ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith!

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,486

Re: Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith! 

Post#601 » by Patsfan1081 » Tue Mar 9, 2021 11:46 pm

cl2117 wrote:I'm happy he got his run when he did. Not going to complain about rotations if we're winning and they guys taking those available minutes are doing something with them.

Can't deny that he's still a little lost out there. Doesn't look nearly as lost as he did originally, but in terms of getting into the flow of the offense specifically, he's just not comfortable asserting himself. Hopefully he grows into it in time.

I will say I'm a little surprised by the all or nothing approach. One thing about Nesmith that I really like is his ability to shoot off screens and in motion. I feel like that talent could be utilized a bit better without having to feed him minutes. Especially coming out of timeouts where Brad can draw up a set and let him get to one of his spots off a down screen etc. This team is often lacking that scoring punch outside our big 3 and Aaron feels like a guy who could manufacture a bucket here or there even if you're only giving him around 5 minutes in that game.

Read on Twitter

It'll be interesting to see how he responds when he does get minutes again after being fed them for a handful of games and then back to DNP-CD.

He moved really good without the ball in college but it’s a totally different story here, I’ve watched Tatum waive him off then leave him totally wide open after drawing Shia defender. Feels like rookies just get pushed into the corners and are forced to stay out of the way rather than being in the flow of the offense. Feels like Jaylen was the same as a rook, though Boston’s bench then wasn’t so weak and needing scoring.
Tatumfor2
Starter
And1: 4,618

Post#602 » by Tatumfor2 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:01 am

I'm assuming they finally are getting some practice in and we might see a little more of him in the second half. Fingers crossed! Or Romeo comes back, looks good, and we never see Nemith again.
Win it for Al!!! :pray:
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 9,990

Post#603 » by Dogen » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:31 am

Tatumfor2 wrote:I'm assuming they finally are getting some practice in and we might see a little more of him in the second half. Fingers crossed! Or Romeo comes back, looks good, and we never see Nemith again.

Or
Danny stands pat at the deadline, Brad starts playing both Nesmith and Langford more, the Celtics make it to the four seed in the playoffs and shock the basketball world when the young guns show up big time.
Hey you! Can we come together?
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,167

Post#604 » by playa-hater » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:41 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:The Celtics are 6-1 when Nesmith plays between 10 and 20 minutes. They are 3-8 otherwise (when he plays).

Not establishing causation here. Not even correlation. I was just bored, checked his game logs, and wanted to share my random observation.

Oh no you didn't.. you just gave me a tanker of Gasoline and I have a flame thrower. Where's that poster who said Boston is in "win now mode" :-?

#IHATESTEVENS
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Wes-J
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,769

Post#605 » by Wes-J » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:04 am

Yikes this thread didn't age well.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,531

Post#606 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:21 am

playa-hater wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:The Celtics are 6-1 when Nesmith plays between 10 and 20 minutes. They are 3-8 otherwise (when he plays).

Not establishing causation here. Not even correlation. I was just bored, checked his game logs, and wanted to share my random observation.

Oh no you didn't.. you just gave me a tanker of Gasoline and I have a flame thrower. Where's that poster who said Boston is in "win now mode" :-?

#IHATESTEVENS

So the Celtics are 3-8 when Nesmith plays short minutes, and 10-8 when he doesn't play at all? ;)
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,921

Post#607 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:24 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:
playa-hater wrote:

#IHATESTEVENS

So the Celtics are 3-8 when Nesmith plays short minutes, and 10-8 when he doesn't play at all? ;)

The 3-8 is when he plays less than 10 mins or more than 20 mins. Told you guys to not read into this lol.
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#608 » by playa-hater » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:22 am

playa-hater wrote:

#IHATESTEVENS

Excuse me, but you failed to mention 6 and 1.. somewhere I said Nesmith should play between 15 to 20 per. Listening to me would have Boston TOPS in the NBA. 8-)
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#609 » by playa-hater » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:23 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:
playa-hater wrote:

#IHATESTEVENS

The 3-8 is when he plays less than 10 mins or more than 20 mins. Told you guys to not read into this lol.

Sorry but to late. your little drop of water aint knockin down this FIRE!!!
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#610 » by playa-hater » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:44 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:

according to this video.

Nesmith catches and shoots - Check
can shoot with a quick release - Check
can move/shoot without the ball - check
shoots off dribble - check
can dribble + drive to the rim - check
can create/pass for others - check
can finish around the rim - check
can play defense - check
plays with energy - check

Gets consistent confidence from Coach Stevens - Fail. :-?
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#611 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:20 am

playa-hater wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:

according to this video.

can play defense - check

And about half those plays were outside of garbage time!
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#612 » by playa-hater » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:35 am

playa-hater wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:

according to this video.

can play defense - check

not sure what you mean. Half outside implies half were garbage time. my opinion is regardless, I look at abilities when I watch film. And Nesmith showed a well rounded game regardless of when he played.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#613 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:14 am

playa-hater wrote:
playa-hater wrote:
according to this video.

can play defense - check

not sure what you mean. Half outside implies half were garbage time. my opinion is regardless, I look at abilities when I watch film. And Nesmith showed a well rounded game regardless of when he played.

What I'm saying is that only half those plays were against serious NBA-quality resistance.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,790

Post#614 » by bucknersrevenge » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:39 pm

I continue to be not worried in the slightest about Nesmith. Love this kid's game. Think he can be a legit regular contributor by the end of next year honestly. His defense is already coming around. He's not consistently engaged in the offense all the time. And sometimes, other guys are just playing good so you want to give them some run to keep them engaged as well (Semi, Grant). I love that launch directly off the DHO from Tatum and coming off that curl to pull up at the top of the arc. I think those are gonna become staples of his career. And he's only 21. In 2-3 years just as the Jay's are entering their prime, this kid is going to be REALLY good if he's still here.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Post#615 » by JediMasterRevan » Thu Apr 8, 2021 1:57 am

I feel bad that Nesmith was drafted by boston.

Brad must really hate him to his core.
grindtime22
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,654

Post#616 » by grindtime22 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:04 am

JediMasterRevan wrote:I feel bad that Nesmith was drafted by boston.

He will be a rotation guy next year and we will move on to complaining about the next rookie
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#617 » by playa-hater » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:06 am

grindtime22 wrote:
JediMasterRevan wrote:I feel bad that Nesmith was drafted by boston.

He will be a rotation guy next year and we will move on to complaining about the next rookie

damn I hope you are right.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#618 » by Bleeding Green » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:07 am

Who is he supposed to play over? He hasn't done anything on either end to warrant playing time and he's a rookie with no preseason or team practices. I'm sure Stevens hates him, though.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,170

Post#619 » by djFan71 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:14 am

Bleeding Green wrote:Who is he supposed to play over? He hasn't done anything on either end to warrant playing time and he's a rookie with no preseason or team practices. I'm sure Stevens hates him, though.

He definitely hated Brown his rookie year. I heard it here.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#620 » by BostonCouchGM » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:28 am

Bleeding Green wrote:Who is he supposed to play over? He hasn't done anything on either end to warrant playing time and he's a rookie with no preseason or team practices. I'm sure Stevens hates him, though.

Langford, Semi, Grant? I mean, what has any of those three done above and beyond what little opportunity Nesmith has had to show he could do? Langford is bad on defense. Period. Yes he's smooth and looks the part but he's not anything special. Maybe he gets there. I don't count him as one of Danny's draft blunders. But to be out all season and almost immediately be put into the starting rotation over others? Clearly Brad has an issue with Nesmith. It's not even debatable. And yes, he absolutely had a major issue with Jaylen his rookie season when he'd pull him for mistakes others were making who didn't get pulled for. Jaylen took a few years to develop because Brad was holding him back. Young guys develop despite Brad and only because their talent is too much for even him to hold back for long. Look how long it's taken TimeLord to get consistent minutes, touches, and trust from Brad.
If you're Nesmith you're feeling dejected and he probably wishes we didn't draft him right now. He's probably hoping his agent can pressure a trade out of Boston in the offseason to go anywhere but here where he's seemingly blocked in perpetuity with no chance to get minutes. He's behind Jaylen, Smart, Grant, Fournier and Langford. It's just not in the cards for him. Maybe Brad was hoping Danny would draft someone else, maybe a big, and he's being spiteful? I don't know. But it sucks to be him right now. The team badly needs someone to just stand in the corner and shoot wide open threes off kicks from Brown, Tatum, Kemba and Smart and he's potentially a great shooter and he can't see the floor.

Return to Boston Celtics