ImageImageImage

Svi traded for Diallo

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

mrroboto4889
Sophomore
And1: 34

Re: Svi traded for Diallo 

Post#61 » by mrroboto4889 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:15 am

Not surprised that the first wave of people posting about this just came to be negative without knowing what they're talking about.

If you only watch Pistons games, you probably have a higher opinion of Svi than you should and a lower opinion of Hami than you should. This isnt a downgrade or a lateral move. WE'RE GETTING THE BETTER PLAYER.

Btw, the 2nd is from Houston. Remember how excited we all were when we acquired that? No, me neither. 2nd rounders have never meant as much as they do today to a handful of people that enjoy complaining.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,721

Post#62 » by zeebneeb » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:22 am

Pharaoh wrote:Seems obvious to me that:

We weren't going to retain Svi this off-season.

They weren't going to retain Diallo this off-season.

2nd round pick facilitates the swap and both teams get a long look at a RFA.

Diallo seems to fit the Weaver mold: young, athletic, appears to be on the rise (likely due to work ethic).

Really not sure why there's so much negativity on the board when the roster is loaded with young dudes who have upside and the chance to grow here

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM mobile app
But...Second round picks!!!
Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,314

Post#63 » by Moses ShamMoses » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:32 am

My first reaction was who's Diallo and why does Weaver want him? Regarding Svi, meh, he plays hard which I respect but his game is pretty limited overall and is a streaky shooter. Sure, he's an NBA player but lets not kid ourselves thinking he's a more than a role-playing bench guy. I'm cool with the move and excited to see what Diallo can do with 20+ minutes per game.
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'
Sort
Rookie
And1: 444

Post#64 » by Sort » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:46 am

Can't comment on Diallo. I'm surprised some Piston faithful know him. I mean if you're a Piston fan, are you really watching other games of bottom feeders? Detroit is all I got in that department.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#65 » by tmorgan » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:48 am

I mean, didn’t dude win the dunk contest a couple years ago? This isn’t a complete nobody we traded for.

Let’s see what he has.
GBanga3
Rookie
And1: 404

Post#66 » by GBanga3 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:52 am

thesack12 wrote:
GBanga3 wrote:I mean everyone’s entitled to an opinion, but if you’re complaining about this please stop.

Svi stunk this year, poor defender, not a bad shot.
There’s guys here in Australia playing NBL that could step in and do a better job than him straight away.

Dudes possibly out of the league and back home in Euro soon enough.

Another great move by Weaver.

As I mentioned, I don't particularly care that Svi got moved, but man you should consider pumping the brakes on classifying this as a "great move." Diallo has just as much potential to wash out of the league as Svi does.

Yeah you’re probably right, “great move” possibly the wrong wording to go with.

I’ll go with “good move” based on believing Diallo will have a better/longer NBA career than Svi.

I think we’ve seen Svi’s ceiling and I’ve watched a few OKC games and Diallo definitely had some promising signs.
-Official #1 Australian Pistons Fan-
GBanga3
Rookie

Post#67 » by GBanga3 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:54 am

mattao313 wrote:
GBanga3 wrote:I mean everyone’s entitled to an opinion, but if you’re complaining about this please stop.

Svi stunk this year, poor defender, not a bad shot.
There’s guys here in Australia playing NBL that could step in and do a better job than him straight away.

Dudes possibly out of the league and back home in Euro soon enough.

Another great move by Weaver.

Sure Svi sucks but its not like Diallo is great so us giving a 2nd on top is a head scratcher. feels like we had to sweeten the deal for no reason.

We’ve sweetened the deal with a 2nd round pick that is a long way away, so not really that sweet for mine.
GBanga3
Rookie

Post#68 » by GBanga3 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:06 am

thesack12 wrote:
GBanga3 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
You're right they are used for filler all the time... With Detroit sending them out.

Its easy to say they are useless or easy to aquire right now, but I'll remember that on all these upcoming draft days when dudes start to fall down the board which will inevitably lead to numerous "I wish we had a 2nd to draft _______" posts.

I don't particularly care that Svi got moved, I just personally don't see the upside in this trade. Its a swap of meh to bad caliber players and both are free agents to be. To me its just a simple matter of Weaver bringing in one of his former draft picks with OKC, which on the surface is fine but nothing worth getting excited about, especially since Detroit is attaching an extra asset.

This method hasn’t let him down yet.

When has he brought in a former draft pick of his?

OKC didn't draft Grant, and if we are just talking former players in general the Justin Patton acquisition was pointless

My bad, (lucky you’re around to pull me up) but I mean Weaver bringing in one of his guys hasn’t let us down.

I don’t believe we invested too much in Justin Patton, actually pretty sure we signed Patton for nothing and then packaged him in a deal that netted us Bey, that’s a win! Haha
LaSheed
Bench Warmer
And1: 564

Post#69 » by LaSheed » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:21 am

Lmao people watching Troy Weaver build this team with athletic players and are now shocked when Svi gets traded.

80% of this board could take him off the dribble. One thing I wanted out of this deadline was a prospect SG and we got it. Could careless with what happens to Ellington. I predicted a buyout anyways.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,008

Post#70 » by HMFFL » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:36 am

I really like this trade for the Pistons. Congrats!

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#71 » by Pharaoh » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:46 am

Not 80% cause some of those dudes would be actively complaining to Svi about his D while they're attempting to take him off the bounce
LaSheed wrote:Lmao people watching Troy Weaver build this team with athletic players and are now shocked when Svi gets traded.

80% of this board could take him off the dribble. One thing I wanted out of this deadline was a prospect SG and we got it. Could careless with what happens to Ellington. I predicted a buyout anyways.

Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#72 » by Pharaoh » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:49 am

Playing in a lot of fantasy leagues means that when a "unknown" kid gets a fair few starts and begins putting up numbers I want to watch the kid for myself to see if there's anything to the hype.

I'd take him over Svi if only because of defensive potential.

But I'm the guy who wanted to keep Zhaire Smith and has been pretty happy with Weaver from day one so
Sort wrote:Can't comment on Diallo. I'm surprised some Piston faithful know him. I mean if you're a Piston fan, are you really watching other games of bottom feeders? Detroit is all I got in that department.

Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#73 » by Pharaoh » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:53 am

As a franchise we've never really valued draft picks, never really bought extra picks in amassed a war chest at any point I can remember...

Yet now some on this board are so into the Draft any 2nd is viewed as this amazing potential trade piece?

Time has changed the majority of the doom and gloom crowd. Only a few true holdouts that refuse to admit they were wrong
zeebneeb wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:Seems obvious to me that:

We weren't going to retain Svi this off-season.

They weren't going to retain Diallo this off-season.

2nd round pick facilitates the swap and both teams get a long look at a RFA.

Diallo seems to fit the Weaver mold: young, athletic, appears to be on the rise (likely due to work ethic).

Really not sure why there's so much negativity on the board when the roster is loaded with young dudes who have upside and the chance to grow here

But...Second round picks!!!

SamFlow
Pro Prospect
And1: 199

Post#74 » by SamFlow » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:37 am

First Impression. Nice trade. Potential where there wasn't before. Obviously needs work on the 3. If given a run. I'm for this trade.
BigDaddyJungle
SamFlow
Pro Prospect

Post#75 » by SamFlow » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:41 am

edmunder_prc wrote:Saben Lee is a second round pick.

Do we trade Saben Lee and Svi for 30+ games of Diallo?

We'll see if Diallo plays well, but not too well because then he will want a bigger contract than we are offering.

Or he might be a weaver guy that would rather have a chance to play for someone that believes in him.
BigDaddyJungle
SamFlow
Pro Prospect

Post#76 » by SamFlow » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:43 am

Pharaoh wrote:Not 80% cause some of those dudes would be actively complaining to Svi about his D while they're attempting to take him off the bounce
LaSheed wrote:Lmao people watching Troy Weaver build this team with athletic players and are now shocked when Svi gets traded.

Svi always seemed like a really good 'rec' player.
BigDaddyJungle
JohnReese
Senior
And1: 270

Post#77 » by JohnReese » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:57 am

We are gonna regret that move. I can see Svi having a Joe Harris career in Oklahoma and we could have extended him for a very low amount.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,943

Post#78 » by Uncle Mxy » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:08 pm

Have any of you Hamidon't complainers seen him play?
Han Solo
General Manager
And1: 7,443

Post#79 » by Han Solo » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:25 pm

HMFFL wrote:I really like this trade for the Pistons. Congrats!

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

Thanks man!
vic
Veteran
And1: 1,044

Post#80 » by vic » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:44 pm

I'm not mad at the trade... I actually like it. My only thoughts are what's the difference between Hamidou and Bruce Brown?

Both are same size but Bruce seems to be more productive and Hamidou gives more dunks and highlights. Both have potential to grow and improve and fit a role.

Is Weaver's philosophy really consistent or is he just favoring guys that he knows?

It's all good though. I liked Bruce so I'll probably like Diallo too.
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!

Return to Detroit Pistons