Is Giannis Antetokounmpo the best player in basketball?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Lunartic
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,256

Re: Is Giannis Antetokounmpo the best player in basketball? 

Post#21 » by Lunartic » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:07 am

Nah, I'd take Lebron, Kawhi, Curry and Durant over him

Giannis has a fatal flaw in his game
sashaturiaf
Veteran
And1: 2,757

Post#22 » by sashaturiaf » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:10 am

Giannis is now underrated. Sure his game is flawed but what he's good at he's completely dominant at. The Bucks roster just isn't good enough to challenge the real contenders. I will take Giannis shooting woes over Steph Currys defense any day

Give him Harden and Towns like Heat LeBron had Wade and Bosh and that's the favourite for the title.
Funcrusher
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,091

Post#23 » by Funcrusher » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:12 am

RoyceDa59 wrote:LeBron and KD are top 2.

Love Giannis but he can’t shoot and it’s a problem come playoff time.

I agree with all of this, but I think the bigger problem with Giannis is he has no post game, and his coach wants him to play a heliocentric game ala Rockets Harden, when he's much more suited for a hybrid initiator/cutter/rim runner roll, kinda like they're doing with Zion in NO.
gh123 wrote:Zion lucky if he gets 18 ppg on decent efficiency. Midget big man is a no-career in NBA. Chuck being the only wonder. Zion is the next Tractor Trailer at best.
SpiderX1016
Junior
And1: 334

Post#24 » by SpiderX1016 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:36 am

Until he shows up to the Playoffs, No.
Gabe Ball
Junior
And1: 131

Post#25 » by Gabe Ball » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:43 am

Not by a long shot. Great player, but to be "the best player in basketball," you have to be the "best player" not just great. Also, I find it amazing that Giannis early on had a pretty good shot, but somewhere along the line, his jump shot got messed up. He could easily be a better player if he started shooting as he did really early on, though "best player" is still a long shot.
Openheimer
Sixth Man
And1: 1,100

Post#26 » by Openheimer » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:02 am

No.
KD
Lebron
Harden
Kawhi
Davis when healthy
Embiid (officially past him)

Are all better

He is in the Luka, Curry, Jokic tier
Dnt hate
Sixth Man
And1: 899

Post#27 » by Dnt hate » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:08 am

dribble1614 wrote:This guy is having yet another monstrous season with 28/12/6 on outstanding efficiency and is an elite 2-way player. He should quite easily be in the running for his 3rd straight MVP award and yet you hear no mention of this. Yes he was disappointing in last season's playoffs but he is also the only superstar who doesn't have any other superstar teammates. Imagine Giannis with the Lakers or Nets supporting cast and another MVP level teammate. They'd win a lot more in the playoffs. Only other guy I'd take over Giannis is a healthy Durant. Embiid currently is the MVP yes, but has no proven history of playing enough games to qualify so still big question mark regarding durability / health.

He is one of the best, and a 2 time MVP :D
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,019

Post#28 » by JN61 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:09 am

Impuniti wrote:He's not even in the top tier until he either learns how to shoot or figures out a way to deal when teams focus on making him shoot towards the end of the game.

LeBron doesn't know how to shoot.
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
Packbuckman
Sixth Man
And1: 787

Post#29 » by Packbuckman » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:15 am

Giannis is approaching the best player in the league the only thing holding him back is his free throws. But his form looks way better like he’s not thinking about it really fluid.
Ya he’s at 65% but up from the 50’s he started the season at he’s been hitting mid 70’s since. If he does that going forward he will average over 30 pts a game on great efficiency. He continues to work on his game with turn around jumpers and little hooks. Jrue being out for the last 8 gms really hurt this team having to play Forbes in the starting lineup. This is probably Buds last year coaching this team unless he surprises me somehow.
shotsquatch
Sixth Man
And1: 3,519

Post#30 » by shotsquatch » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:58 am

I don't think he's the best but he is top five. The only players I would definitely take ahead of him are Lebron, KD, and Kawhi.

Giannis is misunderstood. A lot of people talk about him not having an offensive game. If he doesn't have an offensive game, then where's he getting 30 points a night from?

Giannis is fine. The Bucks supporting cast is the real problem. Even if Giannis shot 35% from three I don't think he'd be able to take this roster to the Finals. Khris Middleton is a talented offensive player, but not quite the caliber necessary to take pressure off Giannis. In the playoffs, when teams focus on shutting down Giannis, the team is left headless.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,139

Post#31 » by Raps in 4 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:04 am

No, Lebron and Steph are unquestionably better. I'd put Kawhi, KD, and Harden ahead of him too.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,139

Post#32 » by Raps in 4 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:06 am

Openheimer wrote:He is in the Luka, Curry, Jokic tier

He's in the same tier as a guy that lead a similar supporting cast to 73 wins, 2 finals appearances, and a title?
Packbuckman
Sixth Man
And1: 787

Post#33 » by Packbuckman » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:28 am

Raps in 4 wrote:No, Lebron and Steph are unquestionably better. I'd put Kawhi, KD, and Harden ahead of him too.

I can see you and people put LeBron Steph snd Kawhi ahead because of titles but Durant and harden having won **** as a lead player and their both way older.
Giannis gets his free throws under control like he’s doing that changes a lot how teams will guard him since they have to foul him a lot. **** shooting the 3 for him keep attacking from closer to the basket and keep going to the line.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#34 » by Ballerhogger » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:31 am

Id take Lebron, KD, Harden, Curry comfortably over Giannis
Joerezz7
Sixth Man
And1: 1,503

Post#35 » by Joerezz7 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:36 am

Raps in 4 wrote:
Openheimer wrote:He is in the Luka, Curry, Jokic tier

He's in the same tier as a guy that lead a similar supporting cast to 73 wins, 2 finals appearances, and a title?

Similar supporting cast to who? The Bucks? Steph cast was way better than any cast Giannis played with on the Bucks. You’re big on team right? Steph had the better team and it’s not even close.

To answer OP question Giannis is not the best player and never was.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,903

Post#36 » by HMFFL » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:36 am

Lunartic wrote:Nah, I'd take Lebron, Kawhi, Curry and Durant over him

Every player has their flaws but some are good at covering them up. Giannis are just glaring and can't be covered up. Once he begins to win in the postseason and has success fans won't have instant ammo on him to fire.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
AussieRules
Starter
And1: 2,002

Post#37 » by AussieRules » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:37 am

I think Giannis is the most dominant player right now. He can’t be the best because he’s flawed. I’ll give the title of best to Durant, Harden or Kawhi players who can do it all.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#38 » by Ballerhogger » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:38 am

HMFFL wrote:

Every player has their flaws but some are good at covering them up. Giannis are just glaring and can't be covered up. Once he begins to win in the postseason and has success fans won't have instant ammo on him to fire.

i dont see that happening this year
Lunartic
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,256

Post#39 » by Lunartic » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:02 am

HMFFL wrote:

Every single player in the top-10 has the ability to shoot from long range or at least midrange except for Giannis. He looked ridiculous last playoffs against Miami.

He needs to develop a go-to move in the high post or improve his footwork/post game. Right now he's me playing 2k, just holding down Sprint and smashing into players. That works against teams in the RS but not against good defensive schemes.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,138

Post#40 » by Impuniti » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:58 am

JN61 wrote:
Impuniti wrote:He's not even in the top tier until he either learns how to shoot or figures out a way to deal when teams focus on making him shoot towards the end of the game.

LeBron doesn't know how to shoot.

I hope this is a joke.

Return to The General Board