ImageImageImage

2021 Draft

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

TouchPassDario
Pro Prospect
And1: 338

Re: 2021 Draft and College Basketball 

Post#61 » by TouchPassDario » Sun Mar 7, 2021 7:24 pm

RedIndian wrote:Giddey's shot looks terrible. 37/26/66 splits. Lots of inconsistency in his shooting form too.

Also think he needs to work significantly on his body to handle regular playing time in the NBA.

Definitely a very talented passer and an advanced feel for the game. But I'd see him needing at least a couple of years before he could contribute positively on an NBA court.

With Jones, you know, especially given our current trajectory, he'd be looking for guys who can come in and contribute straight away.

Big Teodosic vibes
RedIndian
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,808

Re: 2021 Draft and College Basketball 

Post#62 » by RedIndian » Mon Mar 8, 2021 6:07 am

bwgood77 wrote:
RedIndian wrote:Giddey's shot looks terrible. 37/26/66 splits. Lots of inconsistency in his shooting form too.

Also think he needs to work significantly on his body to handle regular playing time in the NBA.

Definitely a very talented passer and an advanced feel for the game. But I'd see him needing at least a couple of years before he could contribute positively on an NBA court.

With Jones, you know, especially given our current trajectory, he'd be looking for guys who can come in and contribute straight away.

I had seen his shooting splits and knew his shot needed work, but didn't write him off because of that after I did with LaMelo and his 37/25/72 splits. The guy here who has seen him said he looks exceptional. I saw another guy think he's a lotto pick. I imagine the shooting will be the main thing, like with LaMelo and Simmons.

Yeah, I can see Jones not wanting to go international. I would say Jones would want someone to come in right away too but also don't know if that was his thinking with Smith or knew he'd take time. At the same time, our roster is pretty set like 10 guys deep at least for the next two years (except only 1 year of Paul for sure) so he may not worry if he thinks someone has great upside.

BUT, I also don't see him taking a guy who doesn't shoot well, which, overall is fine by me. This is usually the type of guy I would write off like Ball, and I'm not really even saying I'm high on him, only that I saw he was mocked to us....I do love great passers though.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2033070&start=20#p88068564

Corey Kispert would be the James Jones pick if he fell to us, but he'll probably go in the lottery or early teens.

If I had to pick an early guy as a Jones pick in the late 20s, it'd probably be Davion Mitchell. 3rd year guy, scores big on character, IQ, defense, work ethic and improvement.

I wouldn't mind him as a physical combo guard off the bench. Hitting 45% from the 3 this year. He's like a more polished and talented version of Jevon.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,461

Re: March Madness and 2021 Draft 

Post#63 » by bwgood77 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:59 am

I see Texas is advancing in the Big 12 tournament (or did) due to it being an uncontested game from Kansas. What's up with that? Never seen that before...other than I see Virginia is doing it too. Something to do with COVID?
TouchPassDario
Pro Prospect

Post#64 » by TouchPassDario » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:18 am

COVID yup.

Watched B12 game earlier:

Cunningham seems really slow. LaMelo has jets by comparison.

Butler on Baylor looked awful. Mitchell looked okay. Big donotwant either of them.
darealjuice
Suns Forum Future All Star
And1: 8,784

Post#65 » by darealjuice » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:27 pm

Yeah that's my complaint with Cade too. Not a particularly impressive athlete, and he doesn't have the strength/thiccness of someone like Luka. I don't see how he's not the number one pick with that size, skill, and versatility though. Shooting over 40% from 3 definitely alleviated any jump shot questions from high school.

Great year to suck. Cade, Mobley, Green, and Suggs are all really good prospects. Kuminga is also interesting, but he's a bit below those guys for me.
TouchPassDario
Pro Prospect

Post#66 » by TouchPassDario » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:59 pm

Wagner is such an elite athlete. Blocks a three taking two strides from the restricted area. Ayton-esque.
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,170

Post#67 » by MrMiyagi » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:33 pm

darealjuice wrote:Yeah that's my complaint with Cade too. Not a particularly impressive athlete, and he doesn't have the strength/thiccness of someone like Luka. I don't see how he's not the number one pick with that size, skill, and versatility though. Shooting over 40% from 3 definitely alleviated any jump shot questions from high school.

Great year to suck. Cade, Mobley, Green, and Suggs are all really good prospects. Kuminga is also interesting, but he's a bit below those guys for me.

Kuminga reminds me a lot of Aaron Gordon. Both kind of try to play beyond their skill level. You can watch highlights and quickly become enamored because they both do a little of everything, but not consistently enough to really make an impact. Gordon is still only 25 despite this being his 7th NBA season, and Kuminga is only 18, but both would benefit from a bankable, consistent skill.

As for Cade - he reminds me of Booker in the way that they create space and operate with positioning and exploiting the defender's positioning rather than relying on their athleticism. Cade is also much better at defensive positioning than Booker. He should be versatile enough to match up at a lot of positions, but I doubt he becomes a lock-down guy like Kawhi or Ben Simmons.
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
TouchPassDario
Pro Prospect

Post#68 » by TouchPassDario » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:50 pm

Booker has elite wheels quicks and handle. He can explode jump really well when he needs to. Cade isn’t getting any chase down blocks itl.
TouchPassDario
Pro Prospect

Post#69 » by TouchPassDario » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:48 pm

Some rando white coach’s son just d’ed up Cade.

Then he slowly drew a blocking foul.

Overrated massively.
darealjuice
Suns Forum Future All Star
And1: 8,784

Post#70 » by darealjuice » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:51 am

MrMiyagi wrote:
darealjuice wrote:Yeah that's my complaint with Cade too. Not a particularly impressive athlete, and he doesn't have the strength/thiccness of someone like Luka. I don't see how he's not the number one pick with that size, skill, and versatility though. Shooting over 40% from 3 definitely alleviated any jump shot questions from high school.

Kuminga reminds me a lot of Aaron Gordon. Both kind of try to play beyond their skill level. You can watch highlights and quickly become enamored because they both do a little of everything, but not consistently enough to really make an impact. Gordon is still only 25 despite this being his 7th NBA season, and Kuminga is only 18, but both would benefit from a bankable, consistent skill.

As for Cade - he reminds me of Booker in the way that they create space and operate with positioning and exploiting the defender's positioning rather than relying on their athleticism. Cade is also much better at defensive positioning than Booker. He should be versatile enough to match up at a lot of positions, but I doubt he becomes a lock-down guy like Kawhi or Ben Simmons.

Yeah I agree with TPD that Booker's faster/more explosive than Cade. Never know how Cade's athleticism improves as he gets stronger and fills out though, Booker has certainly gotten more explosive even though his athleticism was a bit underrated coming in.

Kuminga definitely fits the raw big wing archetype that Gordon was in. He'll be interesting to see develop. He might have been a guy that performed better in college where his size and strength was more of an advantage.
RedIndian
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,808

Post#71 » by RedIndian » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:35 am

TouchPassDario wrote:COVID yup.

Watched B12 game earlier:

Cunningham seems really slow. LaMelo has jets by comparison.

Butler on Baylor looked awful. Mitchell looked okay. Big donotwant either of them.

Yeah, I've not liked Butler much when I've seen him. I've preferred Mitchell though again he's not someone I'm wowed by. I can see Jones liking him for his intangibles though.

Dosunmu is probably better than both. Chris Duarte is another guy I could see Jones liking. Dillon Brooks type player.
TouchPassDario
Pro Prospect

Post#72 » by TouchPassDario » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:31 pm

Duarte is a much better defender than Brooks ever was. He’s also a different player type, much closer to Mikal than Brooks was in college: not a primary scorer type.

We know age isn’t a big flag for JJ.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Re: March Madness and 2021 Draft - Big slate of first round games on NOW 

Post#73 » by bwgood77 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:40 pm

Huge upset...that Max Abmas guy is a killer. Averages over 24 ppg and over 43% from 3. Looks kind of like Curry out there. I know McCollum led a 15th seed over a 2 seed before.

Curry led an upset too I think but it may have been a 13 seed over a 4.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,466

Post#74 » by SunsRback4Good » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:42 am

bwgood77 wrote:Huge upset...that Max Abmas guy is a killer. Averages over 24 ppg and over 43% from 3. Looks kind of like Curry out there. I know McCollum led a 15th seed over a 2 seed before.

Curry led an upset too I think but it may have been a 13 seed over a 4.

Max Abmas looks like a young lebron.

13th seed Northern Texas about to upset 4th seed Purdue. Only two underdogs out of 13 games were victorious.
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#75 » by Bogyo » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:06 pm

Anyone has an idea how/where to find a good link to watch online?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#76 » by bwgood77 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:53 pm

Bogyo wrote:Anyone has an idea how/where to find a good link to watch online?

You can maybe watch them all on cbssports.com, which I've been able to do.

If that doesn't work, it looks like they have links in the game threads here. https://www.reddit.com/r/ncaaBBallStreams/
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#77 » by Bogyo » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:03 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Bogyo wrote:Anyone has an idea how/where to find a good link to watch online?

You can maybe watch them all on cbssports.com, which I've been able to do.

If that doesn't work, it looks like they have links in the game threads here. https://www.reddit.com/r/ncaaBBallStreams/

Thanks, much appreciated.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Post#78 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:35 pm

As I've gotten older and had kids I've had to scale down my sports watching and college sports have taken the brunt of that. Now because I don't watch until the touney but still watch the NBA it's honestly striking how much worse college players are. It's like watching two different sports.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
AtheJ415
Head Coach
And1: 5,359

Post#79 » by AtheJ415 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:17 am

Guys I like who might be available around our pick range:

Terrence Shannon Jr. (probably already gone but could see him slip)
Chris Duarte (my favorite for us. Finally get the backup SG we need and versatile enough to play the 3. Defends. Always plays with effort)
Jared Butler
Ayayi
Herbert Jones
Agbaji

Flier type gambles that I doubt we'd pick but that I'd be good with:
Greg Brown
Josh Christopher
Wilber85
Veteran
And1: 2,421

Post#80 » by Wilber85 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:57 pm

Suns should use a 2nd for Luka Garza and finally get their Luka!

Return to Phoenix Suns