How do ya'll feel about this trade?

Zach LaVine
Thad Young
/
Dillon Brooks
Brandon Clarke
Dieng
2021, 2023 FRPs (light protection)

Not an unreasonable offer. I think we would try to keep Clarke in a LaVine deal. Maybe Young could go to a 3rd team for additional assets and we replace Clarke with Jontay Porter and a 2nd? Memphis could take back whatever filler the 3rd team sends out. That may be not enough value for you guys though. I'd think LaVine would have a pretty strong market. Also I'd go for the 2024 GSW 1st instead of the 2023 MEM 1st. Feels like that one would be more appealing and seen as potentially more valuable for you guys.

I actually think it's a weak offer for the Bulls the way laving is playing. Thad is still a good veteran presence/player also so he'd fill a void left by Dieng & Clarke.

Memphis currently sit 9th without 3J/Winslow having played a game or with Lavine potentially upgrading Dillon. Both those Memphis picks I'd have projected mid to late firsts & with them being "lightly protected" as suggested, they'd be protected against "lottery luck".

A more fair offer would be Memphis offering up the GS 2024 in combination with the 21 pick.. or am I undervaluing Clarke ?.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Re: Grizzlies Trade Thread 

Post#22 » by jman3134 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:59 pm

We need draft picks as trade outcomes. The 2021 draft feels historic, especially top 5.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,869

Post#23 » by TGW » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:59 am

SD2042 wrote:Here are a couple of trades I worked on over the weekend:

Trade One:

Grizzlies trade D. Brooks, G. Deing, 2021 FRP Lottery Protected, 2023 FRP Lotery Protected and 2025 FRP Pick Swapped

TO

Wizards for B.Beal

LOL you really took a weekend to come up with this?

The Wizards aren't trading Beal for bench fodder and protected picks. At least try and come up with a fair trade.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#24 » by SD2042 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:32 pm

TGW wrote:

Trade One:

Grizzlies trade D. Brooks, G. Deing, 2021 FRP Lottery Protected, 2023 FRP Lotery Protected and 2025 FRP Pick Swapped

TO

Wizards for B.Beal

The Wizards aren't trading Beal for bench fodder and protected picks. At least try and come up with a fair trade.

Since you like to expand on your "great brilliance" let's see you come up with something. BTW, I've seen hella worse trades on our illustratious Trade Board of ours.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,972

Post#25 » by VCfor3 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:19 pm

TGW wrote:

Trade One:

TO

Wizards for B.Beal

We are aware that wouldn't get him. I took it as more of what our team may be willing to give up. When/If Beal is moved, it won't be Memphis that lands him simply because our timeline and his won't match up well enough and we aren't one Beal away. If we gave up what it would actually take to get him (Clarke+pretty much every 1st), we'd have trouble surrounding him with enough talent to win a championship.
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,679

Post#26 » by Whole Truth » Tue Mar 2, 2021 11:56 am

Detroit trade:

Blake Griffen (36m 20-21), (33m 31-22), 2021 unprotected.

Memphis trade:

Dieng 17m expiring

(DB or Winslow) - 11-15m, Winslow team option to potentially make him an expiring contract.

Clarke - 2m

Allen - 2.5m

potentially Utah 2022 & or GS 2024 to entice Detroit to give up their 21 unprotected.

Rotation post trade:

Jonas / Tillman - 3J
3J / Anderson - Tillie
Winslow / Bane - Tillie (Memphis 2021)
Bane / Melton (Detroit 2021 unprotected)
Ja / Tyus / Melton

Detroit 2021 unprotected, Memphis 2021 will net back the depth lost on rookie scale & control in combination with giving Memphis 2 chances at some lotto luck.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#27 » by Whole Truth » Tue Mar 2, 2021 12:01 pm

Alternative package for Blake

(Dieng, Anderson, Allen, Utah 2022 top 8, GS 2024 top 4) for (Blake, 2021 unprotected)
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#28 » by VCfor3 » Tue Mar 2, 2021 10:32 pm

I doubt Detroit gives up a top pick when they are very clearly entering a rebuild
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#29 » by E S V L » Thu Mar 4, 2021 2:04 am

VCfor3 wrote:I doubt Detroit gives up a top pick when they are very clearly entering a rebuild

I doubt, too, to the extent of “not a chance”.
FK NFL
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#30 » by Whole Truth » Thu Mar 4, 2021 4:04 am

VCfor3 wrote:I doubt Detroit gives up a top pick when they are very clearly entering a rebuild

It's not a salary dump trade though.

The trade contains a young proven player & multiple picks, potentially a 21 pick swap type deal with Memphis in the 14th pick range, where Detroit trades down for multiple assets type deal, while saving 33m in the process.

I was thinking it was a potential overpayment by Memphis.

If you were Detroit, you wouldn't consider say Clarke, Allen, Memphis 21 (14th range pick), Utah 2022 pick top 8, GS 2024 top 4 & 33m savings for a top 5 pick in 21 ?.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#31 » by VCfor3 » Thu Mar 4, 2021 11:54 am

Whole Truth wrote:

The trade contains a young proven player & multiple picks, potentially a 21 pick swap type deal with Memphis in the 14th pick range, where Detroit trades down for multiple assets type deal, while saving 33m in the process.

If you were Detroit, you wouldn't consider say Clarke, Allen, Memphis 21 (14th range pick), Utah 2022 pick top 8, GS 2024 top 4 & 33m savings for a top 5 pick in 21 ?.

We were originally leaving out our own pick.

I mean maybe they are willing to drop back to our pick, but I doubt it purely because the top 5 of this draft looks like franchise players. Clarke and the players selected at those three picks we send are highly likely to not be franchise players. With Detroit entering the rebuild, you can definitely argue that more swings is a smart way to go so maybe they'd have some interest, but I would expect them to be trying to get the best player they could in order to try and start acquiring their core before they worry about quality depth. A top 5 pick is more likely to be a core player than our package. So my thought is they'd want to hold onto their pick. We also can't make this offer until draft night due to the protections on the pick owed to Houston so we'd know exactly where our pick lands, where their pick lands, and the difference in player quality likely available at each pick.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#32 » by Whole Truth » Thu Mar 4, 2021 2:11 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:

We were originally leaving out our own pick.

I mean maybe they are willing to drop back to our pick, but I doubt it purely because the top 5 of this draft looks like franchise players. Clarke and the players selected at those three picks we send are highly likely to not be franchise players. With Detroit entering the rebuild, you can definitely argue that more swings is a smart way to go so maybe they'd have some interest, but I would expect them to be trying to get the best player they could in order to try and start acquiring their core before they worry about quality depth. A top 5 pick is more likely to be a core player than our package. So my thought is they'd want to hold onto their pick. We also can't make this offer until draft night due to the protections on the pick owed to Houston so we'd know exactly where our pick lands, where their pick lands, and the difference in player quality likely available at each pick.

More likely is the key words. Nothing is a guarantee & that is what I'm preying on, risk/reward vs maximizing an asset. Players like Kawhi Mitchell & Curry were drafted outside the top 5, top 10, so there's the case to be made that franchise players can be had outside the top 5, though odds maybe greater. So both parties would have to weigh that risk/reward because Memphis can make this trade & draft a potential bust too.

There's a lot of incentives in this trade for Detroit.

1, 33m saving on a injured player. That in itself is worth lightly protected pick as Memphis netted a top 4 to unprotected FRP for 17m, half of what Detroit would be saving but as you stated the reason I added value, is to entice a rebuilding team, not one looking to purely shed salary.

2, They net "Proven" young talent in potentially Clarke/Allen & though they might not be stars, they're sure bets with the possibility.

3, Multiple picks offered, where if Utah & GS FRP's are not enough Memphis could also offer their own pick in a swap to move up.

That's potentially 2 lightly protected FRP's, a mid to late lotto pick & a late first on top of savings & young talent. Reason why I didn't originally include the Memphis 21 pick.

I personally don't think the 21 top 5 pick is worth that offer & consider it an enticing package. Only reason I've considered it from Memphis point of view, is because of the quality depth they already have. They need that type consolidation. I think it's a risky trade, as that top 5 pick has the potential to not pan out but no move/decision is without it's risks & it would be the same reason I think Detroit might consider, to maximize an asset/reduce risk.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#33 » by Whole Truth » Sun Mar 7, 2021 12:09 pm

So much for that. Blake leaves 13m on the table in a buyout..
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#34 » by SD2042 » Tue Mar 9, 2021 9:20 pm

Whole Truth wrote:So much for that. Blake leaves 13m on the table in a buyout..

It's a lot of money to leave on the table. For Blake, it was that time to move forward to a contender of his choice. For the Pistons, it's salary relief and opens more opportunity for Saddiq Bey, Sekou Doumbouya, Isaiah Stewart to earn more minutes withthr Pistons frontcourt.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#35 » by SD2042 » Tue Mar 9, 2021 9:21 pm

Here's a question with the trade deadline coming up in two weeks, do any of you see a potential deal for the Grizzlies to considering making towards improving any areas of concerns for the long term?
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#36 » by Whole Truth » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:08 am

SD2042 wrote:Here's a question with the trade deadline coming up in two weeks, do any of you see a potential deal for the Grizzlies to considering making towards improving any areas of concerns for the long term?

For me, this Memphis team only needs to find an upgrade on the wing to slot in between & compliment 3J, Ja. So I don't think a trade needs to be forced with the position they're in. It's possible, they could even luck into a top 5 pick, to rush into any decisions at the deadline outside the obvious ageing/expiring contract of Dieng, who's a healthy scratch despite playing well. That issue will only be compounded by 3J's return after the break despite the heavy schedule.

IMO, Memphis has caught a break with the 40 games in 60 days 2nd half. They can effectively use their quality depth in "rest days" on back to backs to fully experiment with lineups & player combinations so when they do make their decisions moving forward, it will be with a significant amount of experimentation & data, unless of course it's a favorable deal... not some late or second round pick. As I've seen tossed out for Jonas & Anderson, who's IMO been Memphis best 2 way player so far this season.

I've also read some Memphis fans throwing around picks targeting Fournier. To me he's Brooks without the defense. A better offensive player that has the same tunnel vision but nowhere near the defense & competitive nature of Brooks. I'd have no interest in Fournier despite Memphis need for an offensive upgrade.

If it's not a reasonable deal for someone like Beal or Lavine, the draft, potentially trading up, is the clear path to upgrading the wing, IMO.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#37 » by VCfor3 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:43 am

SD2042 wrote:Here's a question with the trade deadline coming up in two weeks, do any of you see a potential deal for the Grizzlies to considering making towards improving any areas of concerns for the long term?

I think we try to move Dieng for a 2nd but I'm not sure who actually bites. Maybe to NYK for Noel and the rights to swap 2nds one year?

Slight chance of selling off a depth piece but I doubt it. I think we mostly hold steady.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#38 » by Whole Truth » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:14 pm

A GS moderator on the main board is suggesting Wiseman & the Minnesota pick for Beal.

I still think GS could be a potential trade partner for Memphis. Who have expiring value, quality veteran depth, young quality expendable depth & FRP's, including control over GS's 2024, which looks at a point they will need to rebuild or retool & should want control back of that future. Combined, that value is not as appealing as targeting Beal but there's plenty benefit in it for GS, concerning cap, contention status/win now depth & future considerations ..

Dieng & Winslow are both starting quality role players that give GS veteran depth for a bad contract but are also 30m expiring value to help cut that large tax bill on what is currently a 500 team.

Memphis value wise could offer a young player for addition quality depth/future consideration, in combination with their juicy GS 2024 pick back for either Wiseman or the Minnesota 5-10, 2021 pick.

(Dieng, Winslow 30m expiring, young player, GS 2024) for (Wiggins, Wiseman "or" the Minnesota 21 pick)
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#39 » by VCfor3 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:27 am

There also was a report from a GSW beat writer saying that Wiseman and the MIN pick were off the table except for franchise-level talent. Could be them just doing positive PR for the team, but still something to note.

Also Wiggins, though a terrible contract, has been a serviceable player for GSW so moving him is them losing a decent rotation player. I'm not sure if they will assign him the proper negative value in any potential deal that trading teams will value him as.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#40 » by Whole Truth » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:11 am

VCfor3 wrote:There also was a report from a GSW beat writer saying that Wiseman and the MIN pick were off the table except for franchise-level talent. Could be them just doing positive PR for the team, but still something to note.

Also Wiggins, though a terrible contract, has been a serviceable player for GSW so moving him is them losing a decent rotation player. I'm not sure if they will assign him the proper negative value in any potential deal that trading teams will value him as.

That's fine, Memphis could potentially piggy back a Beal trade.

Memphis trade - (Dieng & Justice 30m expiring, Allen?, Utah 22 top 8, GS 24 top 4) for (Wiggins, Wiseman)

GS trade - (Wiggins, Wiseman, Minnesota pick, +?) for (Beal)

Washington trade - (Beal) for (Dieng, Winslow 30m expiring, Allen?, Minnesota 21 top 4, Utah 22 top 8, GS 24 top 4).

Memphis have several young solid SG options that could be of interest to a team trading away their sg for multiple draft assets, while saving 30m heading into a rebuild .. Or would they prefer Wiggins & Wiseman. Would Memphis have to give up someone like Clarke ?.

I assume that Washington values the Minnesota pick the most, so I've targeted Wiseman who I think would give Memphis a better trade chip to get into the top 5. Between using him or potentially 3J in combination with having their own 21 pick to offer.

Wiseman or 3J + Memphis 21 I would think should be able to get Memphis into the top 5, still leaving Memphis with a good young big man, Wiseman further away from extension than 3J .. who hasn't been apart of this teams current success due to injury.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies