Blake Griffin Gave Up $13.3M In Buyout With Pistons

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Blake Griffin Gave Up $13.3M In Buyout With Pistons 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Mar 6, 2021 1:47 pm

Blake Griffin gave up $13.3 million in his buyout with the Detroit Pistons in order to become a free agent.

Griffin will clear waivers on Sunday and will likely sign with the Brooklyn Nets.

Griffin will have the opportunity to make back that money depending on the type of contract he signs as a free agent during the 2021 offseason.

Vincent Goodwill of Yahoo! Sports reports that $4.3 million in cap space will be applied to Detroit's number for 20-21 and $8.7 million for 21-22.

Via Shams Charania/The Athletic

TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 515

Re: Blake Griffin Gave Up $13.3M In Buyout With Pistons 

Post#2 » by TheCage4 » Sat Mar 6, 2021 2:19 pm

Unless Griffin “wows” with whom ever he signs with this season, that $13.3 million is gone.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
objectivefan
Junior
And1: 66

Post#3 » by objectivefan » Sat Mar 6, 2021 6:38 pm

Knowing that Blake already got paid, why would any team offer more than the veteran's minimum?
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 233

Post#4 » by tigerae » Sat Mar 6, 2021 8:03 pm

objectivefan wrote:Knowing that Blake already got paid, why would any team offer more than the veteran's minimum?
The same reason anyone else would offer more to free agents in general. To try to get them to come to their team instead of going elsewhere.

Since he did get paid, it is very unlikely that he would really consider slightly higher offers unless they are way more than the minimum, say double or more. He seems more interested in going to a contender.

This is where I think some players mess up. I understand trying to get a championship, but in his situation where he is only 31 he should look at two things and not just one. Going to a contender should be one of the things but the other should be best chance to revive his career so that he can play another 4 or more years in the league. Going to a team that sits him on the bench and doesn't give him a good shot at starting and being at least say 3rd or 4th option could be a big mistake.
kombayn
Assistant Coach
And1: 746

Post#5 » by kombayn » Sat Mar 6, 2021 8:29 pm

tigerae wrote:
objectivefan wrote:Knowing that Blake already got paid, why would any team offer more than the veteran's minimum?
The same reason anyone else would offer more to free agents in general. To try to get them to come to their team instead of going elsewhere.

Since he did get paid, it is very unlikely that he would really consider slightly higher offers unless they are way more than the minimum, say double or more. He seems more interested in going to a contender.

This is where I think some players mess up. I understand trying to get a championship, but in his situation where he is only 31 he should look at two things and not just one. Going to a contender should be one of the things but the other should be best chance to revive his career so that he can play another 4 or more years in the league. Going to a team that sits him on the bench and doesn't give him a good shot at starting and being at least say 3rd or 4th option could be a big mistake.

I don't think he was happy in his situation in Detroit. He had a good couple years but I think he realized when they signed Grant and the awful coaching that it got depressing for him. He gave up A LOT of money to leave. I'm sure he knows his role on any future team. If the Nets get him... Yikes. Their already too good.
Rek
Senior
And1: 128

Post#6 » by Rek » Sat Mar 6, 2021 10:16 pm

The whole "He got paid" thing is the only reason that a former allstar is available on the market for cheap.
carnageta
Veteran
And1: 6,952

Post#7 » by carnageta » Sat Mar 6, 2021 11:57 pm

Wouldn't mind him going to Phoenix. Little CP3 reunion.

Would fit in well behind Paul and Booker. Could teach Ayton a thing or to as well.

Phoenix was once known to revive careers (Grant Hill, Shaq, etc). Maybe Blake can be next on that list.
440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#8 » by 440BB » Sun Mar 7, 2021 1:42 am

tigerae wrote:

Blake's left knee won't hold up much longer. He's going for a chance to get a ring before he has to retire. His days as a starter on a competitive team are behind him.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
puja21
Bench Warmer
And1: 187

Post#9 » by puja21 » Sun Mar 7, 2021 4:29 am

440BB wrote:
tigerae wrote:

^this

market determines the salary, not "how much anyone has or has not already earned"

Return to Wiretap Discussion