The Official Nic Claxton Thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Whiskey Slick
Pro Prospect
And1: 407

Re: The Official Nic Claxton Thread 

Post#121 » by Whiskey Slick » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:05 pm

I'm sure Spencer was exaggerating to make a point,
but Dinwiddie called Claxton the second most talented player on the Nets roster. :o

Suwanee
Junior
And1: 174

Post#122 » by Suwanee » Tue Mar 2, 2021 4:24 am

Well, Dinwinddie may actually have a point. With the big 3, he’s definitely not the 2nd, not even the 3rd most talented player. But he’s a very intriguing player. Has all the right tools and hustles. Only thing is his frame is too thin and looks very fragile. Could be injury prone
GYK
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#123 » by GYK » Tue Mar 2, 2021 5:19 am

Very intriguing. They love his switch ability. They want him involved in as many screens as possible. He seems very comfortable as a man defender and obviously weak side blocker. Which is why he should be a PF.
If we are to get another center there’s no reason not to use them all(especially if we hold onto Spencer contract into the off-season).
I get why not now as we have only 2 rotation bigs but as we get a 3rd there’s no way we can’t benefit from this sort of rangy man defense/help with paint protection still meet. It also clears up a lot of concerns against inside scoring threats and stretch 5’s. That’s his assignment while paint protection is still the centers.
All works offensively as he has jumper and can cut(including lobs).
Very similar to what the Lakers did with AD/Dwight and McGee.
Openheimer
Sixth Man
And1: 1,100

Post#124 » by Openheimer » Tue Mar 2, 2021 5:57 am

Damn his feet are so quick and his ability to stay in front of quick guards is KG in his prime like
sashaturiaf
Veteran
And1: 2,819

Post#125 » by sashaturiaf » Tue Mar 2, 2021 8:44 am

This kid is impressive. He's got everything you want in a big man in today's game except for the strength and lower body bulk.

Throw him in a game for 15 minutes with scary hours and he's going to cause a LOT of headaches for the rest of the league. Can't deny the energy he brings and the fact he can guard any position relatively well
Whiskey Slick
Pro Prospect

Post#126 » by Whiskey Slick » Tue Mar 2, 2021 9:28 am

You know how we've spent all year racking our brains about acquiring another BIG whom we would likely need to take this ride all the way to the championship this year?

Well I'm starting to believe we've had that BIG sitting on our bench all year,
it was just a matter of being patient and waiting for him to get healthy.

Yes, I am that impressed with Nic Claxton and I know he's barely scratching the surface of his ceiling.

BTW Claxton said he's fine and expects to play verses Houston in the last game before the all-star break.

So whether he plays or not, it sounds like we dodged a bullet against any kind of serious re-injury.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

The Official Nic Claxton Thread 

Post#127 » by Paradise » Tue Mar 2, 2021 11:35 am

Whiskey Slick wrote:I'm sure Spencer was exaggerating to make a point,
but Dinwiddie called Claxton the second most talented player on the Nets roster. :o

He wasn’t exaggerating lol

I think everyone from Spencer, DJ, Kyrie, KD and now Harden have all shown they are fully invested into making Claxton the next star on the team. He’s next up. Atkinson loved his potential, now Nash is raving.

Kyrie gave him a new nickname, KD gave him his signature line, Harden paying off his technical, Jeff Green said he could be “great”, etc.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,548

Post#128 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Mar 2, 2021 1:42 pm

BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#129 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Mar 2, 2021 1:49 pm

sashaturiaf wrote:This kid is impressive. He's got everything you want in a big man in today's game except for the strength and lower body bulk.

Throw him in a game for 15 minutes with scary hours and he's going to cause a LOT of headaches for the rest of the league. Can't deny the energy he brings and the fact he can guard any position relatively well

He gives our line up that youthful energy that we have needed for awhile. He doesn't try to do anything outside of what he's asked to and he is a pest defensively.

Taking a dive into his numbers, it's a small sample size but what stands out: The excellent offensive efficiency, nearly 2 blocks per game, 1.3 steals. He is a +6 defensively. He's hitting his free throws.

What concerns me: I need to get some more rebounding from him. Maybe that comes with an increase in minutes, I dunno. But we need him to definitely get on the glass more. He does get caught out on switches a lot which takes him away from the basket so that could be an issue in terms of his rebounding.

Either way, so far so good. If we can start seeing him utilizing his jump shot efficiently, this kid will be a stud.

Whiskey Slick
Pro Prospect

Post#130 » by Whiskey Slick » Tue Mar 2, 2021 2:38 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
sashaturiaf wrote:This kid is impressive. He's got everything you want in a big man in today's game except for the strength and lower body bulk.

He gives our line up that youthful energy that we have needed for awhile. He doesn't try to do anything outside of what he's asked to and he is a pest defensively.

Taking a dive into his numbers, it's a small sample size but what stands out: The excellent offensive efficiency, nearly 2 blocks per game, 1.3 steals. He is a +6 defensively. He's hitting his free throws.

What concerns me: I need to get some more rebounding from him. Maybe that comes with an increase in minutes, I dunno. But we need him to definitely get on the glass more. He does get caught out on switches a lot which takes him away from the basket so that could be an issue in terms of his rebounding.

Either way, so far so good. If we can start seeing him utilizing his jump shot efficiently, this kid will be a stud.

Aside from scoring in the post, and I already see an athletic BIG who is a good scorer in the post and will only continue to get better, but you nailed something I love about his defense, he's a natural shot blocker, mandatory for Centers in my view, and like everything else that's only gonna get better. But you also nailed the thing he'll need to work on the most, rebounding, another thing that's mandatory for my Centers.

Unless he naturally puts on weight, NOT FAT, as his body matures and he continues to work on his upper body, I don't think he'll ever be an elite rebounder. However he does have the length to become a much better rebounder, more than acceptable for a Center, he just needs to concentrate on that aspect of his game and realize a lot of it is "will". James Harden is a perfect example. If he can get double-digit rebounds nearly every game, and it's only because he has "the will" to get in there and do it, then Nic can certainly do likewise.

I know the veterans have taken a real liking to this kid, including the BIG 3, and they are all helping to make him a better player. I just hope Harden tells him what I just said, that if he (Harden) can get double-digit rebounds, there's no reason why Nic can't do likewise when he gets the minutes. Then teach him whatever else it is that James is doing right, because it's pretty damn rare for 6' 5" Guards to rebound like James.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,432

Post#131 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Mar 2, 2021 3:18 pm

Suwanee wrote:Well, Dinwinddie may actually have a point. With the big 3, he’s definitely not the 2nd, not even the 3rd most talented player. But he’s a very intriguing player. Has all the right tools and hustles. Only thing is his frame is too thin and looks very fragile. Could be injury prone

It's not a question if he's injury prone, currently he is injury prone.

The question is, can he put on some weight and get stronger and become less injury prone?

He might be a kid so talented and such a good fit where you just live with him missing chunks of games every season. You just want him to put on enough weight and gain enough strength, where his injuries are normal nagging stuff and not surgery required, season ending, at times career altering stuff, where he's in a perpetual cycle of play for awhile, injury, surgery, rehab, rinse and repeat.

He's cost controlled for years, then restricted and has a high ceiling, so I don't think the first thing they're thinking is trade him, nor am I personally advocating for that at all, but you have to acknowledge the fact they're going to listen to offers when they're shopping Dinwiddie, especially because of his slight build and injury proneness, combined with the win it all for the next 3 or 4 seasons mentality.

I don't think they're going to just throw him in any old trade, in the slightest, but they might move him if a perfect fit presented itself. Someone in their prime, perfect fit on the court, fair contract, not a trouble starter, athletic, etc.

I know I'm going to get killed for this take, because it's going to come across almost negative or whatever, but I'm just putting it out there as a reality, irl, that our front office is certainly listening and evaluating options.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#132 » by Prokorov » Tue Mar 2, 2021 4:01 pm

I was definitely wrong putting him in the Perry D-league scrub category. He is certainly a rotation player in the NBA. Hand up I was off on that one. He is certainly closer to Kurucs years 1/2 as someone who can make a positive impact in large minutes. Also, He can play the 5 on offense. His screens need some work but he isnt like Okafor who was just alergic to contact.

Defensively I still think he is a SF/PF. he doesnt protect the rim well enough to be a 5 on D. He blocks some shots but he isnt a shot blocker. most of those are activity. Smalls are still driving and scoring mostly undeterred similar to when Green is on the floor. But thats not a claxton issue. Nash wants to play small and sacrafice shot blocking. The idea rebounding is an issue is dated. rebounding is most teams lowest priority

I'm not worried about his size. This isnt the 1980s. if teams are going to post up and back down their center to a 35 point game they will lose almost every time. You simply cant win like that in todays NBA. Even the bigs who do mostly score you see their teams stall in the playoffs or their bigs score a ton outside the paint as well. Claxton will put on weight once he gets older. Allen still isnt the biggest guy and was smaller the past 2 seasons but still got the job done.

People just need to temper their expectations. Just like Levert wasnt an all-star he was still a good player. Claxton wont be some 2-way stud but he could be a good player in his own right.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#133 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Mar 2, 2021 4:28 pm

Whiskey Slick wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Aside from scoring in the post, and I already see an athletic BIG who is a good scorer in the post and will only continue to get better, but you nailed something I love about his defense, he's a natural shot blocker, mandatory for Centers in my view, and like everything else that's only gonna get better. But you also nailed the thing he'll need to work on the most, rebounding, another thing that's mandatory for my Centers.

Unless he naturally puts on weight, NOT FAT, as his body matures and he continues to work on his upper body, I don't think he'll ever be an elite rebounder. However he does have the length to become a much better rebounder, more than acceptable for a Center, he just needs to concentrate on that aspect of his game and realize a lot of it is "will". James Harden is a perfect example. If he can get double-digit rebounds nearly every game, and it's only because he has "the will" to get in there and do it, then Nic can certainly do likewise.

I know the veterans have taken a real liking to this kid, including the BIG 3, and they are all helping to make him a better player. I just hope Harden tells him what I just said, that if he (Harden) can get double-digit rebounds, there's no reason why Nic can't do likewise when he gets the minutes. Then teach him whatever else it is that James is doing right, because it's pretty damn rare for 6' 5" Guards to rebound like James.

If he can give us 7-8 rebounds a game i'll live with it. I don't expect him to be an elite rebounder, but we need more than 2.3 per contest.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#134 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Mar 2, 2021 4:31 pm

Prokorov wrote:I was definitely wrong putting him in the Perry D-league scrub category. He is certainly a rotation player in the NBA. Hand up I was off on that one. He is certainly closer to Kurucs years 1/2 as someone who can make a positive impact in large minutes. Also, He can play the 5 on offense. His screens need some work but he isnt like Okafor who was just alergic to contact.

Defensively I still think he is a SF/PF. he doesnt protect the rim well enough to be a 5 on D. He blocks some shots but he isnt a shot blocker. most of those are activity. Smalls are still driving and scoring mostly undeterred similar to when Green is on the floor. But thats not a claxton issue. Nash wants to play small and sacrafice shot blocking. The idea rebounding is an issue is dated. rebounding is most teams lowest priority

I'm not worried about his size. This isnt the 1980s. if teams are going to post up and back down their center to a 35 point game they will lose almost every time. You simply cant win like that in todays NBA. Even the bigs who do mostly score you see their teams stall in the playoffs or their bigs score a ton outside the paint as well. Claxton will put on weight once he gets older. Allen still isnt the biggest guy and was smaller the past 2 seasons but still got the job done.

People just need to temper their expectations. Just like Levert wasnt an all-star he was still a good player. Claxton wont be some 2-way stud but he could be a good player in his own right.

1.8 blocks per game so far. The fact that we switch on everything also takes him away from the rim so we really don't know yet.

Either way props to you for giving Nic his due. I was cautious as well about him but he's showing that he has NBA chops and he plays with confidence.

Prokorov
RealGM

Post#135 » by Prokorov » Tue Mar 2, 2021 4:59 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Whiskey Slick wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

If he can give us 7-8 rebounds a game i'll live with it. I don't expect him to be an elite rebounder, but we need more than 2.3 per contest.

Do we really need more then that thought? those 2.3 rebounds are in 14 minutes. And Harden/Kyrie are combining for 13 rebounds a game. How many of the rebounds he isnt getting are going to our opponents? No one really crashes the boards. and from my eye test alot of our offensive rebounds allowed are poor rotations or not rotating when our big helps. That and playing super small not just at big but really 1-5. Harris boxed out a few times on a rotation and the big just went over him.

The last 20 years of playoffs teams/champions has shown definitively you can be bad or even dead last rebounding and not have it effect your title chances. Put KD at PF instead of brown/harris and that helps too.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#136 » by Prokorov » Tue Mar 2, 2021 5:02 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:I was definitely wrong putting him in the Perry D-league scrub category. He is certainly a rotation player in the NBA. Hand up I was off on that one. He is certainly closer to Kurucs years 1/2 as someone who can make a positive impact in large minutes. Also, He can play the 5 on offense. His screens need some work but he isnt like Okafor who was just alergic to contact.

1.8 blocks per game so far. The fact that we switch on everything also takes him away from the rim so we really don't know yet.

Either way props to you for giving Nic his due. I was cautious as well about him but he's showing that he has NBA chops and he plays with confidence.

I think there is a difference between blocking shots and being a rim protector. He has blocked a bunch of shots on smalls taking perimeter jump shots on switches or helping on the break. Those are great things.... but when a small drives to the rim at the half court and finishes and gashes us like they have all year if DJ is on the bench, thats when you need rim protection. Also, 2 or even 3 blocks needs to be in context. is that 2-3 blocks but 16 layups by smalls? or is that 2-3 blocks and smalls being intimidated to come inside or drive and kick due to not having as clean a look?

Again, this is not a criticism of claxton. its not his game. he has plenty of strengths and if Nash wants to go that route due to other advantages so be it.
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#137 » by MGrand15 » Tue Mar 2, 2021 5:27 pm

The rim protection issue is compounded by how small we are without KD + Green in the lineup. Claxton is switching 1 through 5 and doing a great job but when he's out of the paint, it's Harris/Harden/Shamet/TJ helping at the rim. They're not stopping anyone. If KD or even Green is rotating to protect the paint, those layups are contested at least.

Really like what I've seen out of him. He just needs to get in better condition. He's visibly tired out there. He's doing this without his legs fully under him which is just ridiculous. I think he's gonna be awesome after the all star break. This dude is just so talented and our centers don't have to do much out there.

I'm just glad that even though we're in win-now mode - we might have 3 guys in the rotation 24 and under. Always good to have guys still developing. Also brings a different energy to the team when the vets have young guys to mentor. Bruce and Nic are always the biggest cheerleaders on the bench too.
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#138 » by GTR11 » Tue Mar 2, 2021 5:49 pm

Whats rule number one?

If kid can give us 3+ years of 75+ games I'll give him all the props. Until than he's a starter that needs maintenance and can't be relied upon.
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#139 » by GTR11 » Tue Mar 2, 2021 5:52 pm

Prok go check how many rotation players came from top 10, than check how many rotation players came from second round. You welcome.
Hint past 10-15 years.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#140 » by Paradise » Tue Mar 2, 2021 7:14 pm

I told y’all he was legit. He would’ve been a starter by now if it wasn’t for that ugly shoulder injury that kept him out last season throughout the shutdown and Bubble.

Return to Brooklyn Nets