Kristaps Porzingis Is Indeed Available

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Muha_i_samolet
Senior
And1: 591

Re: Dallas Mavericks Quietly Gauging The Market For Kristaps Porzingis 

Post#81 » by Muha_i_samolet » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:41 pm

Duffman100 wrote:Just not sure how you buy a guy who misses 20-30 games a season. Unicorn or not, he has to be on the court to deliver.

I'd love to see him healthy, I really would.

Missed 50% of his career in the NBA. We're talking worse than Yao. Somewhere between Yao and Oden.
Meat
Head Coach
And1: 4,574

Post#82 » by Meat » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:42 pm

How many unprotected 1st are you willing to give the knicks to take him back
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,815

Post#83 » by dirkforpres » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:45 pm

I think the Porzingis hate is a bit strong. Carlisle uses him completely wrong and there’s no way he should spend as much time as far away from the basket as he does, but in a good system he’s still an all star caliber player IMO
FIRE JASON KIDD
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,973

Post#84 » by Capn'O » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:47 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:We Knicks fans warned you, because we were watching the games, while other fanbases were actually buying the hype and used it to pile on the Knicks... the irony.

Big facts.

you guys give yourself too much credit, no one knew Porzingis would turn into such a stiff, he was one of the most promising defenders in the league.

He always struggled with:

- Perimeter defense
- Post up play
- Rebounding
- Injuries

I think most Knicks fans at least saw the concerns with him prior to the trade even if they roundly supported him. I had him pegged as a borderline all-star but not the superstar some saw. Ironically, before the trade I saw him as a potentially great fit alongside Julius Randle.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,775

Post#85 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:49 pm

some of you lucky the search function here doesn't work. :wink:

Otherwise we could play a fun game of This You? 8-)
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#86 » by iamworthy » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:50 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:some of you lucky the search function here doesn't work. :wink:

Otherwise we could play a fun game of This You? 8-)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
John Murdoch
General Manager
And1: 7,265

Post#87 » by John Murdoch » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:55 pm

Indiana feels like a fit
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.
Texas Chuck

Post#88 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:56 pm

John Murdoch wrote:Indiana feels like a fit

They already have two centers who are playing really well.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Pg81
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,661

Post#89 » by Pg81 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:57 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:We Knicks fans warned you, because we were watching the games, while other fanbases were actually buying the hype and used it to pile on the Knicks... the irony.

Again many realized it was a gamble. And what can happen with gambles? Sometimes you lose.
If you're asking me who the Mavs best player is, I'd say Luka. A guy like Delon Wright probably rivals his impact though at this stage in his career. KP may as well if he gets his **** together.
GeorgeMarcus, 17/11/2019
DoubleLintendre
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,621

Post#90 » by DoubleLintendre » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:07 pm

Why do I see the Warriors trading for him...
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,321

Post#91 » by Scalabrine » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:08 pm

mg wrote:
Scalabrine wrote:What about Prozingis/Powell/Burke to Cleveland for Drummond/Nance/Windler and a 22 lottery protected 1st.

Mavs get off the contracts of KP and Powell and go into the off-season with much more flexibility. 60ish million in capspace, to start rebuilding a team around Luka while he's still the most underpaid player in the league.

Drummond/WCS/Boban
Nance/Kleber/Johnson
DFS/THj/Windler
Richardson/THj/Green
Luka/Brunson/Terry

Cavs unload Drummond for something and got with Okoro/KP/Allen as one of the best defensive pairings in the league to support their smaller Sexland backcourt.

Allen/KP/McGee
KP/Love/Wade
Okoro/Osman
Sexton/Dotson
Garland/Sexton/Burke

No thanks I'm sure the Cavs would prefer to keep Nance and the FRP. Actually Nance at his salary is probably the better bargain over KP and his salary.
If they deal Drummond I highly doubt they can take back a KP type contract plus Powell to boot. The Cavs need to pay Allen this summer and already have Love's contract on the books. Teams can't be spending $90 mil on their frontcourt when the league is now wing/guard centric.

I mean they can when their wing/guard centric players are all on rookie deals. By the time Sexton/Garland are up for extensions, Love will be gone. This deal wouldn't put them in the luxury tax, even after Allens extension. I didn't realize that Nance carried so much value around the league though, so maybe swap him for Prince.
Go Knicks!
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#92 » by clyde21 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:09 pm

DoubleLintendre wrote:Why do I see the Warriors trading for him...

because Myers is a clown who traded a 2026 1st just to get rid of Iguodala to make room for D-Lo and then potentially another first for a one-year 80-million dollar rental of Kelly **** Oubre.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,815

Post#93 » by dirkforpres » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:09 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
John Murdoch wrote:Indiana feels like a fit

They already have two centers who are playing really well.

Seems like Myles is always being tossed in trade rumors though. Turner and McDermott for KP works in the trade machine and it solves both of Dallas’ biggest weaknesses - 3 point shooting and rebounding
FIRE JASON KIDD
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,604

Post#94 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:16 pm

I cant blame the Mavs for getting him. It was a high risk high reward kind of deal. Just didnt pan out it looks like.

Its crazy just how bad defensively he has become. Im curious if its all physical or if he just cant seem to get any kind of rhythm because he cant stay healthy and play a good chunk of games without missing time.

I do have a feeling that when he is 27-28 years old, he will finally stay healthy and really buy into a team first defensive first kind of role and teams will want him (clearly not on this size of a contract). Kind of like a Brook Lopez.
Billy Goat
Analyst
And1: 1,616

Post#95 » by Billy Goat » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:23 pm

I don’t recall Knicks fans being overwhelmingly happy with the trade. A lot saw KP has a star who struggled to stay healthy. He was never really good.
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,228

Post#96 » by PistolPeteJR » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:29 pm

gottamakeit wrote:
mg wrote:
Scalabrine wrote: Teams can't be spending $90 mil on their frontcourt when the league is now wing/guard centric.

On that note, do you think this makes sense for both teams?

NO TO THE WAY TO THE NOOOOOOO WAY.
Texas Chuck

Post#97 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:29 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
I do have a feeling that when he is 27-28 years old, he will finally stay healthy and really buy into a team first defensive first kind of role and teams will want him (clearly not on this size of a contract). Kind of like a Brook Lopez.

Not a match in terms of game, but I think Big Z is the hope. His feet issues seemed like they'd never get right but then he turned a corner at 27 and was really durable. And he was another 7'3" guy.

But my fear is this is more Ralph Sampson/Yao where he just is done by the time he's 30.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,878

Post#98 » by Celts17Pride » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:34 pm

jpengland wrote:Be foolish not to gauge the market.

GMs gauge the market on everyone. It's their job. I'm sure the Mavs have gauged the market on Luka. Not that the Mavs would ever consider trading Luka ever but they like to know how other teams value players. It's what they do.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,604

Post#99 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:40 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

Not a match in terms of game, but I think Big Z is the hope. His feet issues seemed like they'd never get right but then he turned a corner at 27 and was really durable. And he was another 7'3" guy.

But my fear is this is more Ralph Sampson/Yao where he just is done by the time he's 30.

Ya Im not saying their game is the same. Im saying how Lopez kind of went from being viewed as this high usage big that no one really wanted. Then late 20s he kind of just became this low usage team first guy that really improved his defense. I wouldnt be shocked if KP can become that. Just a team first guy that any team would love to plug in and get 25-28 minutes from.

But ya he could also go down the Ralph Samspon route and be gone by 30.
OrangeBlueSkies
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,098

Post#100 » by OrangeBlueSkies » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:41 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
jpengland wrote:Be foolish not to gauge the market.

GMs gauge the market on everyone. It's their job. I'm sure the Mavs have gauged the market on Luka. Not that the Mavs would ever consider trading Luka ever but they like to know how other teams value players. It's what they do.

Na. They never gauged the market on Luka. The last thing Dallas would ever want is for some reason or another a story be leaked about how Dallas gauged interest on Luka.

That would be the beginning of the end for Luka in Dallas.

Return to The General Board