Who will be the steal of the 2020 draft?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,488

Re: Who will be the steal of the 2020 draft? 

Post#41 » by Patsfan1081 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:34 pm

amcoolio wrote:Vernon Carey was supposed to be a top 5 pick before the college season, dropped 30 pounds after the season to get faster and he’s ripped, and has a shot to be the Hornets starting center...just saying

So wasn’t Charles Bassey. :noway:
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,162

Post#42 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:49 pm

I can see Oturu earning a starting spot on the Clippers
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,216

Post#43 » by amcoolio » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:47 am

Patsfan1081 wrote:
amcoolio wrote:Vernon Carey was supposed to be a top 5 pick before the college season, dropped 30 pounds after the season to get faster and he’s ripped, and has a shot to be the Hornets starting center...just saying

So wasn’t Charles Bassey. :noway:

what
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#44 » by No-Man » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:02 am

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:I can see Oturu earning a starting spot on the Clippers

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,995

Post#45 » by Nazrmohamed » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:08 pm

Patsfan1081 wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
SNPA wrote:Agreed. I don’t get it. The teams must know something we don’t? How does that guy fall to 58? Makes no sense without there being more to the story.

I was listening to his interviews prior to the draft and I wasn't really impressed. Doesn't come off as a guy who has his stuff together or particularly smart, but I was also thinking there have been successful guys in the NBA with that kind of profile. He's a defender and if anything I think this is only going to push his defense to another level. With his frame and ability, I can't see him not having success.

Didn’t he have the worst cone drill out of everyone? I mean you couldn’t even beat out Azibuke?

How is that possible from the game footage we saw? Oh well.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#46 » by doordoor123 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:38 pm

Nazrmohamed wrote:
Patsfan1081 wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
I was listening to his interviews prior to the draft and I wasn't really impressed. Doesn't come off as a guy who has his stuff together or particularly smart, but I was also thinking there have been successful guys in the NBA with that kind of profile. He's a defender and if anything I think this is only going to push his defense to another level. With his frame and ability, I can't see him not having success.

Didn’t he have the worst cone drill out of everyone? I mean you couldn’t even beat out Azibuke?

How is that possible from the game footage we saw? Oh well.

Maybe he wasn’t playing basketball the entire time off and gained bad weight? That seems like a possibility and would make sense with him falling so much. Maybe he didn’t seem dedicated to basketball? I don’t know, just speculation. It’s just so weird how far he went.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#47 » by Stillwater » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:54 pm

Patsfan1081 wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
SNPA wrote:Agreed. I don’t get it. The teams must know something we don’t? How does that guy fall to 58? Makes no sense without there being more to the story.

probably hurt or something way too mobile for that to be the case long term
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,244

Post#48 » by Catchall » Tue Dec 1, 2020 12:53 am

Catchall wrote:The Jazz think Udoka Azubuike is the next Shaq, so...

Jazz front office had media availability today. They said that their pre-draft analytics had Udoka as the #2 prospect in the draft, in part due to Udoka's 75% FG% and KU's defensive rating of 80 when Udoka was on the floor. That sounds like an exaggeration, but the Jazz's scouting staff also had rated Udoka as a top-10 prospect in the draft overall.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
No-Man
RealGM

Post#49 » by No-Man » Tue Dec 1, 2020 12:37 pm

Catchall wrote:

Jazz front office had media availability today. They said that their pre-draft analytics had Udoka as the #2 prospect in the draft, in part due to Udoka's 75% FG% and KU's defensive rating of 80 when Udoka was on the floor. That sounds like an exaggeration, but the Jazz's scouting staff also had rated Udoka as a top-10 prospect in the draft overall.

yeah they are wasting their money paying those folks, ridiculous :lol:

That's just so dumb
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,244

Post#50 » by Catchall » Tue Dec 1, 2020 8:10 pm

Fischella wrote:
Catchall wrote:

That's just so dumb

I get where they're coming from though. Udoka's per-36 stats were 18/14/3.4bl, and his advanced stats at age 20/21 were as good as Joel Embiid's. The question is how much of that will translate to the NBA where he's not always the biggest, strongest and most athletic player on the floor.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
No-Man
RealGM

Post#51 » by No-Man » Tue Dec 1, 2020 8:58 pm

Azubuike was 20/21 in 2016/17
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#52 » by LloydFree » Tue Dec 1, 2020 9:08 pm

#58. Paul Reed
#35. Xavier Tillman

Both Reed and Tillman were better than at least 5 of the bigs who were drafted in the 1st round. Both should have been picked no lower than 25.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#53 » by nolang1 » Wed Dec 2, 2020 1:32 pm

Catchall wrote:
Fischella wrote:
Catchall wrote:

That's just so dumb

I get where they're coming from though. Udoka's per-36 stats were 18/14/3.4bl, and his advanced stats at age 20/21 were as good as Joel Embiid's. The question is how much of that will translate to the NBA where he's not always the biggest, strongest and most athletic player on the floor.

Right, you can’t shoot the messenger when it comes to stats and the only argument against it is ‘he’s big and strong and African so he’s actually 3 years older.’
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,815

Post#54 » by Klomp » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:49 pm

Klomp wrote:Jaden McDaniels landed in a spot where he could be viewed as an absolute steal a couple years down the road.

Hi guys!
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,183

Post#55 » by clyde21 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:18 pm

still surprising to me that Diakite went undrafted (unless it's something that he specifically wanted), he's been killing it in the G League, we'll see how it translates to the NBA but he always had the makings of a good 3rd or 4th big off the bench.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,213

Post#56 » by EvanZ » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:03 am

clyde21 wrote:still surprising to me that Diakite went undrafted (unless it's something that he specifically wanted), he's been killing it in the G League, we'll see how it translates to the NBA but he always had the makings of a good 3rd or 4th big off the bench.

Why would you ever draft a good 3rd or 4th bench big?
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#57 » by clyde21 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:20 am

EvanZ wrote:
clyde21 wrote:still surprising to me that Diakite went undrafted (unless it's something that he specifically wanted), he's been killing it in the G League, we'll see how it translates to the NBA but he always had the makings of a good 3rd or 4th big off the bench.

because it's better than drafting **** players?
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,213

Post#58 » by EvanZ » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:31 am

clyde21 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

Uh no it *is* the definition of drafting *** players. It's also just a dumb use of draft capital.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#59 » by clyde21 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:35 am

EvanZ wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

Uh no it *is* the definition of drafting *** players. It's also just a dumb use of draft capital.

i have no idea what any of this means but you do you.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#60 » by Stillwater » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:43 pm

doordoor123 wrote:Its going to be Aaron Nesmith. He's going to be so good IMO. I think he's going to be a perennial all-star. The Celtics ran away with another steal of the draft.

He kind of stayed hidden in this draft, kind of like Donovan Mitchell when he was drafted. I really think he's going to be amazing. No one at his age has ever had the kind of skilled shooting as him. He also has great size, the potential on defense, and he wants to be great. I have so much confidence in this guy and the fact the Celtics took him made me believe in him more.

Care to change your opinion yet because he has been awful trying to fill smarts shoes defensively.
And his shooting as expected has not transferred not even a little bit. Hes just looks like a shooter who struggles to be shot maker against length.
I like his potential but he was never klay 2.0
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING

Return to NBA Draft