ImageImageImageImageImage

Raptors lose top assistant to Wolves

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,623

Re: Raptors lose top assistant to Wolves 

Post#221 » by Psubs » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:25 pm

bballsparkin wrote:Compensation would be nice but I doubt realistic. The Raptors wouldn't want to infringe on a assistant coach's chance at getting a shot as a HC. And although the Wolves have been a dumpster fire I could see why a coach would want to be there. Especially one noted for offensive systems. It's not like the Wolves will be expected to win right away. And they do have some nice pieces.

If they can just tank more and get another top 3 pick (not give it to GS), they might be okay

PG DLo - Rubio - McLaughlin
SG Edwards - Okogie - Culver
SF Beasley - McDaniels
PF Mobley - Layman
C Kay - NazReid - Hernangomez
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,481

Post#222 » by bballsparkin » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:29 pm

^^Yeah, I would much rather the Wolves keep the pick rather than another high lottery to GSW.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,525

Post#223 » by WaltFrazier » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:18 am

Boardbreaker wrote:I wasn't even aware you could hire a coach from someone else's staff in the middle of the season

Devlin on Jeff Blair today said he couldn't remember it ever. But Lionel Hollins left the Bucks in 08 to take over grizz as head coach.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#224 » by WaltFrazier » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:22 am

Asif16 wrote:What if we just end up hiring Ryan Saunders lmao

I suggested hiring David Vanterpool back from Minny in the other Finch thread but as someone replied there Nurse probably wants another old friend if he can find one.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#225 » by WaltFrazier » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:25 am

WuTang_OG wrote:
mtcan wrote:
Zeno wrote:This is a good hire by the wolves. Problem is they might be beyond help. But Finch is known to be a good big man coach. They have to do something to maximize Towns.

I think KAT is a lost cause. He is the product of a perennial loser. This the complete opposite of championship DNA.

More worried about the fame.
He suffers from the dwight howard mentality. Guy needs a smack.

Life has smacked him pretty hard this year. I feel for the guy.

Put him on a winner and he'd be fine. Like with us.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#226 » by WaltFrazier » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:52 am

MadDogSHWA wrote:
rocky_da_best wrote:
And1Skip wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Oh wow, I forgot he was Saunder's top assistant. Why didn't they just give the job to him??

Guess we're gonna do the whole race thing every time now...

Only until people have equality.

To be fair, from Dame's perspective, and I'm sure SAS's, it's another example of the old boys' network, and a lack man is left out. Finch and the GM already had a connection, hence he was hired with no interview. The NBA has nothing like the Rooney Rule, which isn't working as intended anyway.
T0R0NT0_RAPT0RS
Analyst
And1: 1,266
Location: [STH] Toronto, ON = ah.. the memories of 500 level seats at skydome...

Post#227 » by T0R0NT0_RAPT0RS » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:02 am

So much repeated comments/questions in this thread.

There is no tampering. Finch was interviewed previously by Minny. He was probably the #2 candidate. Once they knew they were wanted to fire Saunders, they likely called the Raps to ask permission to offer and negotiate a deal with Finch. Once that was done, they fired Saunders.

And there will be no compensation. And we shouldn't expect any. As much as we want to think it would be the "right thing to do" by Minny, the same could be said for the Raps to not demand one. We want to show the rest of the league how we operate and encourage promotion.

In terms of our coaching staff, we'll be fine. I'm sure the remaining assistants are smart and more than capable. Under Masai, we've built a great "next man up" culture and have been grooming our coaches well like with the stints in the GLeague.

Congrats coach Finch.
Meeksology
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,549

Post#228 » by Meeksology » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:39 am

WuTang_OG wrote:
CB4real wrote:
mtcan wrote:Is anyone gonna hire Jamaal Magloire away from us?

PLEASE and take his annoying cousin Akil Augustine with him

Are you for real? Thsts his cousin? Lol i know someone at mlse they said everyone cant stand akil hes a clown
Oh thank God! I thought I was the only one who thought akil is a clown.

Sent from my SM-N950W using RealGM mobile app
Meeksology
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,549

Post#229 » by Meeksology » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:51 am

MadDogSHWA wrote:
rocky_da_best wrote:
MadDogSHWA wrote:
Only a racist would refer to my post as 'preaching'.

Ok so let me get this straight. So at first I was an **** but in your eyes probably a racist because I think that Chris Finch got the job because he has a better resume. Then you came at me because you didn't like what I implied with my original post. Then I corrected you and you got upset because I made you look foolish. And now you're clutching at straws, jumping to more conclusions, and calling me a racist because of my word choice? Ok lol. I forget why I had you blocked but I guess it makes sense now.

Dame is speaking out against racism. You're speaking out against him. Easy math.

Just block me and I'll do the same with you and it will be like the good old days when this place actually had an ignore feature.
Ur reaching fam. And ya im a minority.

Sent from my SM-N950W using RealGM mobile app
jeffya2
Veteran
And1: 2,982

Post#230 » by jeffya2 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:31 am

will wrote:
mtcan wrote:
will wrote:Hopefully Chris Finch can inspire CAT.

[b]Chris Finch couldn't inspire Matt Thomas...good luck with KAT.[/b]

Now that he is gone maybe Matt can find his shot, that Finch seems to have Broken

:o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,338

Post#231 » by WuTang_OG » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:13 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
mtcan wrote:I think KAT is a lost cause. He is the product of a perennial loser. This the complete opposite of championship DNA.

More worried about the fame.
He suffers from the dwight howard mentality. Guy needs a smack.

Life has smacked him pretty hard this year. I feel for the guy.

Put him on a winner and he'd be fine. Like with us.

nah wouldn't want him. Not worth the money and not a top 2 star on a winning team imo.
RalphWiggum
RealGM
And1: 8,224

Post#232 » by RalphWiggum » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:49 pm

There's 30 head coaching jobs on the planet. If you get offered one mid season when you've never been a head coach before you jump all over it. Also pretty nice to go from making maybe 200K for the year to at least double that for what remains of this season. Anyone saying 'why would he want to go to Minnesota' is clueless.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,449

Post#233 » by Morris_Shatford » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:02 pm

D1SGRUNTL3D wrote:
mtcan wrote:
D1SGRUNTL3D wrote:Your mom

Timberwolves are a dumpster fire. Cosigned.

Perennial losers.

Yea but we won finch’s heart

Okay, that was pretty good. :lol:
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
Bankai
RealGM
And1: 26,485

Post#234 » by Bankai » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:51 pm

After the Raptors win the Title, Nurse lost from his Staff to other NBA Teams.... Phil Handy, Nate Bjorkgren, Chris Finch and I think someone else.
Lord Eder
General Manager
And1: 16,625

Post#235 » by Lord Eder » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:22 pm

Bankai wrote:After the Raptors win the Title, Nurse lost from his Staff to other NBA Teams.... Phil Handy, Nate Bjorkgren, Chris Finch and I think someone else.

Put some respect on Jerome Appleberry
"Jerome Moiso with 2 rebounds and a steal.... Put him in the hall of fame!"
- Chuck Swirsky
ruckus
RealGM
And1: 11,279

Post#236 » by ruckus » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:15 pm

Well this story has legs in the States.

Sucks that Finch's first head coaching gigs comes fraught with so much drama through no fault of his own.

Serves Minny right. They could have easily made Vanterpool the interim head coach and do another search during the offseason if he didn't work out. Now, it kinda taints all the players involved in a negative light.
Lord_Zedd
RealGM
And1: 19,786

Post#237 » by Lord_Zedd » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:08 pm

Read on Twitter
lolwut
General Manager
And1: 12,918

Post#238 » by lolwut » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:22 pm

Maybe Finch will fail his physical and will have to return to the Raptors...?
2023-2024 FatherTracker™ - baby raptors looking to be adopted by a warm, loving family man
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#239 » by polo007 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:18 am

Wolves' Gersson Rosas walks down gauntlet to hire Chris Finch as coach – The Athletic

Finch is the coach whom Rosas believes can turn things around for the team with the worst record in the league, and no amount of criticism for a lack of a formal search process that included any candidates of color or for the timing of hiring Finch right on top of firing Saunders was going to dissuade Rosas from making the decision he deemed to be necessary and right.

“At the end of the day, where we’re at, we have to be realistic with ourselves,” Rosas said. “We got the worst record in the NBA. We’re struggling on both sides of the ball, and we really lacked the confidence as a result of that, and we can get the real change we needed by making the decision we made here. We needed to be bold and direct with this opportunity.”

The hiring of Finch is further testament to Rosas’ unshakeable belief in his vision. In times like these, when an executive has had a difficult time getting traction with his plan and finds his team flailing near the bottom of the standings, there can often be an overcorrection. If a novice head coach is fired (see: Kurt Rambis), the replacement is often a proven veteran (Rick Adelman). If the fired coach was a taskmaster (Tom Thibodeau), a players’ coach (Saunders). If an offensive coach didn’t work out (Flip Saunders), maybe try a defensive-minded one (Dwane Casey).

But in tabbing Finch, Rosas is doubling down on his philosophy. Rosas and Finch have known each other more than a decade and teamed up to win a developmental league title for the Rio Grande Valley Vipers in the Houston Rockets organization in 2010. The two helped push the envelope from a scoring and analytics standpoint in the minor leagues and ultimately were a part of the Rockets team led by Daryl Morey, Mike D’Antoni and James Harden that changed the face of offense in the NBA.

“Everything happens for a reason. This is a place I really want to be. This is a place I wanted to be in 2019,” Finch said. “Not every situation is for every candidate. And that’s just part of the process.”

The process is what is drawing so much scrutiny right now. Rosas said the timing and the circumstances, including the strict restrictions placed on teams during the season to try to limit the spread of COVID-19, made it difficult for him to conduct any kind of an open search for the job. The Wolves were at the whim of teams to grant permission for coaches on their staffs under contract to interview, which Rosas said limited the field. So rather than reopen things with a fresh search to find Saunders’ successor, Rosas went back to the due diligence done for his initial coaching search in 2019. He interviewed Finch, Saunders, David Vanterpool, Juwan Howard and Darvin Ham, among others, before ultimately deciding to retain Saunders, whose relationships with Taylor and team focal points Karl-Anthony Towns and Andrew Wiggins figured to help Rosas transition into the job.

At the time, Rosas was interested in adding Finch as an associate head coach, but the New Orleans Pelicans blocked that move, sources told The Athletic. So Rosas and Saunders made Vanterpool the top lieutenant and put him in charge of coordinating the defense. That Vanterpool was not elevated to interim coach when Saunders was fired after spending the last 18 months on staff was worrisome to some in the league. That there was no consideration of any candidates of color at all in a unilateral hiring process was of even larger concern.

“Anybody that knows me knows how important diversity is to me, and it’s a big part of who I am and what I’m about,” Rosas said. “Our staff and the diversity we have speaks for itself.”

Return to Toronto Raptors