ImageImageImage

Official 2020-21 Season Thread #1: To Beard or not To Beard?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

LeonJordanJr24
Sixth Man
And1: 550

Re: Official 2020-21 Season Thread #1: To Beard or not To Beard? 

Post#441 » by LeonJordanJr24 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:55 pm

Minus Danny Green and Furk for Lowry or rozier type fixes our issues .
sixers4real
Veteran
And1: 1,893

Post#442 » by sixers4real » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:02 am

I really want us to take that #1 seed. It's important this year not because of the HCA, but because IF the Nets and Bucks are #2 and #3 seed, there is a legit chance of making the Finals, because we will have have to beat only one of them in the ECF. Of course Nets are favourites to get to the NBA Finals, but we are big, we can create problems for them. And we have a better coach (finally).

And if we will get #1 seed, I want Boston in the semis. They had our number recently, I want revenge badly.
Sixers fan since 2001. From Russia.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,339

Post#443 » by 76ciology » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:47 am

sixers4real wrote:I really want us to take that #1 seed. It's important this year not because of the HCA, but because IF the Nets and Bucks are #2 and #3 seed, there is a legit chance of making the Finals, because we will have have to beat only one of them in the ECF. Of course Nets are favourites to get to the NBA Finals, but we are big, we can create problems for them. And we have a better coach (finally).

And if we will get #1 seed, I want Boston in the semis. They had our number recently, I want revenge badly.

Agree.

We also need #1 so we can do some load management on Embiid in the playoffs. That and we really play a lot better on home games
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,649

Post#444 » by stormi » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:18 pm

Would be personally happy to see Randle, Lavine and Sabonis make it of these names. I think it's between Ben and Tobi for us, prefer Ben but happy with Tobi getting in there also for acknowledgement for his great season to this point.

Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 9,784

Post#445 » by Murray_17 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:40 pm

i said it in the other thread but now that the Lakers waived Quinn Cook, wouldn't be bad to take the guy for the minimum or a 10 day contract?

We need a spot shooter from the bench and at this rate i would take whatever we can get
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,665

Post#446 » by Negrodamus » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:26 pm

I'm not sure if he's going to look for a big payday after this season, but I'd probably be more interested in DeMar DeRozan than Lowry at this point. Nearly 7 FTA per game would make our offense deadly in the half court if Ben continues his aggressiveness.

I think he's a player that we'd have to depart with a first or Maxey to acquire, which would be a tough sell for people on here since he's expiring this offseason.
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 9,784

Post#447 » by Murray_17 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:45 pm

Negrodamus wrote:I'm not sure if he's going to look for a big payday after this season, but I'd probably be more interested in DeMar DeRozan than Lowry at this point. Nearly 7 FTA per game would make our offense deadly in the half court if Ben continues his aggressiveness.

I think he's a player that we'd have to depart with a first or Maxey to acquire, which would be a tough sell for people on here since he's expiring this offseason.

Having Ben, Tobias, Joel AND DeRozan at the same time will totally clog the lane, i don't see how it works unless DeMar is willing to start shooting from distance again.

And while he's a great player, wasting our chips on him left us with the same problems we have now
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#448 » by Negrodamus » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:11 pm

Murray_17 wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:I'm not sure if he's going to look for a big payday after this season, but I'd probably be more interested in DeMar DeRozan than Lowry at this point. Nearly 7 FTA per game would make our offense deadly in the half court if Ben continues his aggressiveness.

Having Ben, Tobias, Joel AND DeRozan at the same time will totally clog the lane, i don't see how it works unless DeMar is willing to start shooting from distance again.

And while he's a great player, wasting our chips on him left us with the same problems we have now

The problem with our team is that we only have Ben, Joel, and Tobias to spread out to the second unit. And while Tobias has been great for us, he's not quite a creator on offense. Ben technically isn't much either in the half court.

As far as spacing the court, I don't think it really matters that much. The bigger issue is not getting more out of the bench. Curry and Green don't really help in that regard either. We are banking on one of them to produce offensively every night in order to pull out the win. I'd rather bank on DeRozan.

I think DeRozan makes us a very interesting team going into the playoffs. I think he is worth using some assets. If you watch Maxey, Tobias, even Shake at times, the skill of drawing/selling fouls is very hard in the NBA. DeRozan, Embiid, and, recently, Simmons know how to get those calls. That would completely change the offensive dynamic of this team.

I'm not sure what the asking price will be, but I'd at least give them a call.
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,261

Post#449 » by DCasey91 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:31 pm

Our second unit without Milton shooting well is basically what can Ben do against a good team lol. He plays with three offensive liabilities at the one time on a number of occasions. Best strategy would be to Ben Ball. Do whatever you want basically, he’s been doing that as of late. Did it last year too.

I like Derozan too just not with Harris/Embiid/Simmons

But I’d happily take him because he has an expiring

Harris and Maxey for Derozan + Mills and a 1st? Haha man could dream!

Gives us a whole different number of variations for the second unit. Derozan to score, or Ben/Mills run and gun.
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Post#450 » by spikeslovechild » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:30 pm

Still can't believe Houston took that garbage offer
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,261

Post#451 » by DCasey91 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:34 pm

[streamable][/streamable]
spikeslovechild wrote:Still can't believe Houston took that garbage offer

How moronic was it! Lol the owner doubled down and was leveraging things. Then he ends up with a worst package and the best player on that package ain’t gonna resign. This is the reality that owners/gm’s/management of any team sport can destroy the franchise for a period of time and it had nothing to do with players/performances at all.
Won’t be the first and certainly won’t be the last it happens to.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,056

Post#452 » by sixers hoops » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:25 am

DCasey91 wrote:[streamable][/streamable]

How moronic was it! Lol the owner doubled down and was leveraging things. Then he ends up with a worst package and the best player on that package ain’t gonna resign. This is the reality that owners/gm’s/management of any team sport can destroy the franchise for a period of time and it had nothing to do with players/performances at all.

In reality, Houston didn't really care about acquiring any specific player. They just wanted picks. The Nets are an older team so those picks could at some point be gold. However, those picks can be horrible.

Pick swap 2021- won’t be exercised.
Milwaukee 2022 first- likely late first.
Nets 2022 first- likely late first.
Pick swap 2023- very likely won’t be exercised.
Nets 2024 first- likely bottom half of first round.
Pick swap 2025- could be valuable, but not a pick, only opportunity to move up.
Nets 2026 first- could be a good pick.
Pick swap 2027- nothing to believe Nets will be a top team at this point. Swap could have value.

Some lotto tickets in there, but the Nets should be pretty good for three or four years, so Houston very realistically could get one lottery pick. And maybe in 25 or 27 swap up to the lottery.

Tough package to evaluate since it relies heavily on Nets falling apart at some point.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,056

Post#453 » by sixers hoops » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:30 am

Negrodamus wrote:
Murray_17 wrote:

The problem with our team is that we only have Ben, Joel, and Tobias to spread out to the second unit. And while Tobias has been great for us, he's not quite a creator on offense. Ben technically isn't much either in the half court.

As far as spacing the court, I don't think it really matters that much. The bigger issue is not getting more out of the bench. Curry and Green don't really help in that regard either. We are banking on one of them to produce offensively every night in order to pull out the win. I'd rather bank on DeRozan.

I think DeRozan makes us a very interesting team going into the playoffs. I think he is worth using some assets. If you watch Maxey, Tobias, even Shake at times, the skill of drawing/selling fouls is very hard in the NBA. DeRozan, Embiid, and, recently, Simmons know how to get those calls. That would completely change the offensive dynamic of this team.

I’d have interest but Ben and Embiid are already in each other’s way, and while Harris has been playing more of a stretch role, he still loves to get to the hoop. I wonder if DeRozan could be effective in minutes with those guys. Good value pickup tho.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,339

Post#454 » by 76ciology » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:28 am

DCasey91 wrote:[streamable][/streamable]

He trades harden to us, he’s certain that he’s going to die on that sword.

He trades harden to brooklyn, he can pass the blame to the GM who makes the wrong draft selection or atleast have a chance to survive the harden crisis by having atleast one Jokic or Giannis type draft year.

Honestly, he’s not missing much with both (both aren’t needle movers for a title) that i think if you spread it for a long duration (by taking the Nets pick), people will forget about it.

In a spectrum of winning a title and not winning one. Fans are at the end of that spectrum where they want to win a title. For owners, it differs. A guy like Fertita is just concerned with how he’s going to look from the outside world (like Cuban?). Some just wants to play it safe like one of the owners of a perennial mediocre team. And that kind of make me appreciate Josh Harris. He’s not perfect, but he runs this team more like a fan.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#455 » by Negrodamus » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:04 pm

sixers hoops wrote:
Spoiler:
Negrodamus wrote:
Murray_17 wrote:

I’d have interest but Ben and Embiid are already in each other’s way, and while Harris has been playing more of a stretch role, he still loves to get to the hoop. I wonder if DeRozan could be effective in minutes with those guys. Good value pickup tho.

I think I agreed with this more last year and probably the early parts of this year. Feel like Embiid, aside from last night, has figured out efficient ISO scoring and accurate skip passing, which has somewhat helped with the half court offense.

In my opinion, the real pain point is not having someone who can create offense when the shot clock is expiring. It feels like the hot potato lands in Danny Green's hand and he has been asked to do stuff that's completely out of his wheel house. Additionally, our best PnR option is...? DeRozan was, at one point, the 2nd most efficient PnR ballhandler in the NBA. He and Embiid (between them: 18.5 FTA a game) would be lethal in the half court. Even he and Ben running the PnR would create some stress on the defense.

I firmly feel like he's a guy to watch as a Morey darkhorse trade. He's considered a great locker room guy who has been a leader in Tor and SA and has backed it up with all star numbers. At 31 years old, he still has a few years left in the tank and wants to win now. I'd definitely take the chance on him. It doesn't feel realistic that he's going to pull a Kawhi and want to head home to the Lakers or Clippers at the end of the year. Could be wrong.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,649

Post#456 » by stormi » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:12 pm

Updated calendar alert.

https://www.nba.com/sixers/schedule

Disgustingly condensed. 7 games in 10 days between March 11th - 21st...

edit:

Read on Twitter
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,748

Post#457 » by Stanford » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:57 pm

That road trip looks like 1-4. Yikes. In fact, we might only have 3 or 4 more road wins this season.
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,039

Post#458 » by Crives » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:58 pm

Deleted
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 10,789

Post#459 » by eyeatoma » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:58 pm

stormi wrote:Updated calendar alert.

Disgustingly condensed. 7 games in 10 days between March 10th - 21st...

edit:

Read on Twitter

Lol if we don't lose it before all-star break. Bye bye #1 seed. I would not be surprised if the league saw Embiid leading the MVP race, and said you know what, "fawk that" let's make this a super condense schedule so he has to rest, and lose any chance of getting that MVP.
zaz102
Sixth Man
And1: 803

Post#460 » by zaz102 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:16 pm

eyeatoma wrote:
stormi wrote:Updated calendar alert.

Disgustingly condensed. 7 games in 10 days between March 10th - 21st...

edit:

Read on Twitter

Lol if we don't lose it before all-star break. Bye bye #1 seed. I would not be surprised if the league saw Embiid leading the MVP race, and said you know what, "fawk that" let's make this a super condense schedule so he has to rest, and lose any chance of getting that MVP.
Are the schedules condensed based on how many games the team missed? I would like to compare the schedule of the team that missed most games.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers