Lead Assistant
And1: 3,253

Re: Around the NBA: Regular Season Edition 

Post#101 » by imagump1313 » Tue Mar 9, 2021 1:07 am

Phreak50 wrote:Dreaming of some trades.

One that works is:

Spurs get: KAT
Wolves get: Aldridge and their pick of Murray or White

Spurs do it: because they aren't going to sign anyone close to KAT, no one wants to come here.

Wolves do it: they clear his huge contract, get a proper PG and move DLO.

Not sure if the Spurs want KAT but there are some rumors going around that The Spurs are inquiring about Nicola Vucevic which would be interesting.

https://old.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/m0jhtl/oconnor_the_heat_spurs_celtics_and_hornets_have/
And
https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/spurs-zone/report-spurs-showing-significant-interest-in-magics-vucevic?fbclid=IwAR3dvy2zkAqh2n91403idq3q8KETfds78ZdjxaFiPbxFnr4vqTQTVUvTfT8

Ahh, I guess Grey already posted this in the rumor thread... :P
Phreak50
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,962

Post#102 » by Phreak50 » Tue Mar 9, 2021 2:07 am

Ugh. I can't stand Vucevic.

Sure he would be an upgrade but he puts up stats on a terrible team. Never liked his game.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,432

Post#103 » by G R E Y » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:47 pm

Big news in the NBA and former Spurs family. LMA has decided to walk away from the game. Unfortunate circumstances that are at the root of it, but he's choosing to leave on his terms, in his words:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I'm happy LMA signed with us, led us through a difficult time, and left on good terms like the pro he is. He got his only 50-point game with us. His turnaround J was as beautiful as it was reliable. Wishing LaMarcus a long, healthy, and happy life. I'm sure it was a hard decision, but the right one for him and his family in the long run.

Thank you, LaMarcus! :clap:
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,961

Post#104 » by DusterBuster » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:55 pm

Zach Collins unlikely to play until…

Get used to those words Spurs fans…
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#105 » by imagump1313 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:10 am

DusterBuster wrote:Zach Collins unlikely to play until…

We aren't winning anything this year anyway. We'll be ok wit it.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,961

Post#106 » by DusterBuster » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:16 am

imagump1313 wrote:

Oh I know, just saying, this is a yearly alert for any team he’s on. Feel bad for the kid, but his body is not cut out for the NBA.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#107 » by imagump1313 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:32 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
imagump1313 wrote:

Oh I know, just saying, this is a yearly alert for any team he’s on. Feel bad for the kid, but his body is not cut out for the NBA.

If he could just play enough so that we aren't forced to play Eubanks we will still be better off :D
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#108 » by imagump1313 » Wed Dec 8, 2021 1:56 am

Pacers are going to rebuild. Screw FA this summer! What could we send to Indy to somehow get Sabonis?
Phreak50
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,962

Post#109 » by Phreak50 » Wed Dec 8, 2021 12:20 pm

imagump1313 wrote:Pacers are going to rebuild. Screw FA this summer! What could we send to Indy to somehow get Sabonis?

Whatever it takes!
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#110 » by G R E Y » Thu Dec 9, 2021 8:27 pm

Marc Stein is reporting that apparently Simmons would like to/welcome playing for Pop. Just in time before the December 15 date that opens more players up for a trade. Subtle timing, that.

Morey's already stated he doesn't want our 'lesser' players, but I wonder if a third team could get involved or whether we want to deal with all the baggage he comes with. We're not in need of D (10th) or assists (2nd), but 3s and FTs, neither of which he helps with. I'm more meh about it and don't like Pop being used as a bargaining ploy. He knows the games within games, but it's interesting that Dame wants Simmons and a couple of days later Simmons reportedly wants/would welcome playing for Pop. Lots of info being bounced around...
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#111 » by imagump1313 » Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:54 pm

GREY 1769 wrote:Marc Stein is reporting that apparently Simmons would like to/welcome playing for Pop. Just in time before the December 15 date that opens more players up for a trade. Subtle timing, that.

Morey's already stated he doesn't want our 'lesser' players, but I wonder if a third team could get involved or whether we want to deal with all the baggage he comes with. We're not in need of D (10th) or assists (2nd), but 3s and FTs, neither of which he helps with. I'm more meh about it and don't like Pop being used as a bargaining ploy. He knows the games within games, but it's interesting that Dame wants Simmons and a couple of days later Simmons reportedly wants/would welcome playing for Pop. Lots of info being bounced around...

I think its just more noise with no facts coming up to the 15th, but I'm still open to Simmons if it somehow happens. Maybe we can get involved in a 3 way deal to get Sabonis and who cares where Simmons goes :D
I'm hoping we as an organization aren't clinging to the notion that we might be a fringe playoff team at this point. I think we have seen almost enough of that at this point with this roster.

Looking at 2022's UFA list, it's very guard heavy which I don't think we would do. The only guy I would want to throw the kitchen sink at to get would be Deandre Ayton. Perhaps a trade now would be a better route depending on who we target?

Or we keep riding Bryn Forbes to get Banchero in the draft :lol:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#112 » by G R E Y » Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:24 pm

imagump1313 wrote:
GREY 1769 wrote:Marc Stein is reporting that apparently Simmons would like to/welcome playing for Pop. Just in time before the December 15 date that opens more players up for a trade. Subtle timing, that.

I think its just more noise with no facts coming up to the 15th, but I'm still open to Simmons if it somehow happens. Maybe we can get involved in a 3 way deal to get Sabonis and who cares where Simmons goes :D
I'm hoping we as an organization aren't clinging to the notion that we might be a fringe playoff team at this point. I think we have seen almost enough of that at this point with this roster.

Looking at 2022's UFA list, it's very guard heavy which I don't think we would do. The only guy I would want to throw the kitchen sink at to get would be Deandre Ayton. Perhaps a trade now would be a better route depending on who we target?

Or we keep riding Bryn Forbes to get Banchero in the draft :lol:

Yeah the thing I like is that there are lots of options and we're in better control of future going forward. We're no longer catering to a star's preferred mode of play, are adjusting well to a more modern style, the guys all like each other and the chemistry is great this season (something, interestingly, even Pop pointed out as a contract to I think last season), we have tons of cap space (which I wonder about us throwing at Ayton, too), and, depending on the price, we can make some moves now, too.

What we get for Thad will be interesting. Of course it also depends on what teams offer, but we reportedly turned down Saric, Smith and a 2nd rounder for Thad from the Suns already. Saric's contract extends beyond this season (so biting into next year's cap space), and Smith wasn't extended, so basically we're diminishing cap space and a 2nd rounder? No. IF we eat cap space it will have to be for a player we actually want on the roster or we get a 1st round pick. If we have to wait till the February deadline, so be it, though I don't think Thad would prefer that with his publicly stating he would like to play more. He's been a total pro, but with Zach coming along and per Pop being ready after Christmas, it will be an interesting addition to the roster mix, and possibly even fewer minutes for Thad?

But I don't think any move we make on Dec. 15 onward will be a big definitive gesture. We're about building blocks and I think any moves we make contribute to that all while giving the young guys plenty of time and space to play and grow together. Is there a dearth of talent at some positions where we need to upgrade? Sure. Are Simmons or Sabonis THE right answers? I'm not convinced they are, particularly as their respective teams are either fine without the one and not really lighting the world on fire with the other (yes there are lots of other factors that contribute to winning or not). Still, if the cost is way too high of giving up too many prospects/picks, well these compromise our long-term sustainability and growth and don't bring us that much higher.

If we were a couple of years down the road with this group, I'd be more inclined to support pulling the trigger. But this is literally Year 1, a couple of months in. And we're not even utilizing our full complement of players yet. So it feels like our focus is internal growth, draft, and use of cap space, with trades as an additional option, not the primary one like it is for, say, Indy or Blazers right now. That may shift as we progress, but we're just scratching the surface of our growth, and I think the guys want and deserve the shot to keep figuring things out while the FO makes the changes that complement them rather than them having to complement others as in times past. It will resolve itself in Spurstime. We operate at our own pace. I really love that about our organization :D
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#113 » by imagump1313 » Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:45 pm

GREY 1769 wrote: Of course it also depends on what teams offer, but we reportedly turned down Saric, Smith and a 2nd rounder for Thad from the Suns already. Saric's contract extends beyond this season (so biting into next year's cap space), and Smith wasn't extended, so basically we're diminishing cap space and a 2nd rounder?

You left out the part that Saric totally sucks donkey balls too :lol:

We are also in the position to take on an expiring for more assets so I'm all for that as well. Seems like Primo. Landale and Wieskamp are riding the Austin train anyway.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#114 » by G R E Y » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:15 pm

'Tis the season for rumours to start:

That was my impression after last night's game.
Read on Twitter

As to Simmons, looks like our interest has fizzled, reportedly. Just as well.
Read on Twitter

As always, depends on the cost and mutual interest of assets.
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#115 » by imagump1313 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:50 pm

GREY 1769 wrote:'Tis the season for rumours to start:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I would take a pair of old gym shoes for Forbes... They don't even have to match :lol: :lol:

I think its more of Morey's silly asking price that would cool us from Simmons, not that we aren't interested.

Sabonis is one of the few guys around that could make us respectable immediately IMO. Depending on the asking price of course, but if you honestly asked me if I would want to build a team around Sabonis or any one guy on our roster? I'm going to answer Sabonis so the whole roster is open for me.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#116 » by G R E Y » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:01 pm

imagump1313 wrote:
GREY 1769 wrote:'Tis the season for rumours to start:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I would take a pair of old gym shoes for Forbes... They don't even have to match :lol: :lol:

I think its more of Morey's silly asking price that would cool us from Simmons, not that we aren't interested.

Sabonis is one of the few guys around that could make us respectable immediately IMO. Depending on the asking price of course, but if you honestly asked me if I would want to build a team around Sabonis or any one guy on our roster? I'm going to answer Sabonis so the whole roster is open for me.

:lol: Poor Bryn can't win one way or another in your eyes! He IS second on the team in 3s efficiency and top 20 in the entire league. Considering he's playing below his career minutes average and pretty much comes in for brief rest purposes or garbage time, I think we've adjusted to his usage very well. If we can get something for him like a pick, that's quality asset management. Poor Bryn if we do trade him, though... Guy has an off year and we don't re-sign him, goes and gets a ring, re-sign with us, and now may be on the block. The good thing is that if he does get traded, it'll likely be to a team that's contending.

I don't know about Simmons. It may be the case that after the stronger guard play and improving overall play of the team that we aren't as hungry for his services either. It would, of course, depend on the price, but considering our D is solid and we need 3s and FTs, and considering the baggage he comes with, I'm not sure we give up our trajectory for Mystery Issues Box A. Culture and chemistry are so important to what we're doing and it's been a while since we've had such a good, issue-free locker room. I'm more meh to no about this than ever.

Sabonis. Maybe it's because I haven't seen him play enough, but I don't get the big deal about him. He's a position of need at PF, clearly, and fits our young guys' timeline as he's 25, I just don't think we're at a position to be giving up a ton of assets for someone who is a now-player. It just depends on the cost, and of course what direction Pacers want to go. Since it's a rebuild, they'd only be interested in youth and picks, which is what we're currently building with and looking to stock up. Not sure he's THAT guy to give them up for.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#117 » by G R E Y » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:32 pm

By the way: today's the day when more players are tradeable. Our players now eligible who have this season left on their contracts: Thad, Lonnie, and Bryn.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#118 » by imagump1313 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:10 pm

GREY 1769 wrote:By the way: today's the day when more players are tradeable. Our players now eligible who have this season left on their contracts: Thad, Lonnie, and Bryn.

I agree that we are using Forbes properly lately. 10-15 minutes should be tops. But if someone wants to actually GIVE us something for HIM??? GO FOR IT!!!!!

He's a nice kid but feel bad for him? No. He's getting $4.5 million. I'll take that to be a scapegoat any day of the week :lol:
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,178

Post#119 » by cedric76 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:15 pm

Would you trade Vassell for a 2023 Lottery pick?

Bamba + Chicago FRP for Vassell?
Grayson or Monk? Bring the cheapest

unleash Jett next seaon
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#120 » by G R E Y » Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:23 pm

cedric76 wrote:Would you trade Vassell for a 2023 Lottery pick?

Bamba + Chicago FRP for Vassell?

My sense is no given that we want two firsts for Jakob alone.

I don't think PATFO consider anyone untradable, but I know they are super high on Devin. He's our best two-way player, more than doubled his PPG from last season and is just scratching the O surface, all still on a rookie contract.

Even if the 1st were unprotected, Chicago is getting bodies back and looks to be making a push.
Are they dismantling it all?

Have to say that an unprotected 2023, if that were offered, could be enticing. The balance to weigh is would player X be of more value than what we have in Devin.

Mo seems like a super nice guy but soft and with a questionable motor. Not what we're looking for in players.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way

Return to San Antonio Spurs