ImageImage

Ball Don't Lie: The LaMelo Ball Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,677

Re: Ball Don't Lie: The LaMelo Ball Thread 

Post#1441 » by homecourtloss » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:37 pm

Rich4114 wrote:LaMelo looks like he can lead an NBA team to wins based on not just his stats but the way he plays the game and his feel for the game. Trae knows how to get the stats but there should be serious question around his ability to lead his team to wins. Those are two different things believe it or not, to Dy’s point.

He’s a special player who’s extraordinarily calm and seemingly one step ahead. Once he gets physically stronger and improves his already solid finishing (one of the better left hand extensions in NBA right now) and continues to learn the game (especially on defense), he can be a viable MVP candidate you can build around,

Obviously, you can’t compare these rookies completely since their respective roles weren’t all necessarily optimized (Harden as a rookie, Steph under Jackson, Bron right out of high school, Jokic not optimized, Nash, etc.) and LaMelo plays in a league that seeks to optimize high impact offensive players usage. Even still, you do have some recent high impact offensive players here. It is extremely rare to see a high impact offensive rookie.

Rookie ORPM

LaMelo Ball, +4.85
Trae Young, +3.05
Damian Lillard, +2.66
Steph Curry, +2.52
LeBron James, +2.11
Luka Doncic, +1.87
Carmelo Anthony, +1.68
Chris Paul, +1.59
Lonzo Ball, +1.29
Nikola Jokic, +1.28
Ben Simmons, +1.22
Kevin Durant, +.83
Kenna Walker, +.76
John Wall, +.71
Derrick Rose, +.70
Russell Westbrook, +.50
Dwayne Wade, +.41
James Harden, +.21
Kyle Lowry, +.10 (only 10 games played)
Ricky Rubio, -.17
Ja Morant, -.21
Brad Beal, -.22
Steve Nash, -.23
De’Aaron Fox, -.28
Dirk Nowitzki, -.49
Anthony Davis, -.56
Tony Parker, -.61
Giannis, -.81
Rondo, -1.22
Sexton, -1.87
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,217

Post#1442 » by amcoolio » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:50 pm

vtime wrote:The first dozen pages or so of this thread are hilarious.

I was way wrong at first but once I did the research I wanted him over Edwards and Wiseman by a country mile, the thread proves it and I will stand on that hill :lol:
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
vtime
Rookie
And1: 245

Post#1443 » by vtime » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:25 pm

amcoolio wrote:

I was way wrong at first but once I did the research I wanted him over Edwards and Wiseman by a country mile, the thread proves it and I will stand on that hill :lol:

Lol. People flat out said no thanks. Didn’t want him. He was a 5 star prospect at 15 years old, shooting halfcourt threes at Chino Hills. The media turned on him because of dislike of his father but he was always a stud and the growth spurt just put the finishing touches on his game. Here he points at the line before drilling it with little effort.

BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#1444 » by BigSlam » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:36 pm

I know you can sign 2nd rounds to extended contracts straight away, but is there anyway a team can do that with a 1st round pick?

Or does the CBA mandate that 1st rounders have to play out their rookie contracts before being eligible for an extention?

BoB?

I’ve seen enough. I’d sign LaMelo to an 8 year contact today if we could.
B B M F 'ers
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,525

Post#1445 » by HornetJail » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:49 pm

BigSlam wrote:I know you can sign 2nd rounds to extended contracts straight away, but is there anyway a team can do that with a 1st round pick?

Or does the CBA mandate that 1st rounders have to play out their rookie contracts before being eligible for an extention?

BoB?

I’ve seen enough. I’d sign LaMelo to an 8 year contact today if we could.

I think you have to wait 3 years. There's obv no financial incentive to do it now for us. If he just stagnates and regresses like a Tyreke Evans, or gets hurt, then we're saddled with an awful long term contract.

But I think we can basically pencil in a 5 year max contract starting in 2024. He's definitely headed there barring injury or a weird regression for no reason.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,156

Post#1446 » by Rich4114 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:42 pm

KembaWalker wrote:honestly think you could ring LaMelo up a full 2 assists and half a turnover fewer per game if we had decent center other than Biz

You have to imagine we will eventually end up with an athletic rim running big and that guy will be the beneficiary of LaMelo. His assists will surely rise.
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,459

Post#1447 » by KembaWalker » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:04 pm

LaMelo reminds me why I hate this city this morning. I work around a bunch of hicks and they were talking about the Hornets and multiple dudes agreeing that LaMelo is good but they hate his "attitude"
was like an old school Cam Newton convo all over again. I'm waiting for the playoffs where they show him smiling and everyone here has a breakdown cause black athletes aren't allowed to have fun in Charlotte
James Gatz
Veteran
And1: 693

Post#1448 » by James Gatz » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:22 pm

KembaWalker wrote:LaMelo reminds me why I hate this city this morning. I work around a bunch of hicks and they were talking about the Hornets and multiple dudes agreeing that LaMelo is good but they hate his "attitude"
was like an old school Cam Newton convo all over again. I'm waiting for the playoffs where they show him smiling and everyone here has a breakdown cause black athletes aren't allowed to have fun in Charlotte

It becomes more and more clear how racism infected the LaVar Ball takes. If Trevor Lawrence's dad the same thing the level of hate would have never reached the same height.
countryboi
Head Coach
And1: 1,303

Post#1449 » by countryboi » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:52 pm

I dont think I have ever been this wrong about a player before
The Cut Podcast, An Hilarious barbershop style discussion podcast. Watch us on Youtube and listen to us on all major Podcast Platforms. https://linktr.ee/thecut_podcast
James Gatz
Veteran

Post#1450 » by James Gatz » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:26 pm

countryboi wrote:

I dont think I have ever been this wrong about a player before

8-) 8-) 8-)

Spoiler:
Hayes looked bad and I'd probably take Wiseman over Okongwu at this point. So not like I'm batting a thousand.
vorbis
Veteran
And1: 671

Post#1451 » by vorbis » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:43 pm

KembaWalker wrote:LaMelo reminds me why I hate this city this morning. I work around a bunch of hicks and they were talking about the Hornets and multiple dudes agreeing that LaMelo is good but they hate his "attitude"

this is baffling. literally what the hell is wrong with LaMelo's attitude? or are they madlibbing some garbage opinion and just putting LaMelo's name in the blank labeled "young basketball player who is fun to watch"
Trey24
Sixth Man
And1: 2,001

Post#1452 » by Trey24 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:01 pm

James Gatz wrote:

It becomes more and more clear how racism infected the LaVar Ball takes. If Trevor Lawrence's dad the same thing the level of hate would have never reached the same height.

Blaming that on racism is a REALLY horrible take, come on man. There is on reason and one reason only why Lavar was "blackballed", and it has everything to do with ESPN and other major media conglomerates.
James Gatz
Veteran

Post#1453 » by James Gatz » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:07 pm

Trey24 wrote:
James Gatz wrote:

Blaming that on racism is a REALLY horrible take, come on man. There is on reason and one reason only why Lavar was "blackballed", and it has everything to do with ESPN and other major media conglomerates.

So you don't think racism had anything to do with how the media portrayed LaVar? I think it's time to examine your own privilege my man!
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,509

Post#1454 » by LofJ » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:11 pm

LaMelo by all accounts both on the court and off it from teammates and coaches is that he's a joy to be around. For normal, well-adjusted people that's the perfect attitude for someone to have.

They're basically saying "he's happy and enjoys his job, I don't like that, he should be miserable like me." Cut people like that out of your life if you can, you'll be a lot happier.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#1455 » by BigSlam » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:26 pm

James Gatz wrote:
Trey24 wrote:
James Gatz wrote:

So you don't think racism had anything to do with how the media portrayed LaVar? I think it's time to examine your own privilege my man!

LaVar has been a loud mouthed, abrasive, attention grabbing, annoying headline stealing distraction.

Doesn't matter if the person is black, white, red, green, blue or transparent - the things he has outlandishly said would bring them under the scrutiny of most people, media and general public alike.

If Trevor Lawrence's Dad made massive and continually outlandish statements and then capped it off by saying that he personally is a better QB than Brady then he'd come under just as much fire as LaVar as LaVar did when he said he'd beat MJ one-on-one without doubt.

LaVar is the victim of his own set of circumstances that he has created - not his race.
B B M F 'ers
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,391

Post#1456 » by Hornet Mania » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:16 pm

Yeah, it's going to suck if racist idiots disparage LaMelo the same way they did Cam. Those people have no idea how fortunate the city is to get athletes like that who represent the area well and make the game fun for everyone.

I can't say I subscribe to the idea Lavar Ball is a victim of racism though. If anyone acted the way he did they'd be labeled as an arrogant douche and deservedly so. The fact both Lonzo and Melo are so unlike him in the way they carry themselves is a huge plus. Maybe they have a humble mom, or it's a weird reverse-rebellious thing, but it's a feather in their caps. I don't think I could handle a superstar Melo with the self-aggrandizing nature of Lavar.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,525

Post#1457 » by HornetJail » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:34 pm

LaVar subscribed to the Donald Trump "say whatever, any publicity is good publicity" stunt that I hate, while Lonzo was in the draft process and early in his Lakers tenure. That isn't a black or white thing, that's a LaVar Ball being a loudmouth douche thing.

I'll fully admit I thought the Ball brothers (especially Melo) were mostly hype and got drafted highly because of all the extra publicity. I'm very glad to be wrong on that front.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Rays Pompadour
Senior
And1: 418

Post#1458 » by Rays Pompadour » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:43 pm

Lavar Ball's actions and rhetoric may be idiotic, but he's no fool. He's made hyperbole his PR technique. Everything- his ego, his athleticism, his house, his car...his kids. They're all made larger than life to project a brand that's probably as fake as the persona.

LaMelo has grown up with the facade, has accepted it as part of his life and lives it as much as it has been created for him. The thing you don't really see is the same larger-than-life talk from LaMelo that comes out of Lavar's mouth. That's good, very good. Let daddy flap his gums to sell shoes or whatever. All Melo needs to do is ball, smile real big and collect checks.
James Gatz
Veteran

Post#1459 » by James Gatz » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:07 pm

LaVar is far from a perfect man. I don't particularly like him very much. Yet to say that race wasn't a factor in his portrayal or our own perception is a falsehood. America (the media, the police, etc) treats black people more harshly than their white counterparts. It also tends to condemn especially harshly people of color who are outspoken. LaVar is a classic case of such.

The doesn't matter "black, white, red, green, blue" is a classic case of undiscovered basis. It does matter who is white, black, asian, latino. It might not in a huge way, but we all have racial basis. It's up to us to examine those basis to create a more just society. Merely saying "I'm not a racist" isn't enough.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,165

Post#1460 » by SWedd523 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:57 pm

BigSlam wrote:
James Gatz wrote:
Trey24 wrote:

LaVar has been a loud mouthed, abrasive, attention grabbing, annoying headline stealing distraction.

Doesn't matter if the person is black, white, red, green, blue or transparent - the things he has outlandishly said would bring them under the scrutiny of most people, media and general public alike.

If Trevor Lawrence's Dad made massive and continually outlandish statements and then capped it off by saying that he personally is a better QB than Brady then he'd come under just as much fire as LaVar as LaVar did when he said he'd beat MJ one-on-one without doubt.

LaVar is the victim of his own set of circumstances that he has created - not his race.

100%

You devalue the actual occurrences of racism when you cry wolf over and over because you’re seeing ghosts around every corner

Return to Charlotte Hornets