ImageImageImageImageImage

Tank?

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Re: Tank? 

Post#201 » by shazam_guy » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:01 pm

I want to see THIS team play out this year. Because it is a Steph year, and you don't just give up on that. But I'm not interested in trying to outthink the lottery and the draft order, and it won't matter anyway because the team isn't playing to lose, they're playing to learn and be as good as they can while they're learning.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,255

Post#202 » by wco81 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:24 pm

So to those who say a pick around 20 is not much better than a pick at the top of the second round, here's an example of a pick around 20:

Saddiq Bey was chosen #19 by the Pistons and here are his overall numbers for the season:

GP MIN FG% 3P% FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
31 22.2 42.2 41.4 84.0 3.9 1.1 0.0 0.6 1.5 0.7 9.8

He's taking 5.2 3PA out of 7.5 attempts from 3. So it seems like he's primarily spacing out, not being asked to take it to the rim too often.

But here are his numbers from the last 10 games:

SPLITS GP MIN FG% 3P% FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
L10 10 29.4 54.3 49.3 87.5 5.6 1.9 0.0 1.0 2.0 0.6 14.8

54.3/49.3/87.5.

I don't know his plus/minus or other advanced stats. Or how he defends. Pistons obviously aren't winning a lot for the season or the last 10 games.

If he keeps improving and sustaining over 50/40/90, he'd be a key piece, unless his defense was like opening up the turnstiles.

This is the kind of player you want to get playoffs experience in a season like this. Because while regular season stats are great, is he going to be able to hit big 3s in the playoffs?

Harrison Barnes had a great regular season but then had a bad stretch in the Finals. He's shot well in the regular season since.

Honestly in the playoffs this year or next season and beyond, how confident would you be with Wiggins or Oubre taking open looks?

Patrick Smith and Devin Vassell are shooting around 38-39% on 3, though on limited number of attempts.

Warriors were never going to draft any of these wings but imagine if they had a second FRP in the mid teens.

So for those of you who say a FRP around 20 doesn't matter, well you're saying you'd rather keep players like Lee or Mulder, who mostly shoot and do little else, than a chance to get a better athlete with a higher ceiling who may be able to shoot almost as well.
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#203 » by shazam_guy » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:34 pm

Kerr and Warriors have made it clear they're not playing for maximum wins this year. Why worry about Wanamaker? He's a place-holder -- would have been nice if he'd worked out, but it doesn't seem he did. He won't be on the squad next year. Why move assets (like draft picks) to improve a non-finals team instead of waiting for Klay to come back and this team to be assembled properly? They're still looking at Poole, and Mannion at this point definitely seems to be in the long-term plans as PG2.
wco81
RealGM

Post#204 » by wco81 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:46 pm

I mean you guys are talking about Mannion and Poole.

But a player drafted in the mid to high teens is likely to have way more upside than either of them.
tarantism
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,146

Post#205 » by tarantism » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:48 pm

shazam_guy wrote:Kerr and Warriors have made it clear they're not playing for maximum wins this year. Why worry about Wanamaker? He's a place-holder -- would have been nice if he'd worked out, but it doesn't seem he did. He won't be on the squad next year. Why move assets (like draft picks) to improve a non-finals team instead of waiting for Klay to come back and this team to be assembled properly? They're still looking at Poole, and Mannion at this point definitely seems to be in the long-term plans as PG2.
That Kerr quote is being taken way out of context by some people on this board. It meant two things; the first being that they won't run Curry or Draymond into the ground trying to win regular season games and second that they will be makng sure to give Wiseman good game experience. What it didn't mean was that they actively don't care about winning games or that they won't look to improve the roster at any point.

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
Melo and amare should thrive in this offense. If Jeremy Tyler and cole Aldridge looked that good in summer league then us knick fans have a lot to be excited about. Make room for all the bandwagoners when we take off
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#206 » by Warriors Analyst » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:25 pm

shazam_guy wrote:Kerr and Warriors have made it clear they're not playing for maximum wins this year. Why worry about Wanamaker? He's a place-holder -- would have been nice if he'd worked out, but it doesn't seem he did. He won't be on the squad next year. Why move assets (like draft picks) to improve a non-finals team instead of waiting for Klay to come back and this team to be assembled properly? They're still looking at Poole, and Mannion at this point definitely seems to be in the long-term plans as PG2.

If we're not playing for maximum wins why bother with Wanamaker? He's 31. He's a finished product and his minutes could just as well go to Poole and Mannion if you want either of them to be part of the rotation next year.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,248

Post#207 » by xdrta+ » Mon Mar 1, 2021 12:31 am

tarantism wrote:
That Kerr quote is being taken way out of context by some people on this board. It meant two things; the first being that they won't run Curry or Draymond into the ground trying to win regular season games and second that they will be makng sure to give Wiseman good game experience. What it didn't mean was that they actively don't care about winning games or that they won't look to improve the roster at any point.

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app

Exactly right. People take that quote about "chasing wins" and make it seem like Kerr doesn't care about winning or losing. The thing about the playoffs is, there's no certainty. A lot of things can happen, more than ever this year. As long as you have a seat at the table, who knows?
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,199

Post#208 » by clyde21 » Mon Mar 1, 2021 4:22 am

there are too many terrible teams for us to 'tank' right, barring a Steph or Dray injury god forbid

we should definitely try to keep the pick...if we lose it that will be devastating (did I mention **** Myers?)
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#209 » by Mylie10 » Mon Mar 1, 2021 3:43 pm

clyde21 wrote:there are too many terrible teams for us to 'tank' right, barring a Steph or Dray injury god forbid

we should definitely try to keep the pick...if we lose it that will be devastating (did I mention **** Myers?)

Plus one and lol at the Myers shot haha
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,907

Post#210 » by whatisacenter » Mon Mar 1, 2021 4:56 pm

clyde21 wrote:there are too many terrible teams for us to 'tank' right, barring a Steph or Dray injury god forbid

yeah, at the time of the trade for Oubre the hopeful-likely outcome was to make the playoffs and not be a top 10 team while keeping the FRP. I did not see the East being so pathetic with the Heat, Celtics and Raptors all struggling. I still see the Dubs falling out of the top 10 and keeping the pick. The ideal end result would be to trade KO for a player under contract control and have two 2021 FRP's.

as far as your hate for Myers, how is your guy JW doing down in clipperland? they traded Shamet in a three way trade that landed Shamet on the Nets and Bey on the Pistons for Luke Kennard who they then extended for 4-$64 million. they also maxed out PG13 and gave 4-$64 million to Morris while having no true PG on the squad. If the Clipps don't win a title this season they will have shot their wad for nothing and a barren cupboard moving forward.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
clyde21
RealGM

Post#211 » by clyde21 » Mon Mar 1, 2021 5:28 pm

lol I don't know whats more pathetic, this blind and unearned loyalty warriors fans give Myers or the shot taking at Jerry **** West in your attempts to defend Myers.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,907

Post#212 » by whatisacenter » Mon Mar 1, 2021 5:57 pm

clyde21 wrote:lol I don't know whats more pathetic, this blind and unearned loyalty warriors fans give Myers or the shot taking at Jerry **** West in your attempts to defend Myers.

I don't think Myers' record is without its warts but you have always given any credit to the Warriors' former moves to JW and all the missteps to Myers..that is blind and unearned.

I think that Lacob hiring JW was a brilliant move and gave a floundering organization legitimacy and thank JW for all he gave the team. I also think the Clippers are in trouble if they don't win the chip this season.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
clyde21
RealGM

Post#213 » by clyde21 » Thu Mar 4, 2021 6:04 am

welp, we just dropped to #14 just like that...it's pretty crazy how like 20 teams in the league are all within just a handle of wins or losses from each other
wco81
RealGM

Post#214 » by wco81 » Fri Mar 5, 2021 7:53 pm

So at the All Star break, after 37 games out of 72, just over the half way mark, the Warriors are #9 in the West, on a 3 game losing streak after their first 3 game win streak, at 19-18.

They are now just inside the lottery at #14.

http://www.tankathon.com

Schedule doesn't get easier, as their next 3 games are at Clippers then home vs. Jazz and Lakers. Then they go to the Rockets and have a 2-game series at Memphis, which are at #10 in the WC, just 1/2 game behind them.

Season could tip either way. If Curry gets injured and has to miss several games, they won't have to decide to tank the decision will be made for them.

Trade deadline is 3/25 and Warriors play that date, at Sacto, at 10 PM EST. So that is the 8th game after the All Star Break and the deadline probably comes before 10 PM EST. They have 7 games to make decisions which affect not only this season but probably next.

They have to make a decision about Oubre. Despite his improved play over the last month, it's unlikely they keep him or use his salary slot long term. So a trade is very likely and if KO continues to play well, some contender may want him as a rental or a team looking to dump contracts beyond this season may be interested.

Of course they potentially may get the Minnesota pick, which could be an asset in heavy demand.

OTOH, if the season turns south, like they lose 4 or more of the 7 or 8 games before the trade deadline, they could be looking at their own FRP moving into the top 10. Combine that with the Minnesota pick and you may have two potential starters of the future, including a potential franchise player. Or trade them to get a franchise-level player now.

If they get off to a slow start after after the All Star break, they may be tempted to use load management. Curry has only rested in one game so far I believe, so there may be a temptation especially on back to back games.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#215 » by Mylie10 » Sun Mar 7, 2021 4:29 am

If we pull one win out of the first three I’m pumped.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
ahmetmekin
Pro Prospect
And1: 476

Post#216 » by ahmetmekin » Sun Mar 7, 2021 4:53 am

Mylie10 wrote:If we pull one win out of the first three I’m pumped.

Even if we assume that we have 25% probability to win (for each game) then this gives us 58% for winning at least one game. So 1 win is quite realistic.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#217 » by and1GS » Sun Mar 7, 2021 8:57 pm

While I don't feel we should tank, I do think this second half of the season should be about 'what do we have right now in Wiseman/Poole/Mannion?'

You can still play winning basketball while giving them reasonable minutes, and I feel it is important to get these kids exposed to high pressure playoff situations. Get the reps now when it doesn't matter so they're ready when it does.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Post#218 » by Old_Blue » Sun Mar 7, 2021 9:23 pm

I no longer have any confidence that management knows what it's doing come draft time. From that perspective, tanking is meaningless. Whatever our draft range, we'll pick the wrong guy. Quite frankly, we may as well be trading these picks.
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#219 » by and1GS » Sun Mar 7, 2021 10:10 pm

Old_Blue wrote:I no longer have any confidence that management knows what it's doing come draft time. From that perspective, tanking is meaningless. Whatever our draft range, we'll pick the wrong guy. Quite frankly, we may as well be trading these picks.

Curious, why do you feel this way?

Here are our last 10 selections (parenthesis is pick #):
WIseman (#2)
Mannion (#48)
Jessup (#51)
Poole (#28)
Paschall (#41)
Jacob Evans (#28)
Damian Jones (#30)
Looney (#30)
Barnes (#7)
Ezeli (#30)

Were you expecting home runs at 28 and later or are you so distraught about the Wiseman pick that you've given up on management in drafts after his first ~30 games?
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#220 » by Mylie10 » Sun Mar 7, 2021 11:21 pm

ahmetmekin wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:If we pull one win out of the first three I’m pumped.

Even if we assume that we have 25% probability to win (for each game) then this gives us 58% for winning at least one game. So 1 win is quite realistic.

:lol: I just watch the games
Khoee wrote “

Return to Golden State Warriors