ImageImageImageImageImage

"Around the NBA": 2020-21 Season Thread

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,768

Re: "Around the NBA": 2020-21 Season Thread 

Post#181 » by Karate Diop » Mon Mar 1, 2021 3:11 pm

therealbig3 wrote:Hard to hate on the Knicks this year, other than them simply being the Knicks. They're playing way above expectations.

Thibs is COY imo so far. They're the #4 seed! Who would have predicted they'd be in the playoff hunt before the season started, let alone in position to have HCA in the 1st round?

I mean, obviously Quinn Snyder is the front runner, but I think what Thibs is doing with the Knicks is more impressive. And other than Thibs and Snyder, nobody else is really that impressive. Rivers has the Sixers #1, but not because they're even playing that great. They're not exactly lighting the world on fire. They're on pace for 53 wins, which isn't super impressive. They'd be the 5th seed in the West right now.

Thibs is having an Atkinson season on that he's empowering scrubs to compete and win games that their talent level would suggest they should lose.

Different method of doing it of course as he has his team defending while Atkinson had his teams span threes, but I'll give Manhatten credit, they're playing great basketball relative to their overall talent...
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,837

Post#182 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Mar 1, 2021 4:40 pm

therealbig3 wrote:Hard to hate on the Knicks this year, other than them simply being the Knicks. They're playing way above expectations.

Thibs is COY imo so far. They're the #4 seed! Who would have predicted they'd be in the playoff hunt before the season started, let alone in position to have HCA in the 1st round?

I mean, obviously Quinn Snyder is the front runner, but I think what Thibs is doing with the Knicks is more impressive. And other than Thibs and Snyder, nobody else is really that impressive. Rivers has the Sixers #1, but not because they're even playing that great. They're not exactly lighting the world on fire. They're on pace for 53 wins, which isn't super impressive. They'd be the 5th seed in the West right now.

I can't see them holding onto that 4th spot with the Heat getting themselves into gear.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#183 » by Paradise » Mon Mar 1, 2021 5:13 pm

This kid is going to be a GOAT level scorer. The next nba superstar.

Good lord

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#184 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Mar 1, 2021 7:10 pm

Did anyone see this last night? Richard Jefferson at the end of this clip goes "Whoa, calm down Jamal" :lol: :lol: :lol:

RJ is crazy bruh

GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#185 » by GTR11 » Wed Mar 3, 2021 2:44 am

This Rob Williams guy exposing Zubac right now. Clip fans bragged about that guy?
Rob just like Nic couldn't get min and was hurt for a while. Second year guy too. Let's see who's got better one. My bet will be on Nic, our guy can score in different ways beside being high energy guy. Don't need to spoon feed him.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,067

Post#186 » by therealbig3 » Wed Mar 3, 2021 2:50 am

Yeah Robert Williams does remind me of Claxton, except less refined offensively, but bigger and stronger.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,067

Post#187 » by therealbig3 » Wed Mar 3, 2021 4:37 am

So halfway through the season, looking around the East, I think our biggest competition is Philly, Miami, and Toronto.

I am honestly not scared of the Bucks and Celtics, I think we pose a lot more problems for them than they do for us, and it's them that would need to adjust to us, not the other way around. Like, I think we would play guys like Theis, Thompson, and Lopez off the court and force them to play more small ball, and we'll be way better at that than they are.

But Toronto and Miami are tough, defensive-minded teams that can match up well with us and have excellent head coaches that learn how to exploit a team's weakness over the course of a 7 game series. Even though they'd be underdogs, they're the type of scrappy team that just has killers up and down the lineup and won't back down against anyone. Miami especially has two legit superstar talents in Butler and Bam. And I can't think of a better defensive player than Bam, other than maybe Davis, when it comes to trying to defend our lineup.

And Philly has a ton of shooting and a ton of size, and Embiid is the worst matchup for us in the league, on paper at least. Would love to avoid Toronto and Miami altogether tbh, because upset potential is there imo. Less so with Toronto, but Miami is a scary dark horse. I don't think their bubble performance was a fluke, I think they're exactly the type of team that saves their best for the playoffs and all of a sudden you see a bunch of really good players that don't back down against anyone up and down their lineup, led by Butler and Bam, and you're like, how did this team only win 45 games lol (or the 72 game equivalent)?
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#188 » by Prokorov » Wed Mar 3, 2021 4:16 pm

therealbig3 wrote:Yeah Robert Williams does remind me of Claxton, except less refined offensively, but bigger and stronger.

Williams isnt nearly as skilled as claxton and is a true big where as claxton can play all over the floor. Williams isnt a rim protector, which would be the area he could seperate himself.

He also sits a ton because he makes so many poor plays and has a low bbiq. at times he looks good, at times he looks unplayable. i think he is closer to perry then claxton
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#189 » by Prokorov » Wed Mar 3, 2021 4:21 pm

therealbig3 wrote:So halfway through the season, looking around the East, I think our biggest competition is Philly, Miami, and Toronto.

I am honestly not scared of the Bucks and Celtics, I think we pose a lot more problems for them than they do for us, and it's them that would need to adjust to us, not the other way around. Like, I think we would play guys like Theis, Thompson, and Lopez off the court and force them to play more small ball, and we'll be way better at that than they are.

But Toronto and Miami are tough, defensive-minded teams that can match up well with us and have excellent head coaches that learn how to exploit a team's weakness over the course of a 7 game series. Even though they'd be underdogs, they're the type of scrappy team that just has killers up and down the lineup and won't back down against anyone. Miami especially has two legit superstar talents in Butler and Bam. And I can't think of a better defensive player than Bam, other than maybe Davis, when it comes to trying to defend our lineup.

And Philly has a ton of shooting and a ton of size, and Embiid is the worst matchup for us in the league, on paper at least. Would love to avoid Toronto and Miami altogether tbh, because upset potential is there imo. Less so with Toronto, but Miami is a scary dark horse. I don't think their bubble performance was a fluke, I think they're exactly the type of team that saves their best for the playoffs and all of a sudden you see a bunch of really good players that don't back down against anyone up and down their lineup, led by Butler and Bam, and you're like, how did this team only win 45 games lol (or the 72 game equivalent)?

There is no team id rather play then Philly. to me they are a layup. They simply are not going to win as constructed and in the NBA in general you have a lowered ceiling with so much scoring volume from your big. Just too many 38/12/5 games from embiid where the team loses. Its too easy to let him go off but stop everyone else. and then he exerts all that offensive energy and can be a 38 mpg rim protector. Then throw in how awful a fit simmons is with him, and their general losing stench with tanking culture.

I'd play them over altanta, knicks, wizards, etc for sure... I mean, their record vs. teams over .500 is bad. and the over .500 teams that have beaten are like the pacers of the world for the most part.

Celtics if they add a big/depth or miami if they add Lowry (and even make the playoffs) scare me. Bucks scare no one. Raps woudnt beat us but they would drag out a series for sure.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#190 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Mar 3, 2021 6:46 pm

For the first time as a Nets fan, I will say that if we are 100% healthy and we get some shrewd buyout pick ups between now and the playoffs, I fear no one in the East.

We are rolling with just Harden and Kyrie + The Boys. If we have KD at 100% with everyone else, who is beating us? Especially now that our defense is pretty much trending towards middle of the pack levels?

Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,202

Post#191 » by Papi_swav » Wed Mar 3, 2021 7:33 pm

Man the East sucks once again. I hope Saltics get the 7th 8th seed lol that would be hilarious to smash them in the 1st round.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#192 » by Paradise » Thu Mar 4, 2021 9:15 pm

Drake dropping an EP tonight called “Scary Hours 2”

Read on Twitter

GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#193 » by GTR11 » Thu Mar 4, 2021 9:31 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:For the first time as a Nets fan, I will say that if we are 100% healthy and we get some shrewd buyout pick ups between now and the playoffs, I fear no one in the East.

We are rolling with just Harden and Kyrie + The Boys. If we have KD at 100% with everyone else, who is beating us? Especially now that our defense is pretty much trending towards middle of the pack levels?

Pace and space, Harden such a dominant force he makes other teams play towards our strengths. With PG's being score first this days they don't usually play to teams strengths, forgotten art of the game. Billups, J.Kidd, Stocktan and CP3 to name few thrived throughout their careers. Harden 2x times of them simply because his ability to score, that just creats so much problems vs opponents that it expands his game to another levels.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#194 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Mar 9, 2021 11:23 pm

Is anyone else surprised that posters on the GB are defending Meyers Leonard? God this website is a hell hole.

I cannot for the life of me can imagine how someone can grow up playing team sports, being surrounded by people from all walks of life, and goes around spewing hate.

Shark
Lead Assistant
And1: 980

Post#195 » by Shark » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:54 am

MrDollarBills wrote:Is anyone else surprised that posters on the GB are defending Meyers Leonard? God this website is a hell hole.

I cannot for the life of me can imagine how someone can grow up playing team sports, being surrounded by people from all walks of life, and goes around spewing hate.

Considering the way they talk about players who decide to speak up on social justice its not all that surprising.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,423

Post#196 » by ecuhus1981 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:40 am

I dare one of those GB posters to tell Meyers to "shut up and dribble". No, in cases like this, they espouse free speech (really, it's hate speech), blame cancel culture and scream, "muh rawhtz"!
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#197 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:50 am

Shark wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Is anyone else surprised that posters on the GB are defending Meyers Leonard? God this website is a hell hole.

Considering the way they talk about players who decide to speak up on social justice its not all that surprising.

There are dudes admitting in that thread that they engage in the same behavior, some saying that they have said worse. :lol: unbelievable. Who would even be proud to admit that?

Having been called the n word numerous times while playing online, I'm thinking that the use of ethic and racial slurs towards minorities are like breathing for a lot of people on this website.

Prokorov
RealGM

Post#198 » by Prokorov » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:22 pm

Having been suspended from the GB 4 times for suggesting racism exsists, white supremecy is wrong, or that blacks dont deserve to be shot for minor traffic vilations... no it does not surprise me at all.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#199 » by Prokorov » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:24 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Shark wrote:

There are dudes admitting in that thread that they engage in the same behavior, some saying that they have said worse. :lol: unbelievable. Who would even be proud to admit that?

Having been called the n word numerous times while playing online, I'm thinking that the use of ethic and racial slurs towards minorities are like breathing for a lot of people on this website.

Yeah... i mean, i cant tell you how many times ive been called the "N" word online playing madden or Call of duty. and im like super white. its an awful microcosm of the racism in this country. like its just common place its ok to go online and on your headset call people the N word in the most deroogotory of ways
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#200 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:42 pm

Prokorov wrote:

Having been suspended from the GB 4 times for suggesting racism exsists, white supremecy is wrong, or that blacks dont deserve to be shot for minor traffic vilations... no it does not surprise me at all.

I am banned from the GB too, and you can guess why. :lol:

There are a few posters who always show up in threads on the GB that pertain to social issues or women that spew some of the most racist, vile stuff you'll ever see on this site and nothing happens to them. I kind of got the hint back in 2016 in the politics forum about what kind of element that RealGM as a whole (not the Nets forum though. The mods are great here) caters towards.

Return to Brooklyn Nets