Garrett Temple to Utah

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,268

Garrett Temple to Utah 

Post#1 » by babyjax13 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:34 am

Utah trades: cash (say, $2 million, enough to cover a minimum contract for a guy to replace Temple), 2021 Golden State 2nd, 2025 UTA 2nd
Chicago trades: Garrett Temple

I have coveted Temple since he was in Washington, I've always loved his game, and he's really had a great season in Chicago. Utah could use one more wing defender, especially a reliable vet like Temple. They go into the luxury tax, but improve their depth pretty significantly, imo.

Chicago can probably get a better second round pick than Golden State's (looks like it will be 45-50 range), but the likely can't get someone to just absorb Temple's contract, so hopefully that could make things a bit less complicated when it comes to making a trade.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,774

Re: Garrett Temple to Utah 

Post#2 » by WindyCityBorn » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:39 am

No deal. We are trying to make the playoffs. We aren’t trading our vets for second round picks(basically end of draft pick coming from Utah) and/or cash. No way.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,268

Post#3 » by babyjax13 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:59 am

WindyCityBorn wrote:No deal. We are trying to make the playoffs. We aren’t trading our vets for second round picks(basically end of draft pick coming from Utah) and/or cash. No way.

Well, it's not Utah's pick (the 2021 pick), but that's understandable.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Kazuya10
Bench Warmer
And1: 87

Post#4 » by Kazuya10 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:45 am

Pipe dream i know, but as an Aussie, id love to get Ingles from you guys. Id even give up Lauri for him

Sent from my SM-G986B using RealGM mobile app
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,913

Post#5 » by ChettheJet » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:48 pm

Temple is a part of a bench that's really keeping the Bulls in games. They start Williams at the SF and he's still learning the league and he's at about 28MPG so they don't wear him out too fast. Temple, like Young , Valentine and Satoransky are really important off the court keeping the younger guys from getting too high or too low, the mentors like Conley and a half dozen others that people kept wanting the Bulls to get that would have cost them plenty. They aren't just going to pluck somebody off the scrap heap to do those things just because the money fits
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#6 » by TheFinishSniper » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:51 pm

Temple of Doom is not available for trade talks. 2nd round picks is something Bulls arent interested most likely to trade their vets in given situation they are.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,669

Post#7 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:38 pm

Since this would be a deadline day specific deal, it seems pretty straightforward. If the Bulls have a reasonable path to the playoffs they pass. If they are at best fighting for the have to win 2 to get in spots then you cash out and take the deal.

Like this target a lot more than the earlier Valentine because it costs less in tax for Utah and I think Temple helps more on top of it.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,838

Post#8 » by TheSuzerain » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:45 pm

I'd do this deal.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM

Post#9 » by WindyCityBorn » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:51 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:I'd do this deal.

Of course you would. You don’t care about the current at all. You just want to draft raffle ticket. You probably don’t even want us to make playoffs so we can pick 7th again.
Kurt Heimlich
Head Coach
And1: 5,303

Post#10 » by Kurt Heimlich » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:05 pm

It would take the bulls falling out of playoff contention for this to be considerable. As is the bulls dont do this.
TheSuzerain
RealGM

Post#11 » by TheSuzerain » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:20 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:

Of course you would. You don’t care about the current at all. You just want to draft raffle ticket. You probably don’t even want us to make playoffs so we can pick 7th again.

I don't think Garrett Temple is swinging the Bulls playoff chances. I'd gladly take two 2nd rounders for a low talent 1-year veteran signing.
gobullschi
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#12 » by gobullschi » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:24 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:

I don't think Garrett Temple is swinging the Bulls playoff chances. I'd gladly take two 2nd rounders for a low talent 1-year veteran signing.

I view Garrett Temple as a coach on the floor who is providing invaluable lessons to the Bulls young players. Guys like Coby White & Patrick Williams have made multiple references to Temple pulling them aside and giving them guidance and working out with them after games/practice.

Mid-low 2nd Round Picks rarely produce a player as talented as Temple, so for that reason the Bulls pass. If the 2nd Round Pick was in the 31-40 range it would be a different story.
TheSuzerain
RealGM

Post#13 » by TheSuzerain » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:58 pm

gobullschi wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:

I view Garrett Temple as a coach on the floor who is providing invaluable lessons to the Bulls young players. Guys like Coby White & Patrick Williams have made multiple references to Temple pulling them aside and giving them guidance and working out with them after games/practice.

Mid-low 2nd Round Picks rarely produce a player as talented as Temple, so for that reason the Bulls pass. If the 2nd Round Pick was in the 31-40 range it would be a different story.

The appeal/value of the 2nd round picks isn't that they may produce a player as talented as Temple.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM

Post#14 » by WindyCityBorn » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:26 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
gobullschi wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:I don't think Garrett Temple is swinging the Bulls playoff chances. I'd gladly take two 2nd rounders for a low talent 1-year veteran signing.

The appeal/value of the 2nd round picks isn't that they may produce a player as talented as Temple.

What is the appeal? There are not worth much as trade assets either.
TheSuzerain
RealGM

Post#15 » by TheSuzerain » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:41 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:
gobullschi wrote:

1. The very slim chance you land a stud with the 2nd round pick
2. Allows teams to keep a young player cost controlled for at least 3 years and then they hit RFA. They are designed for NBA teams to have cheap labor.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM

Post#16 » by WindyCityBorn » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:47 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:The appeal/value of the 2nd round picks isn't that they may produce a player as talented as Temple.

2. Allows teams to keep a young player cost controlled for at least 3 years and then they hit RFA. They are designed for NBA teams to have cheap labor.

So basically worthless the vast majority of the time. I would give a positively contributing player for that so we have to see Denzel Valentine on the court more!
TheSuzerain
RealGM

Post#17 » by TheSuzerain » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:50 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:

So basically worthless the vast majority of the time. I would give a positively contributing player for that so we have to see Denzel Valentine on the court more!

Because of #2, they never really become bad contracts.

And that frees up FA money to sign replacement level players like Garrett Temple each and every offseason should you wish.
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,669

Post#18 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:56 pm

Interesting that Garrett Temple of all people is inspiring it, but I do like the philosophical debate you guys are having. Both sides absolutely have merit.

I tend to be in the cash out and sign the next cheap vet mentor the next year and repeat unless you really need said player for a playoff run or if his leadership has proven to be really vital. I have no way of knowing about Temple in Chicago specifically, though I know he's been a widely respected player basically at every spot.

But appreciate the debate.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM

Post#19 » by WindyCityBorn » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:02 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:1. The very slim chance you land a stud with the 2nd round pick

Because of #2, they never really become bad contracts.

And that frees up FA money to sign replacement level players like Garrett Temple each and every offseason should you wish.

What about the second half of this season? Irrelevant? If this was an off-season deal maybe, but we are fighting for an playoff spot now.

Return to Trades and Transactions