Houston Pick

Moderators: Dadouv47, retrobro90

Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Houston Pick 

Post#1 » by Balkman32 » Thu Mar 4, 2021 2:24 pm

The Rockets are on a 13 game loosing streak as their first half of the season came to an end last night. They are 11-23 with the only two teams worse in the standings are the Pistons and the Timberwolves. If the season ended today and the Rockets were one of the 3 worst teams the Thunder would have a 47% chance to receive the Rockets pick (which would land anywhere from 5- 7).

If the Rockets improved in the 2nd half and they are able to be the 5th worse team in the league, then Thunder would have a 57% chance of receiving the Rockets pick (6- 8).

If the Rockets win the #1 pick in the Lottery I wonder how interested they would be in receiving their future picks back in a swap for number 1.

Where does everyone stand on this pick?
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,167

Re: Houston Pick 

Post#2 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Mar 4, 2021 2:28 pm

Even if they finish with the worst record, we still have close to fifty percent odds of getting their pick, so that’s good for us. I don’t think they would trade the pick for anything we could offer except maybe shai.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
thedoppelganger
Senior
And1: 499

Post#3 » by thedoppelganger » Thu Mar 4, 2021 4:09 pm

Having a 60/40 chance at a pick in the 6-8 range (I agree they'll improve in the second half once Wood is back and disgruntled vets that aren't trying are moved) is pretty close to an ideal outcome for us given this was just a throw-in swap that we all initially thought would be the least valuable pick from that trade.

I do want them to win a few more games, not to improve our chances of keeping the pick, but so we end up with a worse record than them. If that could happen, then we would just have a couple remaining teams to catch, as unlikely as that would be with the Pistons and Wolves.

A huge positive to Houston not jumping into the top 4 is that it keeps them from getting a piece that would jumpstart their rebuild, has them likely tanking another year, and makes our 2024 pick they owe us even more valuable.
mr570
Senior
And1: 290

Post#4 » by mr570 » Thu Mar 4, 2021 7:35 pm

Seeing Tillman Fertitta keep the pick and draft Jalen Suggs or Cade first overall would be so freaking infuriating. He runs the franchise with nepotism and poor organizational integrity (letting his son override actual professionals). I don't wish him ill or anything idk... it's complicated.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,017

Post#5 » by Dadouv47 » Fri Mar 5, 2021 4:56 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:Even if they finish with the worst record, we still have close to fifty percent odds of getting their pick, so that’s good for us. I don’t think they would trade the pick for anything we could offer except maybe shai.

yeah not much we can do. They wouldn't even consider taking their future picks and swap back for a top 4 pick from this draft...way too valuable.

Most important coin flip in our draft history...will give us a guy like Jalen Green or a +/- n°20 pick in this draft :(

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder