Moderators: Dadouv47, retrobro90

ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,168

Re: 2020-21 Around The NBA Thread 

Post#361 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Mar 1, 2021 11:11 am

jake_swivel wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m surprised houston offered an extension.

That would have been a very tradeable contract.

I don’t think I would pay oladipo that much based upon how he’s performed this year. He’s not been very good.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,018

Post#362 » by Dadouv47 » Mon Mar 1, 2021 12:00 pm

Yeah just hope Houston won't get any good offer for Dipo so he stays and try to upgrade his value for his next contract...Houston is tanking but don't think they care if they end up with 3rd or 5th worst record.

But we need a good Wall/Dipo/Wood combo for Houston to win games. The rest of their team is so bad.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#363 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Mar 1, 2021 12:55 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:Yeah just hope Houston won't get any good offer for Dipo so he stays and try to upgrade his value for his next contract...Houston is tanking but don't think they care if they end up with 3rd or 5th worst record.

But we need a good Wall/Dipo/Wood combo for Houston to win games. The rest of their team is so bad.

Even if Houston finishes with the worst record in the league, it's almost a coin flip that we get their pick.

bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Post#364 » by jake_swivel » Mon Mar 1, 2021 1:04 pm

The positive thing is that wood is really good. They can’t hold him out the whole season on a sprained ankle. And dipo in a contract year ain’t gonna tank.
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer

Post#365 » by jake_swivel » Mon Mar 1, 2021 1:08 pm

Read on Twitter
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#366 » by Dadouv47 » Mon Mar 1, 2021 1:17 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:Yeah just hope Houston won't get any good offer for Dipo so he stays and try to upgrade his value for his next contract...Houston is tanking but don't think they care if they end up with 3rd or 5th worst record.

Even if Houston finishes with the worst record in the league, it's almost a coin flip that we get their pick.

As a former poker player, I hate to bet a big part of my bankroll on a flip :(

That flip is really really big because drafting a 5-7 guy instead of +/-20 is huge, even more considering the fact that our window is short with SGA improving faster than I thought.

Also if they keep their pick, we get 25% less chances to have a top 4 pick so it's quite ugly if that happen.

There's not much we can do though...just be lucky.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#367 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Mar 1, 2021 1:34 pm

Spoiler:
Dadouv47 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:

That flip is really really big because drafting a 5-7 guy instead of +/-20 is huge, even more considering the fact that our window is short with SGA improving faster than I thought.

Also if they keep their pick, we get 25% less chances to have a top 4 pick so it's quite ugly if that happen.

You are wanting to secure things we have no control over. The whole system is a lottery. We are never going to approach that night having complete control over what happens. Worrying too much about Houston or Miami is really a waste of time.

Also, I don't think everyone after the top five will be a bust. Do yourself a favor and go back and look at past drafts and see how good players are found at different spots.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#368 » by Dadouv47 » Mon Mar 1, 2021 1:42 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Spoiler:
Dadouv47 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:Even if Houston finishes with the worst record in the league, it's almost a coin flip that we get their pick.

You are wanting to secure things we have no control over. The whole system is a lottery. We are never going to approach that night having complete control over what happens. Worrying too much about Houston or Miami is really a waste of time.

Also, I don't think everyone after the top five will be a bust. Do yourself a favor and go back and look at past drafts and see how good players are found at different spots.

You are obviously right but it's still about odds of those 5 first guys becoming future stars versus the other prospects that aren't that impressive. If we compare this draft to the 2003 draft (as mentioned many times by some experts) we better be in the top 5 :lol:
But yeah of course we can draft a future HOF with any pick...
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#369 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Mar 1, 2021 2:06 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
Spoiler:
Dadouv47 wrote:

You are obviously right but it's still about odds of those 5 first guys becoming future stars versus the other prospects that aren't that impressive. If we compare this draft to the 2003 draft (as mentioned many times by some experts) we better be in the top 5 :lol:

If you had told me before the season that Houston's pick would come down to a coin flip for a top 5 guy or we could give a pick around 14-20, I would have taken the first option. It's possible that we lose the Houston pick, get worse than a top five pick for our own and the Miami pick isn't very good. The odds of us getting picks 1 & 5 are also pretty low. The only thing worth worrying about is our own pick, imo.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#370 » by Dadouv47 » Mon Mar 1, 2021 2:20 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
Spoiler:

If you had told me before the season that Houston's pick would come down to a coin flip for a top 5 guy or we could give a pick around 14-20, I would have taken the first option. It's possible that we lose the Houston pick, get worse than a top five pick for our own and the Miami pick isn't very good. The odds of us getting picks 1 & 5 are also pretty low. The only thing worth worrying about is our own pick, imo.

yeah fair enough :) Still a pretty good spot

Wouldn't believe you if you told me OKC had the 9th worst record after half of the season though :banghead:
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#371 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Mar 1, 2021 2:28 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:

yeah fair enough :) Still a pretty good spot

Wouldn't believe you if you told me OKC had the 9th worst record after half of the season though :banghead:

Agreed but it's a bit deceptive. We can be exactly where we need to be in a couple of games. We still have plenty of time to right (or wrong) the ship.
thedoppelganger
Senior
And1: 499

Post#372 » by thedoppelganger » Mon Mar 1, 2021 9:43 pm

Not too surprising given the stories that have come out so far this year + the expectations coming into the season
Read on Twitter
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#373 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Mar 1, 2021 9:51 pm

thedoppelganger wrote:Not too surprising given the stories that have come out so far this year + the expectations coming into the season
Read on Twitter

I don't think it's completely his fault because they've had a lot of injuries. Like you said, this isn't surprising. I don't follow the hawks close enough to know if he's a good coach or not.
thedoppelganger
Senior

Post#374 » by thedoppelganger » Fri Mar 5, 2021 5:02 pm

Can't wait to see this buyout number, really surprised
Read on Twitter
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#375 » by Dadouv47 » Fri Mar 5, 2021 8:53 pm

A buy out was the only option. Terrible contract and no reason for the Pistons to give up FRPs.

Sick that he will join the Nets...I badly want them to fail :(
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#376 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Mar 7, 2021 3:14 am

Read on Twitter
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer

Post#377 » by jake_swivel » Sun Mar 7, 2021 5:21 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yeah, OK. :roll:
thedoppelganger
Senior

Post#378 » by thedoppelganger » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:19 am

Horford seems like he’d fit in with the Spurs..but that’s a pipe dream
Read on Twitter
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#379 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:21 am

thedoppelganger wrote:Horford seems like he’d fit in with the Spurs..but that’s a pipe dream
Read on Twitter

The spurs do love old guys. They gave Gasol that ridiculous contract. They held on to Aldridge too long.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#380 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:58 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder