ImageImageImage

Booker Discussion, news and highlights

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Where would you rank last year's Booker on the 2004-05 team?

Best player
11%
2nd best
19%
3rd best
36%
4th best
24%
5th best
10%

Total votes: 103

Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,157

Re: Booker Discussion, news and highlights 

Post#841 » by Revived » Mon Mar 1, 2021 8:26 am

Saberestar wrote:
King4Day wrote:
Saberestar wrote:The reporter asked " Why are you playing this season MUCH BETTER (or EXTREMELY BETTER like Book replied) than last season"?

That is a ridiculous question and it is based on a false premise.

The reporter needs to do better his job and know what is really happening and not make false assumptions... so I think Book answered him well enough.

Given the language barrier, it's hard to say what he really meant or if he truly thought Booker was better. The guy is a foreign reporter it seems (or local and is from another country). Booker should have just said 'I'm actually having a worse season' and move on. And this isn't something to think about in hindsight. It's so easy to say that and it's even easier to be nice.

The 'Much better' comment isn't how you'd normally say it. You'd say, 'why do you think you're having a better season than last?'
My guess is, he meant the stretch since he returned from injury.

I am on calls with people from all over the world for work and it's so common where things get misconstrued simply because the person thought the meaning of a word or how it was stated was correct when it wasn't. Maybe that's why I'm having a harder time accepting this.

To me, Books response to a reporter who has been nothing but kind and respectful to him was immature. He took his anger about the loss out on him. And even still, what the guy asked wasn't in any way insulting to Booker. Misunderstood, sure. But you'd think the guy asked a question about his personal life with how he responded.

I think that you are giving too much credit to the reporter.

The reporter wanted to praise Book but he picked the wrong way and Booker did not buy it.

No way someone who usually watches the Suns play would say that Book is playing this season extremely better than last season. You can argue that he is playing about the same or even slightly better in some areas, but other than that would be a false compliment.

The reporter who asked him that question is Christos Tsaltas. He’s an NBA reporter in Greece. Due to time zone challenges, I doubt he regularly watches Suns games. He works late night and goes into the morning watching games and staying after to ask questions.

He’s well respected in the media circle and other players do respect his hustle

Read on Twitter

As I said before, as a Suns fan I like Booker’s acknowledgement of how he played better last season but as a human being, I think Booker could’ve answered the question in a much better way. The reporter himself is obviously not a native speaker and there’s definitely a language barrier which I think perhaps misinterpreted what he meant to actually ask.
TouchPassDario
Pro Prospect
And1: 338

Post#842 » by TouchPassDario » Mon Mar 1, 2021 4:32 pm

Qwigglez wrote:
TouchPassDario wrote:Pretty amazing we are 21-11 with Booker as our 4th most effective player this year.

If he can be more consistent on offense and plugged in a little more on defense we can make the Finals with Booker complementing our Big3.

Yes. This bodes well if Book is our 4th most effective player this year. I'll definitely take it.

Booker’s elite game last night pushed him from 92nd to 72nd (!!!) in win shares.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,366

Post#843 » by bwgood77 » Mon Mar 1, 2021 6:45 pm

Revived wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
King4Day wrote:
Given the language barrier, it's hard to say what he really meant or if he truly thought Booker was better. The guy is a foreign reporter it seems (or local and is from another country). Booker should have just said 'I'm actually having a worse season' and move on. And this isn't something to think about in hindsight. It's so easy to say that and it's even easier to be nice.

The 'Much better' comment isn't how you'd normally say it. You'd say, 'why do you think you're having a better season than last?'
My guess is, he meant the stretch since he returned from injury.

I am on calls with people from all over the world for work and it's so common where things get misconstrued simply because the person thought the meaning of a word or how it was stated was correct when it wasn't. Maybe that's why I'm having a harder time accepting this.

To me, Books response to a reporter who has been nothing but kind and respectful to him was immature. He took his anger about the loss out on him. And even still, what the guy asked wasn't in any way insulting to Booker. Misunderstood, sure. But you'd think the guy asked a question about his personal life with how he responded.

I think that you are giving too much credit to the reporter.

The reporter wanted to praise Book but he picked the wrong way and Booker did not buy it.

No way someone who usually watches the Suns play would say that Book is playing this season extremely better than last season. You can argue that he is playing about the same or even slightly better in some areas, but other than that would be a false compliment.

The reporter who asked him that question is Christos Tsaltas. He’s an NBA reporter in Greece. Due to time zone challenges, I doubt he regularly watches Suns games. He works late night and goes into the morning watching games and staying after to ask questions.

He’s well respected in the media circle and other players do respect his hustle

Read on Twitter

As I said before, as a Suns fan I like Booker’s acknowledgement of how he played better last season but as a human being, I think Booker could’ve answered the question in a much better way. The reporter himself is obviously not a native speaker and there’s definitely a language barrier which I think perhaps misinterpreted what he meant to actually ask.

Yeah, a guy from Greece who appears to cover the entire NBA and if he is doing postgame interviews at 6 am I don't imagine he watched many games...particularly of each team.

But even if just looking at #s, it's clear Book has played worse overall (though not in the last few weeks).
Seattlesun
Head Coach
And1: 359

Post#844 » by Seattlesun » Mon Mar 1, 2021 9:53 pm

Booker wins Player of the Week again!
suns12345
Starter
And1: 1,612

Post#845 » by suns12345 » Mon Mar 1, 2021 9:54 pm

TouchPassDario wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:
TouchPassDario wrote:Pretty amazing we are 21-11 with Booker as our 4th most effective player this year.

If he can be more consistent on offense and plugged in a little more on defense we can make the Finals with Booker complementing our Big3.

Yes. This bodes well if Book is our 4th most effective player this year. I'll definitely take it.

Booker’s elite game last night pushed him from 92nd to 72nd (!!!) in win shares.

Question on win shares... I know you have used them as a criticism of Book relative to our other good players.

But given we have added CP3 and seen improvement from Bridges, Cam etc. doesn't that mean by definition that Bookers win shares will go down as the load is shared around the team?

Or is that not how it works?
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,799

Post#846 » by Saberestar » Mon Mar 1, 2021 10:02 pm

Seattlesun wrote:Booker wins Player of the Week again!

Read on Twitter
TouchPassDario
Pro Prospect

Post#847 » by TouchPassDario » Mon Mar 1, 2021 10:06 pm

suns12345 wrote:
TouchPassDario wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:

Question on win shares... I know you have used them as a criticism of Book relative to our other good players.

But given we have added CP3 and seen improvement from Bridges, Cam etc. doesn't that mean by definition that Bookers win shares will go down as the load is shared around the team?

Or is that not how it works?

No, usually win shares are close to equal to a team’s overall wins. Better teams will have more players with higher WS numbers.
Revived
RealGM

Post#848 » by Revived » Tue Mar 2, 2021 6:40 am

TouchPassDario, you’ll be happy to learn that you aren’t the only person who thinks Booker isn’t a top 3 player on this team. There’s two of you now on this planet!

I think he is at best, the 4th best player on the Sun's.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2058270#p89256780

How awful of Booker to have not been winning games playing alongside the likes of Brandon Knight, Marqeese Chriss, Miles Plummer, Dragan Bender etc :lol:

And yeah he’s only suddenly winning games because of CP3....8-0 in the bubble totally didn’t happen.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,613

Post#849 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Mar 2, 2021 6:48 am

Revived wrote:TouchPassDario, you’ll be happy to learn that you aren’t the only person who thinks Booker isn’t a top 3 player on this team. There’s two of you now on this planet!

How awful of Booker to have not been winning games playing alongside the likes of Brandon Knight, Marqeese Chriss, Miles Plummer, Dragan Bender etc :lol:

And yeah he’s only suddenly winning games because of CP3....8-0 in the bubble totally didn’t happen.

Can't believe this empty stat narrative *STILL* exists. Like in the eyes of these people, Booker went from chucker to inefficient chucker to efficient empty stats to best player on crap team to KING of empty stats. He can't just be a good player
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,912

Post#850 » by Mulhollanddrive » Tue Mar 2, 2021 7:49 am

Anyone notice he plays like TJ Warren now a days.
Revived
RealGM

Post#851 » by Revived » Tue Mar 2, 2021 8:00 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
Revived wrote:TouchPassDario, you’ll be happy to learn that you aren’t the only person who thinks Booker isn’t a top 3 player on this team. There’s two of you now on this planet!

Can't believe this empty stat narrative *STILL* exists. Like in the eyes of these people, Booker went from chucker to inefficient chucker to efficient empty stats to best player on crap team to KING of empty stats. He can't just be a good player

It’s funny to me how Beal doesn’t get the same label. Beal is the poor superstar on a bad team that needs to be saved while Booker on those worse Suns teams is an empty stats guy.

I get it that Booker isn’t an easily likable player if he’s not on your fave team. Kinda like Kobe. Book has a punchable face, and is maybe an **** off the court (made fun of some old dudes hooping at a gym blastin them on ig, put on a ski mask and went fighting with Ulis, sometimes rude to reporters, always looks mad and rarely even smiles etc but is also involved in charitable work as stuff as well too even if he has some overinflated ego that mostly all athletes do) but I don’t understand how his actual talent and skills can be denied.

The rosters that Booker played with his first 2-3 years in the league are just comically awful.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#852 » by Saberestar » Tue Mar 2, 2021 1:37 pm

I think that Book is gonna be in the MVP conversation this season.

Two times already player of the week in the Western Conference and he is getting better and better.

His current level of play is at the top of the league.
suns12345
Starter
And1: 1,612

Post#853 » by suns12345 » Tue Mar 2, 2021 7:45 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:

I'll tell you what, I hate this narrative that CP3 coming here means CP3 s the sole reason we are having a good year.

Yes, he is amazing and a deserving all star, but that would only be an indictment on Book if they traded CP3 for Booker and now we were winning.

Instead, CP3 in combination with Booker is getting wins since we finally have a good team.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#854 » by Saberestar » Tue Mar 2, 2021 8:11 pm

Read on Twitter
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,203

Post#855 » by King4Day » Tue Mar 2, 2021 9:03 pm

Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

All while another hate thread about Booker is taking place in the NBA forum.
Love it!
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
TouchPassDario
Pro Prospect

Post#856 » by TouchPassDario » Tue Mar 2, 2021 9:36 pm

Sup, homie.

Booker has been the 4th most impactful player on the Suns this year. I think he’s probably the 2nd best (notice the different words), but it’s close factoring DA’s borderline elite defense.
TouchPassDario
Pro Prospect

Post#857 » by TouchPassDario » Tue Mar 2, 2021 9:44 pm

James Jones deserves a ton of credit. He had built a tremendous roster around Booker to cover for his weaknesses. Paul/Bridges/Ayton are nearly the platonic ideal for who to put around Booker. If we could magically add a big wing who could handle and defend and shoot (PG type), that would be flawless. Jae and Frank and Dario and the Cams are all decent complements as well.

Booker is a dynamic offensive player. When he was surrounded by young and/or awful defenders at more than one other position it mitigated his effect on winning greatly. The young Suns growing up and getting some less than full strength/effort opponents in the bubble helped. As did Ricky and getting rid of Oubre (another “talent” that has bad warts, not nearly as good as Book offensively but a similar archetype).

If Booker was on Utah for Mitchell they would be better. If Booker was on Denver for Murray, they would be better. In that sense, as a number one/two option he is a very good/great player and has big impact, but he needs the structure around him more so than typical all stars who create the structure by their presence (like CP).
TouchPassDario
Pro Prospect

Post#858 » by TouchPassDario » Tue Mar 2, 2021 9:46 pm

Saberestar wrote:I think that Book is gonna be in the MVP conversation this season.

Two times already player of the week in the Western Conference and he is getting better and better.

Not a bad take. If he has a March like his February and the Suns get to 2 or 1 by the end of the month he will definitely be on the short list. Big game tonight for the narrative.
TouchPassDario
Pro Prospect

Post#859 » by TouchPassDario » Tue Mar 2, 2021 9:47 pm

Revived wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:

It’s funny to me how Beal doesn’t get the same label. Beal is the poor superstar on a bad team that needs to be saved while Booker on those worse Suns teams is an empty stats guy.

I get it that Booker isn’t an easily likable player if he’s not on your fave team. Kinda like Kobe. Book has a punchable face, and is maybe an **** off the court (made fun of some old dudes hooping at a gym blastin them on ig, put on a ski mask and went fighting with Ulis, sometimes rude to reporters, always looks mad and rarely even smiles etc but is also involved in charitable work as stuff as well too even if he has some overinflated ego that mostly all athletes do) but I don’t understand how his actual talent and skills can be denied.

The rosters that Booker played with his first 2-3 years in the league are just comically awful.

Beal is a guy that would THRIVE in the system and with the talent we have here. I think swapping him for Booker is a wash, and we might even get better.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,613

Post#860 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Mar 2, 2021 9:53 pm

Saberestar wrote:I think that Book is gonna be in the MVP conversation this season.

Wonder if he'll get the recognition though. CP3 being the bigger name and having the previous accolades could steal votes or negatively impact the narrative
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame

Return to Phoenix Suns