ImageImageImageImageImage

Lonzo Ball - What's your opinion of him?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,025

Lonzo Ball - What's your opinion of him? 

Post#1 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:31 am

I personally think we should go after him this summer, not just because I like his game, but also because of what it would mean for Quickley. I think it's pretty apparent that IQ is not a PG and our coaches have absolutely no intention of developing him as one anyway, so the pathway for him to start gets a little cloudy. You can't have a smaller PG with him, he's got great size for the 1 defensively with his 6'8" wingspan, but he's on the small side of things if he has to defend 2s. That is why I think Lonzo would be an excellent pickup, because he's the right type of backcourt player to pair up with IQ, he's a ball mover that can guard the 1 or 2 and will allow Quickley to be the score first guy and defend mostly 1s. If we can't find a big pg, wing or can't develop RJ into a good playmaker it will be hard to play Quickley as a starter in the future. You need someone to offset his scoring mentality, someone that can and will move the ball and lets him be the 2 on offense, sort of how his brother allows Rozier to look to score. This is a creative way to replace Payton and Bullock, with better playmaking, shooting and scoring.

I also like how Lonzo fits with RJ and Randle ( :banghead: ) because he can operate on the ball or off, and if he continues to shoot the way he has for the last 20 games you get a multi-purpose offensive player. The cons are that he's not a great isolation player, but if you have IQ, RJ and Randle out there you don't need yet another guy who needs to always be on the ball. Also, he was on fire from three last season until the bubble where his shooting went into a crater and lasted about 10 games into this season as well, so how real is the shot?

I am against trading for him if it's not for the bare minimum, with the Pelicans being a small market team we could definitely make their lives miserable in trying to match for him. But, I guess we'll see if they can move Eric Bledsoe, that will tell us if they plan on putting up a fight to keep Lonzo.
RealGM
And1: 39,138

Re: Lonzo Ball - What's your opinion of him? 

Post#2 » by 2010 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:41 am

I don't think anyone has pushed for him to be acquired by the Knicks harder than me.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM

Post#3 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:55 am

2010 wrote:I don't think anyone has pushed for him to be acquired by the Knicks harder than me.

There's two of us now.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,204

Post#4 » by mpharris36 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:57 am

2010 wrote:I don't think anyone has pushed for him to be acquired by the Knicks harder than me.

wait for my call in tonight...its part of my question

I don't think he is a thibs PG at all and I'm bringing the stats :lol:
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
RealGM

Post#5 » by 2010 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:02 am

mpharris36 wrote:

I don't think he is a thibs PG at all and I'm bringing the stats :lol:

Lookin' forward to your take!

TheGreenArrow
RealGM
And1: 32,943

Post#6 » by TheGreenArrow » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:02 am

I’d try and go all in on him rn.

Frank knox and two 2nd rd picks.

I don’t think we’ll be able to get him in fa!!!!
NewYorkOrNoWhere!!!!!!!!!!!!
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,183

Post#7 » by DOT » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:04 am

I think he compares pretty well to Brogdon, but younger

Like, I'm pretty sure he's the same age right now that Brogdon was when he was drafted

I think he'd fit pretty well next to two ball dominant guys in RJ and Randle, especially if his shot is legit.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,047

Post#8 » by 3toheadmelo » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:06 am

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:I personally think we should go after him this summer, not just because I like his game, but also because of what it would mean for Quickley. I think it's pretty apparent that IQ is not a PG and our coaches have absolutely no intention of developing him as one anyway, so the pathway for him to start gets a little cloudy. You can't have a smaller PG with him, he's got great size for the 1 defensively with his 6'8" wingspan, but he's on the small side of things if he has to defend 2s. That is why I think Lonzo would be an excellent pickup, because he's the right type of backcourt player to pair up with IQ, he's a ball mover that can guard the 1 or 2 and will allow Quickley to be the score first guy and defend mostly 1s. If we can't find a big pg, wing or can't develop RJ into a good playmaker it will be hard to play Quickley as a starter in the future. You need someone to offset his scoring mentality, someone that can and will move the ball and lets him be the 2 on offense, sort of how his brother allows Rozier to look to score. This is a creative way to replace Payton and Bullock, with better playmaking, shooting and scoring.

I also like how Lonzo fits with RJ and Randle ( :banghead: ) because he can operate on the ball or off, and if he continues to shoot the way he has for the last 20 games you get a multi-purpose offensive player. The cons are that he's not a great isolation player, but if you have IQ, RJ and Randle out there you don't need yet another guy who needs to always be on the ball. Also, he was on fire from three last season until the bubble where his shooting went into a crater and lasted about 10 games into this season as well, so how real is the shot?

I am against trading for him if it's not for the bare minimum, with the Pelicans being a small market team we could definitely make their lives miserable in trying to match for him. But, I guess we'll see if they can move Eric Bledsoe, that will tell us if they plan on putting up a fight to keep Lonzo.

But yes I wouldn’t mind Lonzo if he keeps this up
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
SelbyCobra
General Manager
And1: 17,843

Post#9 » by SelbyCobra » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:10 am

I've been super heavy against him over the past year or two, but I respect what I've seen so far and switched it up a bit this season. Still hate that he can't get his shot - and I don't trust his shooting yet - but I'd be perfectly happy if he replaced Elfrid on the roster this summer.

How much I'd trade for him right now is a whole different story from what I think of him in a vacuum, though.

EDIT: He definitely fills some of the biggest Knicks yearning I've had for years, outside of a competitive team - a point guard that can control the court and make everyone around him better.
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#10 » by br7knicks » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:26 am

i think he'd fit in quite well with this team, and what this team needs.

his dad is only allowed in the stadium once a year, though
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,898

Post#11 » by GONYK » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:38 am

You ready to play Lonzo $15-18M/yr?
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#12 » by GONYK » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:42 am

2010 wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

I don't think he is a thibs PG at all and I'm bringing the stats

What's the call in #?
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM

Post#13 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:55 am

3toheadmelo wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:I personally think we should go after him this summer, not just because I like his game, but also because of what it would mean for Quickley. I think it's pretty apparent that IQ is not a PG and our coaches have absolutely no intention of developing him as one anyway, so the pathway for him to start gets a little cloudy. You can't have a smaller PG with him, he's got great size for the 1 defensively with his 6'8" wingspan, but he's on the small side of things if he has to defend 2s. That is why I think Lonzo would be an excellent pickup, because he's the right type of backcourt player to pair up with IQ, he's a ball mover that can guard the 1 or 2 and will allow Quickley to be the score first guy and defend mostly 1s. If we can't find a big pg, wing or can't develop RJ into a good playmaker it will be hard to play Quickley as a starter in the future. You need someone to offset his scoring mentality, someone that can and will move the ball and lets him be the 2 on offense, sort of how his brother allows Rozier to look to score. This is a creative way to replace Payton and Bullock, with better playmaking, shooting and scoring.

But yes I wouldn’t mind Lonzo if he keeps this up

NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM

Post#14 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:56 am

GONYK wrote:You ready to play Lonzo $15-18M/yr?

Dante Exum got $11 million per, so yeah.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#15 » by GONYK » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:56 am

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
GONYK wrote:You ready to play Lonzo $15-18M/yr?

Dante Exum got $11 million per, so yeah.
Then the smart play is to trade for him
RealGM

Post#16 » by 2010 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:05 am

GONYK wrote:
2010 wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

I don't think he is a thibs PG at all and I'm bringing the stats

What's the call in #?

PM Moocow for the call-in process.

GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#17 » by GONYK » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:06 am

2010 wrote:
GONYK wrote:
2010 wrote:
What's the call in #?

Thanks. Congrats on the move to PodBean!
RealGM

Post#18 » by 2010 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:08 am

GONYK wrote:
2010 wrote:
GONYK wrote:What's the call in #?

Thanks. Congrats on the move to PodBean!

Thanks. Look forward to you calling in!

Spree2Houston
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,805

Post#19 » by Spree2Houston » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:11 am

Lonzo is slowly becoming a solid shooter. He’s definitely improved his shooting mechanics. It’s night and day compared to his rookie year. I would welcome him here
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,085

Post#20 » by moocow007 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:21 am

Would have to be more than just Lonzo. And of course also depends on how much. The Knicks need a true no.1 option. That's not Randle. That's not Barrett. And it also wouldn't be Lonzo Ball.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

Return to New York Knicks