ImageImageImageImageImage

Community Thread LXII: Vaccines Can't Fix Stupid

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

coach-bdj
Junior
And1: 108

Australian Open 2021: Osaka is a Beast 

Post#61 » by coach-bdj » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:23 pm

I know it isn't Basketball, but for all you Tennis fans out there.... Osaka is a BEAST and turns to Kobe for Extra Strenght.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/naomi-osaka-wore-lakers-sweater-154330154.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=fb&tsrc=fb

The kid is 23 and I'm looking forward to watching her play for years to come.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,377

Re: Community Thread LXII: Vaccines Can't Fix Stupid 

Post#62 » by Danny Darko » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:25 am

Slava wrote:
hermes wrote:so its a small sample size but i'm surprised at the number of stations i've come across that have english songs playing in european countries that don't primarily speak english. an example is a town northeast of paris playing 'here i go again' by whitesnake

but then my brother reminded me that the united states kind of won the culture war

That's quite common, they play pop music and Taylor Swift, even at small town grocery stores here in Denmark.

So how much Danish are you speaking? also what is your favorite local cuisine?
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Post#63 » by ForeverRDjazz » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:17 am

Good call and appropriate report that politics should be avoided as much as is realistic, especially now that it's not unavoidable minute by minute like it was previously.

No official warning, let's just carry on with the good stuff.

DD
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,413

Post#64 » by Slava » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:07 am

Danny Darko wrote:
Slava wrote:
hermes wrote:so its a small sample size but i'm surprised at the number of stations i've come across that have english songs playing in european countries that don't primarily speak english. an example is a town northeast of paris playing 'here i go again' by whitesnake

but then my brother reminded me that the united states kind of won the culture war

That's quite common, they play pop music and Taylor Swift, even at small town grocery stores here in Denmark.

I took and passed the government offered language tests, so I can read and write danish. However speaking is much harder as Danish pronunciation is very different from the script, if someone can’t speak English, I could get by with my danish but almost everyone in Scandinavia speaks English, so it’s been easier to get by right from the get go.

Favorite cuisine is still probably TexMex or South Indian. Scandinavian baking and desserts are amazing but the overall everyday cuisine is quite bland.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#65 » by Danny Darko » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:31 pm

Slava wrote:
Danny Darko wrote:
Slava wrote:

I took and passed the government offered language tests, so I can read and write danish. However speaking is much harder as Danish pronunciation is very different from the script, if someone can’t speak English, I could get by with my danish but almost everyone in Scandinavia speaks English, so it’s been easier to get by right from the get go.

Favorite cuisine is still probably TexMex or South Indian. Scandinavian baking and desserts are amazing but the overall everyday cuisine is quite bland.

I would not have guessed Denmark had texmex haha! good thing you escaped texas to the wintery north where they are at least prepared for it.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#66 » by Slava » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:41 pm

Danny Darko wrote:
Slava wrote:
Danny Darko wrote:

I would not have guessed Denmark had texmex haha! good thing you escaped texas to the wintery north where they are at least prepared for it.

It actually doesn't get any colder here than North Texas, at least the summers are truly pleasant and not needing A/C hot. Its almost a ritual for the Scandinavians to take winter vacation to hit the slopes in Austria or Northern Italy, which brought the scourge of covid to this country. Otherwise, we could be as good as New Zealand right now if we closed borders.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,545

Post#67 » by hermes » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:45 pm

dang scandinavians
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#68 » by Danny Darko » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:35 am

Read on Twitter
hermes
RealGM

Post#69 » by hermes » Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:37 pm

anyone got the vaccine yet?
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#70 » by Kilroy » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:57 am

Took my daughter to the park today and 2 old ladies asked if I was John Cena... I worry about their eyesight, but I'll take it. :-)

Should I be concerned about how much my wife laughed when I relayed the story? :ouch:
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,188

Post#71 » by Mamba Mentality » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:36 pm

hermes wrote:anyone got the vaccine yet?

I got my first dose of the Moderna vaccine at the start of the month. Scheduled for my second dose in a couple weeks.
hermes
RealGM

Post#72 » by hermes » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:21 pm

Kilroy wrote:Took my daughter to the park today and 2 old ladies asked if I was John Cena... I worry about their eyesight, but I'll take it. :-)

Should I be concerned about how much my wife laughed when I relayed the story? :ouch:

older ladies are into wrestling?
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#73 » by Kilroy » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:09 am

hermes wrote:
Kilroy wrote:Took my daughter to the park today and 2 old ladies asked if I was John Cena... I worry about their eyesight, but I'll take it. :-)

older ladies are into wrestling?

They were muttering about movies before they said it... So I'm guessing they don't even know he was a wrestler.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#74 » by Slava » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:22 pm

I watched BlackKKlansman, Tenet and only just realized John David Washington is Denzels kid. He shares his Dad's talent but not much resemblance.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#75 » by Danny Darko » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:30 pm

Slava wrote:I watched BlackKKlansman, Tenet and only just realized John David Washington is Denzels kid. He shares his Dad's talent but not much resemblance.

but his voice is fully Denzel
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#76 » by Danny Darko » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:34 pm

Yep moderna.

Not sure i'll get the second because you are already at 92% after 1 and folks with inner issues have been getting months of vertigo with the 2nd including my former emt partner who is a firefighter captain.

That being said I would recommend getting vaccinated. If you are creeped out by RNA (I'm not) then go get the johnson and johnson as it's just he regular flu shot spike protein tech and you can always get RNA down the road if you want.

My wife and I's experience with shot 1 has been similar: crazy sore arm, random fleeting headaches, and some fatigue. On day 4 now I seem to have kicked the symptoms and i'm feeling pretty stoked that we can have folks come through the door at the studio without being concerned i'm exposing myself and family to death to make a buck.
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,221

Post#77 » by EArl » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:51 am

Getting my 1st dose tomorrow. Wife got hers today.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
EArl
RealGM

Post#78 » by EArl » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:52 am

Also RIP DMX. 50 yrs. Too young...
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#79 » by Slava » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:51 pm

That man had a lot of absolute bangers. RIP.

In unrelated news, I defended my PhD thesis yesterday. :beer:
EArl
RealGM

Post#80 » by EArl » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:29 pm

Here to report that im still alive after the 1st dose of the Moderna vaccine.
Arms a little sore, but ill live.

What are you doing your thesis on Slava?

Return to Los Angeles Lakers