Free Agency, Rumors, Thoughts in General 2.0

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,026

Re: Free Agency, Rumors, Thoughts in General 2.0 

Post#1121 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:51 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
gswhoops wrote:-Oubre/Wiseman (possible, but highly unlikely Zinger fetches expiring + Wiseman without substantial extra coming back to GS. Plus beyond obscene luxury tax)

Yeah that feels like too much for KP and Dallas doesn't have much to incentivize GSW. I mean they could get Brunson/DFS there which would give the Warriors a cheap quality backup PG and a cheap stopgap starting SF to move to the bench next year when Klay returns. So those are useful players, but they don't close the value gap. Green likely holds little interest since he's not ready to contribute and I don't know that a distant pick holds any appeal.

And I agree, that's probably the package Dallas had in mind, but doesn't feel realistic at all. Getting a 3rd team involved so Dallas doesn't take back Wiggins just also would remove any incentive Dallas could hope to get so what's the point?

I think there is probably still a team that would take him, but Dallas has to accept eating some bad money to get any kind of asset or basically accept just salary dumping him and hey we took a big swing that whiffed and let's cut bait in time to use pre-Luka max cap space.

What if Dallas was feeling out a Porzingis for Draymond centered deal?
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,707

Post#1122 » by gswhoops » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:58 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
gswhoops wrote:-Oubre/Wiseman (possible, but highly unlikely Zinger fetches expiring + Wiseman without substantial extra coming back to GS. Plus beyond obscene luxury tax)

Yeah that feels like too much for KP and Dallas doesn't have much to incentivize GSW. I mean they could get Brunson/DFS there which would give the Warriors a cheap quality backup PG and a cheap stopgap starting SF to move to the bench next year when Klay returns. So those are useful players, but they don't close the value gap. Green likely holds little interest since he's not ready to contribute and I don't know that a distant pick holds any appeal.

And I agree, that's probably the package Dallas had in mind, but doesn't feel realistic at all. Getting a 3rd team involved so Dallas doesn't take back Wiggins just also would remove any incentive Dallas could hope to get so what's the point?

I think there is probably still a team that would take him, but Dallas has to accept eating some bad money to get any kind of asset or basically accept just salary dumping him and hey we took a big swing that whiffed and let's cut bait in time to use pre-Luka max cap space.

Then I feel like that was a pretty short conversation lol
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1123 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:00 pm

gswhoops wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

Then I feel like that was a pretty short conversation lol

Oh, agreed. Just saying, a lot of times, these kinds of calls are really just feeling out things and judging how teams value their players overall. And, it would lend itself to the concept that Dallas isn’t looking to just dumper Porzingis per se, but might prefer to have a secondary playmaker type big man with a competitive fire like Green to pair with their young superstar. :dontknow:
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,615

Post#1124 » by kg01 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:53 pm

I'm definitely not leaving this here because I want to see Tx Chuck's head explode ...

Read on Twitter

:)
king01 :king:
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,335

Post#1125 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:59 pm

kg01 wrote:I'm definitely not leaving this here because I want to see Tx Chuck's head explode ...
)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't know if you've noticed, but I've been slowly coming around more on him lately fwiw so I'm not as disgusted by this as you might have previously thought.

Though unless KP is moved along I don't understand how that works defensively.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,615

Post#1126 » by kg01 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:05 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
kg01 wrote:I'm definitely not leaving this here because I want to see Tx Chuck's head explode ...
)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't know if you've noticed, but I've been slowly coming around more on him lately fwiw so I'm not as disgusted by this as you might have previously thought.

Though unless KP is moved along I don't understand how that works defensively.

Haha, I don't think it works defensively although Collins has made strides on that end.

His numbers are down but this has been a better year overall for him.
king01 :king:
loserX
And1: 26,046

Post#1127 » by loserX » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:53 pm

May or may not be related to Cousins' newfound availability, but the Lakers have waived Quinn Cook.

He's not that great but he can shoot a bit. Wonder if he'll find a suitor quickly.
Texas Chuck

Post#1128 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:00 pm

loserX wrote:May or may not be related to Cousins' newfound availability, but the Lakers have waived Quinn Cook.

He's not that great but he can shoot a bit. Wonder if he'll find a suitor quickly.

This was a gtd date issue to buy them a bit of room under the hard cap. They didn't want to pay him for the rest of the year. This move was foretold basically at the start of the season.

I always liked him. He had a brief swim through Dallas a few years back when they were running guys in and out before settling on Yogi. But he always seemed like the most important guy on those Duke teams. Wish he could find a team to give him 25 games to prove he could be a backup PG.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 711

Post#1129 » by Mike lorenzo » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:21 pm

gswhoops wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:so reports out that Dallas tested the market on KP. With GSW specifically mentioned. I feel less bad for the time I've spent exploring dealing him here.

I wonder who exactly they asked GSW about? Green? Wiggins with Wiseman or the Minny pick? Doubt the Warriors would be interested in any of that, but still intrigued. if nothing else, it shows they recognize he may not be a long term solution.

Oubre/Wiseman plus any min salary filler works $ wise. That’s my guess.

Wiggins / Wiseman for KP / JRich or DFS.
I think it's close.
Wiggins is probably Top3 in overpaid rates.
KP Top 3 at risk of failure.
KP + JRich advantage take you to Wiseman
1+1=11
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,805

Post#1130 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:28 pm

What about KP for Lowry and Boucher?

Masai buys low in the hope that KP can reach his potential.

Dallas gets a great veteran PG and a really nice role player who improves their defense.

Then sign John Collins in FA.

G - Kyle Lowry
G - Josh Richardson
F - Luka Doncic
F - Chris Boucher
C - John Collins
Texas Chuck

Post#1131 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:32 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:What about KP for Lowry and Boucher?

Masai buys low in the hope that KP can reach his potential.

Dallas gets a great veteran PG and a really nice role player who improves their defense.

Then sign John Collins in FA.

G - Kyle Lowry
G - Josh Richardson
F - Luka Doncic
F - Chris Boucher
C - John Collins

Dallas couldn't keep cap holds on Lowry and Richardson and still sign Collins to a big offer sheet. Would need to trade for Collins this season but considering current demands from Atlanta that's impossible.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1132 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:44 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
loserX wrote:May or may not be related to Cousins' newfound availability, but the Lakers have waived Quinn Cook.

This was a gtd date issue to buy them a bit of room under the hard cap. They didn't want to pay him for the rest of the year. This move was foretold basically at the start of the season.

I always liked him. He had a brief swim through Dallas a few years back when they were running guys in and out before settling on Yogi. But he always seemed like the most important guy on those Duke teams. Wish he could find a team to give him 25 games to prove he could be a backup PG.

Yup. LA is going to be playing the buyout market, and this clears a roster spot, and a little room under the hard cap to do so. Partial contracts guarantee leaguewide for the season if not waived by 5pm Wednesday, so it was merely time.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,101

Post#1133 » by Kilo » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:30 pm

Detroit is sitting Wayne Ellington for "rest" after an off-day yesterday. Would be the front end of a B2B but I don't think Ellington has ever been load managed in the past. Could be that he's close to being dealt?

Not going to be anything more than a second round pick.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,579

Post#1134 » by pacers33granger » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:15 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
BowlRips wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Yeah, but it’s Ian Begley reporting it, though, and he’s been putting a TON of loosely substantiated rumors out there the last year or two. He’s truly a repeater of whatever an agent will tell him. He put out a TON of stuff regarding Oladipo from Vic’s agent.

Begley is a pretty respectable reporter.

He might be locally, and on his day to day work. But he’s published a lot of out there stuff that’s been grabbed nationally that has pretty clearly come from either an agent trying to work him to their benefit or from Leon Rose. I’m willing to ignore or overlook most of what he publishes in terms of national moves, or accept it merely as an agent working back channels.
Begley was also the one writing articles in late 2020 about Vic based on information from the summer. Not a lie or anything, but the way it was written was 100% just for clicks and not to convey actual current info. He may be connected and respected in some ways, but that's hack level tactics to generate interest imo.

Sent from my SM-A716U using RealGM mobile app
loserX

Post#1135 » by loserX » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:13 am

Also waived today for the guarantee deadline: Damian Jones (by Phoenix), Sindarious Thornwell (by New Orleans), Vonleh/Shumpert/Roberson (by Brooklyn, though the latter two intend to sign 10-days with the Nets anyway).
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#1136 » by chrbal » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:17 am

loserX wrote:Also waived today for the guarantee deadline: Damian Jones (by Phoenix), Sindarious Thornwell (by New Orleans), Vonleh/Shumpert/Roberson (by Brooklyn, though the latter two intend to sign 10-days with the Nets anyway).

I feel like Quinn cook, cut by Lakers, would be a good pickup for Brooklyn.
Texas Chuck

Post#1137 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:22 am

chrbal wrote:
loserX wrote:Also waived today for the guarantee deadline: Damian Jones (by Phoenix), Sindarious Thornwell (by New Orleans), Vonleh/Shumpert/Roberson (by Brooklyn, though the latter two intend to sign 10-days with the Nets anyway).

Funny because the Nets just signed Cook. But not Quinn, Tyler. :D
loserX

Post#1138 » by loserX » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:23 am

chrbal wrote:

They actually just signed someone named *Tyler* Cook to a 10-day :)

Maybe Philly or Phoenix for Quinn?
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,546

Post#1139 » by NYG » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:34 am

Just a crazy idea... if the Mavericks and Knicks miss the playoffs and/or 2/3 of the Thunder, Rockets and Heat miss the playoffs then it's possible after the draft lottery that the Knicks or Thunder could have the top two picks in this year's draft.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#1140 » by chrbal » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:06 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
chrbal wrote:

Funny because the Nets just signed Cook. But not Quinn, Tyler. :D

Well, he is more of a football fan. I’ll tell him that he was close

Return to Trades and Transactions