Cavs 2020-21 season

Moderator: ijspeelman

jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 31,982

Re: Cavs 2020-21 season 

Post#221 » by jbk1234 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:29 pm

Stillwater wrote:So much for love playing at all this season then and given that maybe they can get a damn disabled player provision and cut him
A DPE only works for one season but the idea of a medical retirement has crossed my mind.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#222 » by Stillwater » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:59 pm

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/draft_simulator/view/827766/to early for a draft thread probably but here is my super early mock if Cavs get some luck. I like what I am seeing from a playmaking standpoint from Kuminga and he is a superstar level athlete
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,125

Post#223 » by KuruptedCav » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:53 am

Stillwater wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/draft_simulator/view/827766/to early for a draft thread probably but here is my super early mock if Cavs get some luck. I like what I am seeing from a playmaking standpoint from Kuminga and he is a superstar level athlete

I like Cade Cunningham. While Kuminga has that flash, I think this kid has the it factor; and settles into a point forward role.

Plus there is a bonus in JBK’s head exploding when the Cavs draft a 3rd PG in 4 years.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#224 » by jbk1234 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:21 am

KuruptedCav wrote:
Stillwater wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/draft_simulator/view/827766/to early for a draft thread probably but here is my super early mock if Cavs get some luck. I like what I am seeing from a playmaking standpoint from Kuminga and he is a superstar level athlete

I like Cade Cunningham. While Kuminga has that flash, I think this kid has the it factor; and settles into a point forward role.

Plus there is a bonus in JBK’s head exploding when the Cavs draft a 3rd PG in 4 years.

As long as whoever they draft is 6'5" or taller, I'm fine with it. I just hope they're smart enough to line up trades on draft day so we're not trying to start four guards and Allen next season.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#225 » by Stillwater » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:31 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
KuruptedCav wrote:

As long as whoever they draft is 6'5" or taller, I'm fine with it. I just hope they're smart enough to line up trades on draft day so we're not trying to start four guards and Allen next season.

The main issue I have with Cade is the obvious need to then move DG. Cade is a very interesting prospect from a skill transfer standpoint but I am a little skeptical about it all transferring or him playing a point forward role... I mean he has great court vision and yet averages more turnovers than dimes usually over the course of his stat tree , maybe just from lack of team play around him as the main reason but it is a concern that given that he could have gone to any college he wanted where other top 25 recruits were at and maybe he could amplify his passing as legit, but instead chose a school where his teammates struggles would easily be excuses for his failures.
I like Kuminga to be a Kawhi level player in his prime.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#226 » by jbk1234 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:11 am

The Mavs are calling around re Zinger's trade value. Drummond and Garland would work, but then you'd have to follow that up with Cedi and Windler for Ball.

I think that could be a move that Gilbert might go into the tax for, but if Zinger gets hurt again carrying both him and Love on the books would be straight disaster pants.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#227 » by Revenged25 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:13 pm

jbk1234 wrote:The Mavs are calling around re Zinger's trade value. Drummond and Garland would work, but then you'd have to follow that up with Cedi and Windler for Ball.

I think that could be a move that Gilbert might go into the tax for, but if Zinger gets hurt again carrying both him and Love on the books would be straight disaster pants.

I think that's an overpay considering Zinger's injury concerns and his longer/larger salary than even Love. It might actually be a worse contract. I wonder if Love + Garland for Zinger would work. Dallas still gets a prospect out of it, Love has one less year than Zinger who won't decline his PO, and while Love's contract is declining Zinger's contract is increasing.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#228 » by Stillwater » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:23 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:The Mavs are calling around re Zinger's trade value. Drummond and Garland would work, but then you'd have to follow that up with Cedi and Windler for Ball.

I think that's an overpay considering Zinger's injury concerns and his longer/larger salary than even Love. It might actually be a worse contract. I wonder if Love + Garland for Zinger would work. Dallas still gets a prospect out of it, Love has one less year than Zinger who won't decline his PO, and while Love's contract is declining Zinger's contract is increasing.

Both ,but they cant risk or shouldn't think about trading for a highly injury prone unicorn while they still have love ...but then what ?move jarret allen for a top 5 pick i dont see it.
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#229 » by Revenged25 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:34 pm

Stillwater wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

Both ,but they cant risk or shouldn't think about trading for a highly injury prone unicorn while they still have love ...but then what ?move jarret allen for a top 5 pick i dont see it.

My suggestion is sending out Love + Garland for Zinger so they only have one injury prone unicorn still, though a much better one when healthy, as well as younger. Any trade that doesn't involve Love leaving shortly thereafter/during a trade for Zinger wouldn't be possible really considering Allen needs paid too. I think Allen + Zinger might be a good front court.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,351

Post#230 » by JonFromVA » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:52 pm

Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
KuruptedCav wrote:I like Cade Cunningham. While Kuminga has that flash, I think this kid has the it factor; and settles into a point forward role.

The main issue I have with Cade is the obvious need to then move DG. Cade is a very interesting prospect from a skill transfer standpoint but I am a little skeptical about it all transferring or him playing a point forward role... I mean he has great court vision and yet averages more turnovers than dimes usually over the course of his stat tree , maybe just from lack of team play around him as the main reason but it is a concern that given that he could have gone to any college he wanted where other top 25 recruits were at and maybe he could amplify his passing as legit, but instead chose a school where his teammates struggles would easily be excuses for his failures.

I'm surprised that'd be a problem for you, but I'm not sure why you believe Garland would need to be moved?

For instance, especially in LeBron's early days learning to play point-forward it was very helpful to have a PG on the team especially one that can play off the ball and shoot.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#231 » by Stillwater » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:58 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:As long as whoever they draft is 6'5" or taller, I'm fine with it. I just hope they're smart enough to line up trades on draft day so we're not trying to start four guards and Allen next season.

I'm surprised that'd be a problem for you, but I'm not sure why you believe Garland would need to be moved?

For instance, especially in LeBron's early days learning to play point-forward it was very helpful to have a PG on the team especially one that can play off the ball and shoot.

I guess it's more that I actually see Cade is best served as THE ONLY floor general on whatever team he is on from whatever position he is labelled defensively which could be sf given he lacks the lateral athleticism to defend Sexton type guards but Cade also possesses a high level of scoring ability and would also likely be the first option even as a rookie on the current roster so its not impossible they could target him with the current core staying in place but its more likely one of the guards probably the one that cant play off ball that well gets moved. I would draft Kuminga on a long term plan but could see either Cade or even Mobley being in play for sure if the Cavs are that high
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#232 » by JonFromVA » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:22 pm

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:The main issue I have with Cade is the obvious need to then move DG. Cade is a very interesting prospect from a skill transfer standpoint but I am a little skeptical about it all transferring or him playing a point forward role... I mean he has great court vision and yet averages more turnovers than dimes usually over the course of his stat tree , maybe just from lack of team play around him as the main reason but it is a concern that given that he could have gone to any college he wanted where other top 25 recruits were at and maybe he could amplify his passing as legit, but instead chose a school where his teammates struggles would easily be excuses for his failures.

I guess it's more that I actually see Cade is best served as THE ONLY floor general on whatever team he is on from whatever position he is labelled defensively which could be sf given he lacks the lateral athleticism to defend Sexton type guards but Cade also possesses a high level of scoring ability and would also likely be the first option even as a rookie on the current roster so its not impossible they could target him with the current core staying in place but its more likely one of the guards probably the one that cant play off ball that well gets moved. I would draft Kuminga on a long term plan but could see either Cade or even Mobley being in play for sure if the Cavs are that high

If there's a problem, it'd be trying to deal with 3 players who want the ball in their hands; but for instance the Mo/Delonte back-court worked well with LeBron because they carried some of the playmaking load, could get LeBron easy scores, and could play off of James.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#233 » by Stillwater » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:59 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

If there's a problem, it'd be trying to deal with 3 players who want the ball in their hands; but for instance the Mo/Delonte back-court worked well with LeBron because they carried some of the playmaking load, could get LeBron easy scores, and could play off of James.

Cade Cunningham is not an elite finisher , athlete or ball handler even though he is above avg as a playmaker , There is no chance he impacts the game like Lebron EVER. But he can out smart most opponents and would be a nice addition at the point.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#234 » by JonFromVA » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:02 pm

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:I guess it's more that I actually see Cade is best served as THE ONLY floor general on whatever team he is on from whatever position he is labelled defensively which could be sf given he lacks the lateral athleticism to defend Sexton type guards but Cade also possesses a high level of scoring ability and would also likely be the first option even as a rookie on the current roster so its not impossible they could target him with the current core staying in place but its more likely one of the guards probably the one that cant play off ball that well gets moved. I would draft Kuminga on a long term plan but could see either Cade or even Mobley being in play for sure if the Cavs are that high

Cade Cunningham is not an elite finisher , athlete or ball handler even though he is above avg as a playmaker , There is no chance he impacts the game like Lebron EVER. But he can out smart most opponents and would be a nice addition at the point.

Maybe I should actually watch Cade play ... but it just seems premature to slot a 6'8" college player with all around skills averaging 3.6 apg with 4.2 turnovers as our primary point guard unless the goal is to try to force feed another player in to becoming what we want rather than what they're ready to be.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#235 » by Stillwater » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:42 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Maybe I should actually watch Cade play ... but it just seems premature to slot a 6'8" college player with all around skills averaging 3.6 apg with 4.2 turnovers as our primary point guard unless the goal is to try to force feed another player in to becoming what we want rather than what they're ready to be.

for starters if he is actually 6'8 then he grew 3 inches since last year which is possible but probably not. I think he might be close to that in shoes.But he aint 6'8 on the scale
regardless the sell on him to me is his impressive basketball iq for his age to the point that hs and college defenses dont even phase him to the point of orchestrating the offense BUT that is with him being a first option scorer on every team he has been on too.
If he is a sf in the NBA great, I think he might be a little more athletic than given credit, so it could work.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#236 » by JonFromVA » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:06 am

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Cade Cunningham is not an elite finisher , athlete or ball handler even though he is above avg as a playmaker , There is no chance he impacts the game like Lebron EVER. But he can out smart most opponents and would be a nice addition at the point.

for starters if he is actually 6'8 then he grew 3 inches since last year which is possible but probably not. I think he might be close to that in shoes.But he aint 6'8 on the scale
regardless the sell on him to me is his impressive basketball iq for his age to the point that hs and college defenses dont even phase him to the point of orchestrating the offense BUT that is with him being a first option scorer on every team he has been on too.
If he is a sf in the NBA great, I think he might be a little more athletic than given credit, so it could work.

Maybe he's 6'8" like Okoro was supposed to be 6'7" ?

Dunno, that's what everyone lists him at.

Anyway, I'll start paying attention more if we actually have a shot at drafting him.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#237 » by jbk1234 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:26 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#238 » by Revenged25 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:08 pm

Big guard with good wingspan. Maybe if he can perform well defensively he'll find himself as the 4th guard on the roster long term.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#239 » by jbk1234 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:14 pm

I get the injury situation, but I'd keep looking. If Collins didn't get concussed, that was going to be a really ugly game.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#240 » by Revenged25 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:20 pm

jbk1234 wrote:I get the injury situation, but I'd keep looking. If Collins didn't get concussed, that was going to be a really ugly game.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Keep looking where? Unless there is a trade for a real starting PF there isn't anything really possible.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers