ImageImageImage

2020-2021 College Basketball / NBA Draft

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,675

Re: 2020-2021 College Basketball / NBA Draft 

Post#201 » by stormi » Fri Mar 5, 2021 3:49 am

Chris Duarte outta Oregon is an old man I really like. Older than Pritchard is now, but long limbed and very alert defensively with steals and blocks. Stroke looks pure and has some dribble ability. Would absolutely select in the 25-30 range.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,104

Post#202 » by Kobblehead » Fri Mar 5, 2021 4:13 am

stormi wrote:Chris Duarte outta Oregon is an old man I really like. Older than Pritchard is now, but long limbed and very alert defensively with steals and blocks. Stroke looks pure and has some dribble ability. Would absolutely select in the 25-30 range.

My thing with Duarte is, why did he only average 12.9 ppg as a 22 year old in college last year?

His traits are great, but not breaking out until he's a 23 year old senior makes me leery of taking him in the first round.

If we're going to take an upperclassman, I'd rather take a guy like Dosunmu, who was drafteable after every season he had in college.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,675

Post#203 » by stormi » Fri Mar 5, 2021 4:28 am

Kobblehead wrote:
stormi wrote:Chris Duarte outta Oregon is an old man I really like. Older than Pritchard is now, but long limbed and very alert defensively with steals and blocks. Stroke looks pure and has some dribble ability. Would absolutely select in the 25-30 range.

My thing with Duarte is, why did he only average 12.9 ppg as a 22 year old in college last year?

His traits are great, but not breaking out until he's a 23 year old senior makes me leery of taking him in the first round.

If we're going to take an upperclassman, I'd rather take a guy like Dosunmu, who was drafteable after every season he had in college.

I like Dosunmu too, but Duarte's height/wingspan and defensive potential make him a lot more interesting to me. It could be the classic case of the super senior splits boost, but his underlying metrics were also strong last year and his shooting stroke is fluid and he can hit them off the bounce. He doesn't get to the free throw line enough for me to think big time scorer upside, but...

Read on Twitter

He could be a Lonzo-at-home type of pickup (no playmaking).

btw:

He is one of just five players (since 2008) with a BPM of 10 or higher plus a STL and BLK rate of 3 or higher while shooting 40%+ from three point range (min. 25 attempts). The other four? Otto Porter Jr., Danny Green, Gary Clark and Taurean Prince.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#204 » by Kobblehead » Sat Mar 6, 2021 3:17 pm

I would love Duarte in the 2nd round. Taking him in the 20s is just a little too soon for my liking. I'd be honed in on an underclassman creator with that pick.

Duarte offers some serious plug and play traits, though. The defense and shooting range are pretty instant translators, assuming he has enough strength on his 6'6" 190 pound frame.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#205 » by Kobblehead » Sat Mar 6, 2021 7:32 pm

Bouknight is balling right now!
cksdayoff
RealGM
And1: 3,636

Post#206 » by cksdayoff » Sat Mar 6, 2021 9:29 pm

there's this kid at Davidson, averaging 14 a game, shoots like 44% from 3, HyunJoong Lee. Really good form, quick release, around 6'8", 210. I think he could go in the first round after his sophomore season. shooting 50/44/90. He would look good next a Ben Simmons and this offense

highlights and lowlights from the latest game george mason vs davidson, a10 tourney

#failforfultz
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#207 » by LloydFree » Sun Mar 7, 2021 12:27 am

Negrodamus wrote:

Can I get partial credit if Saben Lee becomes a legit guard in the league? He's been averaging 14, 4ast and 2reb the past 5 games with two 20 point performances.

I always thought he was a sneaky good 2nd round pick, who didn't get the hype he deserved. He's legitimate and Killian Hayes has a problem to deal with when he gets back.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#208 » by LloydFree » Sun Mar 7, 2021 1:53 pm

Cade Cunningham will likely be the #1 pick, and may even win Rookie of the year, but Evan Mobley will be the better player by year 3.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#209 » by Kobblehead » Sun Mar 7, 2021 2:32 pm

Personally, I don't agree. I think teams that take bigmen over creators at the top of the draft ALWAYS regret it. The big has to be a Davis/Embiid level defender to justify it. I don't think Mobley is. I don't even think Mobley is as good a defensive prospect as fellow Trojan, Okongwu, was last year.

I don't think Cade will have competition for #1 and I'm certain the team that takes Mobley over Suggs is going to be kicking themselves in the years that come.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#210 » by LloydFree » Sun Mar 7, 2021 3:16 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Personally, I don't agree. I think teams that take bigmen over creators at the top of the draft ALWAYS regret it. The big has to be a Davis/Embiid level defender to justify it. I don't think Mobley is. I don't even think Mobley is as good a defensive prospect as fellow Trojan, Okongwu, was last year.

I don't think Cade will have competition for #1 and I'm certain the team that takes Mobley over Suggs is going to be kicking themselves in the years that come.

I think Suggs is more NBA ready than Mobley and will definitely have the better rookie year. Mobley will be useless in his 1st year, and everybody will think he's a bust, but by year 3, when his body is more mature, he's going to be legit. Mobley is a bigger bust risk, but I think he has more potential to be a superstar than Suggs.

Guys that skinny, (Durant, Nowitzki, Ingram) always look bad the 1st year. But Mobley runs too well (for a 7 footer) and is too skilled to not be a player.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#211 » by Kobblehead » Sun Mar 7, 2021 3:51 pm

I have no doubt he'll be productive, I just don't see him offering much beyond what guys like Marvin Bagley and John Collins give you, offensively. I do not view Mobley as a guy that can create off the dribble and there's no immediate signs of jumpshot range.

Personally, I need the frontcourt player to be special, defensively, to be worth taking over creators.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#212 » by LloydFree » Sun Mar 7, 2021 3:59 pm

Kobblehead wrote:I have no doubt he'll be productive, I just don't see him offering much beyond what guys like Marvin Bagley and John Collins give you, offensively. I do not view Mobley as a guy that can create off the dribble and there's no immediate signs of jumpshot range.

Personally, I need the frontcourt player to be special, defensively, to be worth taking over creators.

Mobley is way more skilled than Bagley or John Collins. They're not in the same zip code. I could see Mobley being a better passing Chris Bosh, IF his body catches up
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#213 » by Kobblehead » Sun Mar 7, 2021 4:11 pm

In terms of non-creating frontcourt players, I'd rather have Jalen Johnson.

Far better rebounder, defender, passer.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#214 » by LloydFree » Sun Mar 7, 2021 4:13 pm

How is it possible that 6'10, Isaiah Todd is not on anyone's draft board?

He's a much better prospect than his teammate, Dasean Nix.

Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#215 » by Kobblehead » Sun Mar 7, 2021 4:29 pm

Todd is cool, some Jaren Jackson to his game.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,784

Post#216 » by Negrodamus » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:21 pm

I'm seeing Jared Butler falling to our range (22-30) in some mock drafts. If so, that's crazy to me. He'll be only 20 years old at draft time and is possibly the college basketball POY. He feels like a sure thing to contribute in the NBA based off his numbers. I'm not sure what I'm missing with him. I felt good about him last year if he entered the draft.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#217 » by LloydFree » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:49 pm

Negrodamus wrote:I'm seeing Jared Butler falling to our range (22-30) in some mock drafts. If so, that's crazy to me. He'll be only 20 years old at draft time and is possibly the college basketball POY. He feels like a sure thing to contribute in the NBA based off his numbers. I'm not sure what I'm missing with him. I felt good about him last year if he entered the draft.

Height and length for position.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#218 » by Negrodamus » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:07 pm

LloydFree wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:I'm seeing Jared Butler falling to our range (22-30) in some mock drafts. If so, that's crazy to me. He'll be only 20 years old at draft time and is possibly the college basketball POY. He feels like a sure thing to contribute in the NBA based off his numbers. I'm not sure what I'm missing with him. I felt good about him last year if he entered the draft.

6'3 is passable? Wingspan doesn't really matter for what he provides.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#219 » by LloydFree » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:14 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
LloydFree wrote:

Yeah, I'm not arguing that he's a good player. But you asked why he would fall to 20-30 in a draft. 6'3" shooting guards with 6'4-6'5 wingspans don't get drafted in the lottery. See Josh Hart.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#220 » by Negrodamus » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:21 pm

LloydFree wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
LloydFree wrote:Height and length for position.

Yeah, I'm not arguing that he's a good player. But you asked why he would call to 20-30 in a draft. 6'3" shooting guards with 6'4-6'5 wingspans don't get drafted in the lottery. See Josh Hart.

Yea, I mean, it would make more sense to me if he were any other position, but most PGs have mediocre length. It's more about how they finish at the rim/generate deflections which he does very well (I'm currently watching him stuff dudes at the rim in the KState game) . I think the only apprehension have about Butler is his FTr. Otherwise, he has a high ceiling/high floor IMO. I think he'd be ridiculous with us. Perfect off ball scorer for Ben.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers