ImageImageImage

Booker Discussion, news and highlights

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Where would you rank last year's Booker on the 2004-05 team?

Best player
11%
2nd best
19%
3rd best
36%
4th best
24%
5th best
10%

Total votes: 103

suns12345
Starter
And1: 1,612

Re: Booker Discussion, news and highlights 

Post#801 » by suns12345 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:28 pm

Mr Puddles wrote:
spanishninja wrote:
Seattlesun wrote:Hey fellas, if we are honest with ourselves, Dev did get off to a pretty slow start and had TO issues early. We all know he belongs amongst the top players but with all the hard decisions voters have to make, I think Dev’s slow start hurt him. Good chance he replaces AD. If not, incentive to kick a$$ the rest of the way. Go Suns!!

most of the other west all-stars had continuity compared to last year. the only other one in a new situation was CP3, and if you recall he was rusty himself early in the season. hard to blame a slow start all on booker.

His slow start was clearly an anomaly, not the norm, and he's been his old self again in February. The thing about the All-star selections is that you don't want to look back on it at the end of the year and go "why the hell wasn't that guy selected" - Booker needing 10 games or so to adjust to sharing the backcourt with another star player for the first time in his career shouldn't disqualify him from making the all-star team, especially when you factor in how he's been snubbed in the past. Anyone thinking that Booker has forgotten how to be a dominant scorer on elite efficiency over the summer is kidding themselves. Then add to that fact that some of the guys selected over him, really haven't been playing much better (or better at all for that matter). I guess this is a by-product as well of all-star selections being made earlier in the season (games wise).

The inconsistency with how the selections are made is what bugs me more. Donovan Mitchell is basically putting up stats that are virtually identical to Booker in his 3rd year - in terms of scoring, ts%, assists, rebounds and AST to TO - but nobody bats an eye at him being an allstar selection because the Jazz have the best record in the league. Zion's team has one of the worst records in the league, but gets selected because he has nice scoring numbers (even though his defense and rebounding leave much to be desired). And then Booker is caught in the middle: better statistically than Mitchell, but one a team with a worst record, and arguably worse than Zion statistically but one a team with a much better record. Somewhere between selection Mitchell and Zion the narrative seemed to shift from, "team record" to "individual stats". The goal post seems to shift with each selection.

Is it crazy that all star selections are finalised after 30 games. less than halfway through even this shortened season?

"Slow start" is really just a few bad games, and you're done...
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,163

Post#802 » by Revived » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:14 pm

Read on Twitter
Wilber85
Veteran
And1: 2,421

Post#803 » by Wilber85 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:41 pm

Booker needs to step it up on defense. If he wants to be an all-star, start locking down players
Barkley6
Veteran
And1: 2,406

Post#804 » by Barkley6 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:47 pm

Wilber85 wrote:Booker needs to step it up on defense. If he wants to be an all-star, start locking down players

Come on now, Steph is a bad defender, Luka isn't amazing on defense, Harden is a terrible defender, Zion isn't anything special on the defensive end.

It's not about his defense.
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 7,565

Post#805 » by Calvin Klein » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:31 pm

It seems everybody is upset about this except Suns fans. I do think he should be in but I'm not outraged. The competition is strong and only I would only put him instead of Zion. He should be getting in via replacement though.
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,911

Post#806 » by Fo-Real » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:34 pm

DUDES NOT EVEN AN ALLSTAR, TRADE HIS ASS!!! (I dont know how to do green font).
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,131

Post#807 » by spanishninja » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:43 pm

suns12345 wrote:
Mr Puddles wrote:
spanishninja wrote:
most of the other west all-stars had continuity compared to last year. the only other one in a new situation was CP3, and if you recall he was rusty himself early in the season. hard to blame a slow start all on booker.

His slow start was clearly an anomaly, not the norm, and he's been his old self again in February. The thing about the All-star selections is that you don't want to look back on it at the end of the year and go "why the hell wasn't that guy selected" - Booker needing 10 games or so to adjust to sharing the backcourt with another star player for the first time in his career shouldn't disqualify him from making the all-star team, especially when you factor in how he's been snubbed in the past. Anyone thinking that Booker has forgotten how to be a dominant scorer on elite efficiency over the summer is kidding themselves. Then add to that fact that some of the guys selected over him, really haven't been playing much better (or better at all for that matter). I guess this is a by-product as well of all-star selections being made earlier in the season (games wise).

The inconsistency with how the selections are made is what bugs me more. Donovan Mitchell is basically putting up stats that are virtually identical to Booker in his 3rd year - in terms of scoring, ts%, assists, rebounds and AST to TO - but nobody bats an eye at him being an allstar selection because the Jazz have the best record in the league. Zion's team has one of the worst records in the league, but gets selected because he has nice scoring numbers (even though his defense and rebounding leave much to be desired). And then Booker is caught in the middle: better statistically than Mitchell, but one a team with a worst record, and arguably worse than Zion statistically but one a team with a much better record. Somewhere between selection Mitchell and Zion the narrative seemed to shift from, "team record" to "individual stats". The goal post seems to shift with each selection.

Is it crazy that all star selections are finalised after 30 games. less than halfway through even this shortened season?

"Slow start" is really just a few bad games, and you're done...

and even there, Donovan Mitchell struggled MUCH more than Booker earlier on. Was like 35% from the field in December.
Fo-Real
General Manager

Post#808 » by Fo-Real » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:56 pm

suns12345 wrote:
JayBenzy wrote:Im expecting Booker to score 120 pts tomorrow....

Hornets were praying for D Book to make the team haha

Lol, Hornets when the list came out: "DAMNTI!!! Why yall gotta sic him on us?!?! Can we cancel this game due to covid precautions?!?! (cough, cough!!)"!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Devin is a man of focus and sheer will!!!

Nba's call to the suns front office today.... I hear you struck my team?!?!

Suns: "Yes sir I did"!!

NBA: Can you tell me why?!?!

Suns: Yeah well, the coaches snubbed Devin Booker and kicked his dog!!!

NBA:.............OOOHHH.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#809 » by No-Man » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:58 pm

suns12345 wrote:
Fischella wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
I think he will pick Booker again. It's kind of hard to argue with the picks...between Paul it was close. I was thinking he should have made it over Zion, but pulling up Zion's #s and looking, they are impressive.

I'm a little surprised if the coaches respect Booker though, that they wouldn't take him over Zion...you'd think they'd wait a little bit for younger players.

Seems like the only other possibility might be DeRozan, who has pretty similar #s to Book (fewer points but almost double the assists, more boards, similar TS%), but Book is on the better team and seems to be who the players want (obvious by their voting too).

I think Sabonis might be the biggest snub though. The guy is averaging 21.5, 11.6, 5.7, 1, .7, with a 60% TS%. Easily the best player on 4th seed and they got no one. Probably the best passing big man next to Jokic..but great all around.

Hard to argue with east picks though. He would surely be the injury replacement in the east if there was one.

Trae and Bam are the biggest snubs, including the West, they should have been in over Randle and Vuc

Booker surely will make it in for AD, but to me he didn't cut it as it stood now, Zion's season has just been that impressive and the Pels are mediocre but not bottom of the barrel sucky, they are going to win the equivalent of 38 games or so

Zion's numbers are good but they are not better than Bookers last year and the year before when he missed out because "we were a losing team".

Anyway, I just feel for book because it's a legacy thing. It's all well and good for him to prove people wrong but at the end of his career, 3 time all star doesnt have the same ring as 8-10 time all star. And you know people who make all star teams regularly get preference for getting voted back year on year, so I fear once you fall of the wagon its hard to get back on consistently

Booker was an AS last year, he should've been in over RW, no doubt

HAving said that, Zion's numbers are on pair with Booker's from last year, and def better than the year before, and the Suns were a LOSING team, they won 20 games that year, the Pels are just mediocre, they are on pace to win 38 (if you project to 82 instead of 72) that's not even close to being similar

I feel for Booker too, he is going to end up being selected and nobody cares eventually if you go in as a IR or what not, so don't worry
Fo-Real
General Manager

Post#810 » by Fo-Real » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:10 pm

TouchPassDario wrote:He was going to do that anyway. He did it last night!

WAS PASSING OUT BUSINESS CARDS!!! :lol: :lol:
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,131

Post#811 » by spanishninja » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:12 pm

Fischella wrote:
suns12345 wrote:
Fischella wrote:Trae and Bam are the biggest snubs, including the West, they should have been in over Randle and Vuc

Booker surely will make it in for AD, but to me he didn't cut it as it stood now, Zion's season has just been that impressive and the Pels are mediocre but not bottom of the barrel sucky, they are going to win the equivalent of 38 games or so

Zion's numbers are good but they are not better than Bookers last year and the year before when he missed out because "we were a losing team".

Anyway, I just feel for book because it's a legacy thing. It's all well and good for him to prove people wrong but at the end of his career, 3 time all star doesnt have the same ring as 8-10 time all star. And you know people who make all star teams regularly get preference for getting voted back year on year, so I fear once you fall of the wagon its hard to get back on consistently

Booker was an AS last year, he should've been in over RW, no doubt

HAving said that, Zion's numbers are on pair with Booker's from last year, and def better than the year before, and the Suns were a LOSING team, they won 20 games that year, the Pels are just mediocre, they are on pace to win 38 (if you project to 82 instead of 72) that's not even close to being similar

I feel for Booker too, he is going to end up being selected and nobody cares eventually if you go in as a IR or what not, so don't worry

the **** thing was they blamed the snub on Booker's slow start, but Westbrook was laughably inefficient early last season and still managed to get himself voted in. There's literally an endless barrel of excuses the coaches use to **** Book over.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#812 » by No-Man » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:24 pm

Booker should've made it over Westbrook, nobody is arguing that, but it has little to no impact on what happened this year
Barkley6
Veteran
And1: 2,406

Post#813 » by Barkley6 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:25 pm

Look, Zion is a fine player, but he's extremely one dimensional. All he does is score at the rim, and yes he's elite at that, but by that logic Capela and Drummond should be All-Stars for their elite rebounding. Zion averages SIX rebounds a contest. That's HALF of what Ayton averages and just laughable for an alleged All Star big.

Booker should take the snub personally. He's done everything asked of him. He's scored bunches, he's become a better facilitator, he's improved his defense, he's deferred more to his teammates, he's winning.

The rest of this season needs to be a Devin Booker revenge tour as far as I'm concerned. Every time he gets doubled and scores I want him in the other coaches ear about "oh right, but I'm not an All Star". Make them pay. Go watch the Last Dance and get that Michael Jordan mentality.
TouchPassDario
Pro Prospect
And1: 338

Post#814 » by TouchPassDario » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:51 pm

First Take is laughing at Book omission.

EVERYONE thinks he is an all star expect a couple salty coaches.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,383

Post#815 » by bwgood77 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:20 pm

Kerrsed wrote:
Read on Twitter

She's right that CP3 wasn't one of the best 2 guards this year. She sounds dumb.

Anyway, I think CP3 is slightly more deserving. If it was based on the last week, probably Booker (though CP3s 19 assists were great). And some of those games down the stretch where CP3 was on fire, and the Pelicans comeback led by CP3 where I don't think Book scored in the 4th, CP3 may have been better when it matter the last week or little more.

Simply, I think the team would be better with CP3 and not Booker (still a winning record) than vice versa.

I still think Booker should be in though to replace AD. Probably over Zion though Zion probably has better #s. Worse team but personally I am not sure that should matter if you are balling...but it's still close and Booker has been doing it for longer.

Ultimately they should expand the rosters to 15. They probably want to be consistent with the past. But AD (if healthy), Book, Zion, DeRozan and probably McCollum despite missing time should probably be in...or you could go Conley or Ingram for 15.

East with 15 I think Sabonis. But you also have Trae, Middleton, Butler and Bam...so that would be tougher. But Indy got none, Miami should get one and the last would be Trae or Middleton.
Wilber85
Veteran
And1: 2,421

Post#816 » by Wilber85 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:02 pm

Booker better score over 30 tonight. I am putting $500 on over 25
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,613

Post#817 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:27 pm

Wilber85 wrote:Booker better score over 30 tonight. I am putting $500 on over 25

Put in $25 on over 40. LFG
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,638

Post#818 » by Qwigglez » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:46 pm

Read on Twitter
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,399

Post#819 » by SunsRback4Good » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:47 pm

Phoenix Suns guard Devin Booker will replace Los Angeles Lakers big man Anthony Davis at the All-Star Game on March 7 due to the latter's calf and Achilles injuries, the NBA announced Wednesday.

More to come.

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,399

Post#820 » by SunsRback4Good » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:48 pm

Qwigglez wrote:
Read on Twitter

You always beat me in life. Even in high school stole most of my potential gfs by half a minute. :(

Return to Phoenix Suns