ImageImageImage

RS 20/21 - Mavs vs Clippers (Mon, 9PM EST)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

RS 20/21 - Mavs vs Clippers (Mon, 9PM EST) 

Post#21 » by ejs78 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:08 am

Also don't give a crap if the Clippers got blown out last night. Leonard still played 30min and they didn't role over like the Mavs do on every B2B.
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,753

Re: RS 20/21 - Mavs vs Clippers (Mon, 9PM EST) 

Post#22 » by leolozon » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:10 am

Bad TOs cost the team in the 4th.

Team still sucked in the clutch, including Doncic who went 0/4 with 1 TO in the last 4 minutes. His floater game was off, didn't he miss like 5?

Incredibly disappointing game.
Joshrm
Sophomore
And1: 33

Post#23 » by Joshrm » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:10 am

Luke missed 7 bunny’s in game 2 in four quarter.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,951

Post#24 » by Archx » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:10 am

I think Luka is playing for 15 mins straight now, since the 3rd Q. His legs are not there anymore, specially being out of shape as he already is. I don't know what are these rotations lately...
But anyway, they lost the game in the weirdest way possible. If you look at the +/- stat and Luka having 16 assists triple double, really crazy loss. LAC did play great defense though.

Also, Mavs 5 FTA TOTAL AS A TEAM?? What the hell is that? Clippers were insanely aggressive yet fouled only 12 times? I don't believe it.
agentofatlas
Sixth Man
And1: 983

Post#25 » by agentofatlas » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:11 am

Welp. That sucks. What bad game defensively. Also Luka has been in a slump offensively lately hopefully he shoots out of it.

Man, I really wish they didn't punt that Thunder game.
Joshrm
Sophomore
And1: 33

Post#26 » by Joshrm » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:13 am

He still had 5 in first half and had stupid fouls all game
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,753

Post#27 » by leolozon » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:16 am

Archx wrote:I think Luka is playing for 15 mins straight now, since the 3rd Q. His legs are not there anymore, specially being out of shape as he already is. I don't know what are these rotations lately...
But anyway, they lost the game in the weirdest way possible. If you look at the +/- stat and Luka having 16 assists triple double, really crazy loss. LAC did play great defense though.

In the 2nd they took Luka out with 5min left and put him back with 2 minutes left. And then they make him play the whole 4th. Maybe if he was in great shape, but it looks like playing 3 months of basketball is still not enough.

It's like they pick rotations out of a hat. I don't know what they were thinking.

Now that Powell doesn't play and catch passes at the 3pt line, I think the shot I dislike the most is JRich catching a pass at the 3pt line and driving only to shoot a fade away jumper that seems to go in 1/5 times.
Absinthe
Pro Prospect
And1: 452

Post#28 » by Absinthe » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:36 am

The problem with this team is that all of the role players don’t have set roles. I’m not sure what DFS’s role is on the team. Same goes for Kleiber or Richardson. They’re just out there doing whatever. What made those Spurs teams, the Mavs championship team, or even the Lakers last year so good is every player knew their role. I can’t help feel that a lot of these rotations are, “For the love of god, I hope these guys do at least something. Defend, make shots, rebound. Anything.”
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,003

Post#29 » by HMFFL » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:45 am

Tough loss tonight.
LAC played good team basketball with seven guys scoring double digits.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Heezzi
Pro Prospect
And1: 259

Post#30 » by Heezzi » Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:17 am

Archx wrote:I think Luka is playing for 15 mins straight now, since the 3rd Q. His legs are not there anymore, specially being out of shape as he already is. I don't know what are these rotations lately...

Also, Mavs 5 FTA TOTAL AS A TEAM?? What the hell is that? Clippers were insanely aggressive yet fouled only 12 times? I don't believe it.

Luka had 3 TOs in the 4th Qtr.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#31 » by Pinkyring » Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:17 am

If this team doesn't make a move by the deadline I'm out for the season Dorian and maxi aren't starters and 1 or both should be moved. I'd do dorian maxi and burke for Aaron Gordon
Absinthe
Pro Prospect
And1: 452

Post#32 » by Absinthe » Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:28 am

Pinkyring wrote:If this team doesn't make a move by the deadline I'm out for the season Dorian and maxi aren't starters and 1 or both should be moved. I'd do dorian maxi and burke for Aaron Gordon

I can’t see Orlando doing that. They’d probably want a pick too. I think most teams are going to ask for Brunson or a pick. Teams aren’t dumb. DFS and Kleiber would probably be back ups even on a team like the Magic.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect
And1: 240

Post#33 » by RingColluder » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:14 am

Clippers fan here. Good game. What in the world is management doing though?

The 3 non Luka KP starters looked awful. I thought Tim Hardaway was a starter? Him or Brunson was needed, really no one on the team impressed me that much.

What exactly have Cuban and Carlisle been doing? I can't believe this is the full team, are you saving cap space?

Get Luka one more star and they should be good. He is special.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,554

Post#34 » by Bob8 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:45 am

This is how great D looks. Nobody except DFS had an easy shot the whole game. Mavs never looked as they can win a game. The main problem is Richardson, when Luka is out. He just cannot organise anything. Luka had netrtg +1.7, Richardson - 32.8. There is where the game was lost. Put CP3 instead of Richardson and Mavs are title contenders. Just incredible how they **** offseason. We should be honest, roster is just not good enough for anything else than fighting for playoffs. Luka and KP alone are enough for winning against bad teams, but realistically how can they beat a team like Clippers in a series with that roster?
XTraderXL
Sixth Man
And1: 1,342

Post#35 » by XTraderXL » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:58 am

Maxi probably has the lowest BBIQ on this team. He doesnt think on defense, he plays instinctively which is ok most times but situationally he always messes up. He is incredibly unaware.

On offense he should do the simple thing every time. Make the easy pass, shoot when open, cut, screen, roll. That is it. Dont put the ball on the floor and do not try fancy passes. He tried a few times yesterday and they were all terrible. The guy is not a starter on a good team, he will cost the Mavs in the playoffs if this is his role.

They need a good SF though, DFS is not it. A very good backup but not a starter.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#36 » by Bob8 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:12 am

XTraderXL wrote:Maxi probably has the lowest BBIQ on this team. He doesnt think on defense, he plays instinctively which is ok most times but situationally he always messes up. He is incredibly unaware.

On offense he should do the simple thing every time. Make the easy pass, shoot when open, cut, screen, roll. That is it. Dont put the ball on the floor and do not try fancy passes. He tried a few times yesterday and they were all terrible. The guy is not a starter on a good team, he will cost the Mavs in the playoffs if this is his role.

They need a good SF though, DFS is not it. A very good backup but not a starter.

Yes Kleber is very limited player but Kleber at least shoots 46% for 3. What about Richardson, he's not scorer, shooter or playmaker, he doesn't look anything special in D either. What is his value for the team?
I can understand if Mavs cannot get CP3 or Lowry, but even Rubio is much better than Richardson and he should be cheap. I would even try with Dragic for 1 year. Richardson cannot be second guard and he's even worse running second unit.
DrPampiloni
Junior
And1: 363

Post#37 » by DrPampiloni » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:47 am

Archx wrote:It's sad when Batum becomes more dangerous on offense than DFS. But at least DFS is hustling and trying to play some defense. Mavs need to feed KP more in the post. He's hot in the 2nd half.

I don't know where the first part of your post is coming from: Batum in his prime was a (very) borderline all-star type of player with his all-around game and efficient shooting. Even with his game falling off a cliff in Charlotte, in his last full season there he was averaging 9p,5r,3a on 45-39-87 shooting splits. His lowest-point was still higher than Dodo's ceiling, let that sink in. I was even a bit annoyed the Mavs did not try after him and went after James Johnson, who is older btw. I think I even suggested it on the board here somewhere.

OTOH, I agree with the second part of the post. KP should have gotten a lot of touches when he got back in in the fourth. Get Zubac out of that paint! Luka was gassed and should have gotten a break before his 5th foul. This L is on Carlisle for very poor management!
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,951

Post#38 » by Archx » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:51 am

Bob8 wrote:
XTraderXL wrote:Maxi probably has the lowest BBIQ on this team. He doesnt think on defense, he plays instinctively which is ok most times but situationally he always messes up. He is incredibly unaware.

Yes Kleber is very limited player but Kleber at least shoots 46% for 3. What about Richardson, he's not scorer, shooter or playmaker, he doesn't look anything special in D either. What is his value for the team?
I can understand if Mavs cannot get CP3 or Lowry, but even Rubio is much better than Richardson and he should be cheap. I would even try with Dragic for 1 year. Richardson cannot be second guard and he's even worse running second unit.

To be fair, Jrich started to play a bit better in the last couple of games plus he played defense in this one aswell. But yes, like you said, Mavs have ZERO 2ndary playmakers. Rick is forced to play Luka almost entire 2nd half in games like these and it has more negative effects than anything else...

1st Q was basically where Mavs lost the game in my mind. Rick's weird Sub pattern continues and this time i think RIck also needs to take some blame. Mavs played good until he subbed Luka out in less than 6 mins, after that, LAC made a huge run and no one knew how to get the ball to KP in the post anymore. They were lost and went down -14. Mavs spent too much energy by chasing them back and LAC is a veteran team full of good defenders and simply took advantage of that.

DrPampiloni wrote:
Archx wrote:It's sad when Batum becomes more dangerous on offense than DFS. But at least DFS is hustling and trying to play some defense. Mavs need to feed KP more in the post. He's hot in the 2nd half.

I don't know where the first part of your post is coming from: Batum in his prime was a (very) borderline all-star type of player with his all-around game and efficient shooting. Even with his game falling off a cliff in Charlotte, in his last full season there he was averaging 9p,5r,3a on 45-39-87 shooting splits. His lowest-point was still higher than Dodo's ceiling, let that sink in. I was even a bit annoyed the Mavs did not try after him and went after James Johnson, who is older btw. I think I even suggested it on the board here somewhere.

OTOH, I agree with the second part of the post. KP should have gotten a lot of touches when he got back in in the fourth. Get Zubac out of that paint! Luka was gassed and should have gotten a break before his 5th foul. This L is on Carlisle for very poor management!

Well you kinda answered yourself there, is he still in his prime? :D But he is shooting 44% from 3pt range, that is true.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#39 » by Bob8 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:25 am

Archx wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

To be fair, Jrich started to play a bit better in the last couple of games plus he played defense in this one aswell. But yes, like you said, Mavs have ZERO 2ndary playmakers. Rick is forced to play Luka almost entire 2nd half in games like these and it has more negative effects than anything else...

1st Q was basically where Mavs lost the game in my mind. Rick's weird Sub pattern continues and this time i think RIck also needs to take some blame. Mavs played good until he subbed Luka out in less than 6 mins, after that, LAC made a huge run and no one knew how to get the ball to KP in the post anymore. They were lost and went down -14. Mavs spent too much energy by chasing them back and LAC is a veteran team full of good defenders and simply took advantage of that.

DrPampiloni wrote:

Well you kinda answered yourself there, is he still in his prime? :D But he is shooting 44% from 3pt range, that is true.

+2 and -33 in Nrtg is huge difference, especially if 2 players are starting together.

Luka and Richardson play a lot together, but Luka has +2 +/- for the season and Richardson -3. -5.4 on/off is pretty bad too. Add bad % for 3 and very few assists and it's obvious that Richardson is more or less useless. Everyone will have few good games in a season, but that's just not enough for a starter, if you want to have good team. Richardson should be 3rd best Mavs player.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,003

Post#40 » by HMFFL » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:52 am

Clippers only favored by 1.5 points was odd anyways.

Our Mavs have possibly the least amount of talent of any team after Luka and KP. We have zero depth. We need a miracle in free agency and in the draft.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

Return to Dallas Mavericks