ImageImageImage

Nikola Jokic MVPx2, FMVP, and.. still counting!

Moderator: THE J0KER

GeorgeSears
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,217

Re: Nikola Jokic MVP! 

Post#281 » by GeorgeSears » Wed Mar 3, 2021 11:27 pm

These are the updated NBA MVP odds from Bet365 and they are depressing. For LeBron to have this big of a lead despite getting severely out performed this season by Jokic, and also Embiid, is boggling and really lets you know how sports media can drive narratives.

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#282 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Mar 3, 2021 11:32 pm

GeorgeSears wrote:These are the updated NBA MVP odds from Bet365 and they are depressing. For LeBron to have this big of a lead despite getting severely out performed this season by Jokic, and also Embiid, is boggling and really lets you know how sports media can drive narratives.

and you are surprised? The average fan doesn't form an opinion until they hear from someone on TV - or if not the average fan, at least far too many of them.
GeorgeSears
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,217

Post#283 » by GeorgeSears » Wed Mar 3, 2021 11:37 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
GeorgeSears wrote:These are the updated NBA MVP odds from Bet365 and they are depressing. For LeBron to have this big of a lead despite getting severely out performed this season by Jokic, and also Embiid, is boggling and really lets you know how sports media can drive narratives.

and you are surprised? The average fan doesn't form an opinion until they hear from someone on TV - or if not the average fan, at least far too many of them.

Not surprised, maybe gullible. I expected more from them than I should have. These are "odds" so it's not set in stone, but clearly they have some kind of feeling of how MVP voters are going to vote. No one outside of Colorado seems to watch Nuggets this season with how Jokic's historically great season is being overlooked. That's why It's important for us to make as much noise, even if it's futile, as possible and get him that recognition be it on Twitter or on Forums.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,513

Post#284 » by THE J0KER » Thu Mar 4, 2021 9:50 am

GeorgeSears wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:

Not surprised, maybe gullible. I expected more from them than I should have. These are "odds" so it's not set in stone, but clearly they have some kind of feeling of how MVP voters are going to vote. No one outside of Colorado seems to watch Nuggets this season with how Jokic's historically great season is being overlooked. That's why It's important for us to make as much noise, even if it's futile, as possible and get him that recognition be it on Twitter or on Forums.
No big conspiracy here, LeBron for a reason have the status of the all-time 2nd best NBA player, his Lakers are reigning champions, and just a few days ago Lakers are the #2 seed in West. Conference seeding is traditionally very important for the MVP award race and Denver is WC #7 now which under 2021 rules is not even secured playoff spot (TOP6 qualify for playoff directly, 7-10 fighting for other 2 spots).

After the Nuggets won 3 games in the row and the Lakers lost the last two things are much better today in Jokic's favor than just a week ago. In past almost all MVP winners coming from TOP2 conference seeds, so Denver must be at least TOP4 seed, otherwise I can see Jokic finishing #2 but not #1. But with a good late run, Denver is close to TOP4 status, and with Davis out Lakers down on standings more and more. With Murray continues to play on the all-star level and Porter playing constantly 30+ mpg, I can see clearly we can overtake Lakers and Suns and Blazers and finishing #3 on West (for Utah and Clippers if no injuries I guess its too late already). James is an NBA megastar, and this is probably the last realistic opportunity for him to take the MVP award once again, but the fact that no center winning it in the XXI century is in favor of Jokic and Embiid. This is betting odds where superstars are favorites because casual fans like to bet on them, which means Jokic and Embiid chances are better in reality than this.

Basketball-reference has MVP-tracker based on previous winners, and I like how they currently rate Jokic chances.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#285 » by The Rebel » Thu Mar 4, 2021 2:08 pm

ONe thing to remember on MVP or any other gambling odds, the odds are set to make the oddsmakers money. They know that even with high odds a lot of big market/LA/Lebron fans will bet on Lebron, they also know that outside of Denver fans very few will bet on Jokic unless there is a big payoff.
Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,157

Post#286 » by Mickey8 » Thu Mar 4, 2021 2:24 pm

Its funny how much mainstream media is gloating over Embiids game against Utah, but Jokic had even more impressive game against them , he had two actually , also he had maybe the greatest regular back to back game NBA performances ever and the sport media was pretty much silent, Jokic has no chance winning MVP award even if he would score 40 points per game rest of the season.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,253

Post#287 » by skywalker33 » Fri Mar 5, 2021 12:11 am

With LBJ and the Lakers on a losing streak, his MVP status is waning. Jokic and Embiid are frontrunners IMO, Joel's team has a better record but this isn't about a team, it's about a player. Joel is a better defender, but Jokic is clearly the better all-around player, he has a much better impact on the game.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
Mickey8
Head Coach

Post#288 » by Mickey8 » Fri Mar 5, 2021 3:21 am

Its a half of the season, they give the awards after the season ends , Philadelphia have won just 3 more games than Denver , plus Denver had lots of players in and out line ups all season long.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,253

Post#289 » by skywalker33 » Fri Mar 5, 2021 3:51 am

Mickey8 wrote:Its a half of the season, they give the awards after the season ends , Philadelphia have won just 3 more games than Denver , plus Denver had lots of players in and out line ups all season long.

Plus, PHI has much better players on their roster, anyone who says Jokic shouldn't be the MVP is being ridiculous !
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
U hova
Pro Prospect
And1: 481

Post#290 » by U hova » Fri Mar 5, 2021 12:00 pm

It's no secret that the media voters for the MVP aren't necessarily the smartest guys in the world... there are some super hardcore fans that watch 82x30 games and could tell you who the true MVP is, but only a handful of the hundred voters are probably that.

The rest have other broadcasting duties they have to honor so even if they lived and breathed basketball they need to dedicate their schedule to other things. Especially the ESPN guys are supposed to be knowledgeable for 4 sports in NCAA and pro leagues... do you think this is possible? They are bound to take shortcuts, some surface level skimming, some narrative as icing on the cake.

It's why the MVP usually reflects how many Nationally televised games a guy gets. Maybe there's a chicken and egg thing going on there, but generally the guys who get seen the most are the only guys who are in the discussion.

I have a strong feeling LeBron will win the MVP just because the voters have already made up their minds, but take solace that there is a discussion of who truly deserves it outside of their heads.
slicedbread2
Analyst
And1: 2,714

Post#291 » by slicedbread2 » Sat Mar 6, 2021 3:33 am

The Rebel wrote:ONe thing to remember on MVP or any other gambling odds, the odds are set to make the oddsmakers money. They know that even with high odds a lot of big market/LA/Lebron fans will bet on Lebron, they also know that outside of Denver fans very few will bet on Jokic unless there is a big payoff.

I actually made a bet earlier in the year for Jokic at 14-1 for $50. I didn't put in more b/c the fact that most of the MVP voters will probably get lazy and give it to a player in a big market made me decide that this is what I'd be comfortable with. If it works, it's a nice $750 in my pocket otherwise no harm no foul.

Another factor that should lend Jokic the MVP is that in light of AD getting injured, don't be surprised if LBJ decides to take games off to get healthy as he knows that seeding is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things if you aren't going into the playoffs healthy plus Father time is undefeated and could sneak up on him just like that. Father time's greatest conquest was Tim Duncan and even then he was still a net plus defender from beginning to end.

Embiid to me he has Ben Simmons to work with. Ben Simmons is a free safety on defense in the way Draymond is which allows Embiid to save his energy for offense and what he's done is impressive, but the injury cloud will hover over him and I wouldn't be surprised if Philly chooses to load manage him towards the end of the year to save him up for the playoffs. Gotta give Morey props he turned a hopeless wreck of a team around and made the roster more balanced in spite of Brand and the Colangelo cartel screwing things up.

Jokic has done very well in spite of having to deal with a slew of new players coming onto the team to learn a system in a condensed amount of time along with COVID ravaging multiple teams, Porter in particular and the supporting cast's underwhelming play till recently. What makes Jokic scary to me is that he doesn't look like he's breaking a sweat and he's playing chess out there thinking 2-3 steps ahead of the opponent while being calm mentally. That's a scary player and what makes him more lethal is that he doesn't have a problem letting others go off when the situation calls for it and not too many star players would be willing to do that.

I hope Jokic wins MVP not b/c of my bet, but b/c he's been killing it in all aspects of the game. I'd love to see him and the Nuggets clown the LA teams again and go on a run not seen since Dirk and the Mavericks.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#292 » by THE J0KER » Mon Mar 8, 2021 4:10 am

Once again Nikola doesn't care about his ASG numbers, but the fact is that lineup Jokic-Giannis-Curry-Lillard-Paul makes difference in both halves and they all five have +/- around +20 (Jokic +23) while nobody else over +5.
Maf
Starter
And1: 868

Post#293 » by Maf » Tue Mar 9, 2021 3:28 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
Mickey8 wrote:Its a half of the season, they give the awards after the season ends , Philadelphia have won just 3 more games than Denver , plus Denver had lots of players in and out line ups all season long.

Plus, PHI has much better players on their roster, anyone who says Jokic shouldn't be the MVP is being ridiculous !

Ok, I might be biased because I like our players. But who are those much better players? Like Danny Green and Korkmaz? Because I would never give up Monte for Seth Curry. Would anyone rather had Mike Scott than Green? Well Dwight plays great in his small role, that's for sure.
"I never played a game sober, unfortunately" - Keon Clark

"I've never drunk alcohol socially. I've never took cocain socially. I've never smoked anything socially. I did all of this... to got **** up!" - Ozzy Osbourne
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#294 » by The Rebel » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:23 am

Maf wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:

Ok, I might be biased because I like our players. But who are those much better players? Like Danny Green and Korkmaz? Because I would never give up Monte for Seth Curry. Would anyone rather had Mike Scott than Green? Well Dwight plays great in his small role, that's for sure.

While I consider Murray and Simmons pretty close to a wash, Tobias Harris is better today than anybody outside of Murray and Joker this year. Shake Milton is pretty good as well.
Mickey8
Head Coach

Post#295 » by Mickey8 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:22 pm

Its not just that Sixers are having a better team, but they have healthier team too ( I don't remember Nuggets having a full squad in any game this season, maybe the first couple of games of the season, every player that is in the rotation have missed some games , except Jokic ) and they are playing in a weaker Conference. Plus Embiid's load management. Denver would have been a 4th seed in the East Conference as of right now, three games behind the first seed .
U hova
Pro Prospect

Post#296 » by U hova » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:38 am

The Rebel wrote:While I consider Murray and Simmons pretty close to a wash, Tobias Harris is better today than anybody outside of Murray and Joker this year. Shake Milton is pretty good as well.

If you asked me a month ago I think everyone here and across the world would have taken Simmons, thankfully Murray finally delivered.. but it still stands that Embiid was getting more out of his teammates.
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,534

Post#297 » by Alatan » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:22 am

LeBron potentially wining this MVP will forever tarnish his legacy as being fake and media driven.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#298 » by THE J0KER » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:36 am

According to bookmakers, the 2021 MVP race is turned into a 3-man race already, but currently, all odds are suspended with everyone waiting to see results of Embiid knee MRI after yesterday's injury.

The Lakers big advantage over Denver declines fast with Davis injury pause continues and Nuggets better use of MPJ and all-star shape of Murray, so just two weeks ago Lakers are #2 and Nuggets are #8 on the West, but now we have #3 vs #5 case after Denver won 5 straight.

Jokic's chances look good to me even with biased media.
U hova
Pro Prospect

Post#299 » by U hova » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:59 am

The biased media are the voters though lol

If they tell you before hand who they're going to give it to don't be shocked when they give it to him.
Mickey8
Head Coach

Post#300 » by Mickey8 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:37 pm

Why should Media given the right to chose the MVP :banghead:

Return to Denver Nuggets