Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXIX 

Post#1521 » by Wizardspride » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:27 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1522 » by Ruzious » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:45 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Wow.

This theater of the absurd martyr act has got to stop. And anyone who buys this crap is an imbecile. To actually expect the Supreme Court of the US to buy it - even with a majority of Republicans there - is outrageous. Any lawyer that put his or her name on that argument should be immediately disbarred. Enough is f'n enough! His reaction there makes me think the American justice system needs to go much harder against him. Many Democrats think it would be bad for the country to have a former US President go to jail. I think he's proven them wrong.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,673

Post#1523 » by Pointgod » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:53 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

From the people that brought you lock her up.......
Pointgod
RealGM

Post#1524 » by Pointgod » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:11 am

Ruzious wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Wow.

This theater of the absurd martyr act has got to stop. And anyone who buys this crap is an imbecile. To actually expect the Supreme Court of the US to buy it - even with a majority of Republicans there - is outrageous. Any lawyer that put his or her name on that argument should be immediately disbarred. Enough is f'n enough! His reaction there makes me think the American justice system needs to go much harder against him. Many Democrats think it would be bad for the country to have a former US President go to jail. I think he's proven them wrong.

Those Democrats are idiots but I believe they’re in a minority of opinions on the Democratic side
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,332

Post#1525 » by dobrojim » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:46 am

Was it Kojack or Baretta that said don’t do the crime if you can’t do the time?
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,182

Post#1526 » by Zonkerbl » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:51 am

All I hear is "waaah, waaaaaaah, waaaaaaah, I'm a loser"
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,883

Post#1527 » by TGW » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:11 am

Looks like Neera Tanden won’t be voted in omb chief. Thank goodness for small miracles. That women is a plight.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1528 » by Wizardspride » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:16 pm

TGW wrote:Looks like Neera Tanden won’t be voted in omb chief. Thank goodness for small miracles. That women is a plight.

How so?
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Pointgod
RealGM

Post#1529 » by Pointgod » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:33 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
TGW wrote:Looks like Neera Tanden won’t be voted in omb chief. Thank goodness for small miracles. That women is a plight.

How so?

Because Rose Twitter told him so. It’s interesting that you have Progressives cheering the possible tanking of the nomination of a woman of color. And Republicans being their usual hypocritical, dickish selves.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,971

Post#1530 » by dckingsfan » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:02 pm

bsilver wrote:Why would Trump supporters want a new party? Trump owns the Republican party now, and this is likely to continue as long as he stays involved. As we just saw in the impeachment vote, very few, unless they were retiring, were willing to take on Trump.

The anti-Trumpers are in an impossible situation. They know starting a new party themselves has no chance of success. For the most part they are as conservative as the Trumpers, so wouldn't attract independents. Their only distinction from the Trump wing of the party, is that they don't like Trump, and the over the top rhetoric. I's ironic they don't like the rhetoric because they've benefited from dog-whistle politics, and haven't condemned it in the past. They want it both ways - attract the racists, etc., but have denyabilty so they can appeal to independents.

Agreed.

And to add both the Trumpers and anti-Trumpers are using it as a threat. I don't think it will amount to much - but it would be awesome to watch one group or the other go out on their own.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#1531 » by verbal8 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:47 pm

This is a problem for the country in that roughly 15% of the country that eagerly wants to follow Trump down the rabbit hole of racism and lies. Even bigger is the problem for the GOP, that both needs to hang on to those voters and the the establishment to remain viable, never mind the challenge of demographics shifting even more against them.

The GOP is Trump's only path to a political office of any significance. But if politics is primarily a con for him, his own party might be the most lucrative grift.

dobrojim wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

If I believed in conspiracy theories, I would think this would get Golfy McBonespurs
assassinated. Even if he does enjoy lifetime secret service protection.

This is obviously an existential crisis for the GOP. They're already a minority
nationally and can't afford any losses at all. Many solidly red states would
obviously be at risk (of flipping) if they were to split into 2 parties.
TGW
RealGM

Post#1532 » by TGW » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:05 pm

Wizardspride wrote:

How so?

Just read the reasons why. The reasons stated by the people voting against her are 100% accurate. She's partisan DC swamp scum and shouldn't be a part of any administration.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1533 » by Ruzious » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:27 pm

Wizardspride wrote:

How so?

What he probably means is that she's a friend of Hillary's.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
TGW
RealGM

Post#1534 » by TGW » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:18 am

Pointgod wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:

How so?

Because Rose Twitter told him so. It’s interesting that you have Progressives cheering the possible tanking of the nomination of a woman of color. And Republicans being their usual hypocritical, dickish selves.

You know I took you off of my ignore list just to see what stupid nonsense you would respond with knowing that you’re a part of Hillary Clinton’s online troll farm, and you didn’t disappoint. Despite your desperate attempt at making progressives look non-progressive (the most outspoken progressives in the house and politics in general are women of color), It’s true that progressives don’t care about skin color and genitalia when it comes to policies. We care about substance, unlike idiots like you who push mindless identity politics as a punchline.

But continue to troll, troll. I find it sad that Hillary’s online street team is still spamming the internet in 2021. She lost...get over it eurodweeb.
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#1535 » by I_Like_Dirt » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:28 am

Ruzious wrote:
Read on Twitter

I know not all Republicans are as flat-out stupid as the Governor of Texas, but why do they let themselves be represented by people like that? Am I overrating their intelligence?
It doesn't always have to do with intelligence. They go along with it because that's their team and the other team is losing, so to speak. Turn this into a sports-fans type of arena and anything you do that goes against the other team is a positive, no matter how ridiculous. There are still Knicks fans out there, for example - doesn't matter what Dolan does.

Sent from my SM-G970W using RealGM mobile app
Bucket! Bucket!
Pointgod
RealGM

Post#1536 » by Pointgod » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:25 pm

TGW wrote:
Pointgod wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:How so?

You know I took you off of my ignore list just to see what stupid nonsense you would respond with knowing that you’re a part of Hillary Clinton’s online troll farm, and you didn’t disappoint. Despite your desperate attempt at making progressives look non-progressive (the most outspoken progressives in the house and politics in general are women of color), It’s true that progressives don’t care about skin color and genitalia when it comes to policies. We care about substance, unlike idiots like you who push mindless identity politics as a punchline.

But continue to troll, troll. I find it sad that Hillary’s online street team is still spamming the internet in 2021. She lost...get over it eurodweeb.

Your obsession with Hillary Clinton is only less pathetic than Trump’s. No one brought up Hillary so I have no idea what she has to do with any of this. Feel free to explain to me how Neera Tandon is partisan? She pretty much has criticized both Democratic and Republican politicians. That’s actually the opposite of partisan. Notice how no one has actually questioned her qualifications? Just a bunch of butt hurt politicians and Bernie Bros like yourself who are mad that she dared criticize St. Bernie.

Hugh **** Hewitt who’s an absolute clown and piece of trash has more sense in the matter than you and idiots that are cheering the derailment of Tanden’s nomination

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/539850-hugh-hewitt-says-senate-should-confirm-tanden

"All political people, especially senators, should live with the same rules of political debate as the rest of us. They should not use their confirmation power to protect themselves from online criticism, however hurtful," Hewitt wrote. "Everyone draws the line at threats. But Tanden has just clobbered people the good old-fashioned way: with words."

Hewitt went on to argue that even if Tanden's previous tweets are considered a referendum on her temperament, that would be a more appropriate consideration for a position such as a lifetime judgeship.

"New presidents who have four years to succeed deserve their team in place, absent disqualifying personal flaws or other serious cause for concern. There are exceptions to every rule, but 'mean tweets' doesn't even come close," Hewitt wrote.
Pointgod
RealGM

Post#1537 » by Pointgod » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:35 pm

bsilver wrote:Why would Trump supporters want a new party? Trump owns the Republican party now, and this is likely to continue as long as he stays involved. As we just saw in the impeachment vote, very few, unless they were retiring, were willing to take on Trump.

The anti-Trumpers are in an impossible situation. They know starting a new party themselves has no chance of success. For the most part they are as conservative as the Trumpers, so wouldn't attract independents. Their only distinction from the Trump wing of the party, is that they don't like Trump, and the over the top rhetoric. I's ironic they don't like the rhetoric because they've benefited from dog-whistle politics, and haven't condemned it in the past. They want it both ways - attract the racists, etc., but have denyabilty so they can appeal to independents.

Well if the anti-Trumpers are trying to prove that Trumpism can’t win long term then it’s actually in their best interests for the Republican Party to split. The remember the point is long term that they can see how Trumpism is destructive long term, better to lose in the short term than get destroyed long term (which will happen if Democrats can get their act together). Just imagine you’re a normal Republican politician or political consultant, do you really want be dealing with **** QAnon crazies the rest of your career?
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1538 » by Wizardspride » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:39 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#1539 » by verbal8 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:46 pm

Pointgod wrote:

Well if the anti-Trumpers are trying to prove that Trumpism can’t win long term then it’s actually in their best interests for the Republican Party to split. The remember the point is long term that they can see how Trumpism is destructive long term, better to lose in the short term than get destroyed long term (which will happen if Democrats can get their act together). Just imagine you’re a normal Republican politician or political consultant, do you really want be dealing with **** QAnon crazies the rest of your career?

Similar to a bigger danger to the country from a "smarter Trump" the danger to the GOP from a "smarter Trump" starting a third party is a lot more. I can't see a Trump founded party lasting more than a four year cycle.

If someone like Josh Hawley got going by building a faction with grass roots within the party over a couple cycles, by the time the party split the rest of the GOP might not be a viable party.

One thing Trump might be able to maintain is a regional deep South party - although GA would likely be out and FL would be included. Given the type of candidates a Trumpist party would produce it would likely lose some elections to Dems, but a big portion of the GOP is probably enough to be viable. They would at least generally caucus with the GOP. The GOP might also see an advantage in being able to moderate and be more competitive in the areas they are getting shutout like the Northeast.
Pointgod
RealGM

Post#1540 » by Pointgod » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:28 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Tactical genius Mitch McConnell everybody

Return to Washington Wizards