whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,694

Re: 2020 Draft Thread, Part 2 

Post#2441 » by whatisacenter » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:48 pm

EvanZ wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
I mean...not like this one. Believe what you want to believe my man. It's plainly obvious to most of us. At least, those of us who have been following the team for a while.

Whatever, I've been a fan of the Warriors for nearly 35 years.

You obviously have an agenda here and think you're the smartest guy in the room, carry on.

My agenda is being a Warriors fan, not a homer.

Well if me not being able to keep Lamelo Ball's name out of my mouth makes me a homer, then call me a homer...
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,182

Post#2442 » by EvanZ » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:49 pm

whatisacenter wrote:
Well if me not being able to keep Lamelo Ball's name out of my mouth makes me a homer, then call me a homer...

At some point there will be a consensus even among Warriors fans that Melo is the more talented prospect and better player. When that day comes, I'll be done talking about it. Until then...
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect
And1: 217

Post#2443 » by sonnyhill » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:44 pm

EvanZ wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:

At some point there will be a consensus even among Warriors fans that Melo is the more talented prospect and better player. When that day comes, I'll be done talking about it. Until then...

Of course Ball is the better player, maybe even a generational talent; yet, here we are with Wiseman (perhaps the best big man prospect to wear a Warriors uniform since Wilt, Nate, and Parish). Can we discuss what Wiseman needs to do to improve his game?

My Wiseman thoughts (copied and pasted from a previous post):

1. Can Wiseman improve as a rebounder?
I believe that he can. He needs to block out his man on the defensive end and get more aggressive on the offensive end. Yet, these skills will only develop through more practice, skill development, and playing time. It will be painful for us to watch, but Wiseman can improve in this area.

2. Can Wiseman develop better "hands" so that he can become a better recipient of passes on the block and in traffic?
Big question mark on this one. Wiseman's hands painfully remind me of a "'poor man's' version of Adonal Foyle's hands," and that is pretty depressing.

3. Can Wiseman develop a low block game on offense?
I believe so. Again, practice, skill development, and playing time are going to all play into this equation. It would be amazing to see Wiseman develop a respectable low block offensive game to where he consistently would draw a double-team. If Wiseman can get to this point of development, then it will be incumbent upon Myers and Kerr to surround Wiseman with three-point shooters, and for us fans to hope that Wiseman can develop his passing skills from the low block (think Hakeem Olajuwon during the Rocket championship years).

4. Can Kerr utilize Wiseman on the perimeter, especially when on the floor with Green, where Green or even Wiggins could play on the block?
Green can easily find cutters as well as open perimeter players and get the ball to them quickly and efficiently. Wiggins can draw the double on the block (because of his ability to post up and pose a scoring threat) and needs to develop a better "feel" for finding the open man. I can see Wiseman and his spacing being an offensive weapon for the Warriors.

5. Can Wiseman become a better one-on-one and help defender?
Yes. Again, Wiseman needs time to develop.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#2444 » by and1GS » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:52 am

To be fair this is the draft thread. Literally the only place on this board where it makes sense for the LaMelo LaLovers to run rampant.

I like Wiseman a lot. I did want LaMelo, but still think James can be a star.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,793

Post#2445 » by cdubbz » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:15 am

To be honest this is the first Warrior high draft pick where I felt strongly about drafting the other player.

With Harrison Barnes, Curry, and all the long time ago picks - JRich, Jamison, Joe Smith, etc I felt no type of way.

Through watching many drafts there’s not many rules or tips I can give but one thing I do prefer: Draft the player with the proven ELITE NBA SKILL. My only *rule*. Elite NBA skill can be passing, shooting, rebounding, shot blocking etc.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
whocurrz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,452

Post#2446 » by whocurrz » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:43 am

I don’t think Myers and Kerr thought anyone was head and shoulders above man others in the top 10. Seemed like we had lots of leaks about Halliburton who is very much Kerr’s style and they were hoping to trade back and get him. When no trade back I think they liked both Wiseman and Lamelo but leaks like Wiseman dinner and being a face of franchise guy are definitely things ownership is all about. So if Myers did like Ball but got overruled it was probably Lacob, but I doubt they were devastated by the ruling as they probably had them similar tiers.
Jarret Jack: “I brought one of my best suits. But looking down at this jersey, it’s just a sense of pride I don’t think I’ve ever felt as a professional. … Nothing in my closet is better than what I have on now."
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,138

Post#2447 » by watch1958 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:28 pm

whocurrz wrote:I don’t think Myers and Kerr thought anyone was head and shoulders above man others in the top 10. Seemed like we had lots of leaks about Halliburton who is very much Kerr’s style and they were hoping to trade back and get him. When no trade back I think they liked both Wiseman and Lamelo but leaks like Wiseman dinner and being a face of franchise guy are definitely things ownership is all about. So if Myers did like Ball but got overruled it was probably Lacob, but I doubt they were devastated by the ruling as they probably had them similar tiers.
I'm trying to remember: when exactly was Klay's injury vs. the actual draft?
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#2448 » by Mylie10 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:06 pm

watch1958 wrote:
whocurrz wrote:I don’t think Myers and Kerr thought anyone was head and shoulders above man others in the top 10. Seemed like we had lots of leaks about Halliburton who is very much Kerr’s style and they were hoping to trade back and get him. When no trade back I think they liked both Wiseman and Lamelo but leaks like Wiseman dinner and being a face of franchise guy are definitely things ownership is all about. So if Myers did like Ball but got overruled it was probably Lacob, but I doubt they were devastated by the ruling as they probably had them similar tiers.

Klays injury was announced right before the draft was to start
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,138

Post#2449 » by watch1958 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:49 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
watch1958 wrote:

I wonder if that changed the Wiseman/Ball dynamic.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,125

Post#2450 » by TB » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:50 pm

Man that day sucked. I was soooo excited finishing work with NBA TV on doing predraft stuff.... and then the tweet came through...
Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Post#2451 » by Old_Blue » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:49 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
cdubbz wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:How do I join the fan club? Is there a membership fee? Do I have to subscribe to your website?

We’re more of a cult than a fan club. To ‘subscribe’ you just have to post about Lamelo everyday, twice a day.

Lol......I love Ball too. It’s just that it seems like I have to act like Warriors fans and the front office have their heads totally up their butts for liking Wiseman too lol

It has nothing to do with liking or not liking LaMelo. The simple fact of the matter is that LaMelo has a triggering effect. He's similar to Chris Paul in that regard.
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,720

Post#2452 » by floppymoose » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:29 pm

PJ Tucker available. Is there a GSW trade that works?
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,125

Post#2453 » by TB » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:48 pm

floppymoose wrote:PJ Tucker available. Is there a GSW trade that works?

Not really....

Either need to give them all our cheap contracts: Wanamaker, Chriss, Poole, Mulder, Smiley

Or

Use Looney + someone like Wanamaker

Tucker has been awful this year, so I don't think we could lose Looney for him since Looney has been better. Not to mention Looney and guys like Poole will be around next year and Tucker won't.

A lot of words to say, we would need to wait for a buyout. And at that point he probably signs elsewhere.

Only other option is DPE but I don't know if Lacob wants to spend that money when we are sitting in the 10 seed and Tucker has been terrible.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,136

Post#2454 » by wco81 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:52 pm

I'm sure Tucker wants to go to a contender. Then he'll have more motivation.
DevinVassell
Bench Warmer
And1: 843

Post#2455 » by DevinVassell » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:20 am

TB wrote:

Not really....

Either need to give them all our cheap contracts: Wanamaker, Chriss, Poole, Mulder, Smiley

Or

Use Looney + someone like Wanamaker

Tucker has been awful this year, so I don't think we could lose Looney for him since Looney has been better. Not to mention Looney and guys like Poole will be around next year and Tucker won't.

A lot of words to say, we would need to wait for a buyout. And at that point he probably signs elsewhere.

Only other option is DPE but I don't know if Lacob wants to spend that money when we are sitting in the 10 seed and Tucker has been terrible.

I think most of us like what Tucker brings, but your right... he has fallen off a cliff BIG TIME. Maybe it has to do with his situation but I doubt it. Buyer beware.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#2456 » by Mylie10 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:26 am

watch1958 wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:
watch1958 wrote:I'm trying to remember: when exactly was Klay's injury vs. the actual draft?

I wonder if that changed the Wiseman/Ball dynamic.

Personally I don’t. But I may be in the minority.

However to bolster my case, the work out and subsequent dinner happened long before the Klay injury
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#2457 » by Mylie10 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:28 am

He fits into the TPE and we can throw them a future second.

Tucker hasn’t shot it great this year, but from the off season until now, what’s the motivation for him in Houston?

Our team needs on and off the floor vets. We are lacking in guys who have been there and done it. And no matter how Tucker is shooting now, I’d take him making a big shot over Andrew Wiggins in the Playoffs. Even though Tucker was on that Rocket team that missed 37 threes lol.
Khoee wrote “
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,793

Post#2458 » by cdubbz » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:27 am

KJ Martin Jr (Kenyons son) made it on the Rockets and is getting minutes. went undrafted for obvious reasons. Part of the Sierra Canyon powerhouse. 6'6 high flyer with athleticism -- wonder if he could turn into something with Tuckers guidance.

could be a bruiser or just a physical SF at 6'6
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#2459 » by and1GS » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:32 am

EvanZ wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Now it's all coming together. He thought he was going to be picked second and after he was snubbed he decided to wear #2 to remind GS of the mistake they just made.

Thoughts now?

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/261870/Warriors-Would-Have-Taken-Anthony-Edwards-Over-LaMelo-Ball-At-No-2

I have my own, but I'm curious what others takeaways are here.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,182

Post#2460 » by EvanZ » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:46 am

I think they are just covering their asses at this point
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.

Return to Golden State Warriors