Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,210

Re: 2020 Draft Thread, Part 2 

Post#2421 » by EvanZ » Tue Mar 9, 2021 2:25 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Now it's all coming together. He thought he was going to be picked second and after he was snubbed he decided to wear #2 to remind GS of the mistake they just made.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#2422 » by and1GS » Tue Mar 9, 2021 6:27 pm

Who cares?
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#2423 » by shazam_guy » Tue Mar 9, 2021 9:17 pm

All the slavering LaMelo stans, apparently.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#2424 » by HiRez » Tue Mar 9, 2021 11:01 pm

That's really hard to believe. I mean, if they told him weeks earlier, maybe, but they supposedly told him on draft night and changed their mind? I don't think so.
whocurrz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,453

Post#2425 » by whocurrz » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:43 pm

Credit to a guy on the GB who made the joke first but soon we should hear Danny Ainge adding on to this report that it’s true, the Warriors were picking Ball for a trade to Boston. Ainge “really liked” him but the deal inexplicably fell through at the last minute.

But serious if the story is true, it’s most likely that Myers told that to Ball but Lacob overruled that decision. Seems like the most likely way something gets that far only to be overridden that late is ownership making the final call.
Jarret Jack: “I brought one of my best suits. But looking down at this jersey, it’s just a sense of pride I don’t think I’ve ever felt as a professional. … Nothing in my closet is better than what I have on now."
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect
And1: 219

Post#2426 » by sonnyhill » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:23 pm

https://thespun.com/nba/charlotte-hornets/lamelo-ball-rookie-year-stats-draymond-green-reaction-first-take

Draymond Green Reacts To What He’s Seen From LaMelo Ball

Michael Jordan has a pretty rough history in the NBA Draft, as owner of the Charlotte Hornets. Midway through the 2020-21 season, however, it looks like he and the team’s front office nailed last year’s No. 3 pick with LaMelo Ball.

Ball was discussed as the potential No. 1 pick for a while, though there were lingering concerns about his ability as a shooter, his wayward path to the NBA, and of course, the LaVar Ball of it all. He’s made those concerns dissipate with his impressive play as a rookie so far.

In 35 games, Ball is averaging 15.8 points, six rebounds, and 6.3 assists per game, shooting 44.9/37.8/80.2 on the year. At 18.8, he has the highest PER of the league’s rookies.

Draymond Green is never shy about his opinion when it comes to league matters. On today’s First Take, he revealed that he’s a big fan of the youngest Ball brother.
Read on Twitter

“As I’ve watched him play, my goodness. I texted my mom not too long ago and said ‘You was right, LaMelo is a problem. He’s a problem,'” Green admitted, after his mother told him about the rookie’s game earlier in the year.

“I love his game. He’s super fast, which I had no clue he’s fast and downhill like that. He’s extremely smart. He don’t even know how to play the NBA game yet. He’s just out there playing, like a little kid in a candy store, just playing and having fun. But he’s very smart. He passes the ball with the best of them already. He’s 6’7″, he has incredible size. I think Charlotte, M.J. got this one right.”

If Draymond Green says that LaMelo Ball’s game is for real, you know he means it.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#2427 » by EvanZ » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:11 pm

whocurrz wrote:But serious if the story is true, it’s most likely that Myers told that to Ball but Lacob overruled that decision. Seems like the most likely way something gets that far only to be overridden that late is ownership making the final call.

Would make a lot of sense. Everyone knows Wiseman was Lacob's guy.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,831

Post#2428 » by whatisacenter » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:12 pm

EvanZ wrote:
whocurrz wrote:But serious if the story is true, it’s most likely that Myers told that to Ball but Lacob overruled that decision. Seems like the most likely way something gets that far only to be overridden that late is ownership making the final call.

really? based on what?
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#2429 » by EvanZ » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:14 pm

whatisacenter wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

really? based on what?

Following the franchise? Lacob has wanted a "legit big" going back to his pursuit of Dwight Howard. I mean just read the man's words.

“To be honest with you, he was my No. 1 forever, basically,” Lacob told The Athletic's Tim Kawakami. “I just think he’s a once-in-a-decade kind of guy. I would argue that, other than (Joel) Embiid, I don’t know that there’s another center prospect that’s come along in the last decade that you would put in the same category. Different players, maybe. But this guy is immensely talented."

He's not hiding it. Let's not pretend here.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/joe-lacob-thinks-warriors-got-once-decade-talent-james-wiseman
whatisacenter
RealGM

Post#2430 » by whatisacenter » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:20 pm

EvanZ wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

really? based on what?

Following the franchise? Lacob has wanted a "legit big" going back to his pursuit of Dwight Howard. I mean just read the man's words.

“To be honest with you, he was my No. 1 forever, basically,” Lacob told The Athletic's Tim Kawakami. “I just think he’s a once-in-a-decade kind of guy. I would argue that, other than (Joel) Embiid, I don’t know that there’s another center prospect that’s come along in the last decade that you would put in the same category. Different players, maybe. But this guy is immensely talented."

He's not hiding it. Let's not pretend here.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/joe-lacob-thinks-warriors-got-once-decade-talent-james-wiseman

but you make it sound like he made the pick over the rest of management. I am sure you can find glowing quotes for Wiseman from Kerr, Meyers, Curry and Dray too.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#2431 » by EvanZ » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:27 pm

whatisacenter wrote:
but you make it sound like he made the pick over the rest of management. I am sure you can find glowing quotes for Wiseman from Kerr, Meyers, Curry and Dray too.

I mean...not like this one. Believe what you want to believe my man. It's plainly obvious to most of us. At least, those of us who have been following the team for a while.
whatisacenter
RealGM

Post#2432 » by whatisacenter » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:59 pm

EvanZ wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:

I mean...not like this one. Believe what you want to believe my man. It's plainly obvious to most of us. At least, those of us who have been following the team for a while.

Whatever, I've been a fan of the Warriors for nearly 35 years.

You obviously have an agenda here and think you're the smartest guy in the room, carry on.
and1GS
RealGM
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#2433 » by and1GS » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:55 pm

What would you expect the owner to say about his #1 pick?

"He does some things well, lot of rough edges, could be a nice long term piece so we're excited."

All of us are just making guesses. We can debate those, but they're just guesses. And who wouldn't have coveted prime Dwight? I don't think that makes Lacob addicted to 5's....

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#2434 » by EvanZ » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:00 pm

whatisacenter wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:

Whatever, I've been a fan of the Warriors for nearly 35 years.

You obviously have an agenda here and think you're the smartest guy in the room, carry on.

My agenda is being a Warriors fan, not a homer.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#2435 » by EvanZ » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:00 pm

and1GS wrote:What would you expect the owner to say about his #1 pick?

Nothing? He really shouldn't be a big part of the equation.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#2436 » by EvanZ » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:02 pm

"He does some things well, lot of rough edges, could be a nice long term piece so we're excited."

All of us are just making guesses. We can debate those, but they're just guesses. And who wouldn't have coveted prime Dwight? I don't think that makes Lacob addicted to 5's....

How is it a guess when the dude literally said he had Wiseman #1 all along? You're not even taking him at his word? LOL

I'm sorry but everyone around the org knows Lacob's fetish for bigs.
and1GS
RealGM

Post#2437 » by and1GS » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:03 pm

EvanZ wrote:

Nothing? He really shouldn't be a big part of the equation.

I feel that's more a matter of preference. Do you want a boisterous basketball crazy owner or a veiled billionaire? I think there are merits in each, but you better believe both sides play a role in major org decisions.

Phase 3
Veteran
And1: 758

Post#2438 » by Phase 3 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:10 pm

Take this fwiw but Greg Papa said that Joe Lacob was a big fan of Lamelo but management ultimately decided on Wiseman.

Now, you’re probably thinking that Lacob is just leaking this in hindsight to save face. However, Greg Papa said this the day after the draft on his radio show...before Lamelo and Wiseman even participated in a single NBA practice or game.

Personally, I don’t care about credit or blame for drafting Wiseman and passing on Lamelo. What’s done is done...the organization chose Wiseman and I’m not interested in the politics surrounding the decision at this point. Everyone wants credit when things go right but nobody wants blame when things go wrong. That’s NBA ownership/management in a nutshell.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,142

Post#2439 » by TB » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:17 pm

Did Draymond talk about Wiseman on First Take as well?

Would assume so, as it would be pretty strange if he was on talking about the guy we didn't take and not his teammate.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#2440 » by EvanZ » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:47 pm

TB wrote:Did Draymond talk about Wiseman on First Take as well?

Would assume so, as it would be pretty strange if he was on talking about the guy we didn't take and not his teammate.

Of course, he said "But you know I'm rolling with James"

Man's got no choice now.

Return to Golden State Warriors