Devin Booker - The Kaiser of Empty Stats

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,421

Re: Devin Booker - The Kaiser of Empty Stats 

Post#201 » by scrabbarista » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:11 pm

Maxthirty wrote:
scrabbarista wrote:Booker was less than four months removed from being 20 years old when this thread was made.

Sheesh, people. I tried to tell you so many times. He's the real deal.

He was 22 when this thread was made.

Correct.

Still, it was less than four months from him being 21. I was a year off.

Point being, he was the exact same age, within about a month, as Damian Lillard was...

on his first day in the league.

if my math is correct
Vampirate
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,616

Post#202 » by Vampirate » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:25 pm

Hsker4Life wrote:
Vampirate wrote:Honestly, it's just the Chris Paul effect here.

He goes to the Rockets and they have their best seasons with Harden, he goes to the OKC and they start winning, now he's on the Suns.

The guy just knows how to run a team.

Has nothing to do with Booker? Got it. Thanks for the amazing hot take.

Booker is an All Star and has been for a while.

But just to add context here, SGA was an All Star last year and is having a better year this year.

Both players are All Stars.

Last year having an All Star player (SGA) with Chris Paul and OKC is won 61.1% of their games.

This year, even though SGA is having a better year the OKC are winning 38.7% of their games.

Last year Booker actually had a more efficient year in scoring than he's had this year. The Suns won 46.6% of their games.

This year Booker's scoring efficiency has taken a bit of a hit, still an All Star scorer, but now that the Suns have Chris Paul the Suns are winning 66.6% of their games.

My remark wasn't so much a knock on Booker here.

It's just Chris Paul is THAT GOOD of a PG.
Seattlesun
Head Coach
And1: 359

Post#203 » by Seattlesun » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:47 pm

Booker is the best player on the team that's about to pass the two LA teams for 2nd in the Western Conference. But yeah, he sucks :noway:

What a bunch of ignorant children in here....
Drygon
Veteran
And1: 4,723

Post#204 » by Drygon » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:48 pm

Vampirate wrote:Honestly, it's just the Chris Paul effect here.

He goes to the Rockets and they have their best seasons with Harden, he goes to the OKC and they start winning, now he's on the Suns.

The guy just knows how to run a team.

It's clearly not Chris Paul effect :lol:

The Suns won 10 straight games in the bubble and were undefeated. They just kept their momentum from last season.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,322

Post#205 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:56 pm

This is the issue of deciding if a player's stats are empty based entirely on his team's wins and losses.

Is his defense any better than this year prior to other years? No not really. Is he passing more and being more of a team first player? No not really. Is he more efficient in his scoring? No not really. But all of a sudden Booker is no longer an empty stats guy.

No you bring CP3 onto the team and the other young guys improve and all of a sudden you start getting more wins. Do I think if you switch Booker with LaVine does PHX team get worse and Chicago gets better? Nope. But Im sure many on here call LaVine an empty stats guy.

And to be crystal clear, Im not saying Booker isnt good. The dude is damn good. This is more I just think its so dumb to toss young guys on bad teams who put up good numbers as just empty stats guys. Just because everyone cant be an elite top 5 player and carry any group of players to the playoffs by the time they're 23 doesnt mean they are just empty stats guys. Get them a good roster and you will see them getting wins.
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,039

Post#206 » by Crives » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:13 pm

Seattlesun wrote:Booker is the best player on the team that's about to pass the two LA teams for 2nd in the Western Conference. But yeah, he sucks :noway:

Phx would be in 2nd right now if we hadn’t blown that stupid Brooklyn game. I think there is good chance phx passes Lakers before all star break.
Seattlesun
Head Coach

Post#207 » by Seattlesun » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:28 pm

Crives wrote:
Seattlesun wrote:Booker is the best player on the team that's about to pass the two LA teams for 2nd in the Western Conference. But yeah, he sucks :noway:

Phx would be in 2nd right now if we hadn’t blown that stupid Brooklyn game. I think there is good chance phx passes Lakers before all star break.

That sucked but I'm trying to spin that game as positive, you have to play 48 mins and the Suns have done that since. The games that I haven't gotten over are the two OT losses to Denver...
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,019

Post#208 » by JN61 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:31 pm

I hate this type of threads.... What he does now does not mean what he did 2 years ago wasn't the case back then.

Also: where where they last year at this time without CP3?
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
Seattlesun
Head Coach

Post#209 » by Seattlesun » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:36 pm

JN61 wrote:I hate this type of threads.... What he does now does not mean what he did 2 years ago wasn't the case back then.

What, do you mean NBA players and teams can change, improve, evolve, mature? Get outta here!!!
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,847

Post#210 » by kuclas » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:42 pm

Booker is excellent offensive player. I wonder if you developed booker in Boston. Where the right system hides players defensive weakness. Heck even Kyrie Irving had his best defensive ratings while in Boston and we all know Irving is subpar defensive player.

Basically and I know Boston fans will hate me saying this. You put Tatum in Phoenix. Tatums defensive deficiencies become even worse. Boston just has a better defensive system. It’s just the truth.
Jay_Sizzle
Senior
And1: 526

Post#211 » by Jay_Sizzle » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:17 pm

Ambrose wrote:
SunsLyf3 wrote:
Pg81 wrote:
Yes let us ignore the previous two years, his rookie team was competing for the 8th spot before they went tank mode btw, and pretend like he did not lead the most efficient offense in NBA history as a sophomore. :roll:
Let us also ignore that he leads the league in potential assist and that his previously top tier 3 point shooting team mates suddenly cannnot hit the broad side of the barn from downtown despite all the wide open looks he gives them.

Funny how Booker has gleaguers as teammates for multiple years and he is an empty stad padder. Luka is put with much better talent than Book had from year 1 but is excused from criticism when his flaws are shown. Lmao.

Luka is on a different planet than Booker as a player. You're wasting your time comparing them.
I'm not so sure about that. The Suns have beaten up the Mavs the last few years. Luka is probably a better playmaker, while Booker the better scorer. The on court results show the two players are closer than you imply.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Ambrose
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,227

Post#212 » by Ambrose » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:35 pm

Jay_Sizzle wrote:
Ambrose wrote:
SunsLyf3 wrote:Funny how Booker has gleaguers as teammates for multiple years and he is an empty stad padder. Luka is put with much better talent than Book had from year 1 but is excused from criticism when his flaws are shown. Lmao.

Luka is on a different planet than Booker as a player. You're wasting your time comparing them.
I'm not so sure about that. The Suns have beaten up the Mavs the last few years. Luka is probably a better playmaker, while Booker the better scorer. The on court results show the two players are closer than you imply.

Luka is literally better at everything except shooting from distance. If you think otherwise, you're either a massive Suns homer or have absolutely no clue what you're watching.

Luka Doncic (averages last two seasons)
28.8 ppg 9.1 rpg 9.0 apg 1.0 spg 0.4 bpg 46.6-32.1-76.2 splits
115 ORTG 111 DRTG 27.2 PER 58.5% TS 8.2 BPM 7.8 VORP
+3.0 OnCourt, +3.3 On-Off

Accolades in last calendar year
1st Team All NBA
2x All Star Starter

Devin Booker (career highs)
26.6 ppg 4.5 rpg 6.8 apg 0.9 spg 0.3 bpg 50.1-38.3-91.9 splits
115 ORTG 112 DRTG 20.6 PER 61.8% TS 2.2 BPM 2.6 VORP
+6.2 OnCourt, +6.0 On-Off

Accolades in entire career
1x NBA All Star
Seattlesun
Head Coach

Post#213 » by Seattlesun » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:22 pm

Ambrose wrote:
Jay_Sizzle wrote:
Ambrose wrote:

Luka is literally better at everything except shooting from distance. If you think otherwise, you're either a massive Suns homer or have absolutely no clue what you're watching.

Luka Doncic (averages last two seasons)
28.8 ppg 9.1 rpg 9.0 apg 1.0 spg 0.4 bpg 46.6-32.1-76.2 splits
115 ORTG 111 DRTG 27.2 PER 58.5% TS 8.2 BPM 7.8 VORP
+3.0 OnCourt, +3.3 On-Off

Accolades in last calendar year
1st Team All NBA
2x All Star Starter

Devin Booker (career highs)
26.6 ppg 4.5 rpg 6.8 apg 0.9 spg 0.3 bpg 50.1-38.3-91.9 splits
115 ORTG 112 DRTG 20.6 PER 61.8% TS 2.2 BPM 2.6 VORP
+6.2 OnCourt, +6.0 On-Off

Accolades in entire career
1x NBA All Star

Its never apples to apples comparing Luka stats with other players because he has the ball in his hands 22 out of every 24 secs of the shot clock. If Devin did that, what would his numbers be? If Luka allowed other guys to touch the ball, what would his numbers be? However, to say these two players are on "different planets" then accuse someone else of being a homer? C'mon man.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,010

Post#214 » by Lalouie » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:50 pm

Lord Cuban wrote:Devin Booker is in his 4th season in the NBA and he signed a $158 million maximum contract extension last summer. He is still good young player but he is clearly not a franchise player material or a superstar. since he came into the league his stats never translated in wins, his team never won more than 24 games with him and that's unacceptable for a guy that talks like his the Man of the team or a star... he is the 3rd in the entire league in turnovers per game and plays one of worst defense in the league... This guy is the Kaiser of Empty Stats.

i think lavine is worse
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,660

Post#215 » by johanliebert » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:00 pm

What nerd coined the term empty stats?

The suns weren’t even trying to win in his first few seasons
JazzMan_OS
Sophomore
And1: 135

Post#216 » by JazzMan_OS » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:56 pm

I'm a Booker hater but to say he puts up empty stats isn't fair

His team has been a dumpster fire literally until this year. If the Suns somehow drop out of playoff contention, then the hate can get piled on

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk
SunsLyf3
Sixth Man
And1: 1,546

Post#217 » by SunsLyf3 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:51 pm

Ambrose wrote:
SunsLyf3 wrote:
Pg81 wrote:
Yes let us ignore the previous two years, his rookie team was competing for the 8th spot before they went tank mode btw, and pretend like he did not lead the most efficient offense in NBA history as a sophomore. :roll:
Let us also ignore that he leads the league in potential assist and that his previously top tier 3 point shooting team mates suddenly cannnot hit the broad side of the barn from downtown despite all the wide open looks he gives them.

Funny how Booker has gleaguers as teammates for multiple years and he is an empty stad padder. Luka is put with much better talent than Book had from year 1 but is excused from criticism when his flaws are shown. Lmao.

They are. One was pampered since he came to the league and had a legit NBA team around him. The other had to work hard to earn his due and played with a horrible roster while putting elite efficiency scoring.
SunsLyf3
Sixth Man
And1: 1,546

Post#218 » by SunsLyf3 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:04 am

Pg81 wrote:
SunsLyf3 wrote:
Pg81 wrote:

:roll:
What are you talking about? Rookie Luka was already competing with his team for the playoffs with DeAndre Jordan as his right hand man until the team was dismantled. He then led the most efficient offense of all time into the playoffs where he played brilliantly against a then hailed as a finalist in the Clippers. He had some struggles this year partly due to coming into the league out of shape, for which he should and was rightfully critizised, but is back to old form and has even improved on defense and the past 8 games even showed noticable improvements in terms of efficiency. The Mavs had some of the worst luck with Covid sickness and injuries, only Miami was hit worse. KP is a overall a net negative who does not even provide all that much rim protection so there is a clear decline all around where the team was one of the best 3 point shooting teams in the league to be rock bottom. Anyone who has actually watched the Mavs game, which I doubt you have, can only shake their head in amazemed just how many bricks Luka`s team mates are laying from wide open jumpers which is why he leads the league in potential assists. Despite that he still takes the blame and does not throw his team mates under the bus yet he is only 22 years old. He is also highly critical of himself and has admitted that he complains too much for example.
What flaws are "exposed" and what criticism is Luka above? Unlike Booker Luka is already a proven winner who would have a shot getting into the HoF on his Euro resume alone.

Yeah. When it's about Luka it's "bad luck". That happens to literally every team lol.

Burke, DJ, THJ, Curry, Kleber, Barnes, Powell, Smith Jr. Man what a horrible team. How could anyone win with NBA caliber players.

It's not like he was playing with Bender, Chriss, Mike James, Ulis, Canaan, Len, the corpses of Ryno and TC, among many other names that are unheard of today.
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,558

Post#219 » by dautjazz » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:45 am

I don't think AD edged out Booker by that much, and less if you consider he missed 9 out of 32 games. Should of just Booker in over AD, probably will be the replacement.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,098

Post#220 » by spanishninja » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:15 am

Around the allstar break they were still in reach of .500 despite Ayton's suspension, and injuries to Rubio, Baynes, and Booker himself through the year. Not exactly sonething to scoff at.
JN61 wrote:I hate this type of threads.... What he does now does not mean what he did 2 years ago wasn't the case back then.

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app

Return to The General Board