ImageImageImage

Around the League 2020-21

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,774

Re: Around the League 2020-21 

Post#381 » by WindyCityBorn » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:17 am

Calinks wrote:Just tuned into the Hornets Warriors game. Their commentators are so overcome with joy. They are crazy hyped. Then I see them down, they are executing like crazy against GSW, then get a clutch steal. Rozier hits a crazy buzzer-beater and wins. All the players are celebrating like crazy, commentators are super happy and full of joy. They got a team, they got a great rookie, everything is gold. The wolves can never have that and it's freaking sad.

You have Towns and got the #1 pick in draft. Could be a LOT worse.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,225

Post#382 » by Calinks » Mon Mar 1, 2021 6:44 am

Holy smokes was watching the Hornets game, and turned it off, they looked toast with like 2 minutes left, go back to find out they won that game. Damn that team is energized, this is probably a top 3 season for Hornets fans, has to feel damn good.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
MN7725
Veteran
And1: 1,076

Post#383 » by MN7725 » Mon Mar 1, 2021 6:52 am

Calinks wrote:Holy smokes was watching the Hornets game, and turned it off, they looked toast with like 2 minutes left, go back to find out they won that game. Damn that team is energized, this is probably a top 3 season for Hornets fans, has to feel damn good.

Hornets were missing 3 of their top 6 or 7 players too, Hayward, Graham, Zeller
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#384 » by Merc_Porto » Mon Mar 1, 2021 8:34 am

We really missed an opportunity to draft a future superstar in this league. And i'm not blaming anyone for... Like 3 teams passed on Doncic or the Sixers passed on Tatum for Fultz (examples)...

It happens but sxhit, we really can't get a break and finnaly hit the jackpot.

LaMelo is unbelievable good already.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,807

Post#385 » by Klomp » Mon Mar 1, 2021 2:06 pm

Calinks wrote:Just tuned into the Hornets Warriors game. Their commentators are so overcome with joy. They are crazy hyped. Then I see them down, they are executing like crazy against GSW, then get a clutch steal. Rozier hits a crazy buzzer-beater and wins. All the players are celebrating like crazy, commentators are super happy and full of joy. They got a team, they got a great rookie, everything is gold. The wolves can never have that and it's freaking sad.

Could be worse, we could've drafted Okafor 5 years ago....
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
m2002brian
Veteran
And1: 1,104

Post#386 » by m2002brian » Mon Mar 1, 2021 2:59 pm

Klomp wrote:

Or DLo.
Would hate to be stuck with that dude on our team.
Oh wait :banghead:

In Hindsight Porzingis was the one to go with.

In real hindsight Booker was, but that would have been an super mega ultra reach at the time.

Out of the top 4 picks from 2015, only one remains with their team, the other 3 were traded. Of the 3 teams that traded their 2015 top 4 pick, all 3 have gotten better since. We can thank Thibs for making that last tidbit work out.
BLUEGREENRED
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,511

Post#387 » by Worm Guts » Mon Mar 1, 2021 3:34 pm

m2002brian wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Or DLo.

In real hindsight Booker was, but that would have been an super mega ultra reach at the time.

Out of the top 4 picks from 2015, only one remains with their team, the other 3 were traded. Of the 3 teams that traded their 2015 top 4 pick, all 3 have gotten better since. We can thank Thibs for making that last tidbit work out.

Porzingis wouldn't have been a better pick, I'm not even sure Booker would have been a better pick. Towns isn't the problem, it's just about everything else that's the problem.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#388 » by jpatrick » Mon Mar 1, 2021 3:41 pm

My problem was that by draft time, analysts had LaMelo as almost the consensus #1 (a story came out awhile ago even GSW had him 1 but took Wiseman bc of fit). I don’t know if Rosas had them ranked differently or didn’t like the fit with DLo, but LaMelo will be a top 10 NBA player in three years. More than that, he plays winning basketball and is the type of guy other players love to play with. Was a major miss.

Rosas’ three biggest talent evaluations have been horrific misses: #6 pick, #1 pick, and DLo trade.
m2002brian
Veteran

Post#389 » by m2002brian » Mon Mar 1, 2021 4:48 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
m2002brian wrote:
Klomp wrote:Could be worse, we could've drafted Okafor 5 years ago....

Or DLo.

Porzingis wouldn't have been a better pick, I'm not even sure Booker would have been a better pick. Towns isn't the problem, it's just about everything else that's the problem.

Towns himself isn’t the problem. It’s the thinking of many, that he is someone you build around. He’s not. He’s someone you put around someone better. He is just not strong enough physically or mentally to be the center of a build.

I’m sorry to all the Towns fans who thinks he’s the shiznit, but he’s just not. Maybe I’m old, but players like KG are rare, so let’s pick someone else. Rasheed Wallace, not a person you build around, yet superior to Towns in almost every way, defense, hustle, intensity, physicality, and not a bad shooter either.

So if a player, that is superior (in most ways, not all) to Towns isn’t even worth building around, wtf makes people think Towns is going to be some savior?

The Suns and Jazz are a prime example of what is required for winning. Elite guard play and good to great interior defense and keep them honest interior offense.

Karl only provides 1 thing offense. And even that is suspect at time. Remember when Love was raining 3s here? Love didn’t drop off because of injuries when he went to the Cavs, he dropped off because he wasn’t chucking on a losing team. Same thing would happen to KAT on a team that’s seriously competing, he would be relegated to third option at best.

So now this team has DLo NOd and KAT and and somehow without playing and defense on the perimeter or the interior we are supposed to build around that. :crazy:

This team need to be blown up. I can’t wait for new ownership.
BLUEGREENRED
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,511

Post#390 » by Worm Guts » Mon Mar 1, 2021 4:52 pm

I think Towns is a legitimately good player. He has flaws and he doesn't necessarily need to be the guy we build around, but he is good. I definitely don't think Porzingis is any better.
m2002brian
Veteran

Post#391 » by m2002brian » Mon Mar 1, 2021 5:01 pm

Worm Guts wrote:I think Towns is a legitimately good player. He has flaws and he doesn't necessarily need to be the guy we build around, but he is good. I definitely don't think Porzingis is any better.

He’s not better, but we may have traded him a lot sooner.

I know it’s not baseball but...
I’ve always liked how the Yankees operate. Get prospects built up just enough to trade them for established players. This obviously doesn’t work the same in a league with a salary cap, but I do think we can get multiple assets who as a whole are more than what’s given up. Vets are extremely important in this league.
I know it’s lebron, but just look at when happens to the cavs or lakers when he goes there. They fill those rosters with vets who may be limited, but they play their roles and they play them well. And they play defense.
BLUEGREENRED
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#392 » by Klomp » Mon Mar 1, 2021 5:30 pm

jpatrick wrote:My problem was that by draft time, analysts had LaMelo as almost the consensus #1 (a story came out awhile ago even GSW had him 1 but took Wiseman bc of fit). I don’t know if Rosas had them ranked differently or didn’t like the fit with DLo, but LaMelo will be a top 10 NBA player in three years. More than that, he plays winning basketball and is the type of guy other players love to play with. Was a major miss.

Rosas’ three biggest talent evaluations have been horrific misses: #6 pick, #1 pick, and DLo trade.

There wasn't really a consensus. People thought he had the most TALENT, but there were serious question marks. This wasn't a LeBron, Davis, or even Zion.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#393 » by Calinks » Mon Mar 1, 2021 6:40 pm

I think you can absolutely build around Towns. You could still get a really good team, a playoff team. Now I do think he can't be the number 1 guy (maybe with an elite surrounding cast) but I don't think any centers can really be the number 1 guy when it comes to scoring. The game isn't built for them to take over in playoff games.

The wolves have completely effed this up. Towns has some weakness but nearly every player does, the team has done jack squat to help him. The one time he did get a solid team they made the playoffs and that team wasn't great but it was solid and he was great on it.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#394 » by jpatrick » Mon Mar 1, 2021 9:26 pm

Klomp wrote:
jpatrick wrote:My problem was that by draft time, analysts had LaMelo as almost the consensus #1 (a story came out awhile ago even GSW had him 1 but took Wiseman bc of fit). I don’t know if Rosas had them ranked differently or didn’t like the fit with DLo, but LaMelo will be a top 10 NBA player in three years. More than that, he plays winning basketball and is the type of guy other players love to play with. Was a major miss.

There wasn't really a consensus. People thought he had the most TALENT, but there were serious question marks. This wasn't a LeBron, Davis, or even Zion.

I agree with you. It definitely wasn’t like Zion but almost every National draft analyst had Melo #1. I track the draft way too closely. The two that differed off the top of my head were Jeremy Woo (SI), who had Edwards #1, and KOC (Ringer), who had Hayes #1. Hayes that high was ridiculous then and now.

The point being Rosas is supposed to be the expert and he’s bombed every “major” (lotto picks and big trades) talent eval he’s made. Things could turn this season still, but if they don’t, he needs to be gone this offseason. Hopefully a new owner replacing him.
Rookie-Mistake
Rookie
And1: 390

Post#395 » by Rookie-Mistake » Mon Mar 1, 2021 10:14 pm

Lloyd Pierce given the ass..

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using RealGM mobile app
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#396 » by Calinks » Wed Mar 3, 2021 5:18 am

One thing I dont get about Rosas, why has he targeted nonshooters? I think back and if we kept Saric as our starting PF and took Cam Johnson, I think we would be a lot better off. That's a stretch 4 and a solid shooter. Saric isn't perfect but he would be better than Juancho, Layman, or Okogie at the 4. Kat could hit him on open threes.

Johnson would be a much better fit than Cuvler. Yes, Culver can defend a bit but Johnson hits open threes. He would be a big piece for this team. We have screwed up our role player/rotation guys so much and again its really strange that Rosas has shied away from shooters.

My guess is maybe he believes that shooting can be fixed, I think it's more likely to be an issue forever for players. He did bring in DLO and Beasley of course but I feel like he really missed the mark on the rest of the roster.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#397 » by Klomp » Wed Mar 3, 2021 5:09 pm

Calinks wrote:One thing I dont get about Rosas, why has he targeted nonshooters? I think back and if we kept Saric as our starting PF and took Cam Johnson, I think we would be a lot better off. That's a stretch 4 and a solid shooter. Saric isn't perfect but he would be better than Juancho, Layman, or Okogie at the 4. Kat could hit him on open threes.

Johnson would be a much better fit than Cuvler. Yes, Culver can defend a bit but Johnson hits open threes. He would be a big piece for this team. We have screwed up our role player/rotation guys so much and again its really strange that Rosas has shied away from shooters.

My guess is maybe he believes that shooting can be fixed, I think it's more likely to be an issue forever for players. He did bring in DLO and Beasley of course but I feel like he really missed the mark on the rest of the roster.

He didn't view Saric as a PF in this system (and really, PHX uses him a lot at C too). At C, we have this guy who goes by the name Karl-Anthony Towns. We also had Gorgui Dieng still under contract. Saric was an upcoming RFA, so how much should he be willing to pay for a backup C? He was able to get Naz Reid in here for cheap too.

NO ONE was talking about Cam Johnson at 11. Not RGM, not draft experts, nobody. On draft night, it was viewed as a major reach. Rosas has also talked about how he goes after the highest potential in drafts, whereas FA is for filling team needs. Johnson was 24 on draft night, most people didn't see much potential for him.

Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#398 » by Calinks » Wed Mar 3, 2021 5:31 pm

Klomp wrote:
Calinks wrote:One thing I dont get about Rosas, why has he targeted nonshooters? I think back and if we kept Saric as our starting PF and took Cam Johnson, I think we would be a lot better off. That's a stretch 4 and a solid shooter. Saric isn't perfect but he would be better than Juancho, Layman, or Okogie at the 4. Kat could hit him on open threes.

He didn't view Saric as a PF in this system (and really, PHX uses him a lot at C too). At C, we have this guy who goes by the name Karl-Anthony Towns. We also had Gorgui Dieng still under contract. Saric was an upcoming RFA, so how much should he be willing to pay for a backup C? He was able to get Naz Reid in here for cheap too.

NO ONE was talking about Cam Johnson at 11. Not RGM, not draft experts, nobody. On draft night, it was viewed as a major reach. Rosas has also talked about how he goes after the highest potential in drafts, whereas FA is for filling team needs. Johnson was 24 on draft night, most people didn't see much potential for him.

True and I get it but it would have been the better moves IMO. Maybe he couldn't sign Dario to something reasonable but I think he and Towns would be a better duo for this team than what we have.

Not fair to kill him over this but the guy really needs to start collecting shooters and established players. Team is bereft of weapons.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#399 » by Jedzz » Sat Mar 6, 2021 12:59 am

Klomp wrote:

I was talking about Cam Johnson at 11 and it was because others pointed him out to me when discussing shooters of that draft. So others were.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#400 » by Jedzz » Sat Mar 6, 2021 1:03 am

Jedzz wrote:
Klomp wrote:

I was talking about Cam Johnson at 11 and it was because others pointed him out to me when discussing shooters of that draft. So others were.

To add to that, I remember Herro being talked about and Cam Johnson because a few of us were seeking out shooters. I think people thought Herro would go before Johnson, maybe and that might have been one oooh aahhh bit at the Suns choice and Herro was still sitting there and others.

But if you need a damn shooter, you draft one where your pick is or you try to slide down a bit first if you think you can and risk it. You don't draft based on nothing but completely unproven potential when your basketball team doesn't have more then one pro level shooter on the entire roster at the time.

These empty little ideological rules people spout about always BPA or draft potential and FA for needs are just trash.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves