Mike Conley Wants To Remain With Jazz Long-Term

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Mike Conley Wants To Remain With Jazz Long-Term 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:28 pm

Mike Conley will be a free agent this summer but signs are pointing toward him re-signing with the Utah Jazz.

“Utah’s got me,” Conley said. “I was talking about this to my wife recently. We love it here. I don’t think I can go anywhere else that plays the way we play. We’ll see this offseason, because when that time comes there will definitely be a lot of chatter.

“But, from where I sit right now, this team is so unique, in the way we play. And everyone has bought into what we want to do on both ends of the floor.”

The Jazz traded for Conley before the 19-20 season, but he has found his stride in Year 2.

Via Tony Jones/The Athletic

Mr__detective
Ballboy
And1: 0

Re: Mike Conley Wants To Remain With Jazz Long-Term 

Post#2 » by Mr__detective » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:01 pm

Long-term??? He's 33
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 516

Post#3 » by TheCage4 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:22 pm

Mr__detective wrote:Long-term??? He's 33

You stole my post :lol:
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
Theo Ratliff
Pro Prospect
And1: 718

Post#4 » by Theo Ratliff » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:55 pm

But he's still playing at a high level. He's got another few years left in him. Which would be long term.
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#5 » by br7knicks » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:51 am

Theo Ratliff wrote:

But he's still playing at a high level. He's got another few years left in him. Which would be long term.

correct. high IQ and defense (jason kidd) lasts a lot longer than someone who relies on athleticism (westbrook)
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 318

Post#6 » by TimeisIllmatic » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:18 am

3 year deal at the most. Anything longer than that wouldn't be wise IMO.
dan-man
Sixth Man
And1: 364

Post#7 » by dan-man » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:38 pm

He's an old 30's type of NBA player.
puja21
Bench Warmer
And1: 187

Post#8 » by puja21 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:06 pm

br7knicks wrote:
Theo Ratliff wrote:

correct. high IQ and defense (jason kidd) lasts a lot longer than someone who relies on athleticism (westbrook)

To be fair, Kidd is also a HOF/unicorn/all-world player in near all aspects, including size/speed (even added a long jumper in his mid 30s).

Plenty of guys have been "high IQ and/or defense" and still fallen off a productivity cliff at Conley's age

e.g.
Mo Cheeks, Sid Moncrief, Eddie Jones, John Starks, Andre Miller etc...

For reference Miller's numbers after age 34 were:
24 starts in 350 games
20 mpg 6.8 ppg, 4.6 ast
26% on 3s
<2 FTA per game

I'm sure he'll hang around the league (has taken more than 42% of his FGA from 3 overt the past 5 seasons)

It's a big ask for Conley to contribute near how Kidd, Nash, or CP3 did/are
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,962

Post#9 » by Cassius » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:10 pm

It's going to be really interesting to see what happens with his contract vs. Lowry's. Those guys' careers are so linked and would look a lot more similar if they played in the same conference through their prime.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#10 » by br7knicks » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:17 pm

puja21 wrote:
br7knicks wrote:
Theo Ratliff wrote:But he's still playing at a high level. He's got another few years left in him. Which would be long term.

To be fair, Kidd is also a HOF/unicorn/all-world player in near all aspects, including size/speed (even added a long jumper in his mid 30s).

Plenty of guys have been "high IQ and/or defense" and still fallen off a productivity cliff at Conley's age

e.g.
Mo Cheeks, Sid Moncrief, Eddie Jones, John Starks, Andre Miller etc...

For reference Miller's numbers after age 34 were:
24 starts in 350 games
20 mpg 6.8 ppg, 4.6 ast
26% on 3s
<2 FTA per game

I'm sure he'll hang around the league (has taken more than 42% of his FGA from 3 overt the past 5 seasons)

It's a big ask for Conley to contribute near how Kidd, Nash, or CP3 did/are

yes, conley and kidd are not on the same level. i was just using kidd as an example.

my point was that guys who put defense and IQ first, versus those who rely on athleticism, are far more likely to last longer. mainly those who rely on athleticism but don't alter their game as their bodies starts to wear down.

yes, there are high IQ and defensive guys who don't last as long, but that's mostly due to major injuries rather than their game just not translating as they get older.

andre miller's production dropped, but he also accepted a different role. everyone's game goes down a bit as they get older (Lebron being an outlier and freak of nature). but andre miller also continued to play in the NBA, for a long time after his decreased role, due to his high IQ and ability to adapt and change his game.

that was my point
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/

Return to Wiretap Discussion