ImageImageImage

Ryan Saunders Has Been Fired - Chris Finch Hired!!!

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Re: Ryan Saunders Has Been Fired - Chris Finch Hired!!! 

Post#301 » by Dewey » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:44 pm

Klomp wrote:Rachel Nichols, take note:

Read on Twitter

Whatever happened to “the best man for the job” objective? We’ve beaten he Ryan Saunders to death ... but now, apparently Finch is not the best man for the job either - because he isn’t - - - - - .

Can’t make this stuff up ... it really sends some shade across the bow.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
moonpie
General Manager
And1: 2,684

Post#302 » by moonpie » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:31 pm

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1364260756418686981%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.redditmedia.com%2Fmediaembed%2Flqnlwu%3Fresponsive%3Dtrueis_nightmode%3Dfalse
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,230

Post#303 » by Calinks » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:48 pm

"(Analytics) is a guide, not a God...What makes a successful basketball team win and what makes our team win, where is the overlay? What can we mimic? What can we do? We still have to coach these things into existence... we can't just say oh we want to shoot threes and we want to get to the rim and take layups because you will go out there and play with no purpose. It's all about the purpose you put behind it and that's why coaching still matters." -Minnesota Timberwolves Coach Chirs Finch
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,427

Post#304 » by shrink » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:06 am

Sugarless wrote:
Klomp wrote:Rachel Nichols, take note:

Read on Twitter

The dumbest thing about Rachel Nichols' (and whoever wrote it for her) segment on the Wolves' coaching decision is that they didn't even realize that Gersson Rosas is a minority POBO, like he's not going to value minority coaches the way he does male white ones.

Our brain trust is Rosas, Gupta, Vanterpool, and Priglioni.

Yeah, the Wolves are racist.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
shrink
RealGM

Post#305 » by shrink » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:11 am

Calinks wrote:I have heard outside of basketball, Glen can be a viscous douche in the business world. Super impatient and firing people really fast, etc. I think he's kind of similar in the douche area with the wolves. He has some really bad ways of letting people go. There is for a sure a track record of crappy firings. He doesn't have a lot of tact there or doesn't care to show it. Like "You a bum, you will no longer steal my money, be gone."

That’s quite a claim, considering we have seen the opposite from him with the Timberwolves over 30 years. If he has a problem with firing, it’s that he’s TOO patient, and doesn’t do it soon enough, because he’s too damn loyal. Moreover, he’s turned down offers to sell the franchise because he’s loyal to Minnesota and doesn’t want it moved.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#306 » by Merc_Porto » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:21 am

Read on Twitter
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#307 » by Calinks » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:24 am

shrink wrote:
Calinks wrote:I have heard outside of basketball, Glen can be a viscous douche in the business world. Super impatient and firing people really fast, etc. I think he's kind of similar in the douche area with the wolves. He has some really bad ways of letting people go. There is for a sure a track record of crappy firings. He doesn't have a lot of tact there or doesn't care to show it. Like "You a bum, you will no longer steal my money, be gone."

That’s quite a claim, considering we have seen the opposite from him with the Timberwolves over 30 years. If he has a problem with firing, it’s that he’s TOO patient, and doesn’t do it soon enough, because he’s too damn loyal. Moreover, he’s turned down offers to sell the franchise because he’s loyal to Minnesota and doesn’t want it moved.

Yea that's what's interesting about, the trigger finger is the opposite is how he has been with the wolves. Apparently, in his nonbasketball business affairs, he is ruthless and has very little tolerance for poor performances. He hasn't been that way with the wolves but I could him actually firing people lining up with that. Like he's patient, usually here but when you are done, he fires you out like a canon.

Saunders possibly getting a bomb dropped on him after losing to Thibs. Smitch not getting a chance to interview or anything after he came through in an emergency situation. Apparently, it was a nasty situation with Thibs. Taylor eyeballing Casey and breathing down his neck while the team was .500. I see a pattern of possibly mishandled departures. Not saying the firings were wrong but I don't know if Glen knows how to do it in a way that doesn't come of as smooth as it could.
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 837

Post#308 » by UnFadeable21 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:29 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
shrink
RealGM

Post#309 » by shrink » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:53 am

Calinks wrote:
shrink wrote:

Yea that's what's interesting about, the trigger finger is the opposite is how he has been with the wolves. Apparently, in his nonbasketball business affairs, he is ruthless and has very little tolerance for poor performances. He hasn't been that way with the wolves but I could him actually firing people lining up with that. Like he's patient, usually here but when you are done, he fires you out like a canon.

Saunders possibly getting a bomb dropped on him after losing to Thibs. Smitch not getting a chance to interview or anything after he came through in an emergency situation. Apparently, it was a nasty situation with Thibs. Taylor eyeballing Casey and breathing down his neck while the team was .500. I see a pattern of possibly mishandled departures. Not saying the firings were wrong but I don't know if Glen knows how to do it in a way that doesn't come of as smooth as it could.

I haven’t read everything written about the firing, but I listened to Dane Moore’s two pods since then. Obviously, this was in the works before the loss to the Knicks - you can’t have another coach who already has a job, negotiating a multi-year contract in a couple hours. According to Dane, or someone he quoted, Taylor was frustrated Rosas that this couldn’t be done by noon before the game, so that Saunders didn’t have to be on that plane.

I feel like the struggles the Wolves had had, and Taylor’s wealth, often cause him to be misrepresented. I’m not saying he’s a good owner, I’m saying that people make some pretty wild accusations about him because of their frustrations.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Post#310 » by KGdaBom » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:37 pm

Klomp wrote:
winforlose wrote:I have a strong suspicion it won’t even take a year. This hiring smells bad from the jump. He seems like another assistant coach with no real head coaching experience who relied on relationships rather than accomplishments to get ahead. That said, only time will tell if Finch actually has leadership potential. Ryan clearly could not motivate the team and his schemes were middle school level. The bar for being better than Ryan is so low that both Sam Mitchell and Thibs could accidentally stumble over it. The bar for being an actual NBA coach with a respectable record and the support of your team is much higher.

It's obvious you have no clue who Chris Finch is or what his history is. I have been one of the last few Saunders supporters here, but even I know it's obvious Finch has a much better head coaching resume than Saunders at this point. He has been a head coach at four stops in Europe (three very successful) and in the G League, plus the British men's national team. He also has been an assistant for four NBA teams and the associate head coach at three of the stops.

Klomp well stated. Finch had the credentials for a HC job in the NBA that Saunders did not.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,830

Post#311 » by Klomp » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:15 pm

KGdaBom wrote:Klomp well stated. Finch had the credentials for a HC job in the NBA that Saunders did not.

Oh good, you're not dead.....
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#312 » by shangrila » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:41 pm

Calinks wrote:
shrink wrote:

Probably different mindsets. These teams are less businesses and more toys to billionaires. And hell, maybe he gets tired of that stuff? So with the Wolves he wants to be a more decent human being when it comes to his staff but the pendulum swings too far in that direction?
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#313 » by Calinks » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:46 pm

Who knows and I'm not saying he was like this horrible person, just that he has very little patience and will can people really fast. Ruthless but that doesn't mean he's like some jackass who berates people or anything. Also this is just what I heard second hand from someone who talked to my brother, I wasn't involved in the convo. The guy was someone my brother worked with and that guy had worked for Glen for a some time.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,456

Post#314 » by Foye » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:30 pm

mercgold3 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Still doesn't seem to work sending you private messages even after you send me.

Maybe you have clicked no in the preferences:--> board preferences: Allow users to send you private messages?
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#315 » by Merc_Porto » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:53 pm

Foye wrote:Maybe you have clicked no in the preferences:--> board preferences: Allow users to send you private messages?

Fixed, thank you.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,830

Post#316 » by Klomp » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:18 pm

So I was looking back through things, and Finch was once thought to be the favorite to land the Sixers job that eventually went to Brett Brown. Finch was 43 at the time.

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves