ImageImageImageImageImage

All kinds of rumors about Drummond

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

GYK
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Re: All kinds of rumors about Drummond 

Post#61 » by GYK » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:26 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:I think you guys are way too down on Drummond.

He's still really good. The best rebounder in the league and good defensively. The Cavs have honestly been terrible without him.

I think he would start and be incredible at getting rebounds and protecting the rim.

We will need him when we play the likes of Embiid or Davis. I don't really want McGee trying to rebound or guard against them.

He really is Dwight way lite. More game than all the dunk and defend centers(Thompson. Adams. Rudy(nowhere near the defense). Clint. Allen. Robinson. Plumlee. Jordan. McGee.) he clearly shouldn’t be a 1st option(probably best just existing and feasting) but he is capable of putting up 17ppg without elite playmaking feeding him, something the others really can’t do. If he was lucky enough to be drafted to a contender his contract would have made sense.
If we get lucky enough to get him we got a true big 4. Good defense and the most capable on capitalizing on our playmakers. He’s far and away the best choice.
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,027

Post#62 » by mg » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:36 pm

It's going to take awhile to work out. I think the Cavs are hoping to incl Drummond's expiring salary as filler as the 3rd team in a Beal (or similar) big deal before the deadline and pick up some kind of asset for their trouble. If they can't move him then he will have to decide if he wants to be bought out. Maybe sitting at home for the next month will change his mind about a buyout and relinquishing bird rights. The Cavs are obviously going nowhere this season so decided to turn the keys over to Allen. Drummond couldn't handle being a backup to JA so he's sitting at home. The Cavs are winless since they sat Drummond but their problems go back before that point. Their slide started when Nance got injured.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,878

Post#63 » by Hello Brooklyn » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:39 pm

Prokorov wrote:

He's still really good. The best rebounder in the league and good defensively. The Cavs have honestly been terrible without him.

I think he would start and be incredible at getting rebounds and protecting the rim.

We will need him when we play the likes of Embiid or Davis. I don't really want McGee trying to rebound or guard against them.

I dont know. The "he is good defensively part" is like, yeah he can gaurd other bigs 1 on 1 and ends possesions as a great rebounder. and he isnt a statue. but he doesnt block shots as a help defender and he doesnt do well in pick and rolls. he isnt a rim protecter and thats what we need. offensively he requires or takes too many shots creating his own offense. we need more of an Allen/DJ who is just finishing lobs or green who spaces the floor.

Drummonds only role here would be 100% off the bench crashing the boards on both sides to help us crush teams when their starters sit. Which is valable and id welcome that. we need rebounding for sure.

But i just dont see a world were he makes us better then someone like mcgee does

Hes definitely not a great help defender and if he was he wouldn't be getting bought out.

But good 1 on 1 defense in the post in rebounding is something we sorely lack.

Imagine how many extra possessions we can get for the Big 3 with Drummond on the boards. And he can at least not give Embiid an open highway to the rim.

I don't trust McGee to check Embiid/Davis in the post.

Offensively I don't think hes going to be asking for shots. This isn't Cleveland. Hes not an idiot.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#64 » by Hello Brooklyn » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:41 pm

Also remember that Drummond has never really played with a good Point Guard in his entire career.

McGee has had the chance to play with Steph and LeBron.

Prior to that he was on his way out of the league.

Imagine what Harden could do for Drummond in terms of easy lobs or dunks.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#65 » by Prokorov » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:48 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

I dont know. The "he is good defensively part" is like, yeah he can gaurd other bigs 1 on 1 and ends possesions as a great rebounder. and he isnt a statue. but he doesnt block shots as a help defender and he doesnt do well in pick and rolls. he isnt a rim protecter and thats what we need. offensively he requires or takes too many shots creating his own offense. we need more of an Allen/DJ who is just finishing lobs or green who spaces the floor.

Drummonds only role here would be 100% off the bench crashing the boards on both sides to help us crush teams when their starters sit. Which is valable and id welcome that. we need rebounding for sure.

But i just dont see a world were he makes us better then someone like mcgee does

Hes definitely not a great help defender and if he was he wouldn't be getting bought out.

But good 1 on 1 defense in the post in rebounding is something we sorely lack.

Imagine how many extra possessions we can get for the Big 3 with Drummond on the boards. And he can at least not give Embiid an open highway to the rim.

I don't trust McGee to check Embiid/Davis in the post.

Offensively I don't think hes going to be asking for shots. This isn't Cleveland. Hes not an idiot.

Like i said, this isnt a cousins type of thing were i wouldnt take him for free and think he is some scrub. id take drummond in a second and i think he would help in a lot of areas. but i dont think he helps in our biggest area of need and i dont think he is the seamless fit some assume he would be.

Also, drummond wont ask for shots. but he is one of those JR smith "YOLO" types that cant help himself once the ball is in his hands. im sure he would scrafice plays for himself and touches. but he is kind of the chucker of interior bigs. but lets say we 100% resolve that. we still dont have that rim protector for when DJ isnt on the floor or another PNR threat. McGee is simply better then drummond at both of those things. once again, id take drummond, but give me mcgeee for this nets team 10 times out of 10 over him.

Also, im not worried about "Embiid in the post". You arent beating KD/Durant/Harden by posting your big all game like its 1988. We have seen time and time again Embiid go off for 30-40 and the 76ers get stomped. hell he just had 50 and they barely won vs. the bulls. Philly is the least of our worries. they likely are gone way before facing us in the playoffs. Boston/Toronto would likely beat them in 5-6 games or less.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#66 » by Prokorov » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:49 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:Also remember that Drummond has never really played with a good Point Guard in his entire career.

McGee has had the chance to play with Steph and LeBron.

Prior to that he was on his way out of the league.

Imagine what Harden could do for Drummond in terms of easy lobs or dunks.

With mcgee being the better receiver/lpb threat id prefer him in that regard.
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Post#67 » by DarkXaero » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:08 pm

The Cavs were already playing terrible with him before they benched him permanently. I don't think he's "really good" at all or even "good" perhaps but he would make us better.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,095

Post#68 » by therealbig3 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:38 pm

Drummond doesn’t protect the rim, and most defensive stats say he’s bad. His only real value comes from his rebounding, which he’s legitimately great at, but he is so bad at everything else he’s a neutral player at best, to this point in his career.

He needs to focus more on actual defense and being in the right place at the right time. He needs to stop turning it over so much. He needs to stop taking terrible shots, and only focus on finishing plays, not initiating them. He hasn’t shown the willingness to do any of those things consistently throughout his career. He’ll get you 30/20, but on 26 shots, 10 FTA, 5 TOs, and bad defense. He makes himself not worth it.

I’m still good with taking a chance on him in the hopes he’ll turn it around on a contending team, but I can’t disagree with the people that are worried about bringing him in here. I’d actually be worried too. That quote from a team executive that said regarding Drummond “he can get you 30/20 but have no impact on the game” is pretty telling.
HardenGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,504

Post#69 » by HardenGoat » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:26 pm

Rebounding is a serious need though. If we could get more rebounds that is almost the same as points on this team.
Whiskey Slick
Pro Prospect
And1: 407

Post#70 » by Whiskey Slick » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:16 pm

HardenGoat wrote:Rebounding is a serious need though. If we could get more rebounds that is almost the same as points on this team.

For those who are old enough to remember the Showtime Lakers, Pat Riley's favorite quote was:

NO REBOUNDS - NO RINGS

For all of their flash and dash ... no rebounds, no rings.

That said, Andre Drummond has been the leagues rebounding leader 3 or 4 times.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#71 » by Paradise » Tue Mar 9, 2021 3:31 pm

Nets & Lakers are the finalists for Drummond if bought out.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#72 » by Prokorov » Tue Mar 9, 2021 4:11 pm

Whiskey Slick wrote:
HardenGoat wrote:Rebounding is a serious need though. If we could get more rebounds that is almost the same as points on this team.

For those who are old enough to remember the Showtime Lakers, Pat Riley's favorite quote was:

NO REBOUNDS - NO RINGS

For all of their flash and dash ... no rebounds, no rings.

That said, Andre Drummond has been the leagues rebounding leader 3 or 4 times.

Pat Reilly coached in the 80s when that actually mattered.

Since 2010, the champion has never been higher then 8th in total rebounding and never higher then 11th in rebounding differential. the 2009 season (lakers/celtics) was the last time the #1 rebounding team got to the Finals. The warriors won a title as a bottom 3 team and 4 of the last 10 title teams were bottom in rebounding.

We are 18th in rebounding and 17th in rebounding differential. right smack in the middle of the league. Rebounding doesnt have nearly the value it did in the past. teams are playing 4 and 5 out and have at most 1 big crashing the glass. It is no conincidence that triple doubles are up since guards are left to corral uncontested rebounds at such a high rate. there is a huge portion of rebounds where there are 0 opponents within 16 feet once the shot hits the rim.
Openheimer
Sixth Man
And1: 1,100

Post#73 » by Openheimer » Tue Mar 9, 2021 5:35 pm

The Nets need a rebounding big man bad. They have Claxton for defensive purposes. They just need a big guy who can rebound the ball and be respectable interior defender. Nothing special. Drummond fits all of that
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#74 » by Prokorov » Tue Mar 9, 2021 6:03 pm

Openheimer wrote:The Nets need a rebounding big man bad. They have Claxton for defensive purposes. They just need a big guy who can rebound the ball and be respectable interior defender. Nothing special. Drummond fits all of that

Do we need that? we are 10-1 in our last 11 games. We were outrebounded in only 3 of those games (and one of those was being outrebounded 39 to 38). We were 2-1 in those 3 games. including a wire to wire win over the clippers.

as mentioned above, the past decade shows evidence you can win with a middle of the pack, or even poor rebounding team.

like Blake, id take drummond for free. but i dont think rebounding is really an issue at this point
GYK
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#75 » by GYK » Tue Mar 9, 2021 6:14 pm

when we get him and he’s a garbage man(rolls/dumps/lobs/putbacks) surrounded by 3 players who get doubled and a back breaking 3pt shooter he’s gonna look amazing. His efficiency will skyrocket. His rim protection is already needed(tho not elite every advanced metric has him as above average defensively). We have a gauntlet of bigs to get through now and the future. Drummond isn’t the missing piece to winning. We likely would win anyway. But he’s the best player to complete our stars on both ends. Rebounding is a huge problem and he solves it.
Looking at LA. Lebron(often negatively caked LeGM) could have chosen a team of shooters(they do need to improve there) but he chose a big team in this small league. He even did it with Love/Thompson. Win built we didn’t exist and no other team could overwhelm them talent wise like the Dubs did. He specifically chose to win the hustle and paint(points in the paint. points allowed in the paint) battle. Last year Lebron faced a bunch of teams who were greatly better 3-15 but they lost to the teams overall paint dominance.
Openheimer
Sixth Man
And1: 1,100

Post#76 » by Openheimer » Tue Mar 9, 2021 6:25 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Openheimer wrote:The Nets need a rebounding big man bad. They have Claxton for defensive purposes. They just need a big guy who can rebound the ball and be respectable interior defender. Nothing special. Drummond fits all of that

Do we need that? we are 10-1 in our last 11 games. We were outrebounded in only 3 of those games (and one of those was being outrebounded 39 to 38). We were 2-1 in those 3 games. including a wire to wire win over the clippers.

as mentioned above, the past decade shows evidence you can win with a middle of the pack, or even poor rebounding team.

like Blake, id take drummond for free. but i dont think rebounding is really an issue at this point

In the playoffs where the possessions are at a premium yea you will need a big time rebounder to limit the opponent’s second chance opportunities
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#77 » by Hello Brooklyn » Tue Mar 9, 2021 8:09 pm

I don't really feel like we need Drummond.

How can we possibly play him, Jordan, Claxton and Griffin.
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#78 » by GTR11 » Tue Mar 9, 2021 8:13 pm

Dre will be an over kill. As some mentioned im not sure where min will come from. Sending Nic to Long Island would be mistake, he's future we have to develop.
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#79 » by GTR11 » Tue Mar 9, 2021 8:15 pm

Would rather get another sf/pf combo player. Tucker or Ariza sound good here.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,842

Post#80 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Mar 9, 2021 9:01 pm

We need a wing defender.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe