Kristaps Porzingis Is Indeed Available

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,346

Re: Dallas Mavericks Quietly Gauging The Market For Kristaps Porzingis 

Post#141 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:39 pm

Capn'O wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:some of you lucky the search function here doesn't work. :wink:

Otherwise we could play a fun game of This You? 8-)

So it does work again. 8-) I'm not actually going to post any takes because that's not cool, but I will say some of the biggest **** talkers itt might have declared without caveat that KP was a lock to have a better career than Dirk.

Yikes. Ours, yours, or both?

If he can distance himself from the injury turnstile, he can likely still be a good player for y'all... but that was the biggest concern.

Knicks fans. I probably should look though at some of us Dallas guys and see who hated KP right up until he was a Mav. Probably some.

I was always a big KP guy going back to the draft when I remember screaming that Philly should draft him. So I was elated when Dallas traded for him. But I have to admit it's been a rough ride.

But man some of these old takes compared to the current ones are hilarious. :lol:
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,236

Post#142 » by Zenzibar » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:41 pm

urgal wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:This is a thread about a guy drafted with one of those lottery picks that your team eventually traded for. See the failed logic?

I see the failed logic that you're bashing your own lottery selection while simultanously arguing in favor of needing even more picks even though you apparently can't nail them.

and you traded away future #1 picks and sign our "failed" pick to $30+ million a year why again?
Texas Chuck

Post#143 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:42 pm

Zenzibar wrote:
urgal wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:This is a thread about a guy drafted with one of those lottery picks that your team eventually traded for. See the failed logic?

I see the failed logic that you're bashing your own lottery selection while simultanously arguing in favor of needing even more picks even though you apparently can't nail them.

and you traded away future #1 picks and sign our "failed" pick to $30+ million a year why again?

Cmon mate -- everyone knows you do what you have to do in order to get Tim Hardaway Jr. sheeesh
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,903

Post#144 » by HMFFL » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:43 pm

There is nothing quietly about it. Everything in the league seems to get revealed.
KP hasn't played since February 14th and while Dallas has only played one game since, he will sit again tonight vs Boston. He hasn't been the best fit for Dallas yet he's one of the teams only assets.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 89,981

Post#145 » by Capn'O » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:44 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

So it does work again. 8-) I'm not actually going to post any takes because that's not cool, but I will say some of the biggest **** talkers itt might have declared without caveat that KP was a lock to have a better career than Dirk.

If he can distance himself from the injury turnstile, he can likely still be a good player for y'all... but that was the biggest concern.

Knicks fans. I probably should look though at some of us Dallas guys and see who hated KP right up until he was a Mav. Probably some.

I was always a big KP guy going back to the draft when I remember screaming that Philly should draft him. So I was elated when Dallas traded for him. But I have to admit it's been a rough ride.

But man some of these old takes compared to the current ones are hilarious. :lol:

I think mine was pretty consistent. I hated the trade at the time with the caveat that injuries could set him back from my projected borderline All Star status for him. Unfortunately for him/Mavs, that downside seems to be coming to fruition.

I do know that my assessment of him has been roundly rejected by Knicks fans as not bullish enough before and too bullish after, and as not bullish enough by Mavs fans up until this year. You don't have to tell me I'm right ;)
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
matt6715
Veteran
And1: 2,797

Post#146 » by matt6715 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:45 pm

Anyway back to the topic instead of reading Knicks fans bicker with Mavs fans:

KP being out again tonight has added fuel to the fire for sure. I'm honestly not sure why the Mavs would be making a move right now when KP's value is essentially all-time low. Only two options would be KP asking out (which seems premature?) or Luka telling the front office "get me more help" (which doesn't seem to fit his vibe 2.5 seasons in)
urgal
Rookie
And1: 1,876

Post#147 » by urgal » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:46 pm

Zenzibar wrote:and you traded away future #1 picks and sign our "failed" pick to $30+ million a year why again?

....Because the other alternative was to play China-bound DSJ and pursue free-agency calibres like Calderon, Dalembert or Chris Kaman like we did it the last years 10?

Yeah I'd still rather thake a flyer on KP then.
Texas Chuck

Post#148 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:48 pm

Capn'O wrote:I think mine was pretty consistent. I hated the trade at the time with the caveat that injuries could set him back from my projected borderline All Star status for him. Unfortunately for him/Mavs, that downside seems to be coming to fruition.

I think most people fell pretty close to this. Dallas was making a boom/bust move. Chance to have gotten a young star player relatively cheaply. Also a chance to have their draft tied up for years while having a max contract sitting on their books not getting nearly the play out of him they need.

Knicks decision always seemed easier because he seemed to really want out. So you avoid paying him, dump some other money so you can take a big FA swing and get some assets. Looked bad immediately when the stars chose the other city team, but Randle is now playing at an all-star level and the Dallas picks look more valuable than they did a year ago.
Swish1906
Head Coach
And1: 10,457

Post#149 » by Swish1906 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:51 pm

So the Mavs are calling teams about KP but no FO leaks it to Woj or Shams like they do pretty much with everything.

They leak it to some small smock from B/R. Yeah sure :lol: :lol: :lol:

Amazing what people believe just because it "fits"
Zenzibar
General Manager

Post#150 » by Zenzibar » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:53 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

My man, not to get it twisted, New York loved KP and through the losing we were having fun again.
We continuously and loyally backed KP up even:
1. When he was being extorted by a female neighbor.
2. Refused to meet with Phil Jackson at the end of the season.
3. Decided not to rehab with the team but stay in Europe.

We were loyal up to the point he wanted nothing to do with New York and now he's dead to the majority.

But ask Carmelo how the love flows at MSG for him, he gets nothing but love at MSG.
Zenzibar
General Manager

Post#151 » by Zenzibar » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:54 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:
urgal wrote:I see the failed logic that you're bashing your own lottery selection while simultanously arguing in favor of needing even more picks even though you apparently can't nail them.

Cmon mate -- everyone knows you do what you have to do in order to get Tim Hardaway Jr. sheeesh

:lol:

Who would have guessed he would be the untouchable between the 2.
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,929

Post#152 » by Apz » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:57 pm

NY2k1 wrote:
DroseReturnChi wrote:
clyde21 wrote:lol no way the Warriors are giving up a top 5 pick potentially for zinger at this point never gonna happen

ok gl winning with wiggs and rookie wiseman with a expiring 3 yr window. just win 1 more and rebuild. you had your run.
I dont mind the warriors imploding with all of them injured but wasting Steph's prime yrs is just blasphemous.
Just trade the trio for better deserving teams instead of holding them hostage.

No one would trade a potential top 5 pick for KP lol.

What are the odds it ebds up 4th or 5th since its top 3 protected?
lonzo_pelota
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,538

Post#153 » by lonzo_pelota » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:02 pm

whats that saying, if you can make it in new york you can make it anywhere....
well Kristaps didnt exactly make it in new york and dallas affinity for him is waning especially when this news gets out.
Marty_Budda
Sixth Man
And1: 2,801

Post#154 » by Marty_Budda » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:07 pm

Apz wrote:
NY2k1 wrote:
DroseReturnChi wrote:
ok gl winning with wiggs and rookie wiseman with a expiring 3 yr window. just win 1 more and rebuild. you had your run.
I dont mind the warriors imploding with all of them injured but wasting Steph's prime yrs is just blasphemous.

If it ends up being top 3 that’s ok. The wolves will suck again next year and the warriors will get their top 5 pick then.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 89,981

Post#155 » by Capn'O » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:14 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
Capn'O wrote:I think mine was pretty consistent. I hated the trade at the time with the caveat that injuries could set him back from my projected borderline All Star status for him. Unfortunately for him/Mavs, that downside seems to be coming to fruition.

I think most people fell pretty close to this. Dallas was making a boom/bust move. Chance to have gotten a young star player relatively cheaply. Also a chance to have their draft tied up for years while having a max contract sitting on their books not getting nearly the play out of him they need.

Knicks decision always seemed easier because he seemed to really want out. So you avoid paying him, dump some other money so you can take a big FA swing and get some assets. Looked bad immediately when the stars chose the other city team, but Randle is now playing at an all-star level and the Dallas picks look more valuable than they did a year ago.

A couple of things - I do think the Knicks botched his exit. All of his peers from that draft class received contract extensions earlier that season and then there were the rumors of us shopping him. There was non-commitment on both ends but with those moves I always felt we forced his hand on wanting out, though the hesitance to commit long term was understandable. Beyond the looming contract extension, you need specific pieces to make him workable and those weren't the ones the Knicks were pursuing. You need a bully up front and ironically, Randle would have fit well imo.

Also, there was still a contingent of fans - ours and around the league - by the time of the trade that saw superstar in him. I think that hope faded after Year 1 for me. There were too many holes in his game and physique to reach that stature. But he was/is good at a lot of things too. If he can stay healthy, I think the disappointment for what he can't be should start to fade.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach
And1: 16,086

Post#156 » by CIN-C-STAR » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:15 pm

"Gauging the market" could mean anything from looking to see if another team is interested in giving up a Jrue Holiday-style overpay for him, or looking to dump his salary so they can be players in the offseason, or maybe nothing at all and it's just a reporter looking for clicks.
So I'm petty dubious of this report.
That said, the Spurs once upon a time were reportedly intrigued by Porzingis and have a boatload of expiring contracts, so if they are looking to dump his salary it could be a fit.
Something like Lamarcus Aldridge, Lonnie Walker and a protected FRP might get it done. Mavs get cap relief, a young player that can shoot 3s, and a future asset. Not bad for an injury-prone player who is overpaid.
I imagine Mavs fans would want more for him but I doubt his market value is higher than that tbh. You aren't trading the player you are trding the contract, after all. KP is talented but it's doubtful he'll ever exceed his current contract in terms of value, and fairly likely he underperforms that contract considering his injury history.
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
John Murdoch
General Manager
And1: 7,238

Post#157 » by John Murdoch » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:16 pm

PistolPeteJR wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
They already have two centers who are playing really well.

Seems like Myles is always being tossed in trade rumors though. Turner and McDermott for KP works in the trade machine and it solves both of Dallas’ biggest weaknesses - 3 point shooting and rebounding

There is no way KP nets you Turner.

said nobody ever
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,128

Post#158 » by clyde21 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:16 pm

Apz wrote:
NY2k1 wrote:
DroseReturnChi wrote:

it's like 50/50 it conveys this year, if it doesn't it's unprotected in 2022.

moral of the story: no. at this point the Mavs might have to give up a 1st rounder to get rid of the Zinger contract instead of receiving one, especially one with top 5 potential.
Zenzibar
General Manager

Post#159 » by Zenzibar » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:18 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:

The crazy thing is that we ran Phil Jackson out of town for amongst other things for thinking about trading KP for Boston's #3 (turned out to be Tatum) and Jaylen Brown.

Not that we wouldn't have fked up that draft pick but whateva.

During the Porzingis Brothers and PJackson flare-up, Phil said Porzingis gave him Shaun Bradley vibes and we all thought he was senile.

The GOAT of coaches knows a thing or 2 about a thing or 2.
Texas Chuck

Post#160 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:20 pm

Capn'O wrote:If he can stay healthy, I think the disappointment for what he can't be should start to fade.

I'm trying to get here, but I'll admit I haven't been able to yet. The reality is, if he can stay on the court he is a quite valuable offensive piece. Especially in a Luka-centric offense where his spacing helps Luka get in the paint where his finishing/vision make him so valuable. He's not actually a great shooter, but his willingness to fire away definitely opens things up.

But the idea of him being a plus defender plus a stretch 5 was so enticing. If he can't get to being at least neutral defensively again it's going to be hard for me to accept what he is.

Return to The General Board