ImageImageImage

Activity in trade talks until the trade deadline

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

How aggresive should Dallas be on the trade market until the trade deadline (March 25th)?

1 - Completely passive (i.e., no discussions, nobody is made available in trade talks)
No votes
15%
15%
19%
5 - Completely aggressive (i.e., everyone except for Luka is made available in trade talks)
50%

Total votes: 26

DBoys
Starter
And1: 221

Re: Activity in trade talks until the trade deadline 

Post#61 » by DBoys » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:11 am

LoveMyRaps wrote:Lowry would look good in a Mavs uniform.
A package of Lowry + Boucher (and possibly a draft pick) is something I can see the Mavs FO considering.

For KP? LOL no chance
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,027

Post#62 » by mg » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:53 am

KP is always injured. He doesn't create, rebound or defend. His only real skill is scoring. I don't think he has a ton of value around the league esp with his contract.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,018

Post#63 » by Mr B » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:05 am

preldzic wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shocking that they would actually do what they need to do. Lavine and Markkanen please

This is such a difficult decision to make...

Unicorns like Porzingis don't come around that often. On the other hand, if a 6-9 PF/C can shoot and defend as well as a 7-3 PF/C, and that 6-9 PF/C comes with healthier knees, ankles and back, as well as a more reasonable contract... I mean, of course it's more fun to watch a 7-3 player do the same things, but this is not a circus and contribution to winning is what really matters.

I appreciate the fact that the Mavs are sniffing around, but my guess is that Porzingis doesn't have enough value right now and the Mavs aren't gonna sell low. We'll see.

I agree with this. Cuban also did refer to him letting Nash walk and how it ended up being a mistake, he brought that up asked about trading KP.

daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,035

Post#64 » by daoneandonly » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:01 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Shocking that they would actually do what they need to do. Lavine and Markkanen please

You think KP's defense is bad, those two are arguably the top 5 worst defenders in the league
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,827

Post#65 » by dirkforpres » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:19 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

You think KP's defense is bad, those two are arguably the top 5 worst defenders in the league

Don’t care. Markkanen is the most underrated player in the league in my opinion, and Lavine is the perfect running mate next to Luka.

Porzingis, Johnson, Green, and picks for OPJ, Lavine, and Markkanen works. That deal would be perfect
FIRE JASON KIDD
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#66 » by daoneandonly » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:26 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:

Don’t care. Markkanen is the most underrated player in the league in my opinion, and Lavine is the perfect running mate next to Luka.

Porzingis, Johnson, Green, and picks for OPJ, Lavine, and Markkanen works. That deal would be perfect

I dont see how an empty stats, no D player like Lavine is the perfect running mate. he's essentially a young Kevin Martin. I respectfully disagree on Lauri too, he's good for some good offensive games here and there, but his D negates it. If we make a trade with Chi, it should be for Carter.

My ideal targets would be Siakam or Capela, but those arent happening.
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#67 » by ejs78 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:51 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Brad is pretty reliable.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#68 » by JD45 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:56 pm

ejs78 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Brad is pretty reliable.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

I was suspicious of the Bleacher report. It's always possible there could be some bad things going on behind the scenes to make a KP trade necessary, but it seemed very unlikely.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#69 » by arkuo » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:59 pm

I've read an article about the Mavs checkin in on the Warriors.

For Wiggins + Wiseman maybe.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,008

Post#70 » by HMFFL » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:07 pm

Mavericks reached out to Warriors, gauging interest in Kristaps Porzingis trade

The Dallas Mavericks have reached out to the Golden State Warriors to gauge interest in a Kristaps Porzingis trade, sources tell SNY's Ian Begley.

Porzingis, 25, has had an up-and-down tenure in Dallas, showing flashes of offensive brilliance but dealing with injury issues and questions about his defense.
He is in the second season of a five-year deal worth $158.2 million.

https://www.sny.tv/articles/gauging-trade-value-of-former-knick-kristaps-porzingis-mavericks-have-reached-out-to-warriors

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#71 » by HMFFL » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:09 pm

Dallas may also be asking this question. According to Bleacher Report’s Jake Fischer, the team has quietly gauged Porzingis’ trade value and no longer views him as untouchable, even if they’re not actively trying to trade him. (Mavericks owner Mark Cuban disputed the report, telling The Athletic via email, “Not true. We have not discussed him with anyone.”)

The organization still believes in what Porzingis could be, and I still think they’re right to do so. Even now, the potential for what Porzingis could be almost certainly outweighs the actual value he might have right now as a trade candidate. But the report feels particularly credible because the past few weeks have also been my first time questioning Porzingis’ future in Dallas.

– via Tim Cato @ The Athletic

Mr B
RealGM

Post#72 » by Mr B » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:52 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

I dont see how an empty stats, no D player like Lavine is the perfect running mate. he's essentially a young Kevin Martin. I respectfully disagree on Lauri too, he's good for some good offensive games here and there, but his D negates it. If we make a trade with Chi, it should be for Carter.

That’s part of the whole process of bringing in someone new to this team, who’s available. I’d love to add Siakam and/or Capela too but like you said, they’re not available. There are a lot of guys I’d like to add that aren’t available.

So the Mavs have to go with who is available and unfortunately not everyone that’s available will be a great fit. I don’t know if Levine is actually available or not but parts of his game actually do mesh very well with Luka’s game.

So the Mavs can’t just say, he’s not a perfect fit so we don’t want him. We know KP isn’t working right now. So even if it means acquiring a guy that may not be a perfect fit, at least he will be a better fit than KP. At the end of the day the Mavs may not be in any better position than they are now but at least they’re trying.

JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#73 » by JD45 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:59 pm

arkuo wrote:I've read an article about the Mavs checkin in on the Warriors.

For Wiggins + Wiseman maybe.

It is suspicious that reports of the Mavs talking to Golden State came out of NY. But still, a trade like that would make sense. And since it would end any playoff ambitions for the Mavs this year, they might even expand it to include THJ, JRich or Maxi.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
Mr B
RealGM

Post#74 » by Mr B » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:15 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

dirkforpres
RealGM

Post#75 » by dirkforpres » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:32 pm

Mr B wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

I would build a Donnie statue if he got Wiseman AND the Minny pick
FIRE JASON KIDD
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#76 » by HMFFL » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:33 pm

Mr B wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

I have no reason to believe Golden States would give up that much value for KP.

Wiggins I could deal with in these circumstance's even if he's owed the following.

2020-21: $29,290,000
2021-22: $31,310,000
2022-23: $33,616,770

Mr B
RealGM

Post#77 » by Mr B » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:39 pm

HMFFL wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

I have no reason to believe Golden States would give up that much value for KP.

Wiggins I could deal with in these circumstance's even if he's owed the following.

2020-21: $29,290,000
2021-22: $31,310,000
2022-23: $33,616,770

This deal would really help the Warriors out with their cap situation. If anything it would help them to be able to make other moves. I also think Josh Green would thrive in that Golden St offense. And IF (huge if) KP can ever stay healthy that Golden St team would be really scary again.

dirkforpres
RealGM

Post#78 » by dirkforpres » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:43 pm

Hell, I’d do Oladipo and Wood for Porzingis
FIRE JASON KIDD
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#79 » by fuller4379 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:56 pm

KP was a beast in The Bubble. No reason to sell low on KP right now. Wait for him to go into beast mode again and then shop his value. GMs forget quicly.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#80 » by daoneandonly » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:59 pm

Mr B wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:

That’s part of the whole process of bringing in someone new to this team, who’s available. I’d love to add Siakam and/or Capela too but like you said, they’re not available. There are a lot of guys I’d like to add that aren’t available.

So the Mavs have to go with who is available and unfortunately not everyone that’s available will be a great fit. I don’t know if Levine is actually available or not but parts of his game actually do mesh very well with Luka’s game.

So the Mavs can’t just say, he’s not a perfect fit so we don’t want him. We know KP isn’t working right now. So even if it means acquiring a guy that may not be a perfect fit, at least he will be a better fit than KP. At the end of the day the Mavs may not be in any better position than they are now but at least they’re trying.

It goes beyond him not being a perfect fit though. he doesnt contribute to winning basketball. Thats why i view him like Kevin martin, great stats, zero relation to wins or team success

Return to Dallas Mavericks