ImageImageImage

What is Jayson Tatum's ceiling?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Floody100
Analyst
And1: 4,990

Re: What is Jayson Tatum's ceiling? 

Post#1141 » by Floody100 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:45 am

Reverted back his sophomore ways.
darylbe
Rookie
And1: 554

Post#1142 » by darylbe » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:17 am

Floody100 wrote:Reverted back his sophomore ways.

The effects of covid, gotta be.

But he's not exempt from the scrutiny. Just like smart- if you're shooting 1 for 14, you shouldn't continue shooting. Call it a day and get with it.

Stevens needs to sit this kid. Maybe Dorothy can play back to backs for a change so this kid can rest
nic4747
Pro Prospect
And1: 523

Post#1143 » by nic4747 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:42 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:Tatum has been off. His body language is garbage and he loafs on defense way too much. He looks like a guy resigned to his fate and about to demand a trade. He's completely over it

100% agree. He has so much raw talent but doesn't always play with much effort. He often settles for questionable mid-range jumpers, but because he has so much talent, those shots still go in at a decent clip. Not sure if it's COVID related or a mental issue but he's playing way below what he's capable of.
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,858

Post#1144 » by 24istheLAW » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:44 am

Vampirate wrote:I'm gonna be honest, if FVV was 6-8 or whatever Tatum's actual height is, he'd probably be Jason Tatum.

This isn't an insult btw, if FVV was 6 inches taller he'd be daaaaaaamn good.

*prepares for the incoming Celtic attack*

This is true about basically every NBA player.

if FVV were 6 inches taller? He'd be a 6'7" PG (Jason Kidd was 6'4") who shoots close to .400 off the bounce, with a lightning quick release. And with the added size and his PG handle, he'd be an excellent slasher. In other words... he'd be an MVP candidate.

NBA players overwhelmingly scatter around a relationship between length and quickness/skill. Longer players are less quick and less skilled. Shorter players are quicker and more skilled.

Assuming their arms scale in proportion to the height gain... I'd say EVERY starter-level player in the NBA would be an All-Star if they were ~3 inches taller without sacrificing skill or quickness. I'd say any NBA player period would be an MVP candidate if they were 6 inches taller. 6'9" Tristan Thompson is a beast on the boards... who is stopping 7'3" Tristan Thompson from averaging 25-15 inside?
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 10,942

Post#1145 » by Fierce1 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:03 am

What Jayson Tatum does in the playoffs is what matters.

Maybe he's just bored.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#1146 » by Feed Your Head » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:52 pm

Like I said in the gamethread the other day, his play is clearly as a result of post covid issues. Now that doesn’t excuse him from holding onto the ball too much, or getting some tunnel vision, etc.

This is a guy who has played hard as hell on basically every possession since he’s stepped on an nba court, on both sides of the ball. What’s more likely, he suddenly decided to stop hustling, or that he’s dealing with the same post covid symptoms that millions have? He’s having the worst shooting month of his career, doesn’t seem like a coincidence.

Dude has NO legs, you saw the missed dunk the other night, you see him clearly gassed in the 4th quarters of games. I actually think it’s why he’s cut down so much on his off the dribble threes, hard to consistently take those when you have no legs. I selfishly wish he’d sit out the all star game, but obviously understand why he wants to play, especially now that he’s starting.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,908

Post#1147 » by Parliament10 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:31 pm

The Comedian wrote:Like I said in the gamethread the other day, his play is clearly as a result of post covid issues. Now that doesn’t excuse him from holding onto the ball too much, or getting some tunnel vision, etc.

This is a guy who has played hard as hell on basically every possession since he’s stepped on an nba court, on both sides of the ball. What’s more likely, he suddenly decided to stop hustling, or that he’s dealing with the same post covid symptoms that millions have? He’s having the worst shooting month of his career, doesn’t seem like a coincidence.

Dude has NO legs, you saw the missed dunk the other night, you see him clearly gassed in the 4th quarters of games. I actually think it’s why he’s cut down so much on his off the dribble threes, hard to consistently take those when you have no legs. I selfishly wish he’d sit out the all star game, but obviously understand why he wants to play, especially now that he’s starting.

Read on Twitter

Both Tatum & Brown are gassed. They need the time off.
Stevens was talking about keeping players under 30 mins.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,687

Post#1148 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Mar 3, 2021 2:56 pm

Read on Twitter
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#1149 » by Feed Your Head » Wed Mar 3, 2021 3:08 pm

Jaylen is just the best.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,687

Post#1150 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Mar 3, 2021 9:41 pm

Life is hard for Tatum. This is on top of asking him to be a playmaker with Smart out. Look at Lebron and Tobias Harris chill on defense. Lebron has AD, KCP, and Markieff? Harris has Thybulle and Simmons.

Read on Twitter

Why I want a Winslow type. Semi only looks the part of a solid defender. Is Barnes a good defender?
darylbe
Rookie
And1: 554

Post#1151 » by darylbe » Thu Mar 4, 2021 2:56 am

Maybe he should get healthy and get his focus back and take a break from making potato chip flavors.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,491

Post#1152 » by playa-hater » Thu Mar 4, 2021 5:31 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:Life is hard for Tatum. This is on top of asking him to be a playmaker with Smart out. Look at Lebron and Tobias Harris chill on defense. Lebron has AD, KCP, and Markieff? Harris has Thybulle and Simmons.

Read on Twitter

Why I want a Winslow type. Semi only looks the part of a solid defender. Is Barnes a good defender?

One reason I still give Tatum respect when he is Off on his offense. A true 2 way player. One day I hope/expect he will end up better than Kawhi overall.

Semi is a decent straight up man defender but doesn't appear to be good in a team defender role with switching or plying the passing lanes. I can't remember him anticipating and stealing passes at all.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
grantlongforpresident
Assistant Coach
And1: 124

Post#1153 » by grantlongforpresident » Thu Mar 4, 2021 5:35 am

darylbe wrote:Maybe he should get healthy and get his focus back and take a break from making potato chip flavors.

Haha. I don’t mind that he is pursuing endorsements.

My concern is that he doesn’t seem to make guys around him better and at times his effort/intensity is suspect.

He still adds value since he’s such a great individual talent but I have higher expectations.
exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 11,019

Post#1154 » by exculpatory » Fri Mar 5, 2021 3:06 pm

I also posted this in 2 other quite relevant threads - the Covid thread & the Injury thread.

Reference PACS in JT:

I am sure he was thoroughly tested (as in this publication) before being allowed to return to play (RTP).

This is encouraging - except for the 5 professional athletes who manifested myocarditis & were therefore not allowed to RTP.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamacardiology/fullarticle/2777308?&utm_source=BulletinHealthCare&utm_medium=email&utm_term=030521&utm_content=NON-MEMBER&utm_campaign=article_alert-morning_rounds_daily&utm_uid=&utm_effort=
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,537

Post#1155 » by bisme37 » Fri Mar 5, 2021 4:40 pm

Putting his highlights vs Toronto here for posterity haha. He "only" had 27 points but hella sick plays in this one. The putback slam, the spilt multiple defenders and slam, the lefty no-glass flip shot, and the nutty dagger at the end.

Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,908

Post#1156 » by Parliament10 » Sun Mar 7, 2021 1:05 am

I see Tatum making the All-NBA team, again this year.
Just not sure which level he'll be at, 1st, 2nd or 3rd.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
LoquaciousLarry
Sophomore
And1: 190

Post#1157 » by LoquaciousLarry » Sun Mar 7, 2021 1:26 am

Tatum is exceptional. Every time I want to critique his game I have to realize his age and who I'd be willing to part ways with for him. Based on his contract extension and that he wants to be a Celtic, I'd be hard pressed to move him for anybody not named Giannis.

I see his ceiling as a slightly lesser offensive version of Durant (Hey man, I'm a Celtics fan what do you expect?), with the ability to make extremely difficult things look relatively easy. When he becomes a true veteran I can see him having a similar impact as Paul Pierce but he does frustrate me mightily at times and I have always valued Jaylen Brown over JT.

I think the Celtics with JT and JB are in the drivers seat to build a dynasty but they have to be aggressive with all of their assets outside of their two stars to supplement them appropriately.

Very similar to what I think VC and TMAC could have been together in Toronto except better.
LoquaciousLarry
Sophomore
And1: 190

Post#1158 » by LoquaciousLarry » Sun Mar 7, 2021 1:29 am

Parliament10 wrote:I see Tatum making the All-NBA team, again this year.
Just not sure which level he'll be at, 1st, 2nd or 3rd.

None of us know until this dreadful Eastern Conference takes shape!
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#1159 » by Feed Your Head » Sun Mar 7, 2021 4:53 pm

His last 15 games he’s averaging 22.5/7/5 with 2.4 turnovers a game. The shooting splits are ugly as can be lol, 39% from the field, 31% from 3. Though he has been getting to the line more, 6.2 times a game, and hitting at 87%.

It was his least efficient month of his career, shot 6% below his career number from the field, and 9% below his career number from three. Yeah he takes a ton of difficult threes, but he did last year too, and at a higher clip, while shooting 40% from deep. Before covid he was at 45% on 8 attempts a game, so part of it was course correction, but covid clearly robbed him of his legs, which has killed him from 3.

I bet the all star break makes a huge difference with him. I think we see him average something like 26/7/5 in the second half, with 45/38ish splits by the end of the season. This is contingent on him getting his legs back, so fingers crossed.
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#1160 » by Feed Your Head » Sun Mar 7, 2021 6:00 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Return to Boston Celtics