Kristaps Porzingis Is Indeed Available

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,540

Re: Dallas Mavericks Quietly Gauging The Market For Kristaps Porzingis 

Post#101 » by Celts17Pride » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:43 pm

OrangeBlueSkies wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:
jpengland wrote:Be foolish not to gauge the market.

GMs gauge the market on everyone. It's their job. I'm sure the Mavs have gauged the market on Luka. Not that the Mavs would ever consider trading Luka ever but they like to know how other teams value players. It's what they do.

Na. They never gauged the market on Luka. The last thing Dallas would ever want is for some reason or another a story be leaked about how Dallas gauged interest on Luka.

That would be the beginning of the end for Luka in Dallas.

Respectfully disagree. It's their job to know the market.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,327

Post#102 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:46 pm

OrangeBlueSkies wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:
jpengland wrote:Be foolish not to gauge the market.

GMs gauge the market on everyone. It's their job. I'm sure the Mavs have gauged the market on Luka. Not that the Mavs would ever consider trading Luka ever but they like to know how other teams value players. It's what they do.

Na. They never gauged the market on Luka. The last thing Dallas would ever want is for some reason or another a story be leaked about how Dallas gauged interest on Luka.

And you wouldn't have to gauge it. If Luka was available, teams would back up the truck. Zero chance Dallas has made a single outgoing call on Luka, and any inbound calls were quickly shut down.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 36,291

Post#103 » by Tor_Raps » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:47 pm

We'll give you Lowry for him.
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,233

Post#104 » by Zenzibar » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:47 pm

urgal wrote:
DaGawd wrote:Image

Janis bout to request a trade

What's Dennis Smith up to these days?

Not sure but I know what Walt Perrin and his scouting staff is doing. Prepping for the loaded 2021 NBA draft:

11 Pelicans Jalen Johnson PF – Duke – HT: 6-8 – WT: 215 – WING: 6-10 1/2 – Fr – Johnson has left the Duke program to focus on getting healthy and training for the draft. This is a big disappointment, especially after he missed his senior year of high school. He’s a special talent but there are some orange flags starting to come up. Tobias Harris

#12 Knicks (from Mavs) James Bouknight SG – UConn – HT: 6-4 – WT: 175 – WING: NA – So – A long, wiry athlete with big time leaping ability and a good shooting touch. Has a sweet pull-up game. He’s back in action after missing a few weeks with an elbow injury. Derek Anderson

13 Kings Corey Kispert SF – Gonzaga – HT: 6-7 – WT: 220 – WING: NA – Sr – Lives behind the 3pt line and has a great shooting stroke and is rounding out the rest of his game. Martell Webster, Joe Harris
OrangeBlueSkies
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,097

Post#105 » by OrangeBlueSkies » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:47 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
OrangeBlueSkies wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:GMs gauge the market on everyone. It's their job. I'm sure the Mavs have gauged the market on Luka. Not that the Mavs would ever consider trading Luka ever but they like to know how other teams value players. It's what they do.

Respectfully disagree. It's their job to know the market.

Yeah. There’s no one on the market the equates to Luka, so there’s no market to know.

You gauge interest on your unknowns ... not on your 21/22 year old all star phenom who was a top 5 MVP candidate last season.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,125

Post#106 » by clyde21 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:48 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:We'll give you Lowry for him.

that's actually a solid deal im pickin up what you're puttin down
Apse4
Sophomore
And1: 122

Post#107 » by Apse4 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:49 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
OrangeBlueSkies wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:GMs gauge the market on everyone. It's their job. I'm sure the Mavs have gauged the market on Luka. Not that the Mavs would ever consider trading Luka ever but they like to know how other teams value players. It's what they do.

And you wouldn't have to gauge it. If Luka was available, teams would back up the truck. Zero chance Dallas has made a single outgoing call on Luka, and any inbound calls were quickly shut down.

Every time when Luka come back from off season they are making calls. To fitness gym.
Texas Chuck

Post#108 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:52 pm

Apse4 wrote:Every time when Luka come back from off season they are making calls. To fitness gym.

haha cuz he's fat, get it? get it? :roll:
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
boogiezen
Senior
And1: 397

Post#109 » by boogiezen » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:53 pm

Sucks for Dallas. KP when healthy is one of the most talented players out there.
Maybe it's better not to be the best. Then you can lose and it's OK. - Searching for Bobby Fischer (1993)
urgal
Rookie
And1: 1,876

Post#110 » by urgal » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:53 pm

Zenzibar wrote:Not sure but I know what Walt Perrin and his scouting staff is doing. Prepping for the loaded 2021 NBA draft:

11 Pelicans Jalen Johnson PF – Duke – HT: 6-8 – WT: 215 – WING: 6-10 1/2 – Fr – Johnson has left the Duke program to focus on getting healthy and training for the draft. This is a big disappointment, especially after he missed his senior year of high school. He’s a special talent but there are some orange flags starting to come up. Tobias Harris

#12 Knicks (from Mavs) James Bouknight SG – UConn – HT: 6-4 – WT: 175 – WING: NA – So – A long, wiry athlete with big time leaping ability and a good shooting touch. Has a sweet pull-up game. He’s back in action after missing a few weeks with an elbow injury. Derek Anderson

13 Kings Corey Kispert SF – Gonzaga – HT: 6-7 – WT: 220 – WING: NA – Sr – Lives behind the 3pt line and has a great shooting stroke and is rounding out the rest of his game. Martell Webster, Joe Harris

You didn't nail one single one of your last 25 lottery picks (which is why you're still reliant on them). What makes you optimistic about this one?

But I'm rooting for you. I hope another Kevin Knox is in store for you.
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,333

Post#111 » by Phish Tank » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:55 pm

Even the biggest Kristaps hater like myself is shocked that his mobility has taken a HUGE decline after the meniscus injury. Makes you wonder how severe that tear was. Ironically, he's somehow figured to shoot a lot better this season as he's traded long 2s and some silly 3s for more dunks and short distance shots. This could also be an effect of playing in a bit more garbage time - so we gotta analyze the stats in close vs. blowout games.

Problem for Dallas is that they didn't spend max dollars on a spot up shooter who can play some P&R. They gave KP max money to be Luka's Robin and a defensive anchor. He was - at one point - able to switch on the perimeter, back when he was a lot more mobile. Now he's not mobile on defense and that's a huge liability. His athleticism often compensated for a lack of fundamentals on the defensive end. Now he's exposed on defense. Dallas won't be successful if they can't play defense and if KP's hurt.

KP already has accumulated near a baker's dozen of lower leg injuries. This back injury also flared up once or twice in NY. Lifespan of 7'3+ bigs isn't great in the NBA.
Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 3,852

Post#112 » by Jabroni Lames » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:56 pm

Dallas gets: Lowry + Norm Powell
Toronto gets: Zinger + (one of Dwight Powell, Richardson, Johnson or Kleber) OR (DFS+Burke)
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,233

Post#113 » by Zenzibar » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:57 pm

urgal wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:Not sure but I know what Walt Perrin and his scouting staff is doing. Prepping for the loaded 2021 NBA draft:

You didn't nail one single one of your last 25 lottery picks (which is why you're still reliant on them). What makes you optimistic about this one?

We did hit it right on Porzingis, oh, wait nevermind.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 36,291

Post#114 » by Tor_Raps » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:01 pm

Jabroni Lames wrote:

Dallas gets: Lowry + Norm Powell
Toronto gets: Zinger + (one of Dwight Powell, Richardson, Johnson or Kleber) OR (DFS+Burke)

Probably wouldn't include Norman Powell in the deal. He's been too important for us and someone I'd like to keep as part of our core.
urgal
Rookie
And1: 1,876

Post#115 » by urgal » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:04 pm

Zenzibar wrote:We did hit it right on Porzingis, oh, wait nevermind.

Thanks for agreeing with me then. Again don't really know why you're looking forward to the draft then but whatever.
NY2k1
Starter
And1: 744

Post#116 » by NY2k1 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:04 pm

DroseReturnChi wrote:
clyde21 wrote:lol no way the Warriors are giving up a top 5 pick potentially for zinger at this point never gonna happen

ok gl winning with wiggs and rookie wiseman with a expiring 3 yr window. just win 1 more and rebuild. you had your run.
I dont mind the warriors imploding with all of them injured but wasting Steph's prime yrs is just blasphemous.
Just trade the trio for better deserving teams instead of holding them hostage.

No one would trade a potential top 5 pick for KP lol.
NY2k1
Starter
And1: 744

Post#117 » by NY2k1 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:05 pm

Swish1906 wrote:And Cuban told the Athletic that the reports are bull. But keep on giving trash reporters with BS sources their necessary clicks. Since they need clicks not to get laid off

I mean, it could be bull, but Mark Cuban isn't gonna confirm this even if true.
Texas Chuck

Post#118 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:08 pm

NY2k1 wrote:
Swish1906 wrote:And Cuban told the Athletic that the reports are bull. But keep on giving trash reporters with BS sources their necessary clicks. Since they need clicks not to get laid off

Yeah it could be made up but the denial is worthless. Cuban is never going to say oh yeah we've been shopping him but nobody wants him so....
Swish1906
Head Coach
And1: 10,456

Post#119 » by Swish1906 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:14 pm

NY2k1 wrote:

Then Marc Stein would tweet about it. Or Shams or Woj. They dont. Thats all you need to know. Stein is best regarding Mavs and the other two league wide.

But no, this pretty big rumour gets out by some small bleacher report guys. Guys who are getting laid off if they dont produce enough clicks.

There are a handful great sources in the league. I really dont know why anyone would listen to other ones
OrangeBlueSkies
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,097

Post#120 » by OrangeBlueSkies » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:14 pm

urgal wrote:

Not worried about the Mavs pick. That’s just an asset. And we have seen wilder things happen, that pick can stay around 12 or even be lower in the lottery.

We may have not nailed our picks up until this past draft. There’s a new regime in town in case you had not noticed, and they aren’t here just for the paychecks.

Return to The General Board