ImageImageImageImageImage

Bradley Beal - Part III

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Re: Bradley Beal - Part III 

Post#1561 » by prime1time » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:48 am

If we continue winning, Beal we be an all-nba first team guard.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#1562 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:35 pm

That third quarter was Jordan-esque.

He was unstoppable and scored in every way imaginable.

AND he played defense.

First the first time, he’s looking like a guy you build around.
In Rizzo we trust
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#1563 » by tontoz » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:42 pm

Beal has really been putting on a show, an all time season for the wizards/ bullets.

:bowdown:
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
jangles86
Starter
And1: 939

Post#1564 » by jangles86 » Mon Mar 1, 2021 9:41 pm

The 46 point showing against Celtics has put Beals PPG number into the top 20 of all time single season PPG records.
He’s now going at 33.2ppg which places him 19th in the record books.

Of current active NBA players this is 3rd all time behind James Hardens 2019-2020 (34.3ppg) & 2018-2019 (36.1ppg) seasons where Harden finished 2nd & 3rd in the mvp.

Next on the list to pass for Brad is the 65-66’ season of Wilt (33.53ppg) and the 89-90’ season of MJ (33.57ppg).
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#1565 » by tontoz » Mon Mar 1, 2021 10:03 pm

And he is doing in with a 60% TS even though his 3 pt % is the lowest of his career.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#1566 » by queridiculo » Mon Mar 1, 2021 10:40 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:That third quarter was Jordan-esque.

He was unstoppable and scored in every way imaginable.

AND he played defense.

First the first time, he’s looking like a guy you build around.

For the first time?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Post#1567 » by nate33 » Sat Mar 6, 2021 4:56 am

Interesting article about Beal from Mike Prada:

Read on Twitter

At one point in the article, he linked to this:

12 reps at 415 pounds!
:o
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,353

Post#1568 » by Kanyewest » Sat Mar 6, 2021 5:39 am

nate33 wrote:Interesting article about Beal from Mike Prada:

Read on Twitter

At one point in the article, he linked to this:

12 reps at 415 pounds!

I'm still going to compare Beal to Ray Allen because Allen could do that reverse layup.

Also this
;ab
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,352

Post#1569 » by doclinkin » Sat Mar 6, 2021 5:28 pm

That quick jump is harder to defend from another standpoint: by rule the defender has to give an attacker space to land if they have left their feet before the defender slides into position. His early leap makes blocking calls out of potential charges taken.

As Beal quit sugar and worked to improve his strength and durability, he has committed to creating contact instead of pulling up early to avoid it. He went from a .167 Ftr --shooting one free throw for every 8 shots, to a .352 rate, ie, better than one FT shot for every three shots taken. He's now earning >8 FTs per 36 minutes. That's creeping towards prime Hibachi territory, not there yet, but getting there. The hopeful sign is that he has increased his FT attempts by working on skills every offseason, adding new wrinkles to build a complete offensive tool kid of pull ups floaters stepbacks, etc. Beal doesn't just employ that short range teleport leap going towards the basket but in his sidestep and stepback game.

Better still, he maximizes those attempts by capitalizing on thiose free points at a 90% rate at the stripe. This is evidence of how hard he does work on his game, it is extremely rare in professional players that they significantly improve their FT shooting. Most players have a routine and habit they use at the FT stripe and they don't change it. Beal's improved conditioning helps, as does his confidence, but to climb from a 76% shooter to a 90% shooter is a significant change. It affects how teams defend you late in games as the most active defenders will be in foul trouble. Teams begin to crowd the lane instead of fencing off the 3 point line, and then suddenly Bertans hits a string of 3's and opponent leads evaporate. Notice how Bertans shoots better late in games, and wonder why.

This team scores best when Beal and Russ attack early, softening up the defense, then the outside shot begins to open up.

Additionally Beal I think takes full advantage of our analytics crew, making adjustments in halftime as well as any player in the league. No matter how he played inn the first half it always seems like in the 2nd half he attacks exactly where the opponent is weakest. This among all of the above is what bodes well for Beal's longevity in this league (knock wood). He is never the biggest and most athletic guy on the court, but he is leading the league in scoring based on smarts, efficient play, hard work and savvy. I just hope he would take a bunch of guys under his win each offseason and bring them to train with him under Drew Hanlen. Deni could add a left hand. Rui could develop low post footwork. TBJ could develop his handle for a dribble drive attack. Any player who took the example of Beal's hard work, could grow and build and excel. All it takes is desire and drive and focus and being an all around good guy with the willpower and drive of a shaolin monk. That's all. You know. If they had the willpower and dedication and a master teacher, basically anybody could be, you know, Batman.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,158

Post#1570 » by AFM » Sat Mar 6, 2021 5:41 pm

Any thoughts from WizD on Beal’s deep hip movement, etc?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1571 » by nate33 » Sat Mar 6, 2021 5:41 pm

doclinkin wrote:Additionally Beal I think takes full advantage of our analytics crew, making adjustments in halftime as well as any player in the league. No matter how he played inn the first half it always seems like in the 2nd half he attacks exactly where the opponent is weakest.

I'm glad you brought this up. Because it's not only Beal. I feel like in almost every game during the recent winning stretch, the team has fallen significantly behind at some point in the first half, only to chip away at the lead and ultimately pull away in the 2nd. Somebody in this coaching staff is doing a great job at halftime adjustments (and arguably a poor job at pre-game strategy).
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#1572 » by doclinkin » Sat Mar 6, 2021 5:46 pm

nate33 wrote:
doclinkin wrote:Additionally Beal I think takes full advantage of our analytics crew, making adjustments in halftime as well as any player in the league. No matter how he played inn the first half it always seems like in the 2nd half he attacks exactly where the opponent is weakest.

I'm glad you brought this up. Because it's not only Beal. I feel like in almost every game during the recent winning stretch, the team has fallen significantly behind at some point in the first half, only to chip away at the lead and ultimately pull away in the 2nd. Somebody in this coaching staff is doing a great job at halftime adjustments (and arguably a poor job at pre-game strategy).

I think it is mostly Beal. As he goes on a tear, it opens up play for other players. I don't have splits for before/after halftime, but I notice Beal in particular scores early and fast in the 2nd half. I suspect it is assistants since Brooks has been called out by former Wizards scouts as being the least prepared coach in the league going into games. I'd bet Beal huddles with the film/analytics guys at half time to figure out what he can do better, then goes on the attack. The Wiz have spent a ton of $$$ on in game cameras and software, Dean Oliver developed this sort of software for the NFL even, I would bet real $ that this is where it is paying dividends.
Kanyewest
General Manager

Post#1573 » by Kanyewest » Sat Mar 6, 2021 10:45 pm

doclinkin wrote:

That quick jump is harder to defend from another standpoint: by rule the defender has to give an attacker space to land if they have left their feet before the defender slides into position. His early leap makes blocking calls out of potential charges taken.

As Beal quit sugar and worked to improve his strength and durability, he has committed to creating contact instead of pulling up early to avoid it. He went from a .167 Ftr --shooting one free throw for every 8 shots, to a .352 rate, ie, better than one FT shot for every three shots taken. He's now earning >8 FTs per 36 minutes. That's creeping towards prime Hibachi territory, not there yet, but getting there. The hopeful sign is that he has increased his FT attempts by working on skills every offseason, adding new wrinkles to build a complete offensive tool kid of pull ups floaters stepbacks, etc. Beal doesn't just employ that short range teleport leap going towards the basket but in his sidestep and stepback game.

Better still, he maximizes those attempts by capitalizing on thiose free points at a 90% rate at the stripe. This is evidence of how hard he does work on his game, it is extremely rare in professional players that they significantly improve their FT shooting. Most players have a routine and habit they use at the FT stripe and they don't change it. Beal's improved conditioning helps, as does his confidence, but to climb from a 76% shooter to a 90% shooter is a significant change. It affects how teams defend you late in games as the most active defenders will be in foul trouble. Teams begin to crowd the lane instead of fencing off the 3 point line, and then suddenly Bertans hits a string of 3's and opponent leads evaporate. Notice how Bertans shoots better late in games, and wonder why.

This team scores best when Beal and Russ attack early, softening up the defense, then the outside shot begins to open up.

Additionally Beal I think takes full advantage of our analytics crew, making adjustments in halftime as well as any player in the league. No matter how he played inn the first half it always seems like in the 2nd half he attacks exactly where the opponent is weakest. This among all of the above is what bodes well for Beal's longevity in this league (knock wood). He is never the biggest and most athletic guy on the court, but he is leading the league in scoring based on smarts, efficient play, hard work and savvy. I just hope he would take a bunch of guys under his win each offseason and bring them to train with him under Drew Hanlen. Deni could add a left hand. Rui could develop low post footwork. TBJ could develop his handle for a dribble drive attack. Any player who took the example of Beal's hard work, could grow and build and excel. All it takes is desire and drive and focus and being an all around good guy with the willpower and drive of a shaolin monk. That's all. You know. If they had the willpower and dedication and a master teacher, basically anybody could be, you know, Batman.

Beal did say recently that he doesn't like analytics. Maybe Beal is throwing everyone off the scent and looking at advanced stats.

"Honestly, I'm not an analytical guy. I say F the analytics, just go hoop," [Beal] said.

That may be surprising to some, especially given Beal happens to show up well in advanced statistics. He's an efficient player who makes a lot of threes.

https://sports.yahoo.com/bradley-beal-says-2017-version-204504167.html
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#1574 » by doclinkin » Sat Mar 6, 2021 11:34 pm

Ok I'm wrong then. Maybe he himself is doing the recalculations. Figuring where he needs to adjust.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,971

Post#1575 » by DCZards » Sun Mar 7, 2021 12:11 am

A few years ago the analytics folks were torching Beal for his overreliance on the midrange game. Now, he’s getting the last laugh.

This is from a recent Fred Katz article on BB’s midrange shooting:

Beal is shooting a career-best 51.6% on those. Kevin Durant and Chris Paul are the only two perimeter players this year with comparable MR proficiency.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1576 » by nate33 » Sun Mar 7, 2021 12:43 am

Kanyewest wrote: Beal did say recently that he doesn't like analytics. Maybe Beal is throwing everyone off the scent and looking at advanced stats.

"Honestly, I'm not an analytical guy. I say F the analytics, just go hoop," [Beal] said.

That may be surprising to some, especially given Beal happens to show up well in advanced statistics. He's an efficient player who makes a lot of threes.

That doesn't mean that analytics guys on the coaching staff can't look at what the other team is doing defensively and tell Beal and Brooks at halftime what the possible counters are.

Mostly, when players and coaches say they don't do analytics, all it means is that they're less averse to long 2's than the nerds say they should be. To some degree, I think there's validity to that. Most defenses bend over backwards to take away the three and the at-rim stuff. A team that is already comfortable in midrange, tends to not get as disrupted by better defenses in the playoffs. It's why guys like Kawhi, Chris Paul, and Butler can thrive in the playoffs, and guys like Harden and Paul George often underperform.
Kanyewest
General Manager

Post#1577 » by Kanyewest » Sun Mar 7, 2021 2:28 am

nate33 wrote:
Kanyewest wrote: Beal did say recently that he doesn't like analytics. Maybe Beal is throwing everyone off the scent and looking at advanced stats.

That doesn't mean that analytics guys on the coaching staff can't look at what the other team is doing defensively and tell Beal and Brooks at halftime what the possible counters are.

Mostly, when players and coaches say they don't do analytics, all it means is that they're less averse to long 2's than the nerds say they should be. To some degree, I think there's validity to that. Most defenses bend over backwards to take away the three and the at-rim stuff. A team that is already comfortable in midrange, tends to not get as disrupted by better defenses in the playoffs. It's why guys like Kawhi, Chris Paul, and Butler can thrive in the playoffs, and guys like Harden and Paul George often underperform.

Weird thing is Paul George was a 46.7% mid range shooter in Indiana https://www.nba.com/stats/players/shooting/?Season=2016-17&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&DistanceRange=By%20Zone&sort=Mid-Range%20FGA&dir=1

PG13 takes half those attempts now (around the same as Jimmy Butler) but is now a 48.9% mid range shooter https://www.nba.com/stats/players/shooting/?Season=2020-21&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&DistanceRange=By%20Zone&sort=Mid-Range%20FGA&dir=1

Probably more to do with the fact that Paul George just come short in the playoffs for whatever the reason (playing in the bubble, injuries, pressure)
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager

Post#1578 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Mon Mar 8, 2021 1:15 am

Remind me to never invite KD to serve as GM.

You couldn’t have possibly chosen a more un even matchup. Team Lebron arguably has the five best players in the world.

Team Durant has Kawhi and the Beard
In Rizzo we trust
Kanyewest
General Manager

Post#1579 » by Kanyewest » Mon Mar 8, 2021 4:42 am

Without KD and Joel Embiid the game became even more lopsided.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager

Post#1580 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Mon Mar 8, 2021 1:24 pm

Props to Beal. A very quiet 26 pts... and he didn’t shoot like every time he had the ball unlike some other St. Louis native who will go unnamed.

One last thought. Steph Curry is ridiculous. He plays pop a shot from half court. Amazing
In Rizzo we trust

Return to Washington Wizards