. All he does is defend and rebound, he's a very good role player, but thats it.

Yeah, the best player on the best team in the NBA is just a very good role player.

Sure.

If you're averaging less than 20 points you're a role player. This dude is averaging 14 lol. Like I said all he brings is defense, rebounding and a winning playstyle, but the dude is still a 14 ppg guy. He's no mvp, not even a star.
ayyayyron
Senior
And1: 627

Post#50 » by ayyayyron » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:56 pm

Balls Deep wrote:Gobert is one of those NBA players that's there just because of size/length. Those kinds of players should never win an MVP.

No, he's not. Tacko Fall and Boban Marjanovic are only in the NBA because of their size/length. Gobert is a 2x DPOY and 3x All-NBA because he's a really good defender (and rebounder). His offensive limitations don't mean he isn't skilled.
NBA fan first, Nets fan second, Grayson Allen hater third
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#51 » by AingesBurner » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:11 am

BallinBug wrote:
Nate505 wrote:
BallinBug wrote:No, he is not. Let's get real, no player averaging less than 25 ppg should even be considered as a candidate. All he does is defend and rebound, he's a very good role player, but thats it.

Yeah, the best player on the best team in the NBA is just a very good role player.

Sure.

If you're averaging less than 20 points you're a role player. This dude is averaging 14 lol. Like I said all he brings is defense, rebounding and a winning playstyle, but the dude is still a 14 ppg guy. He's no mvp, not even a star.

So Steve Nash was a role player? Bill Russell was a role player?
Ingles is cooked.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#52 » by AingesBurner » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:12 am

Wargreymon wrote:
GobertReport wrote:He should be top 5 and maybe top 3 in voting. Best player on the best team at the end of the season should be pretty high up on MVP list but I see 1st team all NBA and DPOY.

*Looks at user name. Highly credible take and free from bias for sure.

Is he the best player on the best team so far?
Ingles is cooked.
Jazztop
Sixth Man
And1: 1,573

Post#53 » by Jazztop » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:24 am

:crazy:
durantbird
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,167

Post#54 » by durantbird » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:24 am

BallinBug wrote:
Nate505 wrote:

Sure.

What were Nash's ppg on his two consecutive MVP years?

Also, people are talking about an MVP has to have a significant impact on both end of the floor. Nash only had on one.
SwatLakeCity527
Rookie
And1: 1,328

Post#55 » by SwatLakeCity527 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:28 am

No.

But he should be DPOY, and frankly he should have been last year and 3 years ago. He should have 4 by now, but voter fatigue is a thing.

Same goes for Lebron and MVPs. We all know he should probably win it every year.
picko
Starter
And1: 3,411

Post#56 » by picko » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:39 am

No. The Jazz are an ensemble. Gobert has been the Jazz's best player but there is success is built on having a half dozen guys playing at a high level not one or two guys playing at a superstar level. He would be one of the odder MVP choices in the past 50-years if he won.
rand
Starter
And1: 3,152

Post#57 » by rand » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:42 am

GobertReport wrote:
BallinBug wrote:
Nate505 wrote:Yeah, the best player on the best team in the NBA is just a very good role player.

Sure.

So Steve Nash was a role player? Bill Russell was a role player?

Plus Chris Paul, John Stockton, Jason Kidd, Scottie Pippen, Jimmy Butler, Draymond Green, Chauncey Billups, Chris Bosh, Bam Adebayo, Kyle Lowry, Pau Gasol, Marc Gasol, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, etc., etc...

I just don't understand how some people conceptualize the game.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,483

Post#58 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:42 am

I mean he is currently the best player on the best team and in my opinion the runaway front runner for DPOY. So ya I think he should definitely be in the conversation.

Now do I think he is a favorite or would I vote for him? No. Embiid is the obvious choice right now, Jokic will be in the favorite discussion as well if that team can improve their record. But I can see Gobert finishing around 4th or 5th in voting. I think that means he was in the discussion.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,419

Post#59 » by Big J » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:43 am

No chance in hell. Even if he deserved it voters would get absolutely crucified on social media for voting for him.
Cope
Freshman
And1: 26

Post#60 » by Cope » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:15 am

:lol:

Return to The General Board