Re: Blake Griffin, Pistons Agree To Buyout With Lakers, Clippers, Nets, Heat, Warriors Interested

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Blake Griffin, Pistons Agree To Buyout With Lakers, Clippers, Nets, Heat, Warriors Interested 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Mar 5, 2021 5:15 pm

The Detroit Pistons and Blake Griffin have agreed to a contract buyout.

Griffin will become a free agent and Marc Stein reports the Los Angeles Lakers, Los Angeles Clippers, Brooklyn Nets, Miami Heat and Golden State Warriors have expressed interest in him when he clears waivers.

The Pistons traded for Griffin in 2018 months after he signed a max contract with the Clippers.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

Liam_Gallagher
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,956

Re: Blake Griffin, Pistons Agree To Buyout With Lakers, Clippers, Nets, Heat, Warriors Interested 

Post#2 » by Liam_Gallagher » Fri Mar 5, 2021 5:19 pm

The Lakers would be ridiculous with Griffin. Him on the Nets sounds more fair.

G - Shroder/Caruso
G - KCP/THT
F - James/Kuz
F - Davis/Blake
C - Gasol/TREZ
Tha Cynic
RealGM
And1: 24,384

Post#3 » by Tha Cynic » Fri Mar 5, 2021 5:23 pm

Liam_Gallagher wrote:The Lakers would be ridiculous with Griffin. Him on the Nets sounds more fair.

G - Shroder/Caruso
G - KCP/THT
F - James/Kuz
F - Davis/Blake
C - Gasol/TREZ

Of course these teams are interested. What a joke of a league.
Kobe Bryant:You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 233

Post#4 » by tigerae » Fri Mar 5, 2021 5:33 pm

Liam_Gallagher wrote:The Lakers would be ridiculous with Griffin. Him on the Nets sounds more fair.

G - Shroder/Caruso
G - KCP/THT
F - James/Kuz
F - Davis/Blake
C - Gasol/TREZ
I would be starting Griffin. Gasol just looks old and slow with the Lakers.
yava
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#5 » by yava » Fri Mar 5, 2021 5:35 pm

G - Shroder/Caruso
G - KCP/THT
F - James/Kuz
F - Davis/Blake
C - Gasol/TREZ

I don't think he would fit in with the Lakers to be honest. He is at the end of his career it seems like. After all the injuries he has declined FAST and he just isn't that same player anymore. Lakers need an inside presence that can defend the paint, rebound and block shots. That's one of their weaknesses this year ever since JaVale McGee and Dwight Howard left. Blake Griffin was never a great defender and I just don't see what his role would even be.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,234

Re: Re: Blake Griffin, Pistons Agree To Buyout With Lakers, Clippers, Nets, Heat, Warriors Interested 

Post#6 » by Blue_and_Whte » Fri Mar 5, 2021 5:37 pm

Omg so surprised one of the already stacked teams is going to get him. Our 3 team league is fun to watch. Parity everyone.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
Risk Addict
Analyst
And1: 236

Post#7 » by Risk Addict » Fri Mar 5, 2021 5:54 pm

Does anyone have ability to claim him off waivers with cap space/trade exceptions. That would be awesome if Lakers and Nets didn't even have the option to get him.

If someone is bought out, do they still go to the waiver route? Is the remaining salary the waiver amount a team has to have as cap space to sign or is it the original amount?
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,373

Post#8 » by Billl » Fri Mar 5, 2021 6:01 pm

Kinda funny how Blake went from "toast, the guy can't play anymore" to "damn, it's so unfair that a great team is going to add someone as good as blake for nothing."
Knickstape7
Freshman
And1: 8

Post#9 » by Knickstape7 » Fri Mar 5, 2021 6:05 pm

I can already see all the bronsexuals cry if he goes there
Billl wrote:Kinda funny how Blake went from "toast, the guy can't play anymore" to "damn, it's so unfair that a great team is going to add someone as good as blake for nothing."
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 516

Post#10 » by TheCage4 » Fri Mar 5, 2021 6:15 pm

I don’t think Griffin makes much of a difference wherever he lands. I wish him the best, and maybe he has some left in the tank, but a career based on athleticism that’s been derailed by injury most likely ends in a whisper, not a bang.

I do feel though that the league needs to address situations like this where only the contenders are in the running to sign players who are bought out.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,692

Post#11 » by madmaxmedia » Fri Mar 5, 2021 6:32 pm

Billl wrote:Kinda funny how Blake went from "toast, the guy can't play anymore" to "damn, it's so unfair that a great team is going to add someone as good as blake for nothing."

It's just different posters with different opinions on Blake as a player right now.

It's actually not surprising that the top superstar driven teams are interested. They are all pretty top heavy because that's the sacrifice they've made to land multiple superstars, so someone like Blake at least superficially might plug up one of the holes. Someone will give it a try, but I doubt he will be part of any playoff rotation. How is he gonna defend anyone in the playoffs, much less make a positive contribution on offense with his average/subpar shooting?

I do wish him the best and hope he proves me wrong.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,692

Post#12 » by madmaxmedia » Fri Mar 5, 2021 6:36 pm

TheCage4 wrote:I don’t think Griffin makes much of a difference wherever he lands. I wish him the best, and maybe he has some left in the tank, but a career based on athleticism that’s been derailed by injury most likely ends in a whisper, not a bang.

I do feel though that the league needs to address situations like this where only the contenders are in the running to sign players who are bought out.

In cases like this where the parting is mutually desired (and I do believe that was the case here), I don't think there's any problem whatsoever. But when it involves say a vet who makes noise and tries to initiate a buyout himself in order to join a contender, that is problematic.
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#13 » by 12footrim » Fri Mar 5, 2021 7:45 pm

I'm really interested in learning how much money he walked away from to make this happen.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
Theo Ratliff
Pro Prospect
And1: 718

Post#14 » by Theo Ratliff » Sat Mar 6, 2021 12:08 am

I don't know why he took a buyout to go win as a 4th or 5th wheel. It does nothing for his legacy which is pretty much non existent.
the13thjoker
Sophomore
And1: 30

Post#15 » by the13thjoker » Sat Mar 6, 2021 6:34 am

12footrim wrote:I'm really interested in learning how much money he walked away from to make this happen.

13.3 million
Salty1
Senior
And1: 81

Post#16 » by Salty1 » Sat Mar 6, 2021 11:04 am

12footrim wrote:I'm really interested in learning how much money he walked away from to make this happen.

He was about to ruin his career. If he has a solid year he may be able to trick a team into signing him to a long term deal following the season. If he didn't buy out, he would have had to prove it next year on that Piston squad.

Return to Wiretap Discussion